Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Chronicles of the Mage

A Village Under Siege

by wiwuno 2 reviews

The journy through Thedas begins.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover,Drama,Fantasy - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [!] [V] - Published: 2011-10-20 - Updated: 2011-10-20 - 3339 words

0Unrated
Chronicles of the Mage

AN: Welcome one and all to the next installment in the Chronicles of the Mage. The people have spoken and Harry will be spending the next several chapters on Thedas this plane will also act as the jumping off point for some of the overall story ideas. I know some of you didn't like the fact that Voldemort had Harry on the wrong side of a curb-stomp battle but have some faith in me I know what I'm planning better than any of you. I have thought out nearly every major theme and plot point and I know what I want to do. But enough of all that on with the story.

Disclaimer: Money, Power, Influence, Fame, and anything I use in this story. This is a short list of things I really wish I owned.

///

Warden POV

The village of Redcliff was a wreck. Any surface that wasn't already burnt or blood stained was being used to support the sick, injured and starving, certainly not what the young warden Azreal Amell and his party were hoping for. Upon reaching the outskirts of the village the party was greeted by an exhausted runner who had been sent to meet them from the desperate village. As they entered the first thing to hit them was the sickly sweet smell of rot and death, the feeling of misery and hopelessness seemed to only accentuate this stench. Next was the choking smell of the mass funeral pyre that had been erected near the center of town to burn the large numbers of dead. The buildings which would normally be of visibly sturdy and conservative build that was the calling card of Ferelden architecture were now poorly held together falling down shacks and half repaired hovels. The strength and pride of the people seemed sucked from them, even the colors were somehow less vibrant. A dark grey haze could be seen lazing above the higher buildings and even surrounding the castle in the distance. Entering through the recently reinforced doors of the local chantry the party of heroes were greeted by the grim face of a man in his early middle ages. His eyes were dark and sunken in, worry and exhaustion clear on his features and seeming to reflect the feeling of the village perfectly. The interior of the building was in contrast to the poorly kept structures surrounding it was obviously though not beautifully modified and reinforced. Unnecessary furniture had been taken apart and used to close any gaps or structural weaknesses in the building, metallic patches had been added to any windows, doors, and supports in an attempt to turn the house of worship into a makeshift fortress. Even the exterior in hindsight had been modified, barricades and choke points had been set up in a pattern around the exterior to lead any intruders into possible danger zones. All around the building were strung blankets and curtains to give the people taking refuge there some semblance of privacy and comfort, little that it was.

Upon approaching the weary man the armored blond in the group immediately spoke up, eyes widening in recognition.

“Tegan! Is that you?” He called in surprise.

“Alistair! My word boy I barely recognized you. Either this crisis is starting to affect my mind or you've grown quite a bit since I last saw you.” Bann Tegan said cheering up quickly at the sight of such a familiar and welcome face. “I dare say you couldn't have come at a better time. Things are bad here, first that blood mage shows up, then the Arl falls sick, and now this. Its just terrible Alistair.” The distressed Bann began.

“Whats wrong with Eamon? Some of the knights we met on our travels told us of his ailments but were unable to really give details.” The demi-templar asked worried about the man who had raised him as his own.

“ I don't know much more than the knights unfortunately. Eamon fell I'll not long after the warden Duncan left for Ostagar. He's not getting any worse last time I saw him but nothing we could do could wake him, but the last time I saw him was weeks ago. Not more than a few days after Eamon's illness evened out I was in the village when the castle gates slammed shut and wouldn't reopen no matter what was tried. The sounds coming from in there were horrible. It sounded like a battle, no more like a slaughter. Then that night the gates opened again, but instead of a report coming to the people we were forced to see what had happened with our own eyes. Corpse's fresh from the blade came pouring out of the castle and started butchering any who were near by. The worst part though was that every one of them were part of the castle guard and staff, friends, neighbors, family, and loved ones all had been turned into those things. It was horrible, we lost so many to that initial attack. Since then we've been strengthening the chantry with what ever is on hand as best we can and trying to keep as many people alive as we can but were loosing more each night and for the first couple nights anyone killed by those things would be found as part of the next assault. We've taken to burning every corpse we could immediately but were loosing to much ground the enemy's force grows but you and your friends look capable would you be willing to help your old home Alistair?” Tegan concluded his tale in an almost begging tone internally praying to the human maker, Dalish creators, even the Dwarven Ancestors that these travelers would help.

“Of course we'll help Tegan. We cant just let the innocent people suffer like this.” Alistair answered without any hesitation.

“What gives you the right to speak for me fool.” The golden eyed apostate Morrigan cut in. “I say leave them to their fates. We've more important tasks than saving a bunch of sniveling villagers.”

“These Bas failed in their duty to guard their homes and leader. Were these Qunari death would be the least of their punishments for their disgrace.” The ashen skined Ox-man Sten stated in his flat monotone.

