Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Slayer, The Avatar And The Guardian Of Light

CH85 - The Element Of Fire

by GuardianOfLight 1 review

The Conclusion Of The Battle

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Crossover,Drama - Characters: Bellatrix,Draco,Dumbledore,Ginny,Harry,Hermione - Warnings: [!] [V] [?] - Published: 2008-01-27 - Updated: 2008-01-27 - 6082 words

4Exciting
Chapter 85 - The Element Of Fire

FLASHBACK

Dimension: 563 - Earth
Date: Unknown
Country: Unknown
Location: Unknown
Time: An Eternity In A Second


"You really know how to choose your training locations don't you." Panted Harry "You couldn't have chosen somewhere slightly hotter by any chance?"

"Only if you want to be inside the volcano rather than just standing on its edge." Replied Adam dryly "I don't think you need to ask what element you will be practicing next."

Harry glanced around at the ground they were standing on; one side was an ash covered slope while the other was a smoking volcano caldera.

"I could hazard a guess that it may be fire."

"And you would be right. Fire is the hardest element to master as it is only destructive in nature, all the other elements can be constructive. Water, air and earth are all part of nature's growth efforts but the only way fire is constructive is the effects of the ash after it has destroyed what was there before. Again, like with the other elements you need to force the element to do what you want," explained Adam "Thusly."

Turning to the volcano Adam created a ball of fire out of the air before firing it as a stream of fire towards the other side of the volcano, charring the rock where it hit.

He then proceeded to create another ball of fire and start floating it around him, directing it with his finger tips.

"Before you ask, I am not using magic to float the fireball, just elemental skill."

He summoned the ball back to his hand, before placing his other over it and pulling it apart so that the ball expanded to several times its original size.

"Control over fire means many things," he continued, shrinking the ball back to its original size before letting it drop to his hand and continue to burn upwards like a normal flame "You can control its size, its temperature, the force behind the flame."

He demonstrated by making the flame turn blue as it increased in temperature and making it burn harder as if out of the end of a rocket before returning it to its original state.

"You also have the ability to alter temperature and manipulate the fire in almost any way you want."

END FLASHBACK
________________________________________________________________________

Dimension: 563 - Earth
Date: 24th September 2001 AD
Country: Britain - Scotland
Location: Hogsmeade
Time: Afternoon


"Not you." Hissed Bellatrix, pointing her wand at Hermione and Ginny when they tried to move away from the snake that had cornered the pair "You stay there. Now everyone throw your wands and other weapons away now."

There was again a moment's hesitation before wands started hitting the ground, Harry knew no matter what he said they would ignore him and do it anyway.

Taking a chance Harry flexed the fingers of his hand, before drawing them back and squeezing them into a fist, putting pressure on his Alliance ring, sending the message that he wanted before relaxing his fingers, making it look like nothing more than a stretch to the vampires holding him.

Hopefully she was nearby.

"Well done." Bellatrix beamed excitedly, before turning to the vampire holding his neck "Ok, now you can eat him."

The cries of shock and alarm that went up were missed by Harry as a pair of fangs sunk into his neck and his eyes opened wide in shock.

The first thing he noticed was that it was not so much painful after the initial bite, but more tiring and draining....literally.

The unusual sensation cursed through him as his life's blood was pulled from his body.

The world seemed to slow and blur as the liquid of existence left him and he was barely aware of it when the vampire on his left cried out in pain, proceeded by a slight pulling sensation on the back of his hand, the Death Eater on his right keeled forward as something with wings flew into the back of its head, a stake impacted the chest of the vampire in front of him, dusting him instantly and as the tight grip around his leg was released.

The crowd of students, teachers and shoppers charged the Death Eaters, ignoring the fact that most were unarmed as they were unable to cast wandless charms to recover their weapons.

It took a good two seconds for him to comprehend what was going on before the world started making sense.

His arms were free, he could move and what is more, he could save himself.

In a swift movement he clenched his body and curled his head and chest downwards.

He gave off a gasp as the vampire's teeth were pulled backwards through his skin, tearing two long gashes before disengaging as the blood sucker went hurtling over him and landed on its back.

