Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Pride of Gryffindor

VACATION AND RECONCILIATION

by Quillian 4 reviews

Harry goes on his first real vacation, then comes home to find a new opportunity he'd never thought he'd have...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Harry - Published: 2005-05-18 - Updated: 2005-05-18 - 2843 words

1Ambiance
DISCLAIMER: See Ch. 1.

Note to those of you who have read Angels and Demons by Dan Brown: Anything in this seem familiar? (Please don't give anything away if you do know!)



CHAPTER 11: VACATION AND RECONCILIATION

The week before Ginny's birthday was spent looking for the right place to go, making the reservations, and preparing to go there. In the end, they decided to go to Italy, or to Rome more specifically. Even Hermione was invited along, and attracted by the intellectual appeal the city had to offer, she eagerly accepted.

The house was a fuss as they all packed, getting ready to go. They would be leaving on August 7th, and return on the 12th, a day after Ginny's birthday. They would also be staying in one of the best hotels in Rome. The Weasleys, who had never had the money they deserved, were making up for the years of near-poverty now.

Everyone was talking about what they were hoping to see when they got to Rome: Percy and Hermione were both thinking about visiting historic sites like the Coliseum, while the Weasley twins were hoping to peddle some of their goods to the locals.

Ginny, for whose birthday they were going, was just interested in seeing the sites and going someplace new. Harry had never really gone on vacation before, and he was still nervous about the whole experience.

"It's nothing to worry about, Harry, honestly," Ginny reassured him. "If you could fight against Voldemort and all his minions, then spending less than a week in a beautiful city should be nothing to worry about."

"Heh, at least I have something normal to worry about..." Harry replied with some humor.

Ginny cupped his face in her hands and looked his directly in the eye. "Screw norms, Harry; just be yourself."

"Easier said than done," he replied, taking her hands in his.

"Still worth trying to do," Ginny countered.

"Whatever," Harry said with a shrug. "Philosophical argument over. Commence snogging."

Fifteen minutes later, both of them straightened out their clothes and got back to packing.



Rome was a marvelous experience for the entire traveling entourage. In addition to enjoying all the famous sites scattered throughout the city that was once the head of the Roman Empire, the Weasleys and company also explored the magical places scattered across this magnificent city. While back in England, the stores were all clustered into alleys and villages, here the magical stores and other places were all scattered throughout Rome in no particular order or fashion.

When Ginny wasn't looking (or so they all thought), the others would pick out and buy things she showed and expressed interest in.

While in a clothing store, Harry saw Ginny's gaze linger on a creamy white robe with a golden sash. It looked like the kind of dress a goddess would wear.

As soon as Ginny was gone from the shop, Harry charged it to his vault and had it packed.



Harry and Ginny also found some ways to keep themselves occupied right at their own hotel (which was a luxurious Muggle hotel, for all those who were wondering).

Clad in a new pair of swim trunks, Harry propelled himself through the swimming pool. He was one of the only people there at that particular time on that particular day and he was enjoying the quiet and solitude. Everyone else was going on a tour around Rome (one which Harry and Ginny took by themselves the day before).

That is, until someone else showed up, and that only made things even better for him.

Turning around, he stopped when he saw Ginny on the side, wearing a beach robe and a knowing smile.

In one swift movement, the beach robe was lying on the empty chair behind her, and she now stood in a black two-piece swimsuit.

As for Harry's reaction... well, let it just be said that he had no objections whatsoever. Subconsciously, his eyes ran up and down her body, etching this in his memory for all time.

"You look absolutely beautiful," he said. "Well, are you going to jump in or not?"

"Bad choice of words, Harry." The next moment, there was a big SPLASH as a small wave got Harry in the face.

Shaking his head and chuckling softly, he followed her as they spent some time swimming around the pool.

At one point some time later, as Ginny popped her head up above water, she noticed she couldn't find Harry anywhere. "Harry...? Where - "

She looked up just in time to find Harry jumping in close to her, sending up a small wave in front of her face. As Ginny got her bearings again in time, she found herself being hugged from behind with her arms pinned to her sides. "Now we're even," Harry whispered in her ear as she was caught in his bear hug.

Both of them were excited by such close contact, and both of them knew it. Gently extricating herself from his embrace, Ginny turned around and wrapped her arms around Harry, her face mere inches from his. "As much as I'm enjoying this," she whispered, "I think we ought to continue this in another time and place..."

"Which I look forward to," Harry said with a smile, not showing a sign of disappointment.

