Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Black Ascension

Black History

by Omni_Black 3 reviews

The Black Vault and some family history

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Harry, Sirius, Other - Warnings: [!!!] [?] - Published: 2006-07-10 - Updated: 2006-07-10 - 6879 words

5Original
Chapter 4 was dedicated to Uld Ases, my first review, and to rlmess.
Alright, I own nothing, no money, etc. Read, review, enjoy.


Chapter 5: Black History


"Grimtongue"
"Parseltongue"
'Thoughts'
books/ letters/ emphasis

The vault was massive. Easily the size of the Great Hall at Hogwarts. The Canis Minor, Major, and Orion constellations dotted the ceiling, creating a night sky while the vault was fully lit. Black marble lined the floor, laid with such care and skill that it looked as if it was cut from a single carved piece of marble. Most of the walls were lined with vast filling cabinets, which upon closer inspection, Seraph was able to see them clearly marked.

'Diamond, Ruby, Onyx, Amethyst, Emerald, Sapphire,' he read in his mind. lustrous to dull, cut and uncut, ores and minerals of every kind in existence apparently. It was all there. To the side close to the entrance there were three especially large cabinets marked 'Galleons, Sickles, and Knuts' near the handle.

Towards the middle of the vault was what could only be described as the most luxuries sitting space Seraph had ever seen. Softened Dragon hide leather recliners and sofas, upholstered with what looked like pure silver. All sitting on extremely plush silvery-grey carpet that appeared to be Demiguise hair. In the center of the sitting area stood a simple wood podium, on which sat a large, ancient leather bound book with peeling silver letters reading 'Reference'.

Past the Sitting area was what looked like a vast library, two stories high, sectioned off by subject, difficulty, and age. Most of these tomes must have been several hundred years old, but they looked brand new, down to the oil on the spines. Further back was a door guarded by a Grim effigy, looking menacing as ever, but slightly playful at the sight of an Heir, most likely protecting the ritual texts from anyone but the Head of the family.

Opposite the library was what resembled a jewelry store. Silver cases covered with glass held a multitude of items, mostly feminine in nature, ranging from broaches to rings to pins and necklaces. Each had a name of who created it, why, who it was for and what it did, even if it had nothing more than a permanent luster enchantment on it. Ancient, modern and everything in between was included.

Next to the jewelry, in a small grotto that reminded Seraph of a blacksmiths' workshop with a blazing hearth in the center of it, giving a fiery glow to all of the surrounding weapons and armor. Like the jewelry, you could find every shape and size of weapon, in any grade and step of completion. Seraph felt a pull for a moment, then another, but he ignored them for the moment, choosing instead to look at another corner of the vault.

A myriad of items laid in this corner, in boxes, on boxes, on top or in trunks, some just floating, apparently by their own power. Furniture was strewn here and there with beautifully crafted trunks out of what else? Black and silver. 'I may have to see what I can find here. This will save me some time in Diagon Alley if I can find readily available items here.' Seraph thought. Above the items, on the wall were several sleeping portraits and one empty one. He did not want to wake any of them, incase they took to strangers as well as Mrs. Black, his grandmother, he now realized, had.

"Sirs, I will need to deactivate the senior Black in a moment, I will be back with the proper materials shortly." Snipemere informed them and presently left.

"Okay pop's, what's going on? What is the Grims Guild, how did they create Grims, and why was the 'Father of the First Black', not a Black? Seraph asked his father.

"They told you a bit, didn't they? Okay, let's start with the question you were asking me in the office. The old families have certain traits, skills, and powers affiliated to them. While other people may learn and develop these skills, and some can even be born with a power certain families are known to have, they will never have the same level of the power or be as good in the skill as the one who was born from a line who created them.

