Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Harry Potter and the power of Oa

chapter 23: Champions

by bluminous

Can you find steve martin's line?

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Crossover,Humor,Romance - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2009-05-22 - Updated: 2009-05-23 - 9762 words

?Blocked
Harry Potter and the Power of Oa
By: Bluminous


A/N: I don’t own Harry Potter or Dc comics…
Or macros/Robotech… Sorry I just love the F14 design and I couldn’t help it.
F-22 raptor eat my vapor trails.
And now to the story.



Chapter 23: The Champions


November 4
Dumbledore’s mobile office, The Dragon, Beauxbatons

“You understand don’t you Neville? I kept on training you… guiding you. I managed to give you the best and brightest tutors available.” Dumbledore said as he paced his office, agitated. He wondered who had managed to tamper with the Goblet, his weapon was in danger.

“Yes Professor… I learned new and wonderful things… it’s fun.” Neville said.


“Fun? I did not direct all these resources just so you can have fun! I did them so that I can equip you with the necessary tools to survive!” Albus faced his student. “You must realize Neville that your life is in danger!”


“I don’t understand…” Neville stammered.
Albus closed his eyes and struggled to calm his breathing. “You must stop hiding in the shadows… hiding from your fears. These tasks for the tournament are not to be trifled with. Stand up! Be proud!”


“I’m not the smartest and brightest…” Neville replied weakly.

“Stop making excuses! You have the potential to be powerful, you are the son of Alice and Frank, great Aurors themselves!” Albus said. “You’re only problem is you are not applying yourself… you’re not taking this seriously enough!”


“Lord Voldemort is after you…I told you this and he used the binding magical contract of the Goblet to lure you in… hoping that you will fail and perish… and I will not allow that!” Dumbledore thundered. “Sooner or later Neville I will not be there to protect you, I only ask that you stand up for yourself and show the courage the sorting hat saw in you.”


“No!… you’re the most powerful wizard!” Neville wailed, the concept of Dumbledore not being there was unthinkable in his naïve young mind. Who would defend him against Voldemort if the Headmaster is gone? Himself?


“I am getting old Neville.” Dumbledore smiled. “I think subconsciously that you believe what your grandmother Augusta told you… that you did not inherit her son Frank’s power, or the brilliance of your mother Alice…but she’s wrong. I remember when she was at school, she can’t even charm her way out her OWLS.”


“My Grandmother?” Neville’s eyes widened at this interesting piece of information.


“Yes. She was good at transfiguration, but lacked the skills in charms. Your fellow champions are exceptional wizards and witches, and you must compete against them. This will be difficult, but I know you can do it.” Albus said.


“You really think so Professor?” Neville’s eyes widened in hope. Of all the crap he had gone trough his young life, this was his chance to excel. Perhaps Ron Weasley and his grandmother aren’t right all the time. He could be better. Neville’s determination grew as he looked hopefully at Albus Dumbledore.


“Yes… so stop putting yourself down… start believing… don’t think you can do it… know that you can” Albus said seriously and held out his hand, his fingers beckoning Neville to stand up. “Believe… you’re… the one.”


“Whoa”

“Yes… do you think that’s air you’re breathing now?”


“Uhh yes?” Neville sniffed the air. He knew if he farted, and had taken a bath this morning.


“You’re right, and that’s the point, because you know… Now I have asked Minerva to fill in for me in my duties for two weeks. Meanwhile, let’s get back to basics…” Albus flicked his wand. “Dueling basics… we need to work on your stance and wand movement. What had Sirius taught you?”


***********

Transfiguration Classroom, Seventh Year. Beauxbatons.



Harry had used the opportunity to attend any class he wished and attended the Transfiguration Class with Fleur. At first the professor and the seventh year students were surprised, but Harry soon proved to them that he was more than capable in keeping up with the class.


“Monsieur Wayne, can you transfigure this wooden stick into a sword?” Madame Giselle asked the sit in student in French.