He was instantly on the move, his wand was around somewhere, probably with one of the vampires and no one other than a select few knew about his fathers, so he would have to use different tactics.

Rolling to his feet, he placed one hand over his neck to pressure his wound; the last thing he needed was to bleed out in the middle of a battle but he was aware that he was fading fast.

Continuing his movement he took a half running, half staggering step past the vampire he had flipped. Holding his other hand over the creature he in one swift movement created and blasted a fireball into the beast, incinerating it before it could even regain its feet.

He tried to take another step but his legs dropped out from under him, causing him to land hard on the ground.

"Arry!" cried Fleur as she and Remus reached him, she was already unsteady on her feet because of his weakened state. She dropping to the ground beside him while Remus stood guard over them.

She rolled him over so he was on his back looking up at her.

His eyes were rolling slightly but his hand was still clamped down hard upon his neck, though blood was flooding from the wound.

Someone of in the distance, possibly Aberforth called out "Remus! Put this on his neck and make him drink the rest!" this was followed shortly by the Professor in question dropping down beside him with a vial in his hand.

"Stay with us Harry." He ordered while uncorking the small vial of clear liquid and following the instructions given to them.

Harry's vision and hearing were beginning to fade, he was vaguely aware of Neville and Luna moving to either side of him, wands out to protect those on the ground, but Harry saw no more as his vision completely failed and he passed out.
________________________________________________________________________

Fleur watched half terrified as Harry lost consciousness, the drops of liquid on Harry's neck had just healed the artery that had been punctured and had done a bit more on healing the wounds before it lost effectiveness leaving two relatively deep but luckily not fatal gashes on his neck, blood still oozed from them but only just, though he had already lost a lot of blood.

"Arry!" she gasped.

"He will be alright!" called Aberforth as he faced off against three Death Eaters "The rest that he drank will keep him going and will restore some of his blood; he should be conscious again in minutes."

"Let's get him inside." Called Remus as he heaved him up into his arms and headed for the Three Broomsticks, Neville and Luna providing cover fire as they went.
________________________________________________________________________

Draco was annoyed....Draco was actually genuinely annoyed, and what was annoying him most was the fact that he was annoyed by the fact that Potter had been injured. Potter of all people, simply because he knew Ginny would be upset.

And what made it worse was that the redhead in question was pinned to a wall by a snake that just refused to be affected by anything, even the blasting and cutting hexes that had killed some of the other snakes had no affect and they just bounced of despite Granger's best efforts.

He had managed to make his way over to the pair who were still being covered by Ginny's twin brothers who were once again fighting his psychotic aunt.

Sending a punching hex at the snake he slammed its head into the wall, dazing it.

"Now Granger!!" he shouted as the girl in question grabbed a hold of Ginny and wrenched her away from the wall, but more importantly, away from the snake before it could recover from the impact strike.

He never got the chance to say more as he was almost shaken off his feet by an explosion to his left.

Turning he saw that the twins had both been knocked unconscious by Bellatrix who was now advancing on them, as was the annoyed snake.

"Come here poppet." She smiled, grinning inanely at Ginny.

The trio backed up as his aunt and the legless reptile moved towards them, Ginny was still quivering in fear at the snake, if it weren't for the dammed thing she would be a lot more useful, he had seen how powerful her curses could be, everyone had a weakness, but for now she was still hiding behind him and Granger.

Him and Granger, that's something he never would have thought he'd say.

"You get the snake," he told the brunette "We've got her."

Accepting the decision immediately the Mud....Muggle Born nodded to him and started drawing the snake away from them, down a nearby alley.

"You really think you can beat me Drakey?" Bellatrix laughed.

"On my own," he replied as calmly as he could "Probably not, but with the snake gone Miss Weasley here no longer has anything to fear, from it."

This was demonstrated a split second later when a blasting hex hit the ground next to Lestrange, knocking her off of her feet.

"As was just proved." Ginny added, the look on her face was downright dangerous. Whether it was because of how useless she felt when she was up against the snake, how angry she was that she had done nothing or how pissed she was at Lestrange for even setting the thing on her, he really did not want to know, but one thing Draco did know was that Lestrange was going to pay for it.

The pair started throwing hex after hex at the witch, who barely had time to scramble backwards and start blocking the spells before they reached her.

