Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Love Has No Age

Extraordinary Magic.

by Easysurfing

It's the last day before the train ride. Bill and Fleur vist all at Grimmauld Place.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Angst,Erotica,Romance - Characters: Bill Weasley,Fleur,Ginny,Harry,Hermione,Ron - Published: 2008-03-13 - Updated: 2008-03-13 - 8710 words

?Blocked
Chapter 33:- Extraordinary Magic.A/N: Thanks Malehorntaildragon



Susan closed the lid of her trunk and stepped back. She had packed and repacked everything that she was going to take over the past number of days but still she could not get everything that she wanted to take packed. The pile next to the trunk was getting smaller but only because she kept discarding items that she wasn’t taking. Sitting on the bed she looked at the pile, it was everything she was leaving behind possibly forever.

She didn’t want to believe it was true but she was packing for the last time, she wasn’t coming back…ever. She would turn seventeen this year and when that came she could do what she liked. Her parents had been a little better over the past week yet they still would not let her have any freedom and that was something she couldn’t live with. Every day she felt so trapped it was getting claustrophobic but very soon it would be over. Tomorrow she was leaving for school and there she would have the freedom to do what she wanted the most, to help Harry.

At the thought of his name she closed her eyes and remembered that first night when the small tapping at the window had awoken her. It had caused panic to run through her as she thought that some terrible disaster was going to happen again. But when she looked out the window to see the white owl looking back, she had instantly flung open the window and allowed the bird to hop in. With feverish hands she had almost ripped the letter from the bird’s leg but she did not rush in reading it. As she read every line her heart had soared. From that night onwards the holidays had become bearable. She thought that if Harry hadn’t written she would have run away, but the regular letters had kept her here. Each one of those letters was more precious than anything she owned and was the first things that she packed.

Her mind slowly turned towards school, this year was going to be very trying for her. She knew that at the beginning everybody was going to want to know about her aunt. That night still haunted her and retelling it was not going to be pleasant. After that she didn’t know but she was going to try her hardest and not for her parents but for herself for once. The new lessons looked to be interesting and even though she wanted to rebel against the choice that she had been forced to she knew that they would suit her.

Picking up one of her text books she flipped through the pages. History of the Ministry, Law and Politics it was all here but she knew it all already. With passing grades in that subject she would be ready for her career in the Ministry but was that what she wanted? Closing the book carefully she crossed to the window to look at the view for what she thought was going to be for the last time.

/‘Maybe I’ll see him on the train tomorrow?’ /she thought as the afternoon slipped by watched only by her.

**

Luna looked up as the clock struck four; it was soon time for her to start her packing. She never liked to pack early in case she changed her mind about something but she would have to start soon. As she got up she stretched tall and felt her breasts freely expand, hiding them away was going to be a chore but one she had gotten used to. As the chimes faded away she started to move towards her room. Soon her farther would be back, unless something important came up, and so they would have their last meal together. It was always a special meal for them; they both eat and talked like it was their last. It was their insurance in case of the unthinkable.

The summer for her had been full of all things interesting the three weeks she had spent searching for the three horned sponge had been the best. Every day the pair of them had trekked across sandy beaches and swam coral reefs in the Mediterranean in search for the animal. She had been allowed to ware one of the smallest bikini’s she owned had had felt so free and easy. The looks that the boys and men had given her had caused tingles to run through her body yet she never partook. That one talk from Harry kept coming back to her, somewhere deep down she wanted to responded to him.

She walked to her room still thinking about that party and talk. It was one of the first that she had ever been invited too. It had made her feel that she really did have friends, for most of the evening she had sat on her own but every so often Harry or Ginny or one of the others had come up and spoken to her. She twirled as the images played through her mind soon she would be seeing all of those people again, all that was left of this summer holiday was her final meal.

**

Dumbledore left his office to walk the empty corridors for the last time. He tried not to feel the sadness within but it was too great for him not to notice it. He had spent all morning looking through documents, laws anything he could lay his hands on but this afternoon was going to be special to him. He had set it aside many years ago and now it had arrived. As he sipped his tea sitting in his chair he had felt the tear start in his eye. He had wiped it away but looked at the bird which was the cause of his distress.

“You were right, no man should know.”

Fawkes looked back at her master and could see the distress. This was the payment for the help she had given him. She had warned him not to ask for it but he had still done so and so now he had to face it with full knowledge.

“I was young then don’t you see. Perhaps I still am at heart.” He chuckled to try and lighten the mood.

The bird kept looking at Dumbledore, it was at points like this when she wanted to act the most but knew she could not. With a slow movement she bowed her head low.

“Thank you Fawkes...for everything.” Replied Dumbledore as he stood. His mind instantly brought forth a speech he had heard years ago, but for him it needed changing. ‘This isn’t the end. This isn’t even the end of the beginning. But it is the beginning of the end.’