Harry nodded and walked to the desk. Non verbal incantations were required and in the class, and Harry flicked his wand in a slash motion downwards and a twist in the end. The wooden sword shifted and a rapier with a n ornate silver hilt and guard. The class applauded at the complicated magic, turning wood into metal was always hard.


“Excellent! Fleur?” Madame Giselle smiled. Their class had been exciting since the Hogwarts champion started sitting in on their Transfiguration class. The seventh years of course did not want a fourth year to outperform them, and they started working harder in the practical exercises.


A friendly rivalry also started with Fleur and Harry, as they kept on pushing each other in Transfiguration, while the class cheered their own champion. The students also developed an admiration and grew to respect the fourth year, they now knew why he was a Triwizard Champion.
Fleur smirked at Harry and with much more flare she transfigured the other wooden sword. This time in shifted into a saber, it was not as ornate as Harry’s but it was still impressive.


“Excellent! See class? It’s all in the twist at the end, and remember, visualization and belief is the key.” Giselle stopped as a student knocked on the door of her classroom.


“Yes?” Madame Giselle asked pleasantly as she looked at a young girl that looked like a third year.


“Madame Olympe sent me Mademoiselle, she wants the Hogwarts Champion and our own to head to the Grand Hall for the wand weighing ceremony.” The young girl said.


“Of course… Monsieur Wayne? Fleur? You are excused for the rest of the class, but do not forget the essay for element transfiguration. You may go.” Madame Giselle smiled at the two. She needed to talk to Madame McGonagall later to discuss her brilliant student, his skills will be wasted if he continued on fifth year Transfiguration subjects for the next year.


She was at first skeptical with Minerva’s proclamation that the young champion was a prodigy. But when she saw him in action, she was a believer. The boy had that rare gift of natural aptitude in transfiguration, and the boy was performing beyond Newt level Transfiguration!


Harry and Fleur stood up and swung their bags to their shoulders and left the room while their classmates cheered them on. As the two champions entered the grand hall, they found themselves assaulted by the French Media and other international correspondents.
“Monsieur Wayne! Why do you think the Goblet of Fire picked you?”


“Harry! Do you feel intimidated that the Beauxbatons champion and Dursmstrang champion are older than you?”


“Mr. Wayne! Do you feel that Neville Longbottom cheated to get in the tournament?”


“Monsieur Wayne! Are the rumors true that you and Beauxbatons champion are engaged a torrid love affair?”


“And Mademoiselle Delacour, what is your reaction when they called you a cradle robber?”

The last statement caused Harry and Fleur to look at each other and after a moment they both burst out in laughter. They just smiled and waded through the reporters and photographers until they reached the cordoned off area for the champions.


Harry looked around and saw four chairs arranged to face the rest of the grand hall. A middle age man with a long mustache stood at the side with Madame Olympe and a few officials and dignitaries. Viktor was already there, talking with some reporters from Bulgaria while Neville stood beside Dumbledore.


“Excellent, the Hogwarts Champion and our very own Beauxbaton Champion have arrived. Champions, please be seated. After Monsieur Villard, our expert in Wandcraft examine your wand, there will be a thirty minute press conference with the champions.” Olympe said as she smiled at the camera.


“The Wand Weighing ceremony ensures that a champion’s wand is in working order, Monsieur Villard, France’s foremost expert in Wand Lore .” Olympe finished and sat down, giving the floor to the wand crafter.


“First, Mademoiselle Fleur Delacour Champion of Beauxbatons, your wand please.” Villard said as the general noise and chatter died down.


“Ah yes, rosewood and veela hair, 11 inches. Do you know the Veela that has the hair in the wand? I know the wandcrafter’s signature, Crevuz made this.” Villard said as he inspected the wand.


“My Grandmama’s. Clemence of the south coven.” Fleur said proudly.