The Potters are extremely strong in defensive type magic. No one is able to compare to the wards that a Potter can build. In fact, most defensive wards in existence were created by a Potter at one time or another. The Fidelius Charm was one of their greatest accomplishment, and as we have seen, their greatest downfall as well. Potters are usually the epitome of Gryffindors, who else, besides Hufflepuffs would build a ward hinging on trust? The Potters are rumored to have been given their skills by Gryffindor himself before he passed away without an heir. When I said the epitome of Gryffindors, I meant it. A Potter would never do something that would harm somebody if they could not avoid it, though they were always ready to defend the honor of somebody, even someone they did not know. Too noble I suppose. It is said that a Potter would lose his life before hitting an opponent from behind. And several did. There have been a few black cats among the lions though. The Potters hushed it up a few hundred years back though. I only know because James told me. They got along well with just about everyone, except those from Slytherin, or any one ever seen associating with something they termed 'Dark'. They were like the Weasley's in that respect.

The Blacks, while just as ancient as the name suggests, do not come from as Noble a background then they would like others to believe. The first Black was actually the child of a Guild, not a family. The Guild would today be considered a type of Mafia. The 'Grims Guild', of what you have probably heard, were a Thieves and Assassins Guild, dedicated to their jobs unlike anybody had seen before, and business was good during the Middle Ages. When the Guild's Master decided he needed an heir, he gathered his most trusted and powerful associates together. He told them that he would create a ritual that would give his heir all of the group's skills and powers and lock them within the blood so all descendants would receive some form of the original skills. In return, he would give their heirs certain abilities that would pass down through their blood in the same way his heir's would. This would create a true master of the craft. When their heirs were born, they performed the rituals perfectly, and with these new magics, they were given new names to cement the act.

The children were not to be given names until displaying a trait inherited by the ritual. The names of all of the families were never written down, in order to protect them, as this type of magic was considered a terrible act, and if too many found out of this ritual, the children would have been hunted down and destroyed. The child of Knox was given the name 'Black' for his ability to blend into the shadows, as well as his raven colored hair which seemed to suck in surrounding light. The name 'Meissa' for his shining silver eyes. 'Orion' was given as the constellation under which he was born. Meissa Orion Black, The Black Star of Orion. Many Blacks are given Orion as a middle name in remembrance of the first true Black.

Usually after the 16th birthday you are made to perform a ritual that shows you what skills and powers you have inherited so that you can train them. I was unable to do this as after my Choice, I left the house and got blasted off the family tapestry for my troubles. I never went back. Only the Blacks, as far as I know, have the ritual. More families may have a copy of the artifact, or something similar, but we don't ask, they don't tell. It is actually one of the only rituals that can be accessed by any Black, as it is not guarded by old Sentinel there." Sirius finished his history lesson, looking towards the Grim gargoyle.

"And the creation of the Grims?"

"Oh yeah. The actual Grims were created as protectors by the Guild for Meissa Black and later for reconnaissance when he was older. They are thought to be mythical creatures in the magical world because they will only obey a true Grimtongue, even if a Black speaks to them. My Grandfather Phineas' portrait once told me that some puppies were kept in a time binding enchantment after they were born to be companions for other Grimtongues. As far as I know, the knowledge of how they were created was lost several centuries ago.

"So the Potters created the Fidelius Charm, which killed James and my mum because of that traitor Wormtail, and the Blacks were originally head of an assassin's guild in the Middle Ages? Who used some highly taboo rituals to create new family lines? And somehow made Grims as companions and protectors for Grimtongues? Is that right?" Seraph asked, still absorbing the information.

"Yep, pup. In a nutshell. That Snippy or Snipesmere Goblin is back. I'll talk to you after you reactivate me. See ya."
Sirius said as the Goblin began chanting. The silvery mass that was Sirius began to turn into mist again. It turned into a swirling vortex for a moment, before being split in two. One mist was sucked into a portrait which was then shrunken to look like a thick 8' x '10 photograph and frame, the other sunk back into the flashlight like projector, to be used for the public will reading. Seraph picked up the frame and carried it with him to the 'Reference'.

"Okay, lets see what you do." Seraph said aloud as he opened the book. It was blank. "Come on...lets try this... What do you do?" he asked the book, not really expecting the book to answer him.

