Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > The Downward Spiral

Chapter Eighteen

by 854439 0 reviews

Chapter Eighteen

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Characters: Gerard Way - Published: 2007-01-20 - Updated: 2007-01-20 - 1721 words

0Unrated
Bert kept his distance.

It made me think about what had gone on while they were 'out', or rather - just before. For the first night in a long time, I didn't wake up to two black masses; One under me, one curled up at my feet. Instead, it was only one sleeping happily beneath me.

Yawning, I gingerly moved myself off of Gerard, trying hard not to wake him.

Finally, I could stand and stretch.

I stifled a curse as the bus, that I now noticed was moving, lurched to one side. I steadied myself on the wall as I made my way out to the front of the bus.

There, sleeping restlessly, was the other black mass.

Frowning, I set around collecting bowls and cereal for when everyone decided to wake up before attempting to wake Bert. Though restless, he was refusing to wake up. I rolled my eyes before slapping him around the head.

I covered his mouth in time to stop him from screaming.

"uh u u unt?" His question was muffled by my hand, so I removed it and plonked myself on the floor next to him. "What do you want?" He asked groggily.

"What happened last night?" The colour drained form his already pallid face.

"Nothing,"

"Bert-"

"Honestly, nothing," He sat up; swinging his legs over the side of the sofa and rubbing his face. Sighing, mumbling to myself, I lifted myself beside him on the sofa

"Bert I-"

"I said nothing, alright?" He hissed.

"Bert!" I snapped, struggling to keep my voice low so as not to wake anyone. "I want to know what happened. Something obviously happened. I'm not dumb!" Bert eyed me from the corner of his eye. "Oh my- Fine, slightly dumb, but your IQ will drop a few points if you don't tell me now!" He sighed.

"Fine. Everyone was nagging him about what happened between you two and he snapped. Plain and simple," My brows furrowed.

"So how badly did he snap?" Bert ran a hand down his face.

"Okay, It wasn't that that was the problem. After we persuaded him to come back here and try to talk to you we ran into...'fan troubles'," I didn't push him, possibly knowing him well enough to know that he didn't like silence and would probably carry on to fill it. "Y'know how every band has their 'posers'," I nodded, murmuring my approval. "Well, these were something along those lines. That strange in between. Where they've stopped liking the bad for the looks for the most part, yet they still like the music but haven't found the deeper meaning to it yet,"

"Uh huh," I nodded, just managing to understand.

"Well, whether they meant to or not, they kinda put a downer on the night. Needless to say they were smashed," I waited again, trying to figure everything out. "I'm sure they didn't mean to, and they'll probably regret it when they wake up...if they didn't get too drunk," He took a deep breath. "They kind of..." He shifted uncomfortably. "Confessed their undying love for both bands then...continued to verbally abuse..." He stopped short before shaking his head, smiling wanly.

"Verbally abuse you or your girlfriends?" I asked.

"Girlfriends, mainly," He sighed. "They were drunk, that's for sure. And, of course, everyone got protective right there and then. So they got an earful from one of us..." He thought a moment. "Can't remember who, before they pissed off. I got kind of drunk after that, so don't even bother thinking about asking me what we did after that - all I remember was it being no fun at all," I smiled slightly, standing up and heading for the sink.

I don't even remember thinking of what I was doing, I just ran him a glass of water and fetched the aspirin before sitting back next to him, forcing them into his hands.

He smiled slightly.

"You've done this before," Was the last thing he said before taking two little white pills with water. I shrugged.

"I've been looking after Gerard for a while, I got used to waking up and handing him water and aspirin," Setting the empty glass on the floor, along with the aspirin container, Bert leaned back, nodding slightly.

"Yeah, the guys say they got used to waking up and sorting me out," There was silence, but unsurprisingly it didn't last long. "I am happy for him, y'know, getting himself sober," I took a deep breath.

"I am too but..." I took a moment to choose my words. "Sometimes I worry. I'm sure he wouldn't, he's so determined to carry this through, but sometimes I just worry,"

"Like?" Asked Bert, turning to face me. I was suddenly struck with the memory of first being asked if there was anything between me and Gerard. Girl talk. Maybe Mikey was right; Being around men all the time did...'turn them' slightly.

I smiled slightly before answering, turning to face Bert myself.