Villard nodded and flicked the wand and a bouquet of pink and white roses emerged from the tip. He gave the flowers to Fleur and said “In good working order.”


“Monsieur Harry Wayne Champion of Hogwarts, your wand please.” Villard turned to Harry.


Harry stood up and flicked his wrist and the wand appeared in his hand. He gave the wand to the Wandcrafter, wondering how he would answer the man’s questions. He knew the wand contained his hair, and a wood from an elder tree that Dr. Fate had.


“Curious… I have not seen a wand made of the elder tree in years. Exact12 inches… Very few used the wood for their wands, as they tend to be very picky… I do not recognize the core… it is a hair…” Villard frowned and turned to Harry.


“What creature provided the hair for your wand core?” Villard asked.


Harry looked around thinking of a possible explanation. He spotted a familiar reporter and he smiled as inspiration struck. “It’s from a Crumple Horned Snorcack.” Harry replied.


“Crumpy what? I must confess I do not know the creature.” Villard said.

“They’re very rare, and hard to catch…” Harry replied.

“Very well… who crafted your wand? I do not recognize the style.” The wand crafter asked.

“Bobby. Bobby Fayt the wandmaker from America.” Harry replied as his mouth twitched in amusement.

“I must confess I never heard of him.” Villard said. He flicked the champions wand and a transfigured a chair into a puppy. “In good working order.”

The wand ceremony continued on with Viktor Krum. The wandcrafter recognized Gregorovich as the wandmaker for Viktor’s wand and made bats come out of the Quidditch Star’s wand. He turned to Neville and instantly recognized it as Ollivander’s, and made a fountain of wine come out of Neville’s wand. After proclaiming that all wands were in excellent working condition, the Champions prepared for the press conference.

It was grueling, as several reporters from France Britain, and Bulgaria asked question after question. Several reporters from America were also present, and they were mostly proud of an American Citizen participating in the prestigious tournament.

An irritating reporter, Rita Skitter of the Daily Prophet was malicious in her questions. She clearly targeted poor Neville of being unworthy compared to the other champions, and listed of Harry’s accomplishments to insinuate that although the Hogwarts champion was young, he could very well compete with his older counterparts.

Thankfully Madame Olympe stopped the conference after exactly thirty minutes, and the champions were led to a private room to have a peaceful early lunch with their teachers.


************


Harry was playing a game of catch with Viktor on the beach while Daphne, Angelina and Alicia looked at shells on the sand. The three were trying to make necklaces made out of the beautiful purple and white shells that littered the shore. Viktor usually hung out with Harry as he found the boy’s humor to be funny, and it was a refreshing change to the dark atmosphere at the ship. Harry was also a brooder when the mood hit, and Fleur, Hermione and Daphne would often see the two boys wearing frowns, lost in their thoughts.


“Harry!” Hermione marched towards the groups, with Fleur, Jocelyn and Isabel behind her. Harry looked at her and dropped t he quaffle he transfigured from a log to the ground.


“Yeah? What’s up?” Harry asked.


“I can’t believe the Daily Prophet! It’s a joke compared to its international counterparts! They’re making completely fabricated rumors about you!” Hermione gave an issue of the Daily prophet to Harry. “Luna mailed it to me, after I asked for a copy along with the quibbler.”


Harry looked at the front page and frowned. What the hell?


Harry Wayne Darling of the Tournament, a celebrity in the muggle world!


By: Rita Skeeter


The tall and handsome Hogwarts Champion, Harry Wayne smiles as he politely answers the questions from reporters. The TRUE champion of Hogwarst will represent Britain against older and more experienced champions. But do not be deterred reader, after a bit of investigating, this reporter learned that the boy is quite the genius, speaks fluent French and he attends seventh year transfiguration classes… and excels, showing his older French classmates what Hogwarts education is all about by performing beyond newt level transfiguration of a wooden sword to a beautiful rapier.


