Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Love Has No Age

Wards

by Easysurfing 5 reviews

Harry devels more into his new magic as he tried to protect what is his.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Angst,Erotica,Romance - Characters: Ginny,Harry,Hermione,Ron - Published: 2008-03-05 - Updated: 2008-03-05 - 7222 words

5Original
Chapter 32:- WardsA/N:- Malehorntaildragon did his normal work on this chapter, thanks!

Harry looked at the rock that he was practicing on and just knew that he had failed yet again. For almost two weeks now both him and Hermione had been trying to perfect casting wards but had failed. To say that they had both failed would have been wrong almost immediately they actually started to use their wands Hermione had placed a powerful ward on her rock but now two weeks later she still could not remove it. She was still the only person that could touch it without getting a shock.

Both of them were getting a little frustrated over the constant failure. Turning his back on the pile of rocks he stomped over to the sofa and flopped down. Every time that he got upset he could feel the slight touches of Gabrielle and Ginny’s magic as they both tried to soothe him. He enjoyed this “private” touching so much that the thought of failure wasn’t so bad. As was his custom whenever he felt them he looked up and checked the pair. They weren’t sitting together this afternoon; Ginny was sitting at one of the tables her head buried in her homework at Gabrielle was sitting on the floor by the fire with her rabbit out.

He had suspended the afternoon lessons with Ginny and Gabrielle so that he could concentrate on these wards but looking at the two of them he realised he missed the quiet time alone. But his heart always pounded faster at the thought that if he did not accomplish the wards in a few days then it might be too late and all that he wanted to protect would be open to Voldemort. He breathed deeply once more as if to focus but still found his frustration was present. Thrusting his hand into his pocket he pulled out the letter he had received from Susan that morning, it was always good for a distraction from the work.

He quickly remembered that first morning after sending Hedwig with his letter. He hadn’t expect that she would return so soon. When he woke up a put on is glassed he saw the envelope was sitting on his desk and Hedwig was perched on the back of a chair. Before he could say anything the bird took flight and left Harry in peace his door magically opening and closing on its own . How it got there he still did not know but every time that Susan replied it would be there on his table. That first letter was short, all it told him was of the happiness that Hedwig had brought her when she had arrived and how she marvelled at how the owl had managed to get past the house wards. From then onwards the two had become correspondents. Harry had been careful in what and how he wrote each of his letters. He did not want to give over any other impression than he was just a friend helping out another friend but it was never easy.

Susan’s letters on the other hand were much more flowing. It seemed to Harry that she wrote almost every day. There were ramblings of what had happened as well as comments about her feelings. Hedwig was making regular trips to the Bones’es about every three days. After the first week he had noticed that her letters were getting longer and Susan started to talk more about her and her life. It was almost like she was sitting next to him and she was just talking away about everything she could afraid of losing this sole contact.

Harry shared some of what Susan wrote to Ginny but kept most to himself but was surprised that Ginny kept asking him at quiet moments if he had written lately. It was though she was looking out for Susan making sure that Harry was still writing. Harry looked down at the letter and re-read it. It was long and pasted the time easily, he also found his mind calming as he did so, eventually when he had finished he got up again and joined Hermione.

“Still not got it?” he asked approaching.

“No.” replied Hermione very quickly.

Harry opened his mouth to say more but Hermione just kept on.

“It’s not difficult but something is not right. I’ve re-read that book a hundred times but it doesn’t mention anything about this. I’m certain that the wand movements are correct and the angle of magical instance is perfect yet nothing. I’ve even tried some of the more advanced ones and keep getting the same results.”

“Could it be the house?”

“No Harry I’ve already check that. Remember I told you two days ago. No I must be doing this wrong!”

Harry glanced round to see where Ron was and as normal he was quickly approaching. Sometime during the lessons this always happened. It was coming quicker and quicker these days as the frustration at not being able to do the spell was eating away at Hermione. Ron always came when he heard her voice and he would take her away to calm her down. Harry had been amazed at when he first saw this. Previously the two would shout and shout until one would storm off but now they sat and talked, one of them would kiss the other and then just silence.