Descending the stairs outside his office he let his hand stroke the stone gargoyles. For years they had protected this office, and for years more they would. With silence he walked onto the grand staircase. He stopped and looked the full length of it, he could remember the first day he had seen it as a pupil how he had marvelled at how it worked and at once had been intrigued to find out how.

“We’ll that’s one mystery that I will have to solve next time.” He said allowed as he stepped onto the first step and started the long climb. Every year as headmaster he had walked the corridors so that he could see all was ready for the coming year. But this year he knew as he walked he would see nothing at all, all he would do is remember.

Floor after floor he visited, not seeing a soul. The time he was doing this and the route he was taking almost made sure he would be alone, the staff also knew of his yearly routine. Purposely he avoided most of the areas that he knew the staff would be working in until he came to the set of large doors in front of him.

Smiling at the memory of the adventure he had caused Harry to have when he closed these very doors he slowly opened them and looked in. The Hospital never changed in Dumbledore’s eyes it just saddened him knowing that this place was needed. He walked the length of the room and his mind easily pictured all of the times he had walked in here. Every bed held a face for him, a student who had made a mistake. Nearly everyone had walked out of here but those few who never did were forever imprinted on his mind.

“Headmaster.” Said a slightly surprised Madam Pomfrey.

“Poppy it’s nice to see you once more.”

“I haven’t gone anywhere, headmaster.”

“I know but your presence here has always been a comfort.”

“Are you feeling alright?”

Dumbledore looked closely at the matron before replying.

“Never better it’s just my…age.”

“You’re not that old headmaster.”

“No but I’ve seen too much. Now tell me are you ready for this year.”

“As normal I have prepared but I suspect that they will find something different to challenge me once more.”

Dumbledore chuckled.

“That’s what you love.”

“Yes but don’t tell them that.”

“Um….Mr Potter…”

Poppy went slightly still at the mention of Harry’s name.

“Yes?”

“Look after him.”

“I always do, don’t I?”

“Yes but…..” Dumbledore paused. He wanted to say something but had to stop. For far too many years he had planed and manipulated but now at the end he should stop. “…do you know a Healer Arnold from St. Mungo’s?”

“I’ve heard of him didn’t he….” Replied Poppy but tailed of at the look of the headmaster.

“Trust him…Yes trust him Poppy… I think Harry does.” Said Dumbledore as he turned and walked out of the hospital wing.

Poppy looked at the back of Dumbledore as he almost shuffled out of her ward. She was used to his eccentricities but this was different. She felt herself shiver slightly as he walked away. She had many an argument with the man but today he was different.

Dumbledore continued his trek from floor to floor; every so often he would pause by a wall or a painting but he moved on each time. As he came to the entrance hall he listened to the noises of the castle, it always seemed to tell him what was happening. As he stood he could almost feel the wind on the walls, the elves scurrying around, the ghosts floating through the walls it was though he was the castle itself.

With heavy steps he walked to his last destination. He had already walked past the door without stopping but now he walked back. Gently tapping on the door he waited for the voice before entering.

Dumbledore wasn’t surprised to see Professor McGonagall sitting at her desk already working on some school problem. Her desk was littered with paper but it all looked to be well organised. Dumbledore saw that as soon as she had noticed him that she had sat back to observe him. The two of them had shared so much through the school and even outside it that she knew what he was doing.

“Finished your rounds Albus?”

“Yes you are last. The school feels ready, it’s so quiet waiting for the onslaught.”

“It will be different this year.”

Dumbledore smiled a little at the comment.

“Oh yes I know it will be, it’s never the same.”

McGonagall looked closely but didn’t say anything.

“Are you prepared for Harry?”

“It may not come to that. She may be sorted differently that would solve the problem.”

“No…I think that would just add to it.”

“What have we got to do?”

“Support him of course but…”

“Always the but.”

“Yes we have also got to look to the others, we can’t let our feeling rule us over this matter. The school must be safe no matter what.”

“You still think he’s dangerous?”

Dumbledore lowered his head and nodded.

“I still think your wrong but I will obey.”

“Just look after the students Minerva, they must be safe.”

McGonagall nodded her head and thought of the coming year.

**

Greenburg flipped through his private notebook one more time. He was still at work but the lure of what this book contained was more than any of the reports in front of him. Weeks had passed since the attack and he slowly felt a little more comfortable about it. He had turned up the day after the attack looking suitably ill but he always felt the people looked at him suspiciously. For the whole of that week he had been assigned the task of checking the bank’s wards. Hour after hour he had walked the corridors checking and rechecking it was one of the most boring things that he had to do.

Since then all that he had been given was these reports to sift through. He didn’t mind doing research if it led to some action but all he did was read and summarise for one of the goblins. Almost in frustration he nightly waited by the window hoping for something more from the mysterious stranger yet he never turned up. That was until last night when he had received a message.

