Categories > Cartoons > X-Men: Evolution > Aftermath

CHAPTER 5

by Quillian 0 reviews

Colossus' POV...

Category: X-Men: Evolution - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst, Drama - Characters: Colossus - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-02-19 - Updated: 2006-02-19 - 836 words

0Unrated
DISCLAIMER: See the Prologue.

SPECIAL DISCLAIMER: See the Prologue.


CHAPTER 5

After breakfast, Piotr Rasputin headed back up to his own room to get back to work on some drawings he was working on.

As an artist, he knew and understood the importance of being able to use art as a means of self-expression and escape. It was actually one of few freedoms he had while serving as an Acolyte for Magneto.

Here, Colossus bristled, still thinking about the former enemy of the X-Men along with all humankind. Part of him still hated the master of magnetism for coercing him into being a lackey, with every fiber of his being. But now, after seeing Magneto's change of heart for himself, the Russian-born mutant was now two minds about the subject. One part of him still hated Magneto for what he had done, while the other part sought a sort of closure to the whole ordeal.

Understanding why Magneto did all those things may not have been the same thing as forgiving him for those things, but at least it helped put Piotr's mind at ease about some things.

Still... there was also the parental factor to take into account. Perhaps with his twin children in trouble, Magneto's lust for vengeance was overridden by parental instinct? Magneto might have been a confused man with tyrannical tendencies... but there was also no doubting that deep down, he was a father all the same.

Think of someone else, Piotr, he told himself. Dwelling on it will do you no good.

Piotr managed to do that by thinking of someone close to him: His little sister, Illyana. His "little snowflake." After the entire ordeal they went through with Stryker, Kelly, Trask, and the FOH, Magneto combined his wealth and resources with Xavier, as well as split it up with their fellow survivors. Now Colossus' family had enough to be financially well off for years to come. They already had put a small amount of it aside so they could visit Piotr in the United States, not only to be reunited with him after the ordeal, but also to meet his new girlfriend.

Piotr managed to find other ways to think about things other than Magneto. He took his time to get familiar with some of the other people he hadn't met, as well as contemplate on how some of the people he already knew had changed.

His heart definitely went out to Raven, who lost her adopted daughter - what was her name? Rogue? - and from what he could tell, never got the chance to make amends with her.

To some extent, Piotr already knew Magneto's children, Pietro and Wanda. Pietro had been humbled by all the fighting and his own personal brush with death, while Wanda's life seemed to be brightening up a bit.

He had also come to meet Scott Summer's younger brother, Alex, who had no choice but to adjust to this new life at the Institute after losing his old one forever.

Of course, there was also Professor Xavier himself, whose dream in peace between humans and mutants looked stronger than ever. Even though he had not been an X-Man for very long, Piotr already held great respect for the man.

He kept thinking about the other people...

...And his mind eventually trailed back to Kitty "Shadowcat" Pryde.

From what Piotr could observe, Kitty had once been one of the more naïve X-Men. However, he could tell that this whole incident had helped toughen her into a strong young woman.

He had already done some drawings of her, and she had already volunteered to pose for some more.

Speaking of his own art... Piotr now turned back to the task of working on one of his more somber projects: Drawing portraits of those mutants who died in those genocidal attacks.

Once Piotr started working on these portraits, he just couldn't stop. He just felt the need to put faces on the victims, so they would go down as people to be remembered, and not some sort of statistics somewhere.

Not only did this whole mutant massacre bear a frightening resemblance to the Holocaust instigated by Hitler, but it also reminded Piotr of the Great Purges during Stalin's rule of the U.S.S.R. In fact, statistically speaking, Stalin killed more people in the long run than Hitler ever did.

Even today, there were all kinds of people claiming that the Holocaust from World War II never happened. With the remnants of the FOH and other mutant hate groups, there would no doubt be others trying to claim that this mutant massacre never happened.

Not only did the evidence speak for itself, but Piotr felt that a deeper view into the lives of those who were killed was necessary.

Sitting down, he got back to work.


A/N: Well, I hope I did this one okay.

Now that I'm done with the former Acolyte and Brotherhood members, I can move on to some other people now... -Quillian
Sign up to rate and review this story