Harry looked at the rocks and tried again knowing that he was going to fail.

***

That evening whilst they were eating Harry felt a small hand on his leg. Normally during the day Ginny would touch him and even during meals she would sometimes squeeze his hand or leg in reassurance but this was different. The gentle caresses send a shiver across his body as he knew that it did not come from Ginny. He turned his head to look at Gabrielle and saw that she was looking directly at him. Harry’s eyes drank in the beauty of Gabrielle’s face as she opened her mouth to speak. He marvelled at how soft her lips looked and for a second just wanted to touch them.

“Harry?” She whispered.

“Yes?” He whispered trying to bring his attention to her and away from just her lips.

“I think I can help.”

“What do you mean?”

“With the wards.”

“You can create wards?”

“No but I think I can help you.”

“Why didn’t you say anything sooner?”

Gabrielle’s face dropped and she looked at her plate.

“I didn’t think you wanted my help.”

“Why’s that?”

“You cancelled my lessons.”

“Gabrielle of course I want your help. I just stopped the lessons to give me more time. If I knew it would upset you I would never had done so. It’s just fallen to me and me alone to protect this house and everybody in it, which includes you. I don’t want something to happen, I’d feel terrible if anything happened because I failed to protect you.”

“Ok can we work on something after dinner then?”

“Sure.”

“We might need Ginny as well.”

“OK.”

Harry looked over at the other girl and saw that she was shamelessly listening in.

“Wonderful, some alone time for the three of us.” Ginny breathed batting her eyelids at Harry as he looked at her. Harry felt his stomach drop at those words, why did everything that Ginny say like that sound so sexy?

The rest of the meal passed without much incident except for the normal bickering over who would clean up. Sometimes Harry wondered what that was about because it was always Dobby who did it but both Ron and Ginny would argue that it was the other persons turn. Rising from his seat he didn’t know if he should say anything to Hermione about this extra training but when Ginny slipped her hand into his and pulled him away from the kitchen he just left without saying a word.

Ginny led Harry and Gabrielle to the Ballroom, pushing open the doors and quietly slipped in. Harry found that the sunlight playing through the windows illuminated the room like nothing he had seen before. The deep reds of the evening sky flooded the floor and walls and that warming colour seemed to flood into Harry. The small click of the lock engaging caused Harry to spin round. Gabrielle had locked the door and was looking a little frightened.

“I’m sorry but I don’t want to be disturbed...I would...it might...”

Harry could almost feel Gabrielle’s concern and was a little suspicious at what was happening.

“Harry could you sit in the middle of the room please.” She said before Harry could inquire about anything.

Harry nodded and walked into the centre of the large dance floor. He dropped to the ground and tried to make himself comfortable.

“Concentrate as normal, let your magic flow.” Instructed Gabrielle still from the door.

Harry closed his eyes and did like he had been doing for the past weeks. It was easy to slip into it and was now wondering where this was going to lead. Gabrielle slipped her hand into Ginny’s she didn’t know if the older girl could feel her feelings but she was certain that Harry could. The fear was returning and she just hopped that she could get through this without the whole truth coming out to Ginny. Harry had said that her wings didn’t matter but he was different, he was special.

Ginny allowed herself to be led to a spot in front of Harry, instinctively she looked down at his face. The lines or worry had disappeared and he was at peace, she rarely saw him like this but every time that she did she just wished she could make it last forever because he looked so peaceful.

“You have your wand?” whispered Gabrielle.

“Of course.”

“Good you are going to need it.”

“Why? What am I going to do?”

“Help Harry.” Was the simple reply.

Ginny felt Gabrielle’s hand slip out of her own as she glided away and stood behind Harry.

“Ok open your eyes and look Harry.”

Harry slowly opened his eyes. He was not surprised at what he was seeing he hadn’t tried this in any of their previous lessons but knew what he would see. Allowing his magic to flow he looked through his eyes. They rested on the form of Ginny she wasn’t completely in focus but with a little concentration he sharpened the image.