“Oh we have to help them Azreal. We cant just leave these poor people here to suffer on there own can we?” The red haired chantry sister Liliana pleaded.

“Hopelessly squishy things that they are. The dead should be even squishier, but I wont say no to something interesting for once.” The colorful reply from the golem raising a few eyebrows.

The loyal Mabari hound Artemis was nudging Azreal forward seeming to indicate a desire to help. Taking a moment to consider the situation properly the Mage warden finally came to a decision.

“What's the point of stopping the blight if everyone gets killed anyway? Were helping.” The red haired mage declared a hard edge of conviction set behind his white-gray eyes. “What do you need us to do?”

Brightening up Bann Tegan began going over everything he knew.

“Well for starters the militia we've put together could use some equipment and repairs but the blacksmith's hold up in his shop and won't come out most of the towns men and several women are fighting but numbers only do so much when your fighting with rakes and plows, we could seriously use some medical supplies but no one here knows how to mix up anything but disinfectant. That's all I can think of myself Murdock and Ser Perth should know more. You can find them in the town square and near the wind mill respectively. Please do what you can tonight looks to be the worst yet.” The Bann concluded his plea and left to tend to other matters leaving the party to split up and visit the knights and mayor each. Liliana and Alistair went to see what they could do for the knights while the rest of the party headed to see what kind of aid the mayor would need.

“I don't understand Azreal. You've always been a sensible man why on Thedas would you suddenly stop thinking with your head. Surly you can see that helping these people is going to be a waste of our time. The blight wont wait while we play hero.” Morrigan complained trying to reason with her leader.

“I understand you're point Morrigan and your very much right. If this was simply me playing hero this would be a waste of time but I was here with Duncan before we left for Ostagar. The population of this village is certainly much larger than most. If the villagers have formed a militia that means we've the option of soldiers to fight the blight but first we need to earn their loyalty. Playing hero for them should suffice to earn some gratitude. Even if we cant wake the Arl we will still need numbers to fight.” The mage warden elaborated. Nodding at the reasoning behind the mages actions Morrigan consented that his words were quite true. Approaching Murdoch the remaining party members were able to see the same kinds of stress on this man's face as they could the Bann's.

“Who are you. If your a bunch of bandits then keep moving we ain't got nothing worth stealing.” The tired mayor grumbled out.

“Nothing like that Murdoch. Were here to help with the coming battle. Tegan sent us to see what you needed.” The Warden claimed in as sincere a voice as he could muster.

The mayor raised a skeptical eyebrow. “Well if your really here to help there are a few things we could use. Does that walking statue of your know how to fight?” Murdoch asked curiously. Seeing the wardens nod he continued. “The setting it up near the village entrance would be a real help. The fewer enemies that get near here the better. If you've got anyone who can mix up slaves and poultices we've gathered up everything we could find medicine wise in the general store over there. Most of the able bodied villagers have agreed to fight but there's a few sods who are still hiding like children. If you can get more people to help out it would improve our odds. Dwynn the miserable dwarf and his lot are hold up in his house laughing his ass off at our efforts to stop these things. Their supposed to have some fighting experience. Then there's this fella a little ways outside town. He don't come around much and might not even know what's going on around here. Some folks call him a warlock or some such rubbish either way he can hold his own in a fight and we could use him. The knights might have some other ideas but other than that I'd see about the men we already have. Morale is a very important thing. If the men don't think there's any hope were doomed anyway.” Murdoch finished before turning to read over a report about supplies or some such. Morrigan made here way into the general store to see about preparing healing medicines for the injured. Sten headed in the direction of this Dwynn's house with Artemis following him after muttering something about honor less cowards and Qunari punishments. The Warden decided to head out to the 'Warlock's' home.

///

Harry's POV

Harry had been on this plane for just over five years so far. At first he had tried returning to his home plane but no matter how hard he tried it seemed like that place was being blocked. Deciding that if he was going to one day return and free his home from Voldemort he would first have to get stronger Harry decided to stay here and learn what he could. This plane was Quite interesting instead of the usual respect, honor, or even down right worship most mages receive the mages of this plane were feared and even hated. I seemed that there was a threat from the more spiritual portion of the plane attempting to possess mages and use them to wreak havoc on the physical plane. He had found one of the Mage prisons called a Circle of Magi and took up residence outside a large village across the lake form it. It was a simple matter to infiltrate the prison, a quick flight across the lake and a slight shift in appearance to make his clothing look like a mages robes boom he was in. He had spent days in the library learning not just spells and magics but also history and lore. The fascinating thing he found were these 'Blights'. Mass invasions of twisted dark creatures overrunning the surface every few centuries destroying massive amounts of civilized society, and yet people never seem to take the threat seriously until its almost to late. So many times the people have believed the Darkspawn wiped out by the Grey Wardens only for them to rise again when everyone believed the threat over for good. There was supposed to be a blight going on right now in this very country but from what harry had seen instead of rallying an army of the nations to deal with it early everyone would rather continue squabbling over petty things like land and money. It was like watching two men argue over who owned a shack even as it burned down around them. It was so foolish. Suddenly a knock on his door broke him out of his musings and he turned to greet his visitor. Throwing open the door wide hoping to see some of the traders from the village he lived near here to sell him supplies like usual he was greeted by the sight of a single mage standing outside his door with a look of purpose.