I am the Reference book for the Black Vault. You can easily search for items based on attributes, type, etc. You can also place any item onto the blank page and I can identify it for you.

The book told him. 'Creepy, like Riddle's diary, only I can talk to it. This will make looking for something much easier. I wonder how they came up with this. "Okay, I need a trunk." Suddenly a list showed up on the blank page. Sorcerer's Trunks, Travel Trunks, Prison Trunks, Storage Trunks, Shrinking, exploding, custom, fake, you name it, they had a trunk for it. 'Lets see what custom trunks are.'

"Custom Trunks" he commanded. Another list appeared, but only one trunk was shown, simply called 'Custom Trunk'. 'Okay, more specific, ah I know...'

"Show Information".

Black Custom Trunk. Created shortly after the founding of the Family, this trunk can only be used by a speaker of true Grimtongue. Black Iron wood with Silver finishing, this trunk can have as many storage spaces as needed, barring it does not surpass the usable amount of space. At one compartment the space is 100x larger then a regular compartment. Every compartment after will either be half of that space, or a specified size. Currently a nine compartment trunk. Including four regular size compartments, a library, potions lab, bedroom, and study with a ritual chamber. Shrinkable, light weight. Can be turned into a ring if desired. Simply command it so. New user should allow three drops of blood to set on the star in ring form. This will confirm new ownership and ensure that it is not stolen. Cannot be used by anyone but the current owner unless specified.

"Well that could be useful. Now how do I get it?" His question was answered a moment later by the arrival of said trunk materializing in ring form in front of him. If you did not know it was made of wood, you would think that it was some blackened metal. The grain of the wood was seen as the silver accents with a silver star fitted on top. 'Lets see here, ah. That will work.' He thought as he nipped his finger on the edge of the star. Letting three drops hit the star in succession, it glowed misty for a moment before forming to fit his finger. Taking it off, he sat it on the ground.

"Trunk." He commanded. The ring began to spin rapidly as parts started to enlarge. 'Reminds me of that cartoon character Dudley used to watch. Taz...something or other...' When it stopped spinning, an exquisitely crafted trunk. Black, slightly oily looking Iron wood was furnished with silver fastenings. On top was the Orion constellation with the Meissa star particularly large. Surrounding the star were roman numerals up to IX. Turning the notched star end toward the I, he opened the first compartment. Nothing was in there. Nor the second or third compartments. The fourth compartment held a 8' x 10' picture and frame he now recognized as a deactivated portrait.

The man looked to be close to Dumbledore's age with dark grey hair that must have been black as night during his younger years with a slightly Asian look about him, not what he was expecting from a family who's ancestry occurred in England. The most distinguishing feature, however, was the man's shining silver eyes. Even deactivated, they seemed to pulse with knowledge and power. He placed the portrait of his father next to this man and decided that he would find out who it was when ever he could.

The ritual chamber was a sinister looking stone room with runes scattered about and a pentagram in the dead center. The potions lab was well lit and clean, though it lacked many modern potions ingredients. The library, while huge, did not seem to have enough books to fill it. The bedroom and study, however, were as luxurious as the sitting room in the center of the Vault. Leaving, he commanded the trunk back into a ring.

"That is beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. No one would ever think this as a trunk. It can't be taken by anyone but me, and only a true Grimtongue can use it at all. Awesome. Looks like I won't have to go to a trunk store, though I will be checking out the books here and at some bookstores. An apothecary too." He said to himself as he started looking around, heading towards the jewelry. Passing some of the items, he realized that not all of them were jewelry. 'These must be the artifacts Dad was talking about. Lets see... Black Stone of ability... that's what I need. He said that it was used after their 16th birthday, once they received their abilities. But I already have some unlocked, might as well try it.'