The first thing he saw was the ribbon. It flowed straight and true, it did not wave like it had done before it was taut almost stretched. He felt his magic leap towards it like it wanted to flow down it but he concentrated more. He saw his other three ribbons, the second curving sharply around him, he knew that it was going directly to the girl behind him. It was as taut at Ginny’s and once more he felt the pull of his magic, the other two flowed past Ginny, they seemed to wave in the breeze yet still pointed straight and true. One went to Susan, he had followed that one before but the last one was a mystery.

His magic flowed to those two ribbons and before he could do anything it connected with Susan’s. Sensations hit him fast, he could feel loneliness, but with a trace of hope or something. He tried to concentrate more but found it just slipped away. His magic leapt to the last one but nothing happened or seemed to, no emotions flowed he just felt something odd? The ribbons themselves still had to be explained. He found himself more and more curious about it, the sole reason he hadn’t asked about it was he figured a long explanation, and didn’t think he would find time to have it, and have it privately like he wanted.

“Please concentrate Harry.” Said Gabrielle, she had been following Harry’s magic and felt it slip towards the ribbons. She wasn’t sure what would happen if he let it flow down them and tonight she wanted to do something else.

“Look at Ginny and what do you see?”

Harry focused back on the girl, he could see her features now but they were illuminated by a glow of light or magic he was now thinking was lighting her up. It seemed to flow around and over Ginny and he could imagine the effect it was having on her. To him her face and whole body seemed to glow with beauty, the white light surrounding her wasn’t painful it was just so soothing to his eyes.

“I can see Ginny, she...she....” but Harry suddenly felt very embarrassed to say what was on his mind.”

“What?” questioned Ginny.

“You look so beautiful, you hair is moving in the wind. The light brightens your face you look like a goddess.

Ginny felt the blush wash over her at Harry words. Getting compliments was good but never had she received them like that yet her mind questioned what Harry was seeing, there was no breeze in the room and her hair was hanging limp.

“Good Harry no look at her centre, her core.”

Harry dropped his eyes to Ginny stomach and saw light emanating from it. It was the source of the brilliant white light it was pure and wholesome, but as he looked he saw it was flawed. His magic seemed to adjust to his command and focused in on the light. Absently he saw that this was the destination of his ribbon but he concentrated on the light. He saw that there were cracks over it, not many and most small but there were cracks. His eyes were drawn to the largest and now as he looked harder he saw it clearer. It was like a dark scar yet wasn’t just black there were all sort of colours swirling around within it.

“I see cracks....” whispered Harry. He could feel his magic start to reach out as though it wanted to probe and to explore.

“Cracks?” questions Gabrielle quickly, this was not expected and it worried her.

“If I just...”

“No Harry you mustn’t...not yet.” Said Gabrielle in a forceful voice. This was one of the reason she wanted to wait before doing this. Here she had no help around, she thought that if she had done this at school at least there would be other people, other teachers who would help if it went wrong.

“But it looks painful...”

“No!” insisted Gabrielle.

Ginny didn't understand what was being said but was starting to feel a little worried. What they were talking about was totally alien, yet her body was reacting. It was almost recoiling as if in protection from something.

Harry withdrew his magic back to himself at the second warning. He had wanted to help but Gabrielle voice had a touch of panic within it and so he responded.

“Ok...ok I’m back I can see Ginny and the glowing core.”

“Ok keep looking. Ginny please could you pull your wand out.”

Harry watched as Ginny drew her wand and held it loosely at her side. Almost at once he noticed that the light shifted, it moved towards the wand. He knew he was looking at her magic but seeing it was something completely different.

“It’s changing.” He breathed in wonder.

“What?” questioned Gabrielle, she knew what he should be seeing but actually hearing about it was a wonder to her.

“Her magic, it’s focusing to one side.”

“Amazing” said Gabrielle.

“Ginny can you swap you wand to the other hand.”

Ginny blinked at Harry at the command. Most people could only use one hand or the other. She was no different, yet the tone of wonderment that was coming out of both Harry and Gabrielle made her comply.