"How do you like it aunt when you can be out fought by two teenagers?" asked Draco in between curses.

Two well synchronized bludgeoning hexes knocked her wand from her hand and sent her back to the floor with a grunt as she hit the hard path.

Draco summoned her wand to his hand as she scrambled after it, before pointing both wands at her.

"On the floor three times in one day aunt, what does that feel like?"

He never got an answer as the ground started to shake.

"What is that?" asked Ginny looking around, trying to see what was causing the tremor, but from the way that Bellatrix had started cackling again, it couldn't be good.

Most of the fighting had stopped as people tried to figure out what was going on, the Death Eaters and remaining vampires were using it as a distraction to regroup.

The answer came about five seconds after the shaking had begun when a loud rumbling sound originated from the direction of the Hogs Head followed by an almighty sound somewhere between a crash and an explosion.

Spinning around the residence and guests of Hogsmeade were greeted by the sight of a wide (at least six feet in diameter) and very very long body extending out of the wreckage of the Hogs Head, following the body to its termination they were able to see the head of a very large Basilisk.

"Oh bloody hell."
________________________________________________________________________

Fleur, Remus, Neville and Luna emerged from the pub as the ground started shaking to see the towering mass of serpent burst through the rival pub.

"That's not good." Said Neville flatly.

"I think that's the understatement of the year." She replied.

"Look at its eyes." Said Luna's dreamy voice.

"DON'T LOOK AT ITS EYES!!" countered Remus.

Fleur already had.

"No she's right, look." She said, pointing at the objects in question.

Obviously realising that the others were still breathing Remus followed their line of sight.

In place of its eyes, the Basilisk had two metal spheres which appeared to have the Dark Mark engraved upon them, obviously some form of control.

"Well that's one bit of good luck." He sighed, just as the Basilisk roared, swung its head down and devoured a shopper whole.

"I think you spoke too soon Remus." Replied Fleur "I'll distract it while you get everyone clear."

Pocketing her wand she took a running jump and despite her weakened state, launched herself into the air as she transformed and flew at the beast.

"Everybody get to cover!!" she heard Remus yell as she conjured a fireball and launched it at the creature.
________________________________________________________________________

"Why," curse "Why," another curse "Oh why," stake "Does it always have to be SNAKES!!" bellowed Buffy in between fighting "Weren't the little ones enough."

"Obviously not." Replied the Dumbledore look-a-like as they cleared a path for the civilians to get to cover "But as long as Miss Delacour can keep the Basilisk occupied until we can get everyone to cover and until reinforcements arrive we will be alright."

"How will we be alright against THAT!" she exclaimed, ducking a vampires fist (more of them kept showing up from somewhere) "Last time I took on something that large it took a school blowing up to kill it."

"Then I believe Mr Potter has one up on you, he managed to kill a slightly smaller one with a sword."

"That one was blind, I know all about the trip into the Chamber thing," shield, flame curse "Ron and Hermione filled me in and encase you did not notice I do not happen to have a sword on me."

She ducked and rolled to dodge a pair of curses from the remaining Death Eaters, most were now lying on the ground, in various forms of unconsciousness "Only one dagger, three stakes and a very sharp knife....And you don't want to know where I'm keeping the knife."

"Probably not." He agreed, launching a blasting hex at a vampire, dusting it upon impact.

Most of the population had made their way to the end of the village by this point, turning back, Buffy saw that the Basilisk was still half in the hole it had emerged from, snapping at the bird like form flapping around its head and throwing fireballs at it, some of the strikes were far too close for her liking, one bite and Fleur would be gone.

"Get them to safety." She called, stopping and running back in the direction they came "I will help our feathered friend."

"Be careful." He called as he followed the students, shoppers and residence out of the village and to safety "I will try and get some reinforcements."

Se barely heard the last bit as she drew her dagger and threw it as hard as she could at the serpent, but considering the size of the thing it did not even notice the eight inch dagger that impaled it in between some of its scales.

Running up to the snake (that had not even noticed her attack) she twisted her dagger (with some difficulty, the scales were tightly packed and without Slayer strength the dagger had a firm grip) to create a large hole before hauling it out.

