Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > The Downward Spiral

ONE-SHOT: I HAVE A VOICE

by 854439 0 reviews

I wondered how long it'd take you to wonder about that glossy interveiw...

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Romance - Characters: Gerard Way - Published: 2007-04-24 - Updated: 2007-04-24 - 1559 words

0Unrated
/My Chemical Romance// front man Gerard Way and girlfriend speak to us about life...death.../

Why would we want to be nosey?



UPON first arrival, you come prepared for some half-witted blonde with a skirt you could easily double over and use as a belt. But I was greeted with the exact opposite. I knock on the door and hear a feminine voice call 'come in'. So I do just that. I take a moment to study the source of the feminine voice before closing the door. A woman with brown hair to just below her shoulder blades, dull green eyes and looking about ready to keel over waves happily over at me from a sofa in the hotel room. The hotel room, I should expect, is not much important to you, so I shall skip any descriptions of it...

GERARD, she says, is lurking around the kitchen somewhere, brewing the 'elixir of life'. I laugh, assuming she means coffee. She gestures nervously to a seat in front of the sofa she's perched on. I smile and take my seat, smelling the coffee before Gerard actually steps past me.

HE takes a seat next to her and smiles at me, outstretching his hand and greeting me warmly, making it clear he remembers me from the last time we met before introducing the woman.

"This," He tells me. Proudly, might I add? "Is Sam," She nods and waves at me, giving me a quick 'hi'. "So, ask away,"

It takes a lot to suppress the evil cackles that want to escape from my throat.



/What are you planning to do now you've finished touring?/

/ //Gerard: /Umm...not a lot. Possibly work on a few lyrics or something.



/So, no major breaks? Or a holiday?/

/ //Gerard: /None planned, nope. I always feel like everything'll fall apart if I take a break,



/.../

/ //Gerard: /Well...

Sam: If you count sitting in his parent's back yard a holiday then, yeah, he's getting a holiday.



I can already tell I'm going to like this girl.



/Ha. So, you're accustomed to that kind of routine, then?/

/ //Sam: /Yeah. It has a very basic principal - let other's work for you where possible.

Gerard: Does not!

Sam: /It so does. You could do your own make-up but you're just too damn lazy to do it yourself so /I have to do it!



/Ah, yes, you do indeed work for them. What's that like?/

/ //Sam: /In general or...?



/Just in general I suppose./

/ //Sam: /Strange. Extremely...strange. Not exactly the glamorous job you'd ever imagine it being. I mean, you stink 24/7 when you're on tour. Your nose actually develops its own immune system!



/And when you're dating one of them...?/

/ //Sam: /Still strange. Umm...annoying at times. There's just no way to put space between yourselves. And arguments are hell. No matter what kind of argument it is, everyone gets sucked in and, eventually, I always end up arguing with him! I win, of course, every time.



I took a moment to observe Gerard roll his eyes but smile none-the-less.



So...now we have both of you...how did you meet?

/ //Sam: /Ask him, he has the better memory.

Gerard: Thanks. A lot. Umm...in a...well...It's confusing, really. Umm...we met in a comic book store she was working in, but she never actually knew it was me she was serving. Much to my joy. But we didn't actually speak until she was working in this record store. We were down a make-up artist and she had good make-up so...

Sam: [Eyeing Gerard] c'mon, there's got to more to it than that. It's always bugged me, that, y'know...just picking me up out of a record store.

Gerard: [Taking a moment in which he stares wide-eyed at the floor] I...maybe...expressed a liking for you to the guys on several occasions...



Sam laughs, relaxing slightly. It's true that they seem perfectly content together. Though at times it seems like a really bad romantic movie, where they look at each other and the edges blur away into a heart shape, it seems like a perfectly tolerable bad romantic movie.



/Love at first sight?/

/ /Gerard: Maybe not FIRST sight...maybe more like third or fourth sight.

/ /

/ Are both of you actually okay with people asking questions?/

/ //Gerard: /I'm all right with it. But I'm quite used to being interviewed and stuff so...ask Sam, really.

