Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Black Ascension

Grim Explenations

by Omni_Black 3 reviews

The story was well recieved elsewhere, hopefuly it will be here as well.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Harry - Published: 2006-03-15 - Updated: 2006-03-15 - 3171 words

5Insightful
Chapter 4: Grim Explenations


Harry just sat there frozen for a moment. Then his brain began to process this new information.

Harry just sat there. He couldn't believe it. Sirius was his father, or used to be. Or something, but the fact still remained. 'Sirius is my father. Why the hell didn't he tell me?! All this time I could have had a father, a family. But I guess there was the small matter of him being in prison for 12 years, and wanted for several murders, plus breaking out of jail probably didn't help matters either. But he still could have told me. Merlin, why does it always happen to me? I know, I'll be subtle'

"Why didn't you tell me?!" Harry demanded.

"I don't think I will ever be able to tell you enough, pup. I am so sorry. None of this was supposed to happen, like it apparently did. Dumbledore never knew, and I wanted to keep it that way. I saw his manipulations, and I wanted nothing more than to claim you and leave the country, the war. I planned on telling you in private, this summer, so you could choose your path. While you had the Black family magic, and mind, it was locked away. This way, no one would dispute you to not be a Potter. This included some mannerisms and abilities that most of the blacks possess. You would still be my son, if you would have me as a father, but you would continue the Potter line, not the Black line. But, if you had chosen to do so, I could have unlocked that part of you. It would have been painful as hell, but you would feel more whole, having received your familial traits and abilities." Sirius explained.

"Why couldn't you tell me sooner? And what do you mean by the Black family traits and abilities? Harry asked

But before Sirius could answer, Silverhook interrupted. "Sirs, I would like to remind you that as you are an echo, you can be placed in a portrait. I believe that you have several in your family vault, and a new frame has been created and placed there." Silverhook informed them, slightly annoyed that they were straying away from business.

"Right, of course Silverhook. I can tell you everything once we leave. But first let me tell you this. Since you were unlocked, however that happened (and I expect a full explanation), you cannot be a Potter any longer in name. As far as your blood goes, Harry James Potter never existed, Seraph Orion Black is who you truly are. The Black Angel of Orion. Are you okay with that?" seeing Harry- sorry, Seraph's hesitant nod he continued. "Okay, here we go."

"I Sirius Orion Black, familial nomen 'The Black Dog of Orion', being of relatively sound mind and body, do here by name Harry James Potter, henceforth known as Seraph Orion Black, familial nomen 'The Black Angel of Orion' as my Heir by blood right and Head of the Black Family. As vessel of the Potter family, I name my heir, Seraph Orion Black, Heir of Potter Family by right of Magic. I also ask that the family motto be changed to something more fitting. By blood, by right, by magic, so it is spoken, so mote it be."

And with that a brilliant flash of black and silver light filled the room. Harry could feel the magic tingling across his skin and over his face. Then the tingling became a sting, and then a biting sensation gripped him across the forehead. Then, as soon as it came, it left.

"What the hell was that?" a disorientated Seraph asked. (A/N: Harry will now be known as Seraph. As was explained, Harry James Potter never technically existed.)

"The last remnant of your mothers charm was just removed. You don't have any physical similarity to James Potter any longer. As for why it hurt so much, I am sorry, for I do not know." Answered Silverhook. "But, I can tell you of your status as the head of the Blacks though. Lets see here..." Silverhook began looking through papers on his desk. "First of all, as a head of a family, you are seen as a legal adult. Full responsibilities and privileges, you get the idea. You, as a Heir of the Potter line are the Head of that family as well. Would you like to combine the two? It would make things much easier. The two lines would simply merge finances and vaults, and if I am correct, you carry both the Black family magic, as well as the Potters, this would be best, as all your descendants will also have this magic."

"Yes, I would like to do that. As head of the family, I can disown members of the Family and recognize those who were previously disowned, correct?" Seraph asked, a plan forming in his head. 'This will be an interesting way to alert the Order of a new player in the game.'

"Yes you can. Claudham!" Silverhook suddenly yelled. A moment later a Goblin came in. "Claudham, bring me the Potter finances. It seems as if the Black Family has grown. Mr. Black, I have here the Black Family finances. Stocks, properties, businesses owned; magical and muggle, vault accounts; physical and liquid assets are listed. Ah, and the Family ring. The Potter ring will be absorbed once both are on your hand, into one. This signifies the merging of the line." Silverhook told Seraph's, as he handed him the ring. Once he put it on, it glowed silver for a moment, before settling to fit him. The ring was the same as the crest on the door. The snake looked, around but did not speak before settling around the Grim's neck. The Grim looked at him for a moment then bowed its head.

"And here are the Potter finances; you may look at them at your leisure. You will have a copy of both in the Black Vault, which has just been enlarged to hold all of your assets that were being held. You are a very rich man, Mr. Black. You have just become one of our wealthiest customers."