Harry saw the change and the light falter slightly. It shifted to the other side but did not seem as bright or as far away from centre this time.

“And back again.” Asked Harry.

Ginny did so and was now feeling slightly annoyed was she just being used as a dummy. She had thought that they were going to help Harry but this was just boring to her.

“Now Ginny can you cast a spell a basic one please.” Said Gabrielle.

Not knowing what spell to cast she thought of one of the most basic and easy to do. With a quick flick and the words “Lumos” her wand glowed with a light.

Harry watched the wand movement, it had been too quick to see exactly but the sudden rush of magic to the tip was unmistakeable.

“I could see the magic go to the wand. It still is flowing like a small trickle of water.”

Ginny ended her spell and could not keep quiet any longer.

“What are you doing?”

“Harry is seeing magic.”

“But you can’t its imposable.”

“But I can Ginny honestly I saw it flow out of you into the wand.”

“How is that possible?”

Gabrielle breathed deeply once before replying.

“People say that Love is blind. But in fact it’s the opposite, Love is all seeing. Harry can see everything that we think is invisible it’s something that only he can do.”

Ginny looked closely at the two something about the way Gabrielle was speaking said they she wasn’t telling the whole truth. Gabrielle was standing directly behind Harry which wasn’t unusual but she did notice the careful movements of Gabrielle which kept her there.

“How will that help him with the wards?”

“If you wouldn’t mind Ginny could you cast a charm please?”

Looking closely for a moment at Gabrielle she turned slightly and looked around. Seeing one of the chairs she knew exactly what she was going to do. With and elaborate swish and flick saying “Wingardium Leviosa.” One of the chairs slowly raised itself up of the ground.

Harry felt his concentration slip as he saw what was happening. As the wand moved in the air Ginny magic had flowed from the end, it was almost like it was writing in the air, before it was finished a beam of magic flew from the wand to the chair. His head tracked its path and saw it cover the chair, it seemed to move around it until it focused near the top.

His mind processed what he was seeing, as the small pieces of information clicked into place his concentration was lost. He had just seen magic being performed, not just the results of magic but it actually it happening. He closed his eyes and laid back as the enormity of everything washed over him.

“You alright?” asked a concerned voice.

Harry did not answer as his mind ran through everything that he had been taught at school. All the theory every single little piece of it was wrong.

“Harry?” Asked a second voice.

He opened his eyes and could feel the tears forming at the side of his eyes.

“It all wrong...” he said as the emotions rushed over him. “...everything they had said is....”

Gabrielle could feel Harry’s emotions slip through his protective barrier; quickly she helped reinforce it before replying.

“No Harry not wrong just different.”

He focused on Gabrielle’s face and looked into her eyes. The lingering effects were still affecting him as he could see her face lit up and the glow that surrounded her. He wanted to look more, her face held hope, love, concern everything that he wanted but she wasn’t his. He was with Ginny; he flicked his eyes to her and saw the same. The smile that crossed his face calmed him and he just looked into Ginny’s eyes and believed that the world would be alright. He sat up and gave Ginny a kiss, not a small one this one lasted. He wanted to feel something physical and her lips were perfect. With his heart still racing he parted from her and breathed deeply.

“Ginny do you mind I want too...”

“Anything Harry.” Replied Ginny giving him a quick peck. He had scared her but now it seemed it was past. She got to her feet and walked back to her place, she waited for Harry to tell her what to do when he did she performed the spell again...and again...and again.

For the next hour Harry watched Ginny perform the same spell. He didn’t say much and neither did the two girls he just studied what was happening. He saw that the bright core did not look so bright and powerful as she cast spell after spell but he had to see, this was the power he knew not.

Each time he looked as the spell was being cast he saw virtually the same thing. After many repetitions he did start to notice that the magic did not always form in the same place on the chair it moved about to different spots. Slowly understanding he knew that he had to try for himself.

“Why don’t you take a rest Ginny?”

“No Harry I’m fine.”