Harry Wayne appeared in the papers two years ago when exposed the fraud Gilderoy Lockhart, who is now languishing in Azkaban for fraud and perpetuator of unspeakable acts to our beloved students. Last year, Harry Wayne caught the traitor to the potters, Peter Pettigrew thus clearing the name of Sirius Black. It is now wonder that he is a champion of the prestigious Triwizard Tournament.


The Ravenclaw fourth year is usually seen with the beautiful French champion, Fleur Delacour. Rumors of a budding romance blossomed in the lovely gardens of Beauxbatons.


After interviewing some Beauxbatons, Durmstrang and Hogwarts students, this reporter has learned that several female students have fancied the quiet and handsome young man. A muggle born student from France said that Mr. Wayne is also quite famous in the Muggle World.
He is the heir of the second largest Muggle Fortune in the world. Yes ladies, Harry Wayne is rich! Better hurry as it looks like he and Fleur Delacour would start negotiations for a Betrothal Contract! We cannot let Britain’s favorite son to sow his seeds with foreigners!
Minister Fudge recently announced a statement about the young champion, and there are talks of giving the American born wizard citizenship…



Harry Wayne, Culinary Extraordinaire?


By: Rita Skeeter


Yes, that is right ladies! Harry Wayne the champion of Hogwarts for the Triwizard Tournament, can cook! He has a huge following in the muggle and wizard world, as this reporter has learned. Mrs. Weasley, of the Burrow, showed me the young man’s published cooking book. Mrs. Weasley has shown me through a muggle pensieve like device recorded performances of the young man’s cooking skills. And let me tell you these, ladies, his show will make your mouth water from the delicious dishes he prepares and your heart beat as he looks at you with those gorgeous green eyes!

This reporter has learned that….


Dumbledore defends Neville Longbottom: He did not cheat!


By: Rita Skeeter


Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster of Hogwarts earlier today defended Neville Longbottom of cheating to become a champion to join the prestigious Triwizard Tournament. Neville Longbottom’s name was called after all three champions from Hogwarts, Beauxbatons and Durmstrang were called.
“This is a plot by forces against the light to kill the scion of the Longbottom house. The Longbottom House is known as a strong supporter of the light and the Ministry .”
Some critics believe Dumbledore himself conspired with Longbottom so that the boy will be chosen as a champion. Others however believe that Longbottom is innocent.
“My niece who is part of the contingent in Beauxbatons told me of Neville Longbottom’s expression when he was called to join the other champions. He was surprised and shocked.” Madame Bones, director of DMLE said and added a curious remark.
“I am however concerned that Albus Dumbledore is once again meddling in another boy’s life, trying to control him. We all know of his previous victim, little Harry Potter, may he rest in peace.”


Madame Bone’s statement is thought provoking. What if it is true and this is all part of some nefarious scheme?


“This is bad… how did that reporter Rita Skeeter scoop this all up? It’s only three days since the press conference!” Harry exclaimed.


“She is known to us Quidditch players to be quite the reporter… she makes up intrigues within us, and we don’t know how but she digs deep and writes what should have a private matter. What happens in the locker rooms, she knows and that’s impossible” Viktor said as he asked for the paper and began to read it.


“We have to be more careful now Harry with what we say… and our actions.” Hermione said as she gave a meaningful glance to Fleur and Daphne. The two nodded, indicating that they understood what she meant.


“I know… from now on, perimeter wards, and silencing charms if we are talking about important topics, got it?” Harry asked. The three girls nodded in agreement.


“You cook?” Viktor asked in amusement as he finished reading the paper.
**********


Flying insanely, Earth Orbit


“WHOOOO HOOOO!” Harry shouted over the piercing shriek of the engines. “This is great!”


“I know Harry! You said it a hundred times already! Now quit showing off and land!” Kara’s voice said from intercom. Harry was testing the latest model of the latest fighter currently in development. It still did not have the paint for decoration, but it still looked wicked, as the modified F 14 version 3 swooped across support satellite base 3.