Picking up the round ball of onyx with veins of white marble, he noticed how light it was compared to how it looked. 'Okay, now what?' he thought after a moment. Just as he was about to put the black orb down, it stuck to his hand. Seraph felt a sting like a needle, and then blood being drawn from his palm. The orb glowed and heated up as the white marble veins turned blood red. Once it stopped glowing and turned cool once more, a piece of parchment appeared in the air within arms reach.

"That was interesting, lets see what we have here..."

Name: Seraph Orion Black
Familial Nomen: Black Angel of Orion
Right of Choice: Pending

Abilities

Aura Reading/Scanning
Statue: Unlocked
Description: Aura reading or scanning is the ability to see others power levels and emotions. Colors vary from person to person, but most stay to their family colors, though no one is quite sure why or how this happens. Auras are measured in their power by the depth or richness of color and how many different colored strands they possess. For example, a wizard or witch with a deep colored aura with multi-colored strands would be magically weaker than someone with a light aura and solid, one color strands. Emotions are seen as an outline of the aura. Every scanner sees emotion differently, so it is difficult to generalize what a color signifies. But most agree that red is seen as angry or passionate, variants of yellow indicate sickness or nervousness, and a murky green indicates maliciousness or general ill will. All scanners are slightly empathic, so try to associate what feeling you get from someone to what the color is. Advanced uses can manipulate the gift to show a light above the auras of others to show power in relation to their own, darker being more powerful, lighter being less powerful. This is useful in a dual when studying an aura is a distraction.

Mind of Understanding
Status: Unlocked
Description: The Mind of Understanding is an ability that allows for quick comprehension and easy learning. Allows one to think clearly and objectively. Rowena Ravenclaw is said to have been the most gifted with this ability than anyone in history.

Focus/Assassins Mind
Status: Unlocked, currently inactivated
Description: Focus, or the Assassins Mind, is the ability of awareness and speed in a threatening situation. Those who have the ability describe it as the world slowing down, their movements precise and deadly, and their minds clear and cold. Once trained, a master can use this at anytime for an advantage in many situations.

Shift-


"Sir." Snipemere interrupted. "Sir, I would remind you of any previous engagements you might have." The Goblin offered hesitantly. 'More like hurry up; I've got better things to do' Seraph thought.

"What time is it at the moment?" Seraph asked pleasantly.

"It is of this moment, 12:54 and 31, no 32 seconds." The Goblin informed him, not looking at any device or apparatus. 'Must learn to do that.' Seraph thought to himself.

"Then I have no previous engagements." He told Snipemere, with the same lopsided, slightly feral grin that the Family ring had shown. 'I'll look at these later. I do have other things to do today.' Seraph thought as he headed over to the sitting area to pick up the reference book, which was surprisingly light. He sat the book down near the armory.

"Weapons" he pronounced to the book.

Black family weapons transcend centuries and many forms from across the world. Walk past the weapons and pick up any that you feel a pull towards. These are the weapons most suited to you. Place them on the blank page to identify them.

"That was fairly straight forward. I like this book."

Walking the same route that he had before, he felt the tug he had experienced the first time past. Looking up, he saw a long, blackened metal blade with a slight silver sharpened curve from the hilt to the tip. The handle had cloth covered grips in a cross lattice pattern. On one side of the blade was engraved a grim like dog, and the other held burning silver runes. You could almost feel the archaic aura of the weapon. When Seraph picked it up, and on impulse, slit his palm and covered the silver runes. The runes absorbed the blood and a black ethereal flame surrounded him. It burned for a moment, and then settled to move across his skin. The flame began to be absorbed and he felt a terrible pain in his head. When it was over, the blade sat in his hand, feeling like an extension of his arm. He didn't know how, but he had just gained some knowledge of its use. Seraph could probably defend himself adequately, assuming his opponent didn't know any more than him. He placed it on the blank page of the 'Reference' book.