"Like when he's out at gigs. I don't always go - it depends on the venue and shit like that - so the times I stay here in the bus I worry slightly. I know everyone else'll be drinking, I know if there are other bands there - they'll be drinking, and I just worry maybe it's too much temptation. The time we went shopping-" I paused to smile at the look that crossed Bert's eyes - the one that told me he remembered it perfectly, albeit a probably slightly warped version. "-One of my first worries, one of the reasons I stopped you two from running off - how ever I managed that, even I don't know - was that he'd go skipping off to the alcohol. I knew you'd get there at some point, but I was worried about him," I sighed. "But he's doing fine, so I suppose I don't worry quite as much as I did then," There was a moments silence, during which there was only a dull hum and Bob rolling over in bed to break it.

Since, I have realised how accustomed I must have been to the general noise they produced to know who it was turning in their sleep without looking. And, of course, how sad that was.

"When are we going shopping again?" Asked Bert. I giggled, pushing his shoulder. "Hey! Meanie!" I giggled harder, trying hard not to laugh aloud and wake everyone. I grabbed the back of the sofa as Bert pushed me back.

--------------------------------

Apparently forgetting any downtrodden mood from the evening before, and any kind of hangover he might have had, what quickly escalated into a pushing match also became a full on war.

Every so often the bus would lurch one way or another, causing our volumes - carefully kept to a minimum - to shoot up momentarily and for us to stop while one, maybe two rolled in their sleep before going back to whatever point we were at.

By the time anyone woke up, we were spork fighting atop Gerard.

It sounds nigh on impossible to do so, but we managed it; sat gross legged at his feet, bent almost double, heads crushed against the ceiling.

"What are two doing on my legs?" I could barely tell that was what was asked through Gerard's mouthful of pillow.

"Spork fighting," I answered matter-of-factly.

"What does it look like?" Continued Bert before jabbing at my spork with his.

"God, tell me I'm still dreaming," Mumbled Mikey as he opened the curtains to his bunk to see Bert and me. I smiled. "It's either that or I woke up in some strange alternate reality,"

"Unfortunately, it's the alternate strange reality,"

"I was afraid you'd say that,"

"Can you get off me please?" Asked Gerard, finally lifting his head from the pillow.

"I'd say someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed, but you're not even out yet and there's only one possible side you COULD get out of," Snapped Bert playfully before we both preceded to carefully get out of the bunk; sporks still poised and ready to attack.

By the time the spork fight had ended, it was more of a spork war. Which included my:

"-Untimely demise! Oh, cruel spork which hath turndst against me!" Finally, I uttered my dying croak before; much to I should think everyone's relief, dying spread out over Gerard's lap - where I had landed after Bert's finishing blow with my own spork.

Don't even ask me how it got that elaborate.

I heard Bert taking his victory lap of the bus (And then another. And another. And another. And a-) while I lay staring up, pretending to be dead.

"YOU KILLED MY GIRLFRIEND!" Exclaimed Gerard as Bert ran past.

"I know I did!" Shouted Bert proudly as he ran past in the opposite direction. Gerard's face came into view as he looked down at me.

"Oh, fair maiden, why was't thou life snatched so brutally away from thine loving heart? And so presently? Is there naught I couldst do to stir her from death's eternal slumber of peace?" Wow. Best Shakespeare made up on the spot I'd ever heard, no wonder I can remember it.

"Snog her!" Bert kindly suggested as he ran past again.

Instantly, I heard everyone else either turn away or head to their respective bunks.

"Indeed, a kiss! A sign of my undying love for one so beautiful! Might'st it tell again the very last of her living soul of what it leaves behind? There is but only one way to be definite," With little effort, Gerard lifted me into a cradle position; one arm around my shoulders and the other beneath my thighs.

Slowly, whether to spite me for deciding to die on him or to annoy everyone else I don't know, he brought his lips to mine. Being dead, I couldn't do anything but lie there.

But, come on, given half a chance, would YOU just lie there?

Slowly, aware Bert - though still taking his lap(s) of honour - was slowing down considerably when passing us, I curled my arms around his neck, pulling him closer.

Finally, when Bert was slow walking past us and sprinting the rest, he pulled away from me.

"Be grateful to thy lord, thine beauty doth awaken"

I was always a drama queen.
Sign up to rate and review this story