Harry gunned the thrusters and the prototype’s engine nozzles shifted. The experimental fighter turned at a tight angle and Harry whooped in glee.


“Get your butt here Harry! Remember our date!” Kara shouted.


“On my way Kara” Harry said through the intercom. Still at maximum velocity, he gunned the reverse thrusters and the fighter’s robot legs detached and faced forward, and burst of exhaust came out from their ends. The fighter immediately decelerated and Harry guided it to the hangar.


He took off his helmet and looked down from his cockpit and saw Kara with her hands on her hips wearing a disapproving expression on her face. The technicians and scientists started attaching cables and instruments to the fighter as its engines slowly powered down. He noticed twelve men he did not see before among the technicians looking at the fighter in awe. Harry opened the cockpit and jumped down and walked to Kara.


“Sorry Kara… I just got caught in the excitement.” Harry said as he kissed his girlfriend.


“That’s fine… I just want to maximize our time together… that tournament you joined is really cutting on our quality time.” Kara said as she started to remove the instruments attached to Harry’s body to monitor the g forces her boyfriend experienced during the test run


“Get to the shower Harry, we have to make that reservation.” Kara said and her boyfriend nodded.

“Who are these guys?” Harry said as he walked past them while Kara walked on his either side.

“Sir!” the twelve men and women saluted Harry, and it surprised him. He saluted back and walked towards the private lockers with Kara.

“Who are those guys?” Harry asked again as he stripped his flight suit that had additional instruments to record his heart rate, blood pressure and breathing. He quickly removed them and he stripped of his undergarments and headed to the public shower.

“They’re the best pilots from around the world, they volunteered to be on the very first planetary space fighter squadron. Most of them are military pilots, and were lucky their governments allowed them to join the program.” Kara said as she looked at her boyfriend with appreciation. She couldn’t wait. This summer perhaps.

“Stop perving on me Kara. We both agreed that we will wait till I’m 15, right?” Harry asked as he turned around and faced Kara, while he used the strong pressure of the water to massage his back.

“As if you don’t look at me when I’m the one showering… and as your girlfriend I deserve some privileges.” Kara grinned, while Harry smirked as he turned off the water.

“Anyway those guys are called the Skull Squadron, they’re flying the VF variant 2 to help them prepare for the variant 3” Kara added.

“I like the name… VF for Veritech… who thought of that one?” Harry said as he walked towards the lockers as he finished from the shower. “It’s very appropriate name, since the prototype incorporates the variable wing geometry capability of the F14, and the integration of the robotic legs and arms into the superstructure.”

“I think the manufacturers did.” Kara said. “Wear the green shirt. And towel yourself first, you’re going get that silk shirt wet and ruin it.” Harry nodded and arrayed his clothes on the bench.

“So what about the first task? Do you have any idea about it?” Kara asked as she observed her boyfriend dress.
“Dragons… The French official said that we have to test our daring. You know I don’t like surprises. I saw Charlie Weasley and last night I followed him and his group. I saw them delivering the dragons stored in large crates.” Harry held two articles of clothing for Kara’s inspection, as she shopped for almost all his clothes anyway and is acknowledged fashion expert in their relationship.

“Boxers Harry. You know I don’t like briefs… Anyway isn’t that cheating in the tournament? And will you help Fleur?” Kara asked as she licked her lower lip.

“I prefer to call it preparation and planning. Fleur’s a champion, she can handle that and I’m confident she can move past whatever objective we have to accomplish. I’ll only step in if her life’s threatened.” Harry replied as he put on his slacks.

He quickly finished dressing and walked towards an amused Kara who had a naughty smile on her face.

“Let’s go love.” Harry hugged his girlfriend and they disappeared in a flash of green light.

*************
“We need more time…” Albus muttered. He gazed at Neville Longbottom who was lying on the ground, tired from the grueling training Albus had given him. Although the boy’s attitude gradually changed over the past few weeks, the boy still didn’t quite perform to his expectations.