A little piece inside of him had wanted to shout at having to do another task; he hadn’t received anything for the last task. He had been promised anything he wanted but no-one had asked him and nothing had come. But now the thought of actually doing something drove that out of his mind.

As he flipped through his book he read his preliminary notes. The Ministry was going to be a big challenge, not too difficult he thought, but this time he was going to ask for something before he started. The movement outside his office door caused him to close his book quickly. Everyday he had seen her at lunchtime calling on Bill it was unusual to see her at this time in the afternoon.

He felt his eyes roam over her body as he watched her knock on the closed door. His eyes marvelled at the curves and his fingers ached to run them over her. As she waited he saw her glance round and he caught a glimpse at her face. Grasping the arms of his chair he stated to rise. ‘Fuck asking for something I want her!’ his mind screamed, but before he had risen from the chair he watched Bill’s door open at the young man walk out.

Fleur stretched up slightly to give Bill a quick kiss. It felt good to be leaving work slightly early and even more so because tonight they would tell Bill’s family the news. She felt his hand slip into hers as he locked and warded his door.

“Nervous?” he asked.

“No excited.” Purred Fleur.

“Good.” Replied Bill giving her another kiss. He looked across the hall and saw the Greenburg’s door was open. That man had been quiet since the attack it was though the goblins were keeping their best close by but by the look on Greenburg’s face he was enjoying it as much as he was.

“Still keeping you at it?” he called out.

“Of course, you off early?”

“Yeah we’ve a party to go to.”

“Anybody I know?”

“No… see you.” Replied Bill as he walked with Fleur down the corridor.

“I don’t like him,” she said after a few steeps.

“What Greenburg? He’s a bit different but he’s brilliant.”

“Better than you?”

“Well I wouldn’t say that.”

“William you are so modest.” Fleur replied airily.

“That’s what you love about me.” Fleur just laughed at his reply as they continued to walk.

As soon as they both exited the bank Bill pulled Fleur to one side. She raised an eyebrow in suspicion but said nothing. Bill looked around quickly and pulled out a small scrap of paper.

“Read this.”

“What?”

“Just read it.”

Fleur did so but was puzzled all that it said was where Harry was staying.

Bill took the paper back and set fire to it in front of a questioning Fleur.

“I had to get it from Dumbledore. It wasn’t as hard as thought it would be. Shall we?” said Bill holding out his hand and in twirl and a rush they were gone.

**

Bill and Fleur’s arrival announced the start of the evening. For most of the day Mrs. Weasley ably assisted by Dobby had been cooking this and that for the evening. Every time anyone had entered the kitchen they had been chased out but the smells of cooking food permeated throughout the ground floor. All of the teenagers had spent the day either doing last minutes homework (Ron), playing with their pet (Gabrielle) or just goofing about.

In the afternoon Harry had slipped away to do his packing for school. Normally he would have to pack early tomorrow morning but for once he did not want the rush. As he sorted his trunk and started to pack away everything he was taking he had the feeling that this year was going to be very different to all of the others. His new magic and Gabrielle was going to make sure of that but within him he just knew something was changing.

When he finished he saw that the afternoon was almost gone. The only thing that was left on his mind was his choice of classes. Throughout the rest of summer he had, when he was able to, read everything that had been sent. It was the first time that he had actually read what had been sent to him. All of the courses sound different and difficult but which ones did he want to choose. He thought of Ron who despite what his mother had asked had indeed chosen the subjects that he thought were easy or were need to be and Auror. Harry had managed to avoid telling him or even Hermione the ones he had chosen, it wasn’t hard because he hadn’t made his mind up. Soon he would have to make his final choices but the words of Dumbledore kept rattling around in his head. He really should make and effort to learn more about the wizarding world now that he was a big part of it.

He left his room and descended the stairs feeling the wards as he went. It was the only place that he did feel them but as he left his floor he could feel it. He hadn’t spoken to anyone about it yet it was once more something he wanted just for himself. He looked in the front room when he got to the bottom of the stairs and was greeted by two huge smiles from Gabrielle and Ginny.

“Finished?” asked Ginny.

“I think so.” he replied walking over and sitting down next to her.

“Good Bill will be here soon and then we can eat, I’m starving.”

“You’re getting as bad as Ron.”

Ginny batted his arm before replying.

“That’s not fair.”

“No but its true.” Called Gabrielle walking over to them.

“What is it, pick on Ginny time.”

“Yes.” They replied in unison before Harry attacked Ginny tickling her ribs. Ginny’s laughter filled the room and Gabrielle had to smile. It did not take any magic to see the fun and love that the two were having. Before Ginny could retaliate in earnest they all heard a knock on the front door. Harry was momentarily taken aback at the noise. Sitting where they were he should not have been able to hear it but he had. He sat there for a moment then realised that it was his house and so his duty to answer it.

