Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > The Downward Spiral

ONE-SHOT: Christmas Test

by 854439 0 reviews

Not everything you get at Christmas is a gift...

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Parody - Characters: Gerard Way - Published: 2007-04-24 - Updated: 2007-04-24 - 2913 words

0Unrated
I thought you all might like to know how my Christmas just went.

Not much to tell you, but it's enough:



Christmas comes around and I was all too happy to be told that I was spending Christmas with Mikey and Gerard at their parents. That meant no cooking to do and no pressure over decorating my own home.

So, Christmas Eve, and we stayed over the night, bags of presents in tow. Of course, Mikey makes a fuss over me still, so before I knew it, he was ushering me into a seat and holding a mug of coffee in my direction. Smiling, I took it off him before turning my head to watch Gerard (still blonde) stand and gape.

"Where's my help?" He asked, rattling the bags in his hands. I giggled before replying.

"Honey, take my bags too will you?" I pout over at him, batting my eyelashes. Before Gerard could answer, Mikey took them for me, carting them down into the basement. I rolled my eyes before settling back on the sofa.

"Sam! How are you?" I froze and briefly cringed before Donna smothered me with attention.

"I'm fine,"

"Good," Still, she hadn't let go of me, but finally she did. She eyed me for a moment before deciding to ask: "You look a bit...off...are you sure you're okay?" I didn't answer; just smiled wanly.

"Donna! I hope you're not choking the poor girl!" Called Donald, appearing from the same direction as Donna. I smiled over at him. "How are you?"

"I'm fine thanks," He nodded and smiled before frowning. I followed his gaze over to where Gerard was unloading his bags onto Mikey's hands (who didn't look too pleased about it) before leaving him to try and carry them downstairs. "Gerard! Carry your own stuff!" Gerard, rolling his eyes, took the bags back. I watched him begrudgingly carry them downstairs, leaving Mikey stood smiling smugly.

Remembering he's insisting on being my servant, Mikey bounded over to me.

"Need anything?" He asked, smiling. I smiled half-heartedly and shook my head.

"Nothing. Sit down, take a break," He eyed me, but sat down next to me anyway.

"Next year, I'm saying who gets what," Came Gerard's voice as he re-appeared. I smiled.
"Why?" I whined, moving my legs slightly so Donna could pass me.

"Because YOU were the one that kept on saying: 'Just one more' and 'Ooh, that's PERFECT for your mother!'" He explained, imitating me with a dry, high-pitched voice. I laughed, holding my hand out in his direction.

"Aww, poor baby," He pouted, taking my hand before padding around the sofa and collapsing next to me. Smiling, biting my lip, I ruffled what's left of his hair. "I'll never get used to you looking like a light bulb..." I trailed off, eyes trained on his hair.

"Well thanks for the encouragement with this," He said, mockingly sounding hurt. Smiling again, my eyes met his.

"You have my full support with this, it's just..." I sniffed before looking to my other side at Mikey devoid of glasses. "Too many changes," I squeaked before wailing and throwing myself on Gerard. Laughing, he pried me off him.

"Look what I've got kiddies!" I craned my head around to look at Donna, carrying a cardboard box filled to the brim with trinkets, books and photos. Both Mikey and Gerard groaned, slouching in their seats.

"What?"

"A wonderful trip down memory lane, that's what," Muttered Gerard, watching carefully as the box neared him. I smiled, crossing my legs. "Oh!" Suddenly perking up, he reached into the box as it passed.

"What's suddenly go-" I stopped as he lifted his hand between us. I smiled and rolled my eyes. "C'mon, you don't need mistletoe for that!" I told him incredulously, moving his hand from above us as I took a loose hold of his T-shirt, pulling him towards me. Grinning his head off, he pecked me on the lips. "However if THAT'S all I get without the mistletoe..." I let go of his hand, letting it hover above us.

Still grinning like a Cheshire cat, his hand curled itself around my neck, pulling me back towards him as he captured my lips with his.

Poetic, I know, but the moment was so...content, so calm so...perfect...

"Funny story about that mistletoe..." Began Donna. Groaning, Gerard pulled away from me, setting the mistletoe-holding hand on my lap. I smiled at him, lips still inches apart, before settling myself back for what I assumed was going to be the beginning of a night of embarrassing childhood stories.

I bit my lip as I noticed Mikey blushing a light shade of red.

"...That there mistletoe," Donnas voice penetrated my thoughts again and I turned my attention back to her. Gerard rested his head on mine, shifting about uncomfortable. "Was the sole cause of Gerard's first kiss," My mouth opened slightly before I managed to shut it.

"Really now?" I asked, removing my head from under Gerard's. Gerard, biting his bottom lip, nodded. "Aww," I enclosed the hand still holding the mistletoe in my lap with both of mine. "This mistletoe has so much history, then, and we just added to it," I was trying so vary hard to sound serious, but from the smile Donald had plastered on his face, I wasn't succeeding very well. "Ooh! Lets add more!" Prying the mistletoe from Gerard's grip, I held it above my head before tapping Mikey on the shoulder.

