Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > The Downward Spiral

Chapter Twenty Seven

by 854439 0 reviews

Chapter Twenty Seven

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Characters: Gerard Way - Published: 2007-02-06 - Updated: 2007-02-06 - 1675 words

0Unrated
I woke wrapped up in bandages.

There was talking from behind a door, and someone was crying. Someone next to me.

With difficulty, I moved my head to my right, away from the door. There, sat staring out of the window, was Mikey. Looking around as quickly as I could, I found he was the only other person in the room and that I was in my own hospital room.

I looked back at Mikey and attempted to speak, but didn't even manage a whisper. I tried again, but failed miserably.

My hands were wrapped up and there was no way I was moving in any great haste. I gave in.

I just watched him, staring out of the window. Every so often he sniffed before chocking back a sob.

It was making me cry.

The door opened, but he didn't look around. Slowly, I turned my own head to look.

"Ah, you're awake," Smiled the nurse. I moved my head in a shadow of a nod. I looked back over to Mikey, who was still staring out of the window. He was no longer crying, but was just sat there.

He turned in his seat, eyes landing on me.

I smiled as best I could, mouth forming the words 'hi'.

He smiled and laughed slightly before hastily pulling his chair up to the bed. He wiped his eyes furiously, smiling like a madman.

"Good news," Said the nurse, attracting my attention. "Won't be long before you can leave. If we get your throat moving, which means drinking, you should be able to talk properly and last time we checked, your burns were healing nicely. I'd say you've only got a week or two in here before it'll be safe for you to sign yourself out," I nodded as best I could before looking back at Mikey.

I just lay and stared, smiling to whatever extent I could before a plastic cup of water was handed to Mikey. The nurse lifted the light sheet away from my body before starting to unwrap the bandages.

The cool water was welcomed as Mikey helped me sip from the cup.

------------------------

It was several hours before anyone else entered the room. I had drunk plenty and was indeed capable of forming understandable whispers.

The door was flung opened and what sounded like a stampede forced its way in. Really, it was only four people, but I am quite sure they fell in.

In a flash there were four more faces above me, all smiling. One, at the back, more than the others.

There was s silent moment before the four were attached to me.
It no longer hurt to be touched, I was glad to realise.

----------------------

It wasn't long before people were surrounding me. It was a wonder they could fit in the room, let alone around the bed.
I was marvelling at how everyone had seated themselves - Gerard and Bert were at the head end of the bed, followed by Mikey and Ray. Then Donna and Donald, Frank and Quinn, then, finally, Brandan and Jeph.

"How long have I been out?" I asked quietly.

"A while," Answered Bert, his head next to mine on the pillow.

"Nearing a week," Said Mikey. His face was still blotchy and red as he kept on coming close to crying. I smiled and nodded.

There was a moment's silence.

"Right, kiddies," Began Donna, standing up. "I think it's time we gave Mikey and Gerard some time with Sam," Bert groaned from next to me and flung his arm over my neck, holding tight to the bed sheets. "No exceptions," Scolded Donna, frowning down at him. He pouted and sniffed, grabbing the sheets tighter. I smiled at him, perhaps for the first time happy with him not wanting to leave. I looked over at Gerard, who nodded briefly.

"It's alright," I whispered, looking up at Donna. "He can stay," She eyed me before glancing at Gerard, but nodded and left anyway.

I looked at Bert, beaming at me. I smiled before looking back at Gerard.

"So tell me, what went off? I want to know it all, from when I got off the phone with Frank to now," That alone set Mikey off. Bert stood from his seat and padded over to Mikey, prompting him to stand before steering him to his seat.

"Here, man, you need the pillow more than I do," Almost obediently, Mikey sat down and put his head on the pillow next to me. I watched Bert sit where Mikey had been before looking back at Gerard.

"So?" He took a deep breath.

"When you hung up, Ray took me for a walk," He smiled at me. "Thank you for that, by the way. Well, he did indeed let me ramble on for a good hour. I talked myself around to coming home. Ray did nothing, it was all me. I realised there was not a chance in hell you were staying at my parents and that you'd most definitely be going back to the apartment.