Rising to his feet he brushed down his clothes before walking to the door, as he entered the corridor he saw Dobby already there.

“I think it’s Mr. Weasley and Miss Delacour sir. Should I let them in?”

“Of course Dobby.”

The elf reached up and touched the knob and Harry heard the door click and swing open. Standing in the sunlight was indeed Bill and Fleur.

“Harry, thanks for inviting us over.” Said Bill entering the house.

“Yes thank you Harry.” Said Fleur after giving him a kiss on both cheeks.

“It’s good to see you again, Mrs Weasley‘s been starving us waiting for your arrival.”

“Well let’s not keep them all waiting.” Replied Bill following Harry into the front room.

As soon as they entered Harry saw Gabrielle jump up and rush to her sister. They briefly embraced before Fleur bent low and whispered something to Gabrielle.

“Bill it’s nice to see you again, you’ve certainly have been around this summer.” Said Ginny joining them

“That’s the joy of me working in London.”

It wasn’t long before they were all talking in general conversation and having a good laugh. Almost as soon as they were all seated Dobby had appeared with a drinks tray and served everybody, Mrs Weasley had even popped her head in to say “Hi” and told them all that they were just waiting for Arthur. Harry wanted to get Bill alone so he could talk about the wards. After they had finished drinks Harry heard a small noise from the kitchen but before he could investigate the door was opened and in strode Arthur closely followed by Molly.

“Nice to see you again Bill.”

“Thanks dad.” Replied Bill getting to his feet. Harry saw that Fleur got up as well and moved to his side.

“Well now we are all here I’ve something to say.” Harry saw the room go quiet at Bill‘s announcement.

“I would just like to announce that a few weeks ago I proposed to Fleur and she accepted. We’re going to get married.”

The silence only lasted a heart beat before everybody’s voice erupted.

“Congratulation my boy.”

“Oh my William...getting married.” Gushed Molly.

Gabrielle rushed to her sister and spoke in fast French to her. It was one of the first times he had heard her speak the language and it sounded odd coming from her. One by one all of the Weasley’s congratulated Bill and Fleur until there was only Harry left. Harry had watched Hermione follow Ron around to the pair and so doing what he thought was right he walked up to Bill and congratulated him.

“Thanks Harry.”

“Um...Bill...is it possible you could help me.” Ventured Harry seeing his opportunity.

“Of course what is it?”

“I need you to check the house for me.”

“Why what’s up?”

“Nothing it’s just that I’ve been putting up new wards and need someone to check them.”

“No problem Harry, is after dinner ok?”

Harry visibly relaxed at Bills agreement. “ After dinner is great.”

“Well I think it’s time for Dinner.” Called Molly still dabbing her eyes.

The whole group left the room and headed for the kitchen. Harry wasn’t surprised to find both Gabrielle and Ginny next to him as they walked. As he entered he could not believe the change in the room, it looked like that whole room had been cleaned from top to bottom, the large wooden table was laid out with dinner places it looked so homely to Harry. He paused not sure of where to sit but didn’t have a chance to decide as Ginny grabbed his hand and pulled him to a vacant seat. Not surprisingly Gabrielle took the other seat next to him, Harry saw the careful expression on Fleur’s face as he sat down but nothing was said.

As soon as the meal started conversation flowed around the table mainly focusing on Bill and Fleur. Harry just relaxed into the environment with the two girls on either side of him

**

Bellatrix lent against a tree panting slightly, the climb up the hill had been far longer than she had first suspected. She wrapped her cloak around her to try and get a little more warmth. She had been travelling now for almost two whole weeks but her destination was now in sight. She had hoped that travelling across Europe would have been easier but it seemed that the Death Eaters fame had stretched this far. The first night in France she had to take flight as a group of French Ministry officials stormed the house she was staying in. She wasn’t certain that they were after her but she was not taking any chances.

So on and on she had trekked getting food and lodging where she could but always being careful. Now as she was standing on this hill she felt a small amount of pride at having accomplished this task. It did not mean that her journey was over far from it but at least now she had reached this place. A clap of thunder split the night but she knew that it came from no dark cloud; it came from those dark canyons ahead.

She was standing on the edge of the Dragon Reserve following her master’s orders. Find the Dragon. It sounded simple but sanding on the hillside only brought home exactly how difficult it was going to be. Before she had left she had found out all she could about this place and everything she read made her realise the almost impossible task that had been given to her. If she was not a wanted criminal it would be easy, walk to the administration office find the cave listed in the records, speak to the keeper to verify it was there and it would be done. But no she was going to have to do it the hard way.