Albus could honestly say Neville was a good wizard, and that he only lacked confidence. After applying himself, the headmaster was pleasantly surprised with the power of Neville’s spells if done properly. It took long hours to drill the spells into the boy’s head, but when it came to dueling and improvisation, things went downhill fast. The boy lacked common sense.

He was trying to encourage Neville to think and act strategically to prepare the savior for the first task.

“Neville, why did you not dodge my spell?” Albus asked.

“I thought I could deflect it with my wand like I saw you do it.” Neville replied.

“That takes years of practice… and we don’t have much time for that. We must stick to the basics, and you still need to master the spell for transfiguring a rock to a dog” Albus said.

“But that’s a NEWT level spell!” Neville replied. “I can only transform it halfway to a dog.”

“What did I told you about belief?” Dumbledore asked. “If you do not believe it is possible, obviously it will not work. Try again. Transfigure the rock while you evade my tickling hexes. Imagine my hexes as dragon fire, not once must you be hit. Understood?
“Yes Professor.” Neville stood up. He looked for a possible strategy and finally he thought of one. He remembered one of his grandmother’s friends had a small dog and he pictured it clearly in his mind.

“Begin” Dumbledore said and Neville began to jog around while the Headmaster fired tickling hexes at him. Neville concentrated and transformed the rock into a small dog and had it run around the Headmaster barking.

“Good. I will now stop firing curses as I am distracted by the dog, but watch out I may still hex you from time to time.” Albus said. “Now you should stealthily approach my position and retrieve the egg, and transfigure another rock if needed. How do you plan to move to my position?”

Neville had a great idea and as the small dog ran behind the headmaster it suddenly bit the old man’s lower leg. As Albus hopped on one foot to shake off the small dog, Neville dashed through and recovered the egg and returned to his position.

“I did it!” Neville yelled in jubilation. He grinned as he saw the headmaster was still distracted by the dog and he smiled, his idea was brilliant. It would work in the first task, that dragon was going to wish he never faced Neville Longbottom, and later the poor dragon did

*********

November 24, Beauxbatons Quidditch stadium

“Harry! Look your family’s here!” Hermione said as she pointed at the stands. Harry eagerly looked at where Hermione pointed and saw his Dad, Mum, Astraea, Zatanna and Kara waving at him.

“Are you going to see them before the first task starts? It’s about to start…” Hermione turned to look at Harry but the boy was gone. She looked around and spotted him running full sprint towards the stands. “I guess that answers it.”
“Let’s sit beside them, I want to play with Astraea, and I haven’t seen Kara in a long time.” Daphne suggested. The two girls hurried after Harry while Fleur and her friends moved towards her own family.

Hermione rushed past the large crowd and she and Daphne struggled past the crowded stairs. Finally she found Harry holding Astraea while the year and a half old baby cooed and pointed at the wondrous sights she saw.

“Did you miss big brother Harry?” Harry asked as he carried Astraea in his arms. His baby sister looked at him and said “Ha wee” in an extremely cute voice.

Harry gasped and his eyes widened, he smiled and kissed his sister who giggled and grabbed his hair. “Astraea! You said my name! Did you hear that Kara? Astraea said my name!”

Diana smiled and replied. “She said her first word a month ago honey, and we wanted to surprise you. Kara’s been teaching her to say your name.”

“What was her first word?” Harry asked eagerly.

Diana smiled and said proudly “Mama, she called me when I was making her breakfast to call my attention.”

“Then our little princess said shortly after that the word ‘da’” Bruce said as he placed his arm over his wife’s shoulder. His princess was growing up!

“Astraea’s quite the talkative baby aren’t you?” Kara said as she tickled the baby’s foot. Astraea gurgled happily as she clutched with her tiny fists Harry’s Tournament robes that the Champions wore for the task.