"Just how much money do I have now?" Seraph asked.

"Let's see, with the merger, minus transfer charge and what has already been willed away by your father, you have close to ten billion Galleons." Silverhook told Seraph, who now looked utterly flabbergasted.

"Well," he said. "That's a bit." Seraph felt a bit odd being referred to as Sirius's son, and as Mr. Black. 'Well, I suppose I had better get used to it. It's not bad, actually. I kind of like it. It will take some getting used to though.'

"Quite." Was all the Goblin said, with a toothy grin that would give children nightmares. "Here is the Potter ring, once the rings are merged, you can visit your vault. Once there we can duplicate your father's echo and place it in a portrait. You can then take it with you. It will not be activated while shrunken, so you will have to state your station to it and pronounce 'Activate' to activate it. This will work for all Family portraits." The Goblin explained as he handed the Potter ring to him.

Both rings glowed for a moment. An image of their respected animals appeared above the rings. The Lion of the Potter ring bowed low to the Grim of the Black ring before being sucked into the Grim. The large, bear-like dog grinned in an odd, lopsided manner that still was able to make it look feral, before bowing to Seraph.

"It is complete, master Black. The line of the Lion gives us courage to do what is needed. Never more will a Black fear an opponent, as we have before. But we will not run blindly like the Lions once did. They will learn, master, to never slight a Black."

"Yes, I quit agree. No one provokes me with impunity, a quote from a man who wrote the book on revenge. I do believe I have just found our Family motto, thank you. Also, how is it that I can speak to you?"

"There have only been a few since the first Master Black that have been able to speak directly to me. Usually they can speak to canines and also Grims. It is a unique ability of Blacks, and gift to the Guild, much like parseltongue to the Slytherin line, which you also seem to possess. All male Blacks have the ability; you can generally always speak the tongue of your animagus form, and they have always been a grim or similar large canine like animal since the beginning. To be able to speak to me signifies that you are, or will be a very powerful Wizard. Only Blacks who can turn into a true grim, like the ones created by the founders of the Black Line can speak to me. You will understand more once your father's portrait finishes his explanation." The Grim on his ring told him.

"Seraph, what the hell was that? I knew you would be able to speak to dogs, like I could, but not that. No one has been able to talk to that ring since my Great-Great-Grandfather Phineas. You must have some great potential pup, use it well." Sirius told him with pride.

"I will, Dad. I promise. Silverhook, I want to recognize the Andromeda Tonks Nymphrodora Tonks family as part of the Black family by blood and Ted Tonks by marriage. What can I do to Bellatrix Lestrange and Narcissa Malfoy?" Seraph asked Silverhook.

"You can disown them, or dissolve their marriages and make them your wards. With them disowned, they will not be able to access the Black Family Vault or receive there stipends. If you make them wards, you will have to provide for them, as technically they will not be able to use magic, as they would no longer have 'Adult' status." Silverhook told him.

"What will happen to Draco Malfoy?" Seraph asked, remembering that Malfoy would also be a Black in a way.

"That depends on who he would choose to stay with, his mother or his father. But generally an heir would stay with their father, as is custom, to take over the family. Should he choose to stay with his mother, he would most likely be disowned, as his mother would be disgraced in the eyes of many."

"Okay, I would like to disown them both. Having them under my care sounds like too much responsibility with what I have planned.

"Very well, sir. There is still the matter of the motto that the late Mr. Black wished to be changed."

"Yes, I have thought of one. 'Nemo me impune lacessit' No one provokes me with impunity. I believe it is fitting."

"Yes, I quit agree. Mr. Black, Mr. Black, we best be on our way. Mr. Black Sr., you will have to be deactivated and then duplicated once down in the vault." Silverhook informed Sirius.

"All right, pick me up pup, lets go." Sirius told Seraph as they began to filter out of the office.

Making there way down the hall, Seraph saw Bill Weasley coming out of an adjacent hallway. 'I can't let him recognize me. I may look different, but my scar stands out like a neon light.' Seraph felt a tingling sensation on his scalp at the thought of not being recognized. He felt his hair slowly lengthening until the front nearly covered his face. Bill passed by him without a second glance.

"What was that? Am I a metamorphmagus?" Seraph asked his father.

"Yes, actually. All Blacks are, to an extent. I can only change my hair length, and my beard. Its part of the history lesson I plan on giving you. You may not be able to remove the scar, but I bet you can move it to somewhere less visible. Just concentrate on what you want done."

"Okay, here we go." Seraph said, while concentrating on making the scar move to the side of his ribs. He figured if anyone did see it, he could tell them that he got it in an accident of some sort. Again, he felt the tingling sensation, but this time it moved down his face, his neck, along his back, and to his side where it settled. "Man that was weird. Now about the hair." The tingling in his scalp could be felt again as he shortened his hair to how it was before coming to Gringotts.

"Much better, Mr. Black. Here are the carts, Snipemere will be taking you down today. Good day sir." And with that Silverhook left.