Black's Katana: The Japanese long sword. It is a slightly curved sword, with its convex edge sharpened, used since before the European Middle Ages. It was one of the weapons used by the Bushi class, especially the Samurai, but also ninja clans, feudal Japanese groups of spies and assassins who also used it together with a shorter sword called Wakizashi, or within ninja clans, a dagger like Wakizash, called a Tanto. The Katana has been endowed with a sacred element, since it comes from the work store of a member of the Shintoist priesthood. The two swords together are called Daisho (long and short), and were used by Samurai of all the ranks. Black's Katana is endowed with the sacred element of shadow. Deadly and silent, black flames appear during battle which enable it to cut through nearly anything. One half of the Black Daisho. Can be placed on the back or side. Once the blood ownership ritual is complete, it is impossible to steal or be used against the owner.

"Very fitting sir, if I may say so." Snipemere said to Seraph.

"How so, Snipemere?" he asked.

"Well sir, what is more fitting a dark angel of retribution then a flaming black sword?"

"I absolutely agree Snipemere." Seraph told the Goblin. 'I absolutely agree. I'll have to learn more about how to use this, and how exactly I know as much as I do about them. I think I know what the other pull was though.' He thought, picking up the accompanying scabbard and placing it near his side, where it strapped itself loosely on his left hip. 'Lets see if I am right...' he thought, looking for where he felt the second tug. 'Aha!' was the exclamation in his mind as he found what he was looking for. The dagger looked almost exactly like its counterpart, except being dagger length. The same impulse to spill his blood on the runes was felt, and he complied. This time the blade simply glowed a shadowy color instead of sprouting flames. The aura of the dagger was sucked into his skin and he felt the familiar pain in his head. The feeling of ease with this weapon was clear when he began twirling it in his hands. He placed it on the page to see more about it.

Black Tanto: Like the Black Katana, the Tanto is an assassin's blade, though shorter for closer, more personal work. The element of the shadow is also endowed within the blade, and like the Black Katana, can be used effectively while shadow walking. Second half of the Black Daisho. Carried close to the Black Katana loosely.

Strapping it to his side where it automatically hung loosely to his hip above the Black Katana, he continued looking through the armor and robes that were scattered about the far side of the armory. While he saw many interesting ancient suits and some spell repellent mail, it was not what he was looking for, so he began to search among the books.

Again, while there was a wealth of knowledge within the pages, they were mostly just old and out-dated. 'There are probably more resent books at Grimmauld Place, but I don't want to alert them to my disappearance or what I am up to yet. But then again, they are keeping Harry Potter locked up, not Seraph Black. How am I going to handle this? I'll think about it later' were his thoughts, as he began to pick up a book on Occlumency, but then put it back. Anything this old would easily be public knowledge. If everyone has the same mind defenses, then someone could easily slip passed them. In the same token, it would also be easier to block a mind intrusion because they will know what to expect. He did pick up some on potions that looked useful, as well as some old dark arts beginners books and some archaic runes and enchantment books.

"Uhm...hows it go again? Oh yeah 'WHO GOES THERE?!" demanded Sentinel, the guardian of the Grims Guild Texts. Seraph just stood there for a moment, wondering how something could appear intimidating and apprehensive at the same time.

"Oh, I guess you can't understand me. I had so hoped to speak to another too. I suppose that another will come along, they always do. Soon though, I hope. Even that sourpuss Phineas came to talk to me every so often. I suppose he's dead now though. They don't tell me much. I only guard some of the most illegal texts ever created! Not like I have an important job or anything..." Sentinel rambled on, sounding a lot like a cartoon character he had heard once, not noticing Seraph trying to get his attention for some time.

"Sentinel!" Seraph finally yelled.

"Yes?" the statue asked dumbly. "Oh, so you do speak. Why didn't you say something? You will be wanting past hmmm? What is it that you wish to seek that is not for all eyes to see? Rituals? Enchantments? Those ever illegal potions that Phineas raved about?" the Grim guard asked very quickly.

"I seek knowledge of the Old Guild, and all useful texts to help me win a war against a evil hypocrite, a useless ministry, and an Old Man who has long passed his prime. I seek what you guard, oh wise and capable Sentinel." Laying it on thick for the seemingly depressed statue. 'Who made this thing anyway? An emotional guardian. I'll have to learn how to make these things, they could be fun.