Harry let the smile show as he heard Ginny’s lie, he had seen each time that she had cast her spell her core would get slightly darker. The power of the light was not the same as he had first seen.

“No I can see your magic, you need to rest and I need to try.”

Ginny had lied but wanted to help. Inside her body felt drained, more so than she had experienced in a long time. She didn’t remember how many times she had cast that same spell and a rest was needed. Giving Harry one of her best smiles she sank to the floor and stretched out. The fatigue washed over her for a moment but the inactivity was helping.

Harry stood up slowly and looked at one of the chairs. He wanted to try the spell but felt his concentration once more slipping. He had found that slipping in and out of this ability had been easy until now that he wanted to two or more things. He slowly raised his wand to see if he could see anything but the instant he looked he lost his concentration. Taking a steadying breath he tried again and again. But every time he lost his concentration.

“It’s hard.” He said out loud.

“You just need practice.” Said Gabrielle seeing the distress on Harry every time he lost his concentration.

Harry looked back at the chair and tried again, this time he saw a little glow at the end of his wand but that was all before he lost it. Focusing everything out he continued to practice.

Gabrielle glided over to Ginny and gracefully lowered herself next to her. She was pleased to be here with someone else as she didn’t fully know where this might take Harry.

“What is he trying to do?” whispered Ginny

“The same as you.”

“But he can cast that spell.”

“It’s not the spell its seeing it.”

“You really think he can see magic.”

“Oh yes.” Replied Gabrielle looking and Ginny with a huge smile on her face.

“Wouldn’t it be fantastic.” Mused Ginny.

Gabrielle kept silent at the comment not wanting to say anything just yet. A light knock on door caused her to spin round and look. The door was still locked and a moment of panic rose within her.

Ginny looked at her friend and got to her feet she offered a hand to Gabrielle which was accepted. The two of them walked across to the door noticing that Harry was seemingly oblivious to everything. Quietly unlocking opening the door Ginny saw the faces of both Ron and Hermione. She glanced over her shoulder at Gabrielle who shook her head slightly.

“No let them in it’s alright.” Called harry from the centre of the room.

With a look of pure triumph Hermione led Ron in the room and stopped almost instantly. She saw Harry just standing in the centre of the dance floor alternately raising and lowering his wand. Watching for a moment her mind tried to understand but failed. Looking sharply at Gabrielle she asked.

“What’s he doing?”

“Practicing.” Said the girl in a small but confident voice.

“But what?”

“Doing magic, now just shut up and watch.” Hissed Ginny almost feeling Harry’s irritation at the noise.

Hermione huffed slightly but followed further into the room to watch. She had expected Harry’s lessons to be more...active than this. The four of them continued to watch for half an hour before Harry abruptly turned round. Everyone saw him look directly at Gabrielle.

“Why can’t I?”

“You have to concentrate.” Replied Gabrielle not knowing the answer. She was now teaching Harry only what she had researched she had no firsthand knowledge of any of this nor would she.

“What have you got to concentrate on?” asked Hermione.

Harry wanted to ignore her but did not. “My magic Hermione I need to concentrate to use it.”

“What are you trying to perform?”

“Levitation charm.”

“But you can do that!”

Harry just shook his head and turned back, he had hoped that by allowing Hermione in it might forestall some of the questions but he was now saw that he was wrong. Gabrielle slipped her hand into Ginny’s and pulled her slightly back.

“What?”

“Close your eyes and concentrate like before.”

“Before?”

“Yes when we helped him.”

“Will it help?”

“It might.”

Gabrielle closed her eyes and felt her magic swell, almost at once she felt Ginny next to her. Their magic seemed to find each other quickly it joined and combined but Gabrielle directed it. An idea had sprung up that between the two of them they might be able to help Harry concentrate on what he was doing. Carefully she found their ribbons and let their magic flow down it.

Harry raised and lowered his wand and the most he saw was a tiny glow, he was getting more and more frustrated. As he started to raise it once more he felt the presence on his mind. Instantly he was weary but the feeling emanating told him it was Ginny and Gabrielle. His arm faltered for a moment as he basked in the feelings that the magic produced in his head. As his mind drifted with these feelings he felt his arm raise and looked, almost through cloudy eyes he saw the wand. Yet this time not just the tip but the whole wand glowed.