Stepping back she aimed her wand at the hole (which the dagger had made by widening the wound, half tearing a scale out in the process) and shouted.

"Bombarder."

The Basilisk might not have felt the dagger, but it definitely felt a blasting hex hitting its unprotected skin at point blank range.

It reared up and roared in pain as the curse hit, creating a foot wide hole in its armoured hide, not to mention the even larger hole on its inside.

The snake spun around to look at her.

"Oh crap."

She dived to the left as it struck at her, its head smashing the brick paving where it impacted.

Rolling to her feet, she was forced into another immediately dive as the snakes head almost bit her legs off. Buffy was aware of fireballs impacting the beast but Fleur's attacks seemed to have no more effect than rain against skin.

"Where's Harry with a sword when you need him." She grunted between dodges.

"Right here." Came the reply.

Both Buffy and the Basilisk turned to the voice.

Standing in the door to The Three Broomsticks, leaning heavily against the frame with Madam Rosmerta and a few of the formerly wounded standing close behind him was Harry with a pair of rapier swords in his hands.

"Oh great," sighed Buffy "My knight in shining armour who can barely stand."

"Hey, be grateful I am here at all," he countered "I was tempted not to come, after all the rest of the wounded and myself were just left here when you all ran for it, only Fleur and Madam Rosmerta remained."

"Well while you are here could you possibly help out?"

The Basilisk suddenly seemed to realise that it had stopped attacking and sent another lunge at Buffy.

"Ahh." She cried as she threw herself sideways, hitting the ground awkwardly so the force went straight up her elbow "Well could you make your mind up quickly, before I get turned into an appetiser."

Harry was already on the move, running towards her. As the Basilisk went for another strike he threw one of his swords at the space between Buffy and the beast.

The sword, either by luck or skill reached the space between them just as the Basilisks open mouth passed through it, ready to snap Buffy's feet off, impaling itself in one of the Basilisks gums.

The Basilisk reared, sending the sword flying out of its mouth with the force of the move.

"MOVE!!" bellowed Harry as he ran past her, half a dozen of the wounded following him with their wands drawn, Harry's was on the ground somewhere where the vampire had ripped it out of his hand "Accio Harry Potter's wand!"

The object in question, flew towards him, he casually caught it after stowing his second sword back in its invisible sheave on his back before reaching down to grab his first as he passed where it had stuck in the ground.

"Blasting hexes!!" he shouted, just as Buffy joined them "Aim for the head and the hole in its side, spread out, don't let it come near you."

A barrage of hexes started raining down on the Basilisk, those not quite so good on their long distance cursing aiming for the hole, while those with the best aim fired at the head which was writhing around as each new curse hit.

"KEEP FIRING, KEEP FIRING!!!" Bellowed Harry as he stowed his wand and sword away and began swirling his arms around in circles.
________________________________________________________________________

Buffy had rejoined the group facing the Basilisk and being no quite skilled enough to hit a constantly moving head had opted to aim for the serpent's previous injury, which was now almost a meter and a half in diameter, but due to the burning affect of the hexes the wound was not allowing the creature to bleed out.

"Use cutting curses!" Called Fleur as she swooped down past her "Make it bleed out!"

Fleur quickly embraced Harry before drawing her wand and heading over to join Madam Rosmerta in The Three Broomsticks to guard any wounded left inside, the Death Eaters and remaining vampires may have left when the Basilisk appeared but that did not mean they were gone.

"You heard her!" shouted Buffy changing her spells so that the massive internal wound could bleed.

The Basilisk was continuing to attempt to strike at them but kept being forced back by the constant barrage, though obviously wounded the huge hole in its side barely seemed to faze it and the blasting hexes aimed at its head only did any damage when they impacted inside the mouth, the rest impacted harmlessly on its hard scales, having no more affect on the beast than stinging hexes.

What made it worse was that the blasting hexes were tiring out the group and even the massive lack of blood from the now gushing wound was not slowing it down.

Finding a gap in the fire the Basilisk dove its head towards them, several of the fighters dived for cover, but not because of the approaching teeth, but because of the massive flame that erupted from amongst the group, literally blasting the Basilisks head back with the force of the flame.