"No way!" Protested Gerard, grabbing my middle before reaching for the mistletoe. Giggling, I folded my arms, shielding the mistletoe between my arms. He grunted in my ear before folding his own arms around me.

There was a knocking at the door and Mikey, still rather pink, jumped up and dived for the door.

"Do you think we embarrass him?" I asked Gerard, leaning back slightly.

"Probably," I heard distant greetings, rather joyous ones, before considerable silence followed by the sound of a kiss breaking apart. My mouth opened slightly. "C'mon, we can do better," Suggested Gerard, tugging on my middle slightly. I smiled, scrambling over his leg before plonking myself between his thighs.

"This way," I looked over as Mikey re-entered followed by a very sweet-looking girl. "Everyone, this is Alicia," I smiled up at her, unable to stop myself. Still unable to stop myself, my mouth opened before I could stop it.

"Quick, there's still time: RUN!" She laughed. I smiled. "Mikey, I like her, you keep her," I told Mikey who was looking very relived. Even more so once I'd told him that.

"Alicia, this is my mom," Said Mikey, beginning the introductions.

"Call me Donna," Corrected Donna as Alicia started a circle around the living room. They shook hands before Alicia was moved on.

"And this is my dad,"

"Call me whatever you like, just not 'pops'," I smiled as they shook hands. I watched Mikey shoot both me and Gerard a warning glance as he steered Alicia over.

"This is my brother, Gerard," Carefully removing one of his arms from around me, Gerard shook her hand before replacing it around my middle. "And his girlfriend Sam," I smiled up at her.

"I'd shake your hand, but I'm protecting the mistletoe," She frowned, but laughed all the same.

"Yeah, it's about time you gave that back," Said Gerard, hands pawing at my arms playfully.

"What if I don't want to?" I asked as Alicia took a seat next to us. Mikey, it seemed, was quickly retreating to the kitchen for a moment to himself already.

"Well I'll have to make you then, won't I?" I turned my head to look at him.

"Baby, not around your parents you're not," He stared at me, cheeks slowly pinking.

"Okay, who gave her sugar?" Asked Alicia. I turned to look at her, smiling.

"Technically, the only sugar I've had today was in the chewing gum Gerard gave me. So..." I turned back to him. "You're to blame," His grip on my middle had become lapse and I scrambled my way free. "FREEDOM! Sorry Alicia, I'm kissing your boyfriend," She smiled in that way people tend to do when they don't really know what to say or do, That way that says: 'Oh...okay,', as I bounded past her and into the kitchen, Gerard not far behind me.



"Excuse me," Removing Gerard's hand from my lap, I stood up. "I think I need some fresh air,"

"I'll come with," Said Alicia, leaving Mikey's side for the first time in a few hours. I did my infamous goldfish impression before smiling and nodding.

"Okay...We'll be back in a few..." I nodded a few times, praying I hadn't heard her correctly before following her out.

The crisp night air made me shiver slightly in my shorts and top. Since the party Mikey and me had organised to celebrate both Christmas and Bob's birthday (as we all decided to spend the holidays with family) I'd had little energy to care much about my choice of clothing.

"So..." Began Alicia as I meandered around the corner, Alicia close behind me. I smiled - at least she was going to attempt conversation.

I stopped walking to turn and lean against the wall, feeling a sudden urge to rid my stomach of the food it had just received.

"Let me," I said, hunching over slightly. "Y'know, you are not only the first of Mikey's girlfriends I've ever met - which I think is so unfair, he sees me everyday, pretty much - but you're also, point-blank, the first of ANY of the guys girlfriends I've ever met," She smiled, leaning next to me against the wall.

"Why's that?" I shrugged, gently placing my hand to my stomach.

"Either they're scared that I'll scare them off or," I paused to disgustingly swallow the bile that rose in my throat. "Or they're...kind enough to remember me telling them that generally me and the female population don't get on very well," She pouted.

"What about me?" I gaped at her, before feeling immensely sick again and closing my mouth.

"Hey! I can't say anything, I've only just met you!" She sighed and nodded. "But first impressions are good..." She smiled wanly before jumping as Donna appeared from around the corner.

"Hi...Sam, could I have word?" I looked up at her.

"I, uhh...sure but..." I looked at Alicia before back at Donna. "She seems like a keeper, may as well test her out,"

"I'll take that as a compliment," Said Alicia, sounding amused.

"Good,"

"But Sam I really need to speak to you privately..." I paused a moment.

"Okay...if you want..." Donna turned and started to walk back around the corner. I took three steps before I had to lean against the wall as everything in my stomach found its way up my throat. "Oh...dear..."

A few minutes later and I was sat on the floor, trying my best to explain over Donna and Alicia what I thought was going on.

"Bad food?" Suggested Alicia. "I'm sorry, no offence," She quickly apologised to Donna.

"None taken. Are you eating enough at home?"

"Why would that-?"

"Long story, we'll tell you later,"

"Girls, I-"

"Caught a bug?"

"Kissing my boyfriend made you ill?" I smiled at Alicia.

"Kissing YOUR boyfriend made you ill?" I actually managed to laugh at that.