With the customary swish and flick his eyes saw the magic leap from the end towards the chair. Almost identical to Ginny it danced around the chair eventually stopping near the top before the chair slowly raised itself. He could see pulses of magic flowing from him towards the char as though it need it to keep floating. As a smile of success spread across his face his concentration was broken and very soon afterwards the chair fell to the floor.

“I can do it.” He shouted spinning round to look at everybody in the room.

“What mate that was....”

But Harry did not hear Ron he just turned back and tried again, the same happened but he managed to keep the chair up for almost ten seconds.

“That’s...um...great Harry but how will that help with the wards.”

“I can see where we are going wrong.”

Gabrielle felt her legs weaken, she had been helping Harry all evening with his concentration and this final task had drained her. Connecting to Ginny had helped but now her body wanted rest. Ginny felt it first and then saw Gabrielle sway a little, reaching out she grabbed her into a hug. Almost as soon as she did she felt the girls strength leave her, she was about to turn to say something when a voice spoke.

“You OK?” said Harry.

Gabrielle’s face looked up and Harry could see how tired she looked, the girls eyes were large and fixed on him. His heart raced even more now understanding that it was the little girl that had been helping him. He had told Ginny to stop because he had seen her magic weaken. How much had Gabrielle used? He had been so selfish he hadn’t considered the girl. He closed his eyes preparing his mind to look at Gabrielle but felt a hand on his arm.

“No Harry, don’t...Ginny will....I’m sorry I’m not stronger for you.” Said Gabrielle seeing what he was doing and knowing that being so close and physically connected to Ginny that she would see the same as Harry. Ginny would see her wings.

He knew what she meant and so opened his eyes before he had connected to his magic. He thought she was wrong but could understand her fear and so replied.

“Ok... angel... you rest but she’s no different than me!”

Gabrielle turned and looking into Ginny face, smiling slightly.

“I know.”

***

The next morning breakfast was the same as it had always been. The previous night’s exhaustion seemed to have been driven away from both Ginny and Gabrielle. The two of them sat and talked as normal. Harry made certain that Gabrielle was alright and was surprised to see that she looked as fantastic as normal.

“You seem better.” he softly asked.

Gabrielle knew that she was blushing but answered anyway.

“I am thank you; the rest was what I needed.”

The answer did not explain the blush but she wasn’t about to tell Harry, well not yet, what had happened. She had indeed rested almost as soon as she had gotten into the bedroom she had fallen asleep but it hadn’t lasted for long. Her body had soon awakened her at the response to her magic. It was demanding payment for it use. She had looked wistfully across to the sleeping form of Ginny.

Just to crawl into bed with her would have been payment enough but she dared not go across. Her body had wanted to be with Harry he would have been perfect but that was still far out of the question but it did bring up something. Harry had called her “Angel” it was a term that her mama had used but coming from Harry had sounded so different, it was though she was acceptable to him. She basked in the thoughts of Harry for a moment longer before her magic started its demands again.

The last time she had used this much magic she had slept with Ginny. That simple gesture held all of the love that she need but now looking across she could not do that again. She slipped her hand down inside of her pyjamas knowing that this was the only release that she would get tonight. It wasn’t long before the building force within her was let loose and with a muffled cry she let it come forth. Even though she still found it pleasurable it was now not the release she really wanted, being loved was something completely different, something far better.

Harry finished his breakfast without saying anything else. He felt Gabrielle’s presence in his mind and allowed her a little more freedom this morning understanding that this magical contact seemed to help the girl. Almost as soon as they were all finished Hermione dragged them all back into the front room to continue to study on wards. She had looked expectantly at Harry hoping that after last night he would miraclasley be able to perform the wards but when he shook his head after the first failure she turned back to her own rock annoyed not only at Harry but at herself in getting such hope up.