Looking around Buffy saw Harry seem to gather fire in his hand and send another blast at the creature.

"Is there no end to your talents?"

"That's for me to know," he gasped with great effort as he sent another blast of flame at the creature "And you to find out."

Buffy's senses tingled as she felt people approaching.

Spinning around and raising a wand, she let out a huge sigh of relief to see both Dumbledore's, Tonks, Colette, a lot of the other Hogwarts teachers and many of those who were in the group that left a few minutes ago running towards them.

"It's about time." She sighed "I thought the cavalry was supposed to make a timely entrance, we have had several major disasters."

"My apologise Buffy, we came as soon as we could." Replied the Headmaster as he approached and joined the cursing against the creature.

"The attack started ages ago, the entire town has been held up, I've been dropped from a great height, Harry was bitten by a vampire, Ginny and Hermione were almost bitten by a snake and I was almost shish kebab for that thing."

"Is everyone alright?" asked Colette, launching fireballs out of both hands at the Basilisks head.

"There are many wounded, including Ron's twin brothers, not to mention the fact that Harry can barely stand. Why did you take so long anyway? Couldn't you see the fire fight?"

"Actually no." answer Tonks "There were concealment charms over the village; luckily they only extended up ten meters."

"What about it." Buffy asked between curses.

"Well seeing a disembodied neck and head of a Basilisk extending out of thin air does tend to give the game away." Explained Tonks with a smile "The Headmasters brother's message spell arrived shortly after I reached the Headmasters Off...."

Tonks had trailed off because she had just seen Harry release another jet of flame at the Basilisk.

"Holy Merlin's suspenders." Exclaimed Colette "He's putting my fireballs to shame."

"How on Earth is he doing that!" shouted Ron as he Neville and Luna rejoined the fight, most of the DA were following them.

"I do not know," answered Aberforth Dumbledore "But it will be interesting to find out after we deal with the Basilisk."

"It should be dead already!" added Adam as he ran up beside them, waving his staff in a complicated pattern he created a ball of blue energy which he threw at the serpent, the impact was comparable to a high calibre shell being detonated "That injury you've made has almost cut right through it and the amount of blasting hexes it's been hit by would certainly have killed it. It has to be being magically controlled and strengthened by someone."

"Those medallions in its eyes are probably the key." Continued the Headmaster "We need to destroy them."

There was several seconds of silence, or rather lack of speaking, the sounds of the numerous blasting spells, roaring flames and wailing Basilisk still filled the air.

"I've got an idea!" exclaimed Buffy before turning to their resident pyromaniac "Harry!"

He spun his head to her.

"I need your swords!"

In a very quick motion he drew them both off of his back and threw them at her.

"Give me covering fire!" she shouted before taking a running forward.

"Buffy, what are you!" she heard one of the Dumbledore shout just before she took a running jump at the beast and dug the swords deep into its hide, several feet of the ground.
________________________________________________________________________

"She's not going to...." asked Neville.

"She is." Replied Ron as Buffy started using the swords to climb up the serpent, using them like ice picks to lift herself higher and highter.

"Stop firing at the head!!" ordered Adam "You might hit her, only aim for the wound!!"

All the wand users realigned their sights to aim at the wound, there were over thirty of them by now and the combination of over thirty curses every five seconds aimed at the wound rapidly resulted in a loud crack emanating from it.

"The spinal cords been severed!" shouted Tonks as the serpent began to wobble about "It can't hold itself up. RUN!!"

There was a made dash as the crowd ran to get out of the way of the toppling snake.
_______________________________________________________________________

"OOOHHH SSSHHHIIITTT!!!" shouted Buffy as the Basilisk started to fall, why couldn't it have done this when she was at the bottom of its neck rather than the top, she had to hang on tight to the swords as they approached the ground.

At the last moment before impact she launched herself up into the air just before the serpent collided with the ground, allowing her to land gently on top of the still moving beast.

"How can this thing still be living, it's not even half the snake it used to be and it's still going."

She didn't wait for the reply as she withdrew her swords from the Basilisks neck, ran up the remaining five meters of neck and plunged both swords down through its eyes.

There was a bright flash of green light as the control devices shattered and exploded before the Basilisk stopped moving for good.