Closing her eyes she sank to the floor and allowed her mind to rest with her body. She shivered slightly in the night air but her mind told her one thing over and over again. ‘She was away. If she kept going no one would find her!’ but no matter how much she wanted to believe that she knew that He would find her He always did. As she planned her next move she drifted off into a restless sleep dreaming only of dragons and a master who would kill at nothing.

**

Draco closed the notebook for the last time and sat back. He closed his eyes and let his mind calm down. He had received no more visitations by his Aunt or any more orders from Voldemort is was though they were leaving him on his own to pass or fail this one test. He had managed to deliver the cabinet to Borgin‘s in this last week but had hoped that by now that man would have had some information about how to repair the other cabinet.

The other problem in his mind was slowly coming together. All of the information that Mr Smith had sent him he had read. It was some of the most complex documents he had ever seen and looking at it he didn’t fully understand it all but within it was the answers he wanted he just had to find them. He wondered what kind of power he’d earn if he was able to free then on his own?

He felt himself start to move as his mind turned to the thoughts of school. He hadn’t been able to do anything since his Aunt had left but the thoughts of all of those girls at school seemed to invigorate him. Soon he would be king of his own pile again, and those Slytherins would do anything for him especially once he showed them the mark. No one at school had ever been marked he would be first amongst them all.

Summoning Butt he got up and waited for the elf’s arrival.

“Yes Master.”

“Is everything ready for tomorrow?”

“Yes sir.” Instantly replied the elf.

“Those papers need to be added as well.”

“Of course, sir” replied Butt scampering to the pile of papers let on one of the desks.

“You had better not read any of them.” Warned Draco.

“Never sir. They are your papers.” The elf replied quickly.

“You had better remember that.”

Draco waited for the elf to depart before he left the study, careful he locked the door not wanting anybody in that room without him being there. He strode confidently into the main room and saw his mother sitting on one of the sofas reading. She had been silent every time he was in her presence.

“Mother.”

Narcissia looked up at her son, a small lump formed in her stomach as she thought about his future.

“Draco you will…”

“It’s all planed…”

“But you will die…”

“Quiet mother, I will not. I have it all planed out just keep the house running smoothly.”

“Of course son…”

“And don’t worry he’ll be back.”

Narcissa looked long into her son’s eyes until the water misted the image over. Draco had such confidence but all she could see was his failure. She called to him just before he exited the room.

“Draco?”

“Yes mother?”

“I Love you.”

“I know.” With-that he continued out of the room.

**

Harry rose from his chair after one of the largest meals he could remember here at Gimmauld Place. During the meal Mr. Weasley had even produced a bottle of wine from somewhere and everyone except Gabrielle had had at least a glass. Harry could feel his stomach move around and protest to the amount he had eaten but it had been the best meal, all of his favourites had been present as well as many other dishes, it had been perfect.

Everyone looked a little tired as they got up and started towards the front room. Ginny’s hand found his and he felt a tug on it. As he turned to look at her he felt his lips being assaulted by hers.

“Wasn’t that just great.” She said as she slowly broke apart.

“Yeah it was.” Replied Harry dazedly not knowing what he was agreeing to. Harry saw Bill looking closely at him and felt his cheeks redden; he also glimpsed Gabrielle and Fleur moving off on their own. Normally she would be close but obviously the sisters wanted to talk. Knowing that now was the time he let go of Ginny’s hand but before she could say anything he spoke up.

“I’ve asked Bill to check the wards, he said he would after dinner.”

“I’ll come.” Volunteered Ginny.

“Um...no...It’s alright you don't need too.” Replied Harry not wanting Ginny there in case her brother told him that they were all useless.

Ginny glanced at her brother and Harry before nodding and turning back to Harry, she roughly pulled him down and gave him a searing kiss.

As she passed bill on the way out she stopped poked Bill in the chest “Don’t keep him out too long William I’m not done with him yet.”

“So that’s what it’s like?” said Bill when the room was empty.

“I..um....”stammered Harry suddenly feeling a little venerable.

Bill laughed.

“It alright Harry I know Ginny well, and I could see you had nothing to do with it, I’m well aware that Ginny can be a bit, um spirited. So let’s look at these wards then.”

Harry let out a long breath before nodding his head and leading Bill off to the first set of wards that he’d cast.

**

Gabrielle led her sister into the ballroom. She was sure Harry would not mind and it was one of the few places that she knew they would not be disturbed. Fleur had said that they needed to talk and Gabrielle suspected it was not just going to be about the wedding.

“Oh what a lovely room.” Said Fleur as she entered.

“Isn’t it?”

“It reminds me of home.”

“It was the same for me.”

“Well shall we sit?” Asked Fleur indicating to one of the chairs.

In silence the two drifted across the floor to the chairs each with their own thoughts.

“So how have you been?” asked Fleur

“Fine.”

“Harry?”