"Yes sir!" The doorkeeper said with pride evident in his voice, as he puffed his chest out. A ridiculous feat for what was in all reality a gigantic stone dog. "History and many other things you will find within. Enter, sir, but do take heed of the serpent that guards the last gate." Sentinel warned.

"Don't worry, Sentinel old dog, he'll listen to me. I just have that serpentine charm." The statue looked highly confused at this pronouncement before stepping aside to let him in.

Inside it looked like the library outside, except for the huge slate door at the end, being guarded by a rather large slithering onyx and this time, sapphire stone snake, settled in between the doors ring-like handles. Against a far corner, away from the books inside what looked like a very ornate open kennel, rested what looked to be large germen shepherd like dogs with inky black hair and paws bigger than the biggest of Mastiffs.

"Those must be Grims." Seraph commented to no one.

"Yes that they are. And who might you be, I wonder." A painting Seraph hadn't noticed before said to him. "A Black, obviously. But green eyes. Remarkable and only a silver band around them. Truly powerful your mother must be. Or was, perhaps. Yes, your mind is an open book child. Such pain and that is from your eyes alone. You seek knowledge that can only be found here. I will help you. Just tell me why you seek such knowledge?" The portrait asked him, in a somberly slow monotone which reminded Seraph of a funeral procession.

"Like you said, my mind is an open book. I seek a way to defend it that will not be known by any other. I need anything that will help me gain power in a short amount of time." He told the portrait. "And exactly who are you?"

"Me, boy? Who are you is what I wonder. Who am I indeed. I am Aniston Orison Black!" Aniston announced, as if Seraph should have known from the beginning. Getting only a raised eyebrow in response, he continued. "Well, I suppose it has been to long since a true Grimtongue has been for me to be well know. I am librarian, so to speak, of these fine texts you see before you. What you ask is indeed here, and more. What is power to you though?" Aniston asked, the last part in a slightly cryptic tone.

"I see power as a means to an end. One must have it to do what must be done, or because others won't." he told the picture.

"Ah yes. An answer worthy of the first. There are those who see power as a means unto itself. Those are who don't deserve such power. I believe that is what you hope to defeat? How interesting, a Black who fights the evil power, yet does not see the world in the black and white that usually comes with such a position. A balanced wizard has not been seen in the Blacks for quit a while. But we are getting ahead of ourselves. You have not yet had the pleasure of meeting the council have you? Yes, yes. Now don't interrupt me..." the portrait told Seraph, who was trying to tell him to get on with it.

"Now let me concentrate. Runes, enchantments, and potions, oh my. Most of the rituals that can help you can be found here, but for some others you may need to search the Black Star's chamber for. Look to the bookshelf, you will find all that you need. It is one of my 'services' to the family. Do return them at some point. If you die, they will return automatically, but there is a reason that they are kept from the rest of the world." Aniston finished. While the portrait was as interesting as Binns, he was able to listen to all he needed to know.

"Thank you." He said, as he made his way to a lone bookshelf, away from the others. A few books sat on the shelves, though not enough to effectively help him. He was just about to ask why there were so few books, when Aniston answered him.

"Look at the books. The title should tell you all you need to know. Whatever subject it is, will hold all of the knowledge held on all of these shelves that will help you. It is easier, I believe, then carrying a library with you. It will be ancient knowledge though, some far more effective than anything nowadays, but some are not as updated as they should be. You will have to bring more books here, to include them in the 'Master Books', otherwise they will have to be housed securely in your trunk and be read separately."

Looking through the books he saw simple, vague titles such as 'Rituals' or 'Potions'. 'Must be like he said then' Seraph thought, as he opened a page and saw a list of topics, not book titles.

"This will be helpful, thank you." Seraph told Aniston, as he put the books into the now enlarged trunk. Making his way to the slate door, he was stopped by a melodious, yet dangerous hiss fill his ears. 'A bit like a siren' he thought, shaking himself out of his stupor.