"Is it a mental or physical problem?"

"Girls I really don't think-"


"Why would that matter?"

"I don't know, it was just an idea,"


"Oh. Good one,"

"So is it-?"

"NO! SHUT UP!" They both sat on either side of me, silent for the first time in a few minutes. "I think..." I paused, taking a few deep breaths before whispering: "I'm pregnant..."

"AHHH! Really?"

"SHH!" I batted my hand around, trying to get Donna to be quiet. "I said I THINK I am..."

"How...? When...?" She asked, her attempts to not smile and squeal happily evident on her face.

"How is a bit of a stupid question, but when...why do you wanna know, this is your..." I resisted the urge to shudder at what was going on in her head.

"If you won't tell her, tell me," Chipped in Alicia, placing a hand on my arm. I held her gaze for a moment before yielding to the silent battle.

"We had a party for both Christmas and Bob's birthday...everyone was drinking and sometimes he likes to get away from alcohol...he gets testy if I make him stay, he gets testy if I leave him alone so I went with him to Starbucks for a little while..." I shifted about uncomfortably. "Smallest and worst toilet I've ever..." I trailed off, feeling my cheeks heat up.

"But you only THINK you're pregnant...you don't know for sure...?" Asked Donna. I nodded.

"I've not had a chance, it's been kinda hectic since the party with Bob leaving and presents and everything..."

"But we - you," She quickly corrected herself. "Need to know. But I can't go and fetch a test, every where's shut..." Alicia cleared her throat.

"Umm...I have...if you want...we're not trying but...better to be safe than...sorry..." She stared at the ground, biting her lip in the deafening silence that followed her offer.

"Yes, dear, we'll...she'll...okay!" Agreed Donna. Alicia nodded, standing up.

"Sam, go to the bathroom, Donna go with her, I'll fetch it from my bag and tell the guys we're...talking...still..." She took a deep breath while I heaved myself from the floor before dashing off for the front door; Donna and me following close behind.

"Sit there," Ordered Donna, seating me on the toilet seat. I smiled, amused, before straining to hear the muffled conversation through the door.

"This'll never work," I whispered.

"Why not?" Asked Donna.

"He's too damn nosey when it comes down to affairs involving me NOT to notice something going on!" I hissed. A voice neared the door as Alicia opened the bathroom door and slipped in.

"God, he's either smart or way too nosey," I raised an eyebrow at Donna, who shrugged. "Here," She handed me a box. I stared at her outstretched hand a moment before taking it off her.

"Fingers crossed," I stood form the toilet seat.

"For what?" I didn't answer; unsure myself which result would be the best.

"I don't know..." I sighed. "Right, out," I shooed them out of the bathroom, hoping they were smart enough to make an excuse for suddenly appearing out of the bathroom.

I looked down at the box in my hand.

There was only one way to be sure...



Footsteps approached the door and seemed to be about to pass before they stopped suddenly outside the door. They were a light set of footsteps, but not light enough for it to be a female, leaving only Mikey.

I took a ragged intake of breath and held it.

"Sam?" He knocked lightly on the door. "Are you okay?" I whimpered feebly as the door swung slowly open. "Sam?" He asked again, concerned as his gaze landed squarely on me, crouched on the floor, tears staining my face. I released my breath, sobbing as quietly as possible before taking in another ragged breath. He stepped in the room.

"..." I batted my hand around in the direction of the door, unable to form proper words. "D...oor," I chocked out. He turned and shut the door hastily before crouching down to my level.

"Sam, what's wrong?" He asked, placing his hands on my shoulders. I opened my mouth a few times but didn't manage to tell him. "Sam?" My eyes slid to the test sat menacingly on the toilet lid. He audibly gasped. "You're...?" my eyes screwed themselves up of their own accord as I forced myself to be quiet as another wave of tears pushed their way out.



I woke the next morning in bed. I smiled and rolled over as best as I could in the small bed, smiling at the sleeping Gerard. I pouted as I remembered there was not hair left to tug at to wake him.

Prodding him on the shoulder, however, worked fine.

Groaning, his eyes fluttered open before he remembered:

"Christmas!" He called giddily, scrambling over me and falling off the bed before managing to find his footing and run for the stairs. Giggling, I stood from the bed too, following him up.

There, in a small piles on the sofa, were neatly wrapped presents. Three larger piles and another slightly smaller one.

"Yours," Announced Gerard, pointing at a pile of pastel purple wrapping paper before starting on his own black-clad presents. Next to his pile was Alicia's, who was sat happily watching Mikey prod and poke at his presents in the next pile along. I smiled at the strange sight of Alicia sat in-between Gerard and Mikey. Alicia was the only one fully dressed (Not that I blamed her) and it was always difficult to persuade Gerard to place any extra item of clothing on before ten in the morning.

I had no idea what Mikey was like. I made a mental note to ask Alicia.

There was clattering from the kitchen, telling me that Donna was also up, whilst the coughing told me Donald was up too.

I smiled wanly.

My hand came up to my stomach before I'd managed to stop myself. I sighed before whispering to myself:

"Merry Christmas,"
Sign up to rate and review this story