“He’s...wonderful, you wouldn’t believe it if I told you. Everything that I thought could be possible is true he is just full of love it’s pouring off of him. When I stand near him it’s like I’ve been immersed in it.”

“You talk about Harry as thought he is yours. What about Ginny?”

“Ginny’s like Harry. She’s beautiful, I think she understands as well.”

“Understands?”

Gabrielle swallowed before replying, he nerves were starting to affect her.

“I said she is bonded but it’s more than that. She understands a little about me she is helping me.”

“Helping you with what?”

Gabrielle knew that she would be blushing now if her magic wasn’t helping her.

“Harry and me.”

Fleur had a questioning look on her face and waited for Gabrielle to explain.

“He’s only looks at me as a teacher but I want more I want to be his. The feelings he produces in me want me to stay with him and she’s helping.”

“But you’re so young.” Cautioned Fleur.

“Not inside, you know that. When you were my age didn't you feel it? Even a little part of you must have felt it.”

“Well....”

“See I’m the same yet for me it’s not just a little part, it’s me, all of me.”

“And she is helping you does she understand what it means?”

“Yes we are working together I...I just hope.”

“That he sees you for what you are.” Replied Fleur. She wasn’t the part Veela that her sister was but it did not mean she could sense her sister’s emotions when they were this close. Her magic was telling her the Gabrielle wanted, almost needed Harry. Yet her eyes had told her through the dinner that Harry had yet to see her like that.

“Does he know...about you.”

“A little. He...saw....” but she did not want to say it. No one in her family knew about the wings it was a secret she had kept.

“What?”

“My Veela side.”

Fleur did not press the point seeing the agitation it was causing.

“And?”

“He wasn’t afraid. He said it didn’t matter, it was wonderful he looked at me like papa does to mama. There was no shame, no guilt, no fear.”

Fleur’s mind instantly brought up the last year of Beaubatton. She had let slip she was a part Veela at the tri-wizard tournament and from then onwards the school had changed for her. The girls had looked at her very differently, it was one of the reasons she had come to England to work because in England her skills mattered more to the Goblins than her heritage. .

“The training.”

Gabrielle paused for a moment.

“Slowly it’s hard for me...I don’t know if I’m the best all I can do is tell him.” Sniffed Gabrielle releasing a little of her fear out.

“You know you’re the best, don’t get upset.”

“But if I fail....”

“You won’t. Listen to yourself talking about Harry. You won’t fail him, you never will.”

Gabrielle felt the tears start down her face and flung herself into her sister’s arms. She kept her emotions form leaking to Harry and was happy her sister was here. The comfort she brought to her allowed her to strengthen her defences; it would be bad if Harry found her now. Returning to her seat she re-composed herself and Fleur straightened out her dress.

“So Gabrielle, have you written to mama?”

“Um...no....”

“Why not?”

“I...um....”

“That’s what I wanted to talk to you about. I’ve been having almost daily owls from them, they are worried about you.”

“But they...”

“Nonsense you have to write to them they are dying to know how it’s going.”

“But I haven’t got...”

“The school has and I know Harry has a good owl. Ask him I’m sure he would let you borrow it.”

“I will.”

“Promise?”

“Promise.”

“They also sent you this.“ Fleur reached into her robe and handed Gabrielle a small photo of their family. “Remember where you come from we all still love you. Well then let’s go back to the others.”



**

Harry followed Bill round the house and watched him perform the same spell time and time again. Every time he watched he thought he saw a faint glimpse of the runes in the air before they disappeared.

“Not bad Harry I can see where you started.”

“Started?”

“Yes over there by the library. That was probably the first one you did.”

“How...”

“That’s why you asked me. Remember I’ve been looking at wards for years; those first ones were a bit clumsy see. Yes you performed the charm but that was about all nothing else.”

“Are they ok?”

“Yes but I wouldn’t rely on them, even a competent wizard would get through them fairly quickly.”

Harry felt his heart drop slightly thinking that he had failed.

“The ones by the front door are much better, stronger yes but better placed.”

“Placed?”

“Ah...the inexperience of youth. You’ve read the books?”

“Um...some?” lied Harry.

Bill looked closely at Harry and waited.

“Alright two.”

“When you get round to reading some more you’ll see that casting wards isn’t just random, it’s an art form. Placement, power, and bindings are the start but from there it gets more and more complex, which is how you can create truly powerful wards. For instance these by the door, their placement is off and the bindings are not right. Yes they work but they would work better or take less power if they were fixed here and here.” Said Bill indicating to spots of the frame. “But for a first attempt Harry I have to say they will do.”

“How long will they last?”

“Hard to say at the moment a few years at least, maybe more on these ones on the door.”

Harry smiled he had been freighted that Bill was going to say he had to redo them all.

“Can you check the outside ones as well please?”