/ Sam: /Thanks. Umm...I can't say I'm ever going to be completely okay with it. I mean, it's my personal life, its not nice having people pry into it, no one would like that happening to them. But...right towards the beginning of the relationship I did establish that Gerard plus Personal Life equals zilch, so...I was prepared in some ways. That and, after everything that's gone on recently, it's just so much easier to come out and tell people what's happened that it kind of stopped bothering me after a while.



Stopped/ bothering/ you?

/Sam: /Yeah, umm...[giggles]...I'm joined to websites left right and centre. One, Quizilla, it came out early on that Gerard's girlfriend was joined to the site. The Journal's they have were the key to my unmasking. Damn them. Uhh...yeah, so someone found out what my username is. I log on and there's ten messages that ask me the same thing: 'Is it true that you're Gerard's girlfriend?'. Either that or someone wants me to ask one of the guys something. I feel so unwanted sometimes, everyone wants to talk to everyone else - but not me.

/ /So, yeah, There was a lot of personal life prying going on there and I got used to it.



/So when did you first...?/

/ //Sam: /Cheeky bastard.

/ Gerard: /Play nice.


/ Sam: /I am, I could have said a lot worse.



Well...?

/ //Sam: /Persistent cheeky Bastard.

/ Gerard: /I'll ignore that. Anyway, yes, first...I'll let Sam take this one...

Sam: You'll pay for this one. Anyway, yes! Umm...a long time ago. [Laughs] Uhh...so long ago Gerard had long hair and he was still rather round at the middle.

/ Gerard: /Hey!

Sam: /It's true! Anyway, it was while we were on tour and everyone else was playing kickball, if I remember rightly. I was quite happy sat watching Gerard draw but, umm...there had been some...well, some worries before that about us. [Gerard nods vaguely in agreement] Everyone else was a bit worried about Gerard actually having a girlfriend, let alone it being me. Didn't blame them, this was during his 'I must be drunk' era. Even in the comparatively short time I lived with it, I learnt to keep a /very close eye on everything he did. He was like a child: take your eyes off them for a moment and they run amok. Well, after all this questioning we went through, with everyone trying to figure out if anything was going on between us, we're both sat in the tour bus and we manage to establish we've both been asked the same thing.

Gerard: But gave different answers.

Sam: Yep. From there a kind of 'fuck it' attitude settled over us. So...What I forgot to think about before I went for it, though, was how much more time I'd be spending with Bert (McCracken, The Used)...and that I'd actually have to meet his parents if it got serious...



/What was meeting the parents like, then?/

/ //Sam: /Interesting

Gerard: Boring

Sam: Mind numbingly boring

Gerard: Fun...

Sam: [Eyeing the grinning Gerard] Excuse me?

Gerard: Huh?

Sam: I said: excuse...me.

Gerard: [Grinning] What? It was fun...



I watch with barely concealed amusement as Sam seems to be biting her tongue off in a bid to not say anything. Only the incompetent would not understand what's being insinuated.



/Sam: /Next question before Gerard goes home missing a few vital parts...



/Ha. You sound like you get along well?/

/ //Sam: /Oh, we do when we're not in the same room.

Gerard: Ha. No, that's you and Bert.

Sam: Ah, very true.



I had long ago given up on my original line of questioning - when left to their own devices they can carry out conversations that leave little to the imagination at times.

However, all good things must come to an end, and I was forced to ask my last question before I became too engrossed in their conversations.



/So, think we can be seeing anymore of you Sam?/

/ //Sam: /I should think so, yes.

Gerard: What about me?

Sam: No one cares about you, just shut up.

Gerard: Pfft. No one'd care about you if it weren't for me.

Sam: We'll carry this on later. First, I believe that was her last question...

Gerard: Fine...



So, after an hour having a rather one-sided conversation with them, I can safely tell you that the 'big, evil, snobby, blonde, anorexic bimbo' everyone seemed to have visions of does not exist. She's a woman who knows what she wants, a woman that has endured things that can scar people for life. A woman that has prevailed through everything so far. Though events have left their mark on her, she is carrying on, though seemingly on guard for the next problem.

Most of all, she is happy.

Perhaps more importantly for some of you, so is Gerard.

Basically: Everyone's happy. Panic over.
Sign up to rate and review this story