Both of them got back to their rooms, washed up, and changed before the others came back, but even during dinner, both of them communicated through eye contact alone across the table.



Ginny woke up on the morning of her birthday, still caught in the dream that Harry was in bed next to her and they had their arms around each other. As she woke up, her dream melted into reality: She was hugging a spare pillow.

'Darn it,' she thought with a sigh. 'Ah well, we'll get that far sooner or later...'

With a yawn and a quick stretch, she got up and saw a small gift lying at the foot of her bed. Picking it up, Ginny opened it to find a small doll of herself. With a small suspicion in mind, she squeezed it, and it turned into a cute Bengal Tiger.

'Thanks, Luna,' she thought with a smile as she squeezed it again to change it back.

A deep purr across the room, and Ginny looked around to see an African lion with a lightning bolt on its forehead trot up to her.

"Cute kitty," she commented while scratching him behind the ears, eliciting a few more purrs. Harry transformed back and presented her with his gift.

"Happy birthday, Ginerva," he said, her full first name naturally rolling off his tongue.

Intrigued, Ginny opened it. Seeing its contents, she gave a small gasp of delight. It was the beautiful dress she was eyeing a few days before in that shop.

"It's beautiful, Harry," she said, gently putting it back in its box and hugging him.

"So are you, you know," he whispered, kissing her.

Ginny looked back up at him with an almost pouting expression on her face. "You call that a kiss? Come on, you can do better than that."

The next moment, Harry found himself being dragged down onto the bed next to his girlfriend.

About ten minutes later, both of them decided to stop things before they got out of control. With a wink, Harry turned into a phoenix and fire-traveled back to his own room before anyone suspected anything.

Ginny giggled a little. 'He can be quite the romantic when he wants to be.'



Breakfast was an excited affair for Ginny as her family and friends kept wishing her well. Later that afternoon, they would enjoy themselves in Rome's equivalent of Diagon Alley.

It turned out that there were also street performers that day in the alley of magical shops, and so for an hour or so, the Weasleys, Harry and Hermione watched the amazing acrobatic stunts, combined with the magic which the performers used on themselves for added effect.

A sumptuous dinner in a fancy restaurant followed, and even Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny were allowed some wine for the occasion. A few musicians also played their instruments as they dined. As Harry and Ginny sat next to each other, they held each other's hand under the table.

After the excellent dinner, all the Weasleys went off to their own devices while Harry and Ginny were finally able to get a moment alone.

"You know what really helped make this birthday special?" Ginny asked him coyly.

"What would that be?" Harry asked.

"You."

Much kissing and making out ensued.


The time which Harry spent with Ginny in Rome had been among the happiest times in his life. In fact, he was in such a good mood when he returned that it was hardly ruffled by an unusual piece of mail that was waiting for him at the Burrow.

Opening it up, he saw a short note which was very to the point.

Harry,

You probably never expected to ever get something from me in the mail, but there are things I want to talk to you about. I'd list them here, except I don't think that would be a smart thing to do.

Sincerely,
Dudley

Harry blinked repeatedly, and even pinched himself on the arm to make sure this was real. Convinced that it was reality a moment later, he sat down, wondering what to do.

Eventually, he came to a conclusion as to what he should do.



Two days later, Harry was sitting in the park in Little Whinging, waiting for Dudley to come. He had spent the last two days finishing his stay at the Burrow; after this, he would be going back to Snape Manor.

Soon enough, Dudley Dursley was walking up to Harry, looking unlike how Harry had ever seen him before. He had lost a considerable amount of weight, and had a serious look on his face.

"'Lo, Harry," he said in a flat voice, sitting down on the bench next to Harry.

"Hi, Dud," Harry said. "What is it you wanted to talk to me about?"

"I really can't think of any better way to say this, so..." Dudley trailed off before putting pausing and collecting himself. "I'm sorry. For everything."

Harry heard, but he didn't believe.

"Um..."

"Yeah, I know, you didn't expect it coming from me. Believe me, I've had lots of time to think and go over everything I've ever done, and... well... I know I can't just undo the past fifteen or so years, but I just want to find some way to fix things. Anything."

Harry collected his thoughts before thinking of how to reply. "I really don't know what to say, other than... well, first of all, what brought this on?"

Dudley explained with the dementors, which Harry was mildly surprised by (he had guessed as much, with Dudley's worst memories being harmed by magic), but what really threw Harry for a loop was when Dudley explained about somehow having visions of Harry's trials and struggles, or when he was in prison or under Voldemort's control.