Staying seated for several seconds before slowly easing the swords out, getting up and jumping down.

"Well that was fun, who's up for round two?"

Most of the assembled group turned to look at her as if she had grown another head.

"What?" she shrugged "This was easy, it doesn't even count as an apocalypse."

After checking that the beast was finally dead, people started the clean up operation, healing those that needed to be healed, tying up any Death Eaters that had been incapacitated (the sun had started shinning almost as soon as the Basilisk was killed so the unconscious vampires were long gone, there was mostly quiet in the village until Buffy heard Ron's call out.

"Hermione?....HERMIONE!!"

Looking around Buffy could see no sign of the brunette, and judging by the looks on the faces of Ginny, Neville, Luna, Harry and Fleur nor could they.

"Over here!!" shouted Malfoy from the mouth of an alley, the group along with Professor Dumbledore, McGonagall, Adam and Mrs Malfoy headed towards them.

When Buffy reached the alley they saw Draco carrying the girl in question out into the light of the main street.

She was laying limp in his arms, she was pale, her body was covered in sweat, and her right arm was swollen up.

"She's been bitten by the snake." Draco explained placing her on the ground so that she could be examined.

Adam immediately dropped down beside her and began checking her over.

"What did the snake look like?" he asked though it sounded more like a demand.

"It was very big, greyish and had an ink black mouth." Replied Draco.

"A black....black mamba." Added Ginny worriedly. As she reappeared from the alley holding Hermione's wand and levitating what appeared to be a snake's skeleton quite a way in front of her.

"Not good." Muttered Adam, inspecting the puncture wounds "She has already slipped into a coma."

"Save her!!" demanded Ron, from her other side where he was holding her hand dangerously tight.

"You know I will do all I can Ron." He replied before turning around "Brian, Harry I need to borrow some power."

He extended his staff towards them which they understood to mean ‘hold this'.

As soon as the pair touched the staff, both lurched as if someone was pulling at them from the inside, from what Buffy could see it looked comparable to being drained by a vampire, Harry must have felt terrible after being subjected to the feeling twice in one day.

The group watched as white wisps of power flowed from the pair, down the arms, into the staff, into Adam and then through his arm to his glowing hand which was held over the wound.

"Come on." He urged, forcing the light to become brighter.

Finally a black liquid began oozing its way out of the two bite marks on her swollen arm; the smell hit those surrounding them like a tonne of bricks.

Most recoiled, several had to cover their mouths to prevent them bringing up their last meal.

"That's not normal snake venom." Gasped Adam, trying to focus on the injury he was trying to heal.

After several minutes the wound started bleeding red as the last of the venom was removed, the swelling on Hermione's arm had gone down greatly and she seemed to be just sleeping rather than being comatose.

"She should be ok now." panted Adam as he dropped sideways to lie on the ground at the same time as Dumbledore and Harry were finally able to release the staff; both stumbled and were caught by Remus and Neville.

"That was exhausting." Stated Harry, dropping to the floor beside Adam, Fleur moved to the floor beside him, equally as exhausted due to their connection but doing her best not to show it.

"Your energy will return after some rest." Reassured Adam as he hauled himself up, using his staff to support him.

On the floor between them Hermione began to stir.
________________________________________________________________________

Slowly opening her eyes, the first thing Hermione noticed was how weak she felt.

The last thing she remembered was the snake biting her followed by pain and the sight of her muscles twitching out of her control, after that she must have passed out.

Looking up she saw Ron, Ginny and Buffy leaning over her looking relieved.

"You look like you've seen a ghost." she said jokingly.

"More like another giant snake." Buffy managed to say through her shock

"A BASILISK!!" Hermione shouted sitting up very rapidly which she immediately regretted as she was rewarded with a splitting headache.

Ginny shuddered at the word "Y....Yes" she said turning to where the snake was "As well as lots....of smaller snakes?"

"But they are all gone now, though you were almost killed by a smaller one." Added Buffy.

Hermione did not get the chance to say any more as Ron's relief broke through his restraint as he engulfed Hermione in a tight hug.

"Hermione, I'm so sorry, I'm sorry I tried to force Ginny and Draco apart, I'm sorry that I upset you in doing so and I'm sorry I let you get hurt. Please forgive me."