“How can I help you today young mage?” Harry began hoping this was a pleasure call.

“Are you the so called 'Warlock of Redcliff'?” the mage questioned getting straight to the point. Causing Harry to inch is way towards the staff he kept next to the door the base of which was tipped with a small dagger like blade to improve it's usefulness in close quarters.

“And what if I am have the Templar's sent you to act as a distraction?” Harry questioned as he took hold of his weapon not wanting to use any magic just yet in case he was being watched.

“My name is Azreal Amell. I'm a Grey Warden. I was sent here to procure your aid in defending the village of Redcliff from attack.” Azreal explained drawing a surprised look from Harry he had just returned from another trip to the mage prison just that morning and now he hears the village was being attacked.

“Of course I'll help. Why has no one come to find me yet?” He asked knowing that even if that had come he wouldn't have been there.

“The people have been besieged by the undead there was a slaughter in the castle and the dead from that have been assaulting the village itself every night sense. Chances are they didn't have the men to spare to find one man. Come I'll tell you everything I know on the way there.” The warden explained turning to leave with Harry following right behind him staff in hand and magic at the ready.

///

Things were looking up already. Alistair and Liliana managed to help improve the morale of the knights and militia, get the blacksmith to open up his shop again and convince Lloyd the tavern keeper and an elf named Berwick who had been acting as a spy for the treacherous Teryn Loghain to fight tonight. Sten had coerced Dwynn and his small gang of men to join the battle as well while also recovering his lost blade Asala in the process. Morrigan had taught the people a few simple recipes and had even set up some oil outside the barricade gaps to help whittle down several more undead with fire. Shale the golem had found a spot it deemed suitable and had begun gathering large stones and boulders for tossing at 'soft and squishy' undead. When the warden arrived with Harry the green eyed Plainswalker immediately went to the infirmary and began healing every person he could to the best of his abilities.

As night began to fall the final preparations were made the non combatants were corralled into the chantry and the doors were barricaded from the inside with several large beams. Slowly a green mist began to roll in from the palace gate and the first of the undead could be heard shuffling closer. The sound of a large crash as Shale's first boulder was tossed was the signal for the battle to begin. The archers waiting for the undead to get into position sent flaming arrows into their dried bodies and dropped them into the oil igniting the fire barrier and taking down more than a few undead with it. As the first of the creatures emerged from the flames, clothing charred and skinned fried the knights charged in aided by the mages Azreal, Morrigan, and Harry each sending out their own spells. The beasts that made it past the knights were intercepted by Alistair and Sten who were displaying their maximum skill dispatching these creatures while being aided from a distance by Liliana with her bow. The next line of defense was finally the militia themselves taking out the few undead who made it through the gauntlet of screaming re-death in front. For a while the battle was going well until a sudden surge brought out undead that were coming from the rear having walked through the lake itself. Instead of breaking up the defense though Harry insisted that he go alone and ran off with out further argument.

//

Reaching the dock just in time to see the last of the rear guard fall Harry began drawing on his Green mana affinity and locked on to several bestial bonds he had formed over the decades. Releasing the mana in a surge of power he managed to summon a number of quadrupedal beasts with sleek scaled green skin and vicious fangs and claws, their tails were tipped with barbs that they began using to skewer the undead even as Harry started drawing on his Red mana to summon down torrents of flame and bolts of lightning on the undead. Spikes of earth began shooting from the ground and the wind whipping around them began to compress itself into razor sharp blades as it approached any enemy beast. Reaching out to the lake itself Harry began freezing the surface near the land to block and trap any remaining undead reaching out with his senses he used the water to locate all the remaining undead under water and formed a thick prison of ice around them. Releasing the green beast he had called here to their home plane he began channeling all the blue mana he could draw on and summoned a massive swarm of ravenous carnivorous fish of many species into the prison and set them on the undead until nothing was left of them. The battle on his side won Harry returned to see a powerful blast of dual chain lightning being cast by Morrigan and Azreal taking down the last of the main attacking force. Finally the sun began to peak over the surface of the lake and the undead horde finally stopped flowing from the castle gates. The battle had been won and minimal casualties had been taken. It was the best news the people of Redcliff had heard in weeks.



AN: Done. I think that was a pretty good chapter in my opinion but tell me what you thought yourselves. If anyone can tell me the origin of Azreal name sake I'll answer one question about this story that you want. Anything at all. Till next time this is wiwuno saying. Adios Bitches!
Sign up to rate and review this story