Harry tried to concentrate on his magic but found that without the girls help he could not all he got was brief flashes. Slowing his racing mind he sat on one of the sofas a let his magic flow. Slowly opening his eyes he looked round. The glows of both Gabrielle and Ginny were white and strong he could even see the brief outline of Gabrielle’s wings, cautiously he looked at his two best friends. There outlines were no wheres near as sharp as the girls but he could see their bright white glows. As he studied Hermione he saw brief flashes of magic every time she cast a spell at the rock but that was all. With Ginny he had seen the whole thing but Hermione was different. Was this due to their connection he wondered?

He traced his eyes across to the one rock that had worked. Focusing hard upon it he saw that it was covered with a dome. It did not look as solid as some he had seen but marking could be seen upon it. As he looked harder and harder he saw a thin wisp of magic stretching from it, he tried to follow it but found that it disappeared after only a few centimetres. He continued to look but could not see any reason why that one rock was warded and no of the other rocks were.

He closed his eyes trying to think of what he should do next. A small shift in the sofa told him that someone had joined him.

“I’ll help you again.” Whispered Gabrielle.

“But after yesterday....”

“It’s alright I feel fine.”

“You sure?”

“Yes please just try again?”

“What with my magic?”

“No look at Hermione.”

Harry then understood that just looking at Hermione would not be too draining it was when he had tried to look at himself that Gabrielle had been drained. Steadying his mind he felt the barest presence of Gabrielle and so gradually he opened his eyes and looked. He took it carefully until he was looking directly at Hermione, she did not seemed to notice his attention but continued casting the spells.

The picture was more coherent this time but still he could not see it all it still came in flashes but much longer flashes. The complex wand movements were creating weird and new patterns in the air followed by a sharp release of magic. Harry tried to track the magic but found that it was too difficult. For the next attempt he just watched the rock. When the next magical burst hit the rock he saw that it danced over the rock briefly before it flew off again into the room.

He waited for the next attempt but nothing came.

“This is useless!” ranted Hermione once more as she looked at her rock. Harry heard Ron getting to his feet but he did not want to lose the moment.

“Try again Hermione.”

“Why? We are obviously doing something wrong. We need to read some more.”

“No please just try.”

Hermione turned and faced the rock as Ron came up next to her.

“Go one, give it a go again.”

With another flurry of moment she cast the spell and Harry watched the same results as the magic flew off.

“See Harry...”

“Once more.” He asked in deep concentration.

Hermione did so and again Harry saw the magic fly off.

“Try again but lesson the upward stroke.”

“But the book says....”

“Just try please.”

Hermione shook her head at Harry but tried once more.

Harry saw the difference his suggestion had made, the magic danced this time more evenly around the rock he thought he saw the beginnings of a dome before it collapsed and disappeared.

“You almost had it then.”

“What do you mean?” asked Hermione now gazing directly at Harry and seeing that he was just glued to the rock.

“It’s the movements try softening it.”

“Softening it?”

“Yes not so sharp.”

Hermione shook her head but tried, yet Harry saw no difference.

“No you are still sharp.”

Ron leaned over Hermione’s shoulder and whispered.

“Slow down a little and just swish no flicking.” He whispered giving Hermione a small peck.

Hermione’s cheeks instantly turned red but she was shielded from the rest by Ron and so tried once more and this time it worked. Harry saw the magic dance around the rock and eventually formed the dome. It looked a little weak but it stayed there.

“See you can do it.” Said Ron giving Hermione another kiss.

Hermione spun round and looked at Harry, he had leaned back in the sofa but had his eyes closed. She saw that Gabrielle was sitting next to him but at that instant she got up and walked over to the table that Ginny was at.

“How did you do that?”

“I just looked that’s all.” Replied Harry chuckling to himself.

For the rest of the morning they continued to practice. Harry would not be drawn anymore on how he had known he just practice like Hermione. By lunch time both him and Hermione were confident at casting basic wards and even Ron had managed to few. So a tired but happy group trudged to the kitchen after a morning well done.