“Certainly.” Replied Bill leading Harry outside. The night was dark now so Bill had no fear of being seen. He cast the same spell and looked at the results. As the runes faded away he did it once more.

“Ah there we go...” he said as another set of runes appeared closer to the house.

“What?”

“Oh the first lot is probably Dumbledore’s, they are good, very good. I think he’s put a few twists of his own amongst them they seemed to be shielding yours.”

“Are mine.”

“Like the others they are fine. Quiet good magic actually for someone who hasn’t been trained. Well it seems you have done fine. You should look to replace them in a year or two but for now they should hold, but...”

“What?”

“You know they won’t hold someone really determined. As I said you just haven’t got the placement right, not counting Dumbledore’s I think it would only take me half an hour or so to get through them. If I wasn’t subtle even faster, you’ll know about it if someone attempted it but that’s how long they will last.”

Harry just stood surveying the outside of the house. He had thought that this would have solved everything. With these wards he would be able to protect his house and those within but that wasn’t the case.

“Well done Harry anyway it is hard to perform wards, so is that it?”

“I do have one more thing if you don’t mind.”

“Lead on.”

Harry was feeling a little glum as he trudged up the stairs to his floor. He stood on the landing and waited for Bill to follow him. Bill stopped on the last step, the hairs on the back of his neck suddenly raised themselves it was a sure sign that something was different here. Without stepping off the last step he performed his spell again but this time the results were different. Runes and inscriptions flashed up faster than he could see and then with a small crackle the spell failed.

Bill waited a moment before trying again and the same thing happened, a jumble displayed to him followed by his spell premature failure. He tried a third time but focusing on one of the walls. This time the rune weren’t so numerous but the spell failed still. Gingerly he reached out with his hand, he could feel the magic intercepting it before it passed through. Taking a careful step he walked onto the landing.

Once inside the wards he performed the spell once more. The jumbled letters looked less random this time but the flashed past still far to fast for him to fully read. Gingerly he tested a section with a different spell. He had never seen anything like these wards before and just had to see the results.

The instant flash of light told him the news but the sudden pain that shot through his arm would forever remind him.

“Um are these...” asked Harry concerned at what he had seen.

“Did you perform these ones?”

“Yes...I um was thinking about protecting this floor and it just happened. I knew what wards I think it should be protected with and so just cast them. I don't think I was paying enough attention so they might be....”

“No, no, no, Harry these are....like that work of art I spoke of. You have interwoven them perfectly. I don't think I could have done a better job.” Replied Bill rubbing his arm slightly as it started to go numb.

“But I just let it happen.”

“Next time do that because this is safe. I wouldn’t want to get through this lot not without good backup anyway.”

“So they are fine?”

“If you need somewhere safe Harry, say right here on this floor you won’t find many better places outside Hogwarts.”

Harry smiled at the thought as he led Bill back to the rest. Bill on the other hand looked close at Harry, there was a lot going on with that boy. Whether he knew it or not he was one extraordinary wizard...and he was dating his little sister!

When they reached the hall Bill paused and faced Harry.

“Harry could we have a quick chat?”

“Um…yeah.” Replied Harry leading Bill towards the drawing room, he headed straight for one of the sofas but Bill had stopped and looked around.

“I would never have…”

“There’s a lot in the house that I hadn’t seen before.”

Bill shook his head slightly and realised Harry was right. He had been here a few times but he had only been in a few rooms, he crossed to Harry and sat in one of the chairs.

“Harry you are different, very different to most.”

“Um….”

“You have power Harry those wards were….powerful I may have said that they were a little crude but there was no denying their power.”

“Hermione helped me….”

“But it was you who cast them. Fleur tells me that there is more to you, if that is the case then be careful.”

“Why?”

“Power like that can be dangerous, people will resent it, hate you for it.”

“But…but….”

“It’s alright Harry I just want to tell you that I trust you if I ever forget it just remind me of this conversation.”

“Um…I will.” Replied Harry looking at Bill and feeling more and more uncomfortable.

“I also want to talk about Ginny.”

“G...g...ginny.” Stammered Harry, he had expected at sometime one of Ginny’s brothers would talk but not Bill.

“Yes I’d like to apologise for her.”

“Apologise?”

“Yes I saw how she acted after dinner.”

“I…um…”

“She never had something…so good. Being the youngest and the girl of the family she has almost always been left out. With you she wants to rub it in to us brothers. Don’t hate her for it.”

“I don’t…”

“But I see that some of what she does makes you uncomfortable, I can have a word-”

“No…no….it’s fine I’m just….”

Bill looked at Harry and the realised that he had made one of the biggest mistakes of his life. He opened his mouth wide and laughed out loud; it was a deep laugh and reverberated around the room.

“Sorry Harry I didn’t realise.”