"Not so loud." Hermione pleaded clutching her head.

"Sorry." he apologised again leaning back to holding her face in his hands, his expression was scared, the most vulnerable she had ever seen him, as if her very words could break him "Please forgive me."

"I forgive you Ron." she smiled, realising that he had learnt his lesson from the prank earlier.

His facial expression instantly changed to one of relief at her words before he drew her into another hug.

Thank god he's safe, wait…

Why is his arm....

BLOOD.

She drew back and looked at his right arm.

"You're bleeding." she said worried, Professor McGonagall knelt down next to him and began to examine his arm.

"Cutting curse." she concluded "Nothing serious, there are much worse injured around."

"What happened to Lestrange and the rest of the Death Eaters?" Hermione asked.

"They disappeared when the Basilisk showed up." Explained Harry.

"What did you say to her Lord Black?" asked Narcissa "I have not seen her look that scared since we were children."

"I told her what I would be able to do to her if it were not for Sirius's unpopular views." He replied giving a shudder "It almost make me sick thinking about what I was suggesting, but it was worth it to see the fear in her eyes when she realised that she could not harm me and that I had power over her."

"Did we lose anyone?" asked Hermione turning to the other Professors.

The event's that followed this question took less than a second to transpire:

Firstly Adam opened his mouth to answer.

Secondly he stopped and seemed to sense something.

Thirdly concern flashed across his face.

And fourthly he spun to his feet staff extended.

Before he had completely turned a bolt of green light hit him, it spun around him like electricity, engulfing him causing him to cry out in pain.

The others jumped back instinctively at the sight; about ten meters behind Adam stood James, dressed similarly to his brother, carrying what appeared to be an identical staff except that it was jet black including the crystal.

His face was covered with a smile, pleasure at seeing his brother's pain.
________________________________________________________________________

Buffy was in shock, where had he come from.

She turned back to Adam and saw a small flash of white light, only visible from her position behind him and even then she may have imagined it, the flash had come from the hand surrounding his staff, the flash was directed through the hand into the staff.

"Let him go!" Ginny screamed, running at The Guardian's brother.

"GINNY NO!" Draco and Ron both shouted.

James casually waved his hand to the side, sending the red head flying into the side of a nearby building, falling to the ground unconscious.

"GINNY!" Draco shouted as he ran past the group and along with Ron, Neville, Draco's mother and an exhausted Harry and Fleur, ran over to Ginny's still form.

The light around Adam intensified engulfing him until his convulsing form was not visible amongst the electric green light.

The light then shrank getting smaller but Adam didn't reappear out of the light.

The light became the size of a tennis ball; it then flew into James's waiting hand.

"Release him!" shouted Dumbledore bringing his wand to bear upon James and firing some unknown curse at the doppelganger.

Harry and Buffy joined the attack, Harry conjuring and throwing a fireball while Buffy threw a knife.

James raised a black misty shield that stopped Dumbledore's curse; Buffy's blade passed through it but was caught right out of the air, while Harry's fireball was deflected towards Buffy by James using the end of his staff like a Beaters bat.

Buffy went flying backwards as the fireball hit her, taking out most of the rest of the group still with Hermione as she went.

James then spun his staff around and fired two crackling red balls of light at Harry and Dumbledore, passing straight through their shields which were greatly weakened because of the fight and the recent power drain.

Both dropped to the floor, the red electricity crackled over them for a minute before dissipating, both looked alive but unconscious.

Narcissa, Draco, Ron and Neville were the next to move to attack James but were distracted when a loud cackling emanated from behind them.

Ron was nearest to the sound and as he spun around he received a hard kick to the chest, sending him back into the others, knocking them to the ground as well.

The group quickly recovered their feet but by then Bellatrix had moved over to stand next to James and what's more, in her arms she was holding the unconscious form of Ginny Weasley.

James grinned.

"This'll be fun."

With that the trio vanished in a flash of light, leaving nothing but the echoing sound of Lestrange's horrible laugh.

There was a dull thud and a ringing metal noise as Adams staff and his silver disk fell to the ground.
Sign up to rate and review this story