"You can stop that, you know." Seraph told the snake, annoyed at being taken in by a mind charm, even if faintly. The Serpent looked startled for a moment. Then it grinned, 'How in the hell does a snake grin?', in the same lopsided, slightly feral grin that the Family ring and Seraph possess.

"Ah, I see you have finally come. This is good. It is about time too. I have not been able to stretch in ages, and I have such a cramp! And I haven't had a good shed in ages. Come, I will meet you inside." The snake told him, in an obviously female voice. She slithered through a moving hole next to the ring handles. Opening the doors, Seraph was met by a relatively another extravagant sitting room, though this seemed to be more homely, with deep emerald colored carpet, instead of black. The furniture was the same Dragon Hide the others were, but softer. It was a small private library with a charmed window showing Hogwarts of all places with the Dark Forest in the background. A mighty, full sized grim sat looking at the lake, every so often fading away and appearing somewhere else. It was on one of the larger couches that Seraph found the snake lounging.

"It has been so long since I have seen, or felt these couches. Do you mind if I stay in here sometimes? I do so enjoy small comforts. You are the only other since my master to have been here. You seek truly powerful knowledge, do you not?" She asked.

"Yes, I was told that only the most valuable of information would be held in your protection. Tell me though, you are stone, so how is it that you are able to feel? The Grim, Sentinel also felt emotion, and you say that you can feel pain? Or shed for that matter. What are you exactly? And who are you?" Seraph asked, wondering how stone could have a shed, or cramp. Was it alive?

"Me? I am Nashira, thank you for asking." Nashira said softly, seemingly lost in thought. She suddenly shook here head, coming back to the question. "Cramp? Yes I can feel, to a certain extent, emotions too. The pathetic mutt is just a cry baby. As to why I or the mutt shed, I couldn't tell you. The knowledge to make guardians is kept here though. All you will have to do is look. Within this study, you will find what you seek. The master's journals are also held here, if you are interested. They cover not only his life, but what he knew of his Father's also. The Guild's laws are also here, blood or otherwise. Like with the other Black collection, there are 'Master Books' that hold the information on the subjects. They are over there." She told him, pointing here head to a large desk that Seraph could have sworn was no there before.

On the desk were several more books to add to his collection, those these too were vague. 'Advanced Black Rituals', 'Advanced Black Potions', 'Advanced Enchantments and Animation', there was also a book that would solve part of his problems. 'Black's Guide to Mind Shrouding and Infiltration: Occlumency and Legilimency' was the title of the book. Opening the potions book, the first subject he saw was a Permanent Bone Removing potion that made the poly-juice look like a simple warming drought. 'I guess Advanced really means advanced. This just might be what I need.' He thought as he also put these in his trunk.

"Thank you Nashira. I will be back when I need anything else." He told the Serpent as he left.

"Stop, young one. All who pass through here are worthy of the Black companion. As it has been, as it will always been. Choose child." The portrait told him, in a near ceremonious voice, which, Seraph thought, could very well be. He walked over to the large kennel and stepped in. It was huge compared to the outside. For Grims typically being thought of as black and, well Grimmish, there were several varieties in different shades of darker colors. They all seemed to be asleep, some with paws on a toy, or bone, one was even hanging from the top of its cage by its paws, looking happy as can be, besides the whole cryogenically induced stupor they all seemed to be in. But one stood in the center, watching Seraph as he entered. Instead of German-Shepard like, he resembled more of a mammoth black Labrador.

"Ah, I see that another has the gift. It has been too long since one of my children have had a companion. I am glad to see you. What is your name, young master?" The canine asked him.

"I am Seraph Orion Black, and I was under the impression that all of the Grims were kept under a spell of some sort, yet you are not. Aniston told me to choose a companion, as was tradition, but I do not know how to go about this." Seraph informed the Grim.