“What?”

“The look on your face it tells it all, sorry that I got it wrong. How about we go back to the others and you can tell Ginny, I’m sure she would want to pull my leg. Don’t worry about the family Harry Ginny really does know what she is doing and I’m just a stupid brother. And speaking of brothers I’ll have a quiet word I’m certain that the others want to speak to you they did to all of the other boyfriends.”

Harry just looked at Bill and began to understand why he had made Head Boy at Hogwarts and why he was so successful at Gringotts.



**

Peter Baily was one of the Assistant Editors of The Prophet and he leaned back in his chair letting out a large sigh. He had finished the article and ahead of the deadline. As he placed the draft back down on his desk and let himself have a smile of success. It had been hard for him to get all of the information and he still wanted more but he had enough to go to print.

A couple of weeks ago one of his Ministry contacts had giving him the startling slice of information. At first he had wanted to dismiss it, the change of power between Fudge and Scrimgeour was taking everybody’s time and all available space in the paper. This story though good, very good if true wasn’t worth the risk, yet he had done so. Somewhere in the back of his mind it jogged him until he set wheels in motion. Now as he read everything he understood that the timing had not been coincidental and if he hadn’t been tipped this small story would never had come to light.

He remembered the meeting like yesterday, the balding man had asked for a meeting one lunch time. He was trying his best to run down a led on Scrimgeour history with the Auror’s and had thought that that was the reason for the meeting. He had waited almost tem minuets for the man to arrive and was on the verge of leaving when his contact had sat opposite him breathlessly.

“So you have found out what I wanted?” Peter asked.

“Um...no...but, I’ve found out something better.”

“Better?”

“Yes it’s about Harry Potter.”

“Harry Potter?”

The man nodded but looked around before saying anything more.

“He doesn’t even know yet. It only came across my desk this morning.”

“What?”

“Two sets of papers. This first was a will drawn up a few months ago. The second was from Albus Dumbledore.”

“And?” Asked Peter clearly getting bored wit the conversation.

“He’s the benefactor of the Black family, the sole benefactor.”

“Who Albus?”

“No Harry Potter.”

Peter’s mind was quick, thirty years of journalism had taught it to be so but he was grasping a little at the relevance.

“What was the second?”

“He’s being made an adult, a year early.”

Peter replied automatically. “He can’t be it against the law.”

“No that’s just it, it is possible. It’s rare but it’s possible, it’s to do with the old families and law.”

“You said this came from Dumbledore, the great champion for change?”

“Yes it’s his signature, and mark. I checked twice.”

Peter’s mind ran fast along all possible routes, this would indeed sell papers. Any story about The Boy Who Lived sold but this, this could be the best.

“Thanks’ for the information. If anything else like this comes along tell me instantly ok?”

“Of course....about my....”

“Money, no problem I’ll make sure there’s something extra as well.”

Peter left the man almost at once, his mind on the task of this new story. As soon as he gotten back to his office he started to make inquires, he knew the exact person he wanted on this job, Rita Skeeter. He called her into his office as soon as she was available but was surprised that she turned the job down, just the mention of Harry’s name had cause the woman to shudder and pale. From then onwards he had run the story himself.

It had been years since he controlled a story alone but it all come flooding back to him. He had spoken the editor and had been given until the start of the school term to write the article. Both of them knew that when school started not as many papers would sell. That had given him very little time to find the facts!

It had taken until yesterday for him to get enough for the story. He wanted more, he always wanted more but he had enough. The Solicitors had been the easiest, a small word hear and large payment there and Bingo the girl had talked. He didn't get much but it confirmed what his Ministry Contacts had told him. Next he had worked on the Bank.

In his estimation he suspected that Harry was now one of the wealthiest people in Britain and by far the wealthiest bachelor but he wanted proof and figures to publish. So day after long day he had tried to get information out of the bank but he seemingly hit a wall, the Goblins ran such a tight ship he was finding it impossible. Eventually his determination did find a person, it wasn’t the best source but he did get a little information. No facts and figures were given but his supposition was true, that had been the last information he was waiting on, all of the others were easy.

Well all but one, he had tried but knew it to be futile when he started. The shopping trip Harry had made was common knowledge. He was able to speak to most of the shop assistants about that day all except one, Madam Malkins. He had used her services before, and in the past had even used her to get information that he need but this time she flatly refused. No matter what he offered she had said no and when she said no she meant it. He’d was able to talk to the assistant who helped, but even she didn’t give out any information. Luckily she wasn’t used to dealing with the press, and had let slip that Harry had purchased everything he and his companions chose.

That was all in the past now, he had finished his article. He suspected that he would have to write a follow up article in the future and looked forward to it but his mind was of tomorrow, 1st September the first day of Term and the day he would try and break his record for most sold papers.
Sign up to rate and review this story