As they got into the carts Seraph asked Sirius what he was going to explain in the office.

"Yeah, sure pup. I'll tell you about the traits later." Sirius began as they descended into the depths of Gringotts. "As for why tell you this summer? Well, that's because for a Black, 16 is a right of passage. Back when there were witch hunts going on, if you made it to the age of 16, you were worthy of gaining the right to choose your own path. On the eve of your 16th, you will go into a trance. You will meet the founders of the Family there. I don't know how they can do it, don't ask. They are the reason I know what I do of the Black family. Once there, you can choose your path. Generally it is just dark or light, but there have been a few balanced Blacks before. The choice has nothing to do with being 'good' or 'evil' though. Your choice dictates how well you can use certain magic. Some families like the Potters, could never cast a correct Cruciatus Curse, though a few have tried in anger. A Black, lets say, would have trouble casting a love based spell. It's not that you can't cast 'Dark' or 'Light' spells, just one or the other will be easier for you. A balanced, or Grey Wizard, are still usually seen as 'Dark' in the eyes of many because of the use of 'dark' spells. But they are actually stronger then both, being able to utilize both magics. Not many can understand the difference between 'dark' and 'evil', besides those who are 'dark' or 'evil'. 'Light Magic' is more or less strictly based on emotion and power, while 'Dark Magic' is magic based on intention and power." Sirius explained as they stopped in front of a large door with the Black Family Crest on it.

"Who dares attempt entry to the Most Noble and Ancient Vault of Black?" demanded a massive Grim in a menacing growl to any body who heard it, except Seraph, who heard only English. "Ah, Master Black. I have been expecting to see you."

"Yesss, the Black that can ssspeak to serpentsss. Your coming hasss been foretold. I do believe that you are the firssst Black since the initial Master Black to be able to ssspeak to me. A suure sign that you are the Masssters chosen Heir, ass there have been none before you. Though there wasss one of the descendants of the Guild who demanded entrance from me. . . the ignorant fool attempted to force his way in. . . Now he will never get into his ancestral vault. He should have look further than a family name before trying take what was not his." The black and silver serpent hissed a laugh.

"What are you speaking of, how was I foretold? What Guild, and who would try to demand entrance from a snake...wait, Riddle tried to get into the Black Family Vault, why?" Seraph asked the Serpent.

"You do not yet know of the Guild? Yesss, I suppossse you would not. That will be remedied sssoon, ass it iss for your father to tell you, if he iss able. I will ansswer your question though. The Grimsss Guild was a group of thieves and assassins in the early history of magic, sometime after the disappearance of Merlin. They created many of the ssstealth and subterfuge techniques used today. Slytherin was a Lesser Massster in the Guild hierarchy, a sssystem of laws and talentsss devised by the Guilds Master and Founder; Knox, the father of the first Blacks. These lawsss were passed in blood, binding any and all who signed, and there dessscendants thereafter, to never lie, steal, or betray one another. This may not sound like a great many laws, but this wasss to a group of thieves and assassins, it was enough, and it kept order. When the Slytherin heir demanded entrance, he broke a blood law of brotherhood. The penalty should have been death, but as he did not gain entrance, his vaults were taken by the ancient magic, and given to you by the right of Blood Retribution."

"That is interesting. So I have the Slytherin Vault because Riddle tried to steal from the Black Vault? When did this happen, and do you know what he wanted from inside?" Seraph asked.

"I believe that it happened close to fifty years ago. He was a young man when he came to me. All of the ancient writings and texts on rituals of every kind created by the Grims Guild are stored here. It was all for naught however. Only a true Grimtongue may access these tomes, and the most valuable and powerful texts are protected by parseltongue guardians put there by the First Black. Only you, since the Initial Master will have access to theses writings, as no Black before you has this ability. That is how you were foretold. A prophecy is written within a text, and told to me from the Master, telling of the coming of a True Grim, touched by the Serpent who would bring retribution and the old guild back, the child who would speak to both Guardians of Black and Silver." Serpent Guardian finished.

"Great," Seraph mumbled. "I have another prophecy on my head. I'll have to find it to see what it says though." A little louder, "Snipemere, would you please combine the Slytherin Ancestral Vault to the Black's? It seems that Riddle lost his vault to me by trying to steal from the Blacks after he graduated from Hogwarts. By Blood Retribution Law, his vault is mine"

(A/N: "this is Grimtongue" "this is parseltongue" for now on. Onward with the story)

"Most Noble and Ancient Grim, open to me the Ancestral Vault."

"As you wish..." the Grim said, as the door opened with a loud booming noise. A billowing cloud of grey dust dispersed, nearly choking Seraph. When the dust cleared, Seraph could barely hear his father saying; "Welcome, to the Most Noble and Ancient Vault of Black."


0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Chapter is done, hope you enjoyed it. Review, anonymous reviews are accepted. They help me to know if you like it or not. Thanks


Omnis Potens
Sign up to rate and review this story