"I ran back to the bus and told everyone we were coming back. Very mixed reactions to that, but we headed back anyway. Spent the whole ride back pacing around, trying to figure out what I was going to do. Trying to figure out whether I'd be angry enough with you to shout when I got back.

"We were just entering New Jersey when I phoned mom and asked about you - which was when you took off," I nodded, remembering. "We went home before heading to Jacquelyn's, mom cut the phone off as soon as you took off so...

"Left everyone else with her and we came after you. When we got there, we could hear screaming from the fourth floor," He swallowed as a tear fell down his cheek. "It was you, calling for me," He sniffed. "We had to practically break down the main door to get inside, but we made it," He laughed bitterly. "Y'know, I've never seen Mikey go up stairs so quickly," I moved my bandaged arm up the bed slightly, stopping when my hand reached the one Mikey was lying on the bed. He moved his hand atop mine, squeezing gently. "We hammered on the door and Jacquelyn started screaming. Some of the next door neighbours were out in the hallway, and that was what held us up getting in," He stopped, sniffing loudly. Bert slid his chair closer to him, rubbing his back.

"You started screaming again," Began Mikey and I turned to look at him. "It was when we heard the 'just open the door' that Gerard threw himself into the door. Certainly opened it," He smiled for a moment before carrying on. "Mary took one look at us and smiled before that Nathan bombed into us," Mikey stopped to sniff as well before chocking back a sob.

"It was an accident," Began Bert. I frowned and looked at him. "They've told me it was an accident. In the scuffle to keep Mary away from Gerard and Nathan off Mikey...Nathan slipped and fell. His head hit the coat pegs," I nodded.

"After that we all came after you, we let Jacquelyn out on the way," Continued Gerard. "You were just..." He trailed off.
"I remember that bit, don't worry," I told him hoarsely. He nodded almost gratefully.

"After they put you in the ambulance and we were next to you, Mikey went to pieces. Can't say I was far from it. Everyone was waiting for us at the hospital, I'd phoned on the way out of the apartment block. Once they'd taken you off for treatment, Frank had his own moment on the floor too. We were lead off to the family waiting area. We've never been that quiet, I can tell you now,"

"Everyone pretty much picked a partner and had their own breakdown together," Interrupted Mikey. "Gerard was the only one who sat not talking to anyone," He smiled. "Can't say I blame him. He had his own moment too. Went off to the toilet. Thought no-one knew, but I followed," Mikey didn't look at anyone, but chose to look at my feet. "Was in there for half an hour. I should think the slower of us thought he was constipated," I laughed dryly. "Finally they told us we could go in and see you, but that you weren't awake and they weren't anticipating you waking up for some time. We had Bob ring Bert and tell him that something had gone off, and to see if they could make it down. We waited for them before telling everyone what happened.

"We couldn't make it through all at once. After we finished, we told Bert here what we hadn't told anyone else. Or, at least, hadn't managed to say," I nodded.

"When are we allowed to know what happened?" Asked Bert. Neither Mikey nor Gerard told him off for being too blunt - I should think they wanted to know too.

"You can know now if you like..."

----------------------

I told them what had happened, with several stops for water, and told Bert it was his turn to tell someone what had happened from beginning to end. All he did was smile and nod, standing and leaving.

"I can't help but wonder..." Began Gerard, bending forward in his seat. "What would have happened if we HADN'T come back...?" I sighed, not knowing whether this would be good or bad.

He didn't follow up with what he did indeed wonder, to my sheer happiness.

After a few moments of silence, I became aware of the nasal breathing from beside me. Turning my head, I giggled as I realised Mikey was fast off.

---------------------

For the weeks until it was deemed safe for me to check myself out, I was constantly surrounded by people. There was not a moment that I was aware of (When I was asleep was a different matter) when I was alone.

I was all too happy to be out of the hospital.
Sign up to rate and review this story