By the end of it, Harry could only stare blankly at his cousin.

"How...?"

"I have no bloody idea either, believe me," Dudley said exasperatedly, running a hand through his hair.

"I'll have to ask Dumbledore how it's possible. Forgive me for saying it, Dudley, but... maybe you have some sort of magic."

"Erm..." Dudley stammered, eyes darting around as if trying to be alert for something. "Funny you should mention that..."

Discretely, Dudley took out something that Harry thought he'd never see in his cousin's possession.

A Hogwarts letter.

"You remember that one morning when Dad sent me to check the mail so you couldn't?"

A moment later, Harry's brain felt like it was working again.

"I've never opened it," Dudley confided in him. "I've been afraid, even after I changed my views on... /magic/... heck, it's still hard for me to say that 'M-word,' as my parents call it."

"And what do you want to do now?"

Dudley shrugged helplessly.

"You may want to open it... even if it's been six years since you got that acceptance letter, it's better that you open it than never at all..."

"Let's take this elsewhere, I think..."

Going to a very secluded area with lots of trees and shade, Harry and Dudley made sure no one else was around before the latter opened up his letter.

Dudley read over, a confused look on his face. Taking a look at it himself, Harry saw that it looked like a typical Hogwarts acceptance letter.

"It's a typical Hogwarts acceptance letter, Dud... even mine looked like this..."

"Hm," was all Dudley could say in response, which was simply an acknowledgement to Harry's statement.

After a moment of silence, Dudley then asked, "So... how is it I could see past events as well as events as they were happening?"

Harry didn't know what to say, but as he thought about it, he remembered that happening too...

"I remember going through things like that before," Harry finally said. "Maybe there's something that runs in our mums' side of the family... I'll have to ask my Headmaster about it, since he might know."

"Will you keep in touch with me?" Dudley asked.

'This day is getting weirder and weirder,' Harry thought to himself. "Sure, of course I will."

Taking back the letter and stowing it away, Dudley composed himself before saying, "Look, Harry... I know I haven't been the nicest person in the world for most of my life. I have no idea what to say or do now, except... well, I just want to fix things. I know my parents were mean and such to you, and yet, at the same time, they also messed me up, only completely differently."

For a moment, every last memory of what Dudley had done to Harry flashed through his mind. And yet, somehow, Harry was able to deal with it all.

Harry looked into those blue eyes his cousin had, and could feel the emotion and sincerity which Dudley had. That sealed it.

"Agreed." Harry shook hands with Dudley, and with a small grin, Harry bade farewell and left.

Dudley walked back to his house, feeling as though a large weight had been lifted off of him.

Harry, in the meantime, couldn't help but keeping thinking about his newfound tendency to come to reconciliation with former rivals.



A few days later, back in Rome, a blond girl around the age of sixteen years old with perpetually wide eyes and a dazed air wandered around the city of Rome.

Conspiracies had run rampant for centuries about that group called the Illuminati. Theories had gotten so out of hand that there about as many of them as stars in the nighttime sky.

Being the intellectual crusader that she was, Luna Lovegood looked for the truth. While gazing at the famous Castle St. Angelo, the eccentric Ravenclaw was deep in thought.

'Perhaps Ginny and her friends and family knew or found something while they were here in Rome last week? Nah, I think they would have told me if that were the case... Ah well, I'm sure it's around here somewhere...'

As she walked back to where her father was waiting (he was currently flipping through a book about sculptors such as Michelangelo and Bernini), Luna knew the truth was around there somewhere...



TBC...

A/N: In regards to the Harry/Ginny flirting... I was trying to do my best to show the intimacy of their relationship without going to far and into too much detail. Besides, I've seen them get away with much, MUCH naughtier in other PG-13 (or now T-rated) fics.

Also, sorry I'm not updating this much, except I felt at one point as though I lost interest in this story (GASP!). Still, I want to get to a certain point in this story at least, since I want to introduce something in this before I introduce it in NoF.

Next chapter is Harry's seventh and final year at Hogwarts in a nutshell... -Quillian



Sigh...

I miss the good old days. The days of writing HoG and feeling like I was on a roll. The days when I got about 50 reviews for each new chapter. The days when I actually felt into this story arc.

The days when I didn't have to put up with certain so-called people who seemed out for my blood over fanfiction, of all things.

Yup, those were the days.

Sorry, but my interest in this Gryffindor cycle hasn't been the same. Could be college, could be growing pains, I dunno. Please, bear with me, because I really hope I can get this done.


Sign up to rate and review this story