"Ah, a Dark Angel of Orion. A fitting name, if your eyes and demeanor are anything to go by. You carry the pain of a fallen angel though it is receding. And the weapons are fitting, the First Master carried those same weapons. I am the first Grim, and these are all my children. I have lived long, and fathered many. As for how I have lived for so long, it is because it is my purpose. We Grims are companions and guardians. I protect my children, and make sure that if they do wake up before being chosen, they can leave. Those are wild Grims, what the wizards believe to be fictitious, they guard graveyards and roads to fulfill their purpose to live on. They are under a strong time binding spell that will only be broken by the death of their intended, which is how some do wake up, or by being chosen. To choose one, simply relax and head towards any pull you feel, much like the weapons, though I hesitate to make such a reference."

Nodding in understanding, Seraph began to walk around, letting his instincts take him where they would. A few minutes later, he felt something. A tug similar to that his weapons had done, but different at the same time. He stopped in front of a larger open cage. Inside was a puppy that was nearly the size of a fully grown, large Labrador. The dog was black as night, but auburn colored hair could be seen sparsely. If that didn't tell Seraph that this was his chosen, then the next thing did. The Grim puppy stood up, stretched in feline like manner, and opened its eyes. Emerald and silver eyes. His eyes. 'Well, I guess that answers that.' He thought.

"Hello, young one. I am Seraph. I will be your companion." Seraph told the Grim, as it began to walk around.

"Hello master Seraph. Umm... I will be your companion and umm... protector! Yeah, that's what it was. I will be your companion and protector. Can we leave? I'm Cheleb, master Seraph sir." Cheleb informed him just as quick as Sentinel had. Seraph laughed at the puppy's impatience to leave his resting place.

"Just Seraph, or sir. We will both work on patience, it will be needed. Yes, we will be leaving soon to look for items that I will need. We are at war, Cheleb. I will need your help in information gathering, if you can handle that for me. I assume you will grow very quickly, we will be going to a new home shortly after today."

"Yes sir!" Cheleb responded in a near military salute.

They walked back to the ancient grim to inform him of who had been chosen, and that they were leaving. Gomeisa, for that is what the Grims name was, bid them farewell. He said goodbye to Aniston and Sentinel on his way out and stopped before the Goblin Snipemere.

"Well sir, will we be on our way?" The Goblin asked, handing him a medium sized black velvet pouch. Snipmere informed him that it was a bottomless money bag that tied directly to his vault. All he had to do was add a couple drops of blood to the seal on the front, and it would be tied to him. Seraph nodded his acquiescence and performed the small ritual. Once back in the carts, Cheleb seemed to almost disappear when they dipped out of the light and into the darkness. His tongue could still be seen, a slight glowing pink in the void. An odd growling could be heard throughout Gringotts' caverns, as the Grim screamed his happiness at the speed.

"We have much to do, Cheleb. Try not to bring too much attention to yourself. If I have any problems with the store owners, do you feel like changing their minds? The overly large lab gave him the same grin that seemed to run through the Black Family as they made their way to the place parents warned their children about from the age of understanding fear. Knocturn Alley.


All right. What do you think? Don't expect many other chapters to be even this long, I just couldn't end it. No ships in the foreseeable future. Not sure I could have done romance anyway. Remus and Tonks may hook up... For Seraph though, maybe sometime into the Hogwarts year. Don't know. Rethinking where he should go. He has Potter, Black, and Slytherin finances and properties. He didn't get to the Potter or Slytherin heirlooms, but he will at some point. You know what you like to read, and I have a good idea of what I want to write, but suggestions are welcome. Okay. Chapter done, may revise at some point. Hopefully there are not too many mistakes. I was informed that some of the mistakes were with words like there and their, or quit and quite. I'm bad with stuff like that. I apologize. Next chapter sometime soon, not sure.

I'm glad so many are reading the story, please review.

The text format for ficwad has messed up everything that was in italics, bolds, and what not, and since I am averse to going through everything, the story will just have to make due without them.
Sign up to rate and review this story