**

For the afternoon the group had continued to practice to the stage where by the evening Harry thought that he was ready. Hermione had tried to insist that she should be the one to perform the spell work as her charms were far better but Harry had refused. He had told her that it was his responsibility and so he was going to do it reluctantly she had agreed. Just after the evening meal Harry had started on the first wards, he tried simple once at first and built into more complex ones.

He walked round the house slowly trying out various different ones and soon he was satisfied all that was left in most people’s eyes were the major ones on the outside. Harry had spent the afternoon practicing these ones and was finding some success so as the gloom descended in the road he ventured out, alone.

He had to argue this point as well as he was going to perform magic outside the house he didn't want anybody else there to get the blame. He looked at the outside a saw very little difference to how it normally looked. Closing his eyes for a second he concentrated on his magic and looked again. This time he now understood what he saw, the dome that covered the house had numerous runes and marking etched upon it.

As he looked closer he saw that some were fading to the point it was getting difficult to read them, these he assumed were the ones Dumbledore had talked about the ones that were failing. He assumed, correctly so, the strong markings were the wards that Dumbledore himself had placed. Looking closely at these they looked more complicated that any of the others. He realised that sometime this year he was going to have to perform those ones himself.

Taking a final breath he started the long and complex spellwork. It had taken longer than he realised and he was feeling exhausted by the time he was finished but the thought that they were done. Closing his eyes once more he looked at the dome and was pleased to see that it looked stronger than before and many of the only runes were now replaced by new ones. Nodding to himself he walked into his house happy that for at least a little while it was now safe.

“All done?” asked Hermione as soon as the door closed.

“Yeah I think so.”

“I just wish we could check.” She mused.

Ginny looked at the pair before opening her mouth, she was surprised that Hermione hadn’t thought of that one.

“We can, or more correctly Bill can. He wants to visit before we return to school he could check them.”

Harry looked at Ginny and realised she had solved the one lingering thought that he had about the wards. He thought that they seemed fine but he really wanted someone who knew to look at them.

“Great idea Ginny, but we don’t have that long before we have got to go back.”

“I know...” Replied Ginny a little upset. The summer had been one of pure bliss and it was nearly over. She wasn’t silly enough to believe that everything would stay the same. Harry would retreat back into himself as soon as he returned to school and the isolation that they both enjoyed would be lost. Holding back some of her emotions she turned towards one of the doors. “.... I’ll just go and tell mum. She can Floo Bill and maybe he can come over tomorrow.”

Harry watched as Ginny walked away, the thought of returning to school was not holding the happiness that it normally did. It would be great to see everyone again but he would miss being with Ginny. He was sure that as soon as they got on the train it would stop all of those close moments with Ginny and what about Gabrielle? Somehow he would make sure that she was ok.

**

Hours later Harry trudged up to his floor alone. The rest of the evening he had spent with Ginny they had managed to contact Bill who was overjoyed at coming round tomorrow. But tomorrow was their last day before school. He heard the noises of the others going to bed one floor up and paused in the corridor. This floor was his, previously it had been warded but what about now?

Closing his eyes he looked for the wards, as he searched he saw faint traces of them but that was all. ‘Should he replace them?’ Ran through his head. Never had he owned so much but should he protect this floor differently. He felt his hand pull his wand out by its own accord and glanced down at it. Calming his mind he raised his hand but paused. He had shared everything with his friends but this floor, to ward it would virtually seal it, it would be his alone. Relaxing his mind he let his magic drift, it touched each ribbon lightly. He did not direct his magic it just flowed on its own.

He was gaining impressions and senses every time he touched a ribbon opening his mind he just let the magic flow. Somewhere inside of his mind he knew that it was his magic directing him not conscious thought but let it go anyway. Wave after wave his wand flowed until it was finished. Slowly opening his eyes he saw the results, the wards were placed everywhere, they looked strong vibrant and alive. He stepped though the wards and felt the immediate effect that he was safe.

That one small thought kept running through his head, he wanted to make sure that everything dear to him was safe.

**
Sign up to rate and review this story