“Thanks Kara… and you my precious baby sister... thank you for the gift.” Harry kissed his sister gently on the forehead, and the surrounding female witches sighed at the tender moment.

“How did you get here?” Harry asked as he kissed his mom and hugged his dad with his free hand.

“Zatanna brought us. She informed the organizers that as the Champion’s family and friends, and we immediately got tickets.” Diana said as she looked at her son with pride. “We’re proud of you son, do your best.”

“I will mum.” Harry said as he sat beside Kara while Hermione and Daphne arrived and greeted the Wayne family, Zatanna and Kara.

“Thanks Zatanna, this really means much to me to have my family here.” Harry said to the League’s resident witch. Thankfully she was wearing ordinary witch robes and not her usual more revealing costume.

“It’s no problem Harry. You should see the excitement in the American Wizarding World, this is the first time an American Citizen has been chosen as a champion in the prestigious Tri Wizard Tournament.” Zatanna said as she ruffled Harry’s hair.

Hermione and Daphne sat beside Harry and Kara, eager to play with the Wayne heiress when a voice that sounded from the tent asked for the champions to head inside the tent.

“I’ll be back quickly.” Harry said. He kissed his sister and girlfriend and handed Astraea to Kara. Harry’s family bade him to take care, as hugs and kisses to the cheek passed around. Harry nodded and headed towards the stairs, full of spirit from the strong support from his family.

As Harry headed towards the Champion’s tent, he gazed towards the Arena. It was once the quidditch pitch, but it had been dug ten meters deep, and rocks and boulders jutted out from every direction. On the walls, four large doors stood next to each other, presumably where the dragons will come from. He noticed Fleur was walking beside him, also observing the arena.
“You know?” Harry asked his friend.

“Yes… Madame Olympe told me. Dumbledore told you didn’t he?”Fleur asked, surprised. She thought when her Headmistress told her it was part of the tournament, and the other champions were given the same privilege. It seemed her Headmistress was playing favorites and doing all she can for her champion to win.

“No… I found it out on my own.” Harry replied.

“It is good that you knew in advance… I do not wish to win when I have an unfair advantage.” Fleur said.

“Me too… the Highmaster told me about the task.” Viktor said as he joined them.

“Well that’s good, at least everyone has a fair chance.” Harry said.

They entered the tent and found Neville being given last minute instructions, while Karkaroff and Madame Maxime waited with the French ministry officials.

“Ah good, all four champions are finally here!” A fat man with a balding head approached them.

“Who is that?” Harry whispered to Fleur.

“That is Monsieur Devereux, Director of Magical games and sports” Fleur whispered back.

“Now, this first task will test your daring, quick thinking and agility. Your task is to recover a golden Dragon Egg from a clutching mother. We have prepared four dragons for each champion, A Norwegian Ridgeback, a Chinese Fireball, a Welsh Green and the Hungarian Sausage…” Devereux said.

“Monsieur… Hungarian Sausage?” Fleur asked for clarification.

“Oh! Pardon! I am hungry despite the sumptuous lunch earlier… Madame Olympe? Can you send some food on the judges table? Thank you.” Devereux said and turned to Fleur. “It’s actually a Hungarian Horntail. Very ferocious and has a bad temperament.

“In this bag you will draw an animated model of a dragon, representing the dragon you will face. In this other bag you will draw a number that will determine the order of when will you fight your dragon. Who wants to go first?” Devereux asked.

Harry placed his hand on the bag and felt small creatures moving inside. He grabbed one and pulled out his hand, revealing a miniature black dragon with tail spikes on its back and tail.

“The Hungarian Horntail…” Devereux said. He held the other bag and Harry drew a piece of paper… it was the number one. Held breaths of air were let out and Harry looked up to see Dumbledore, Neville and Karkaroff smiling in relief

Harry frowned as he reviewed his strategy, he will have to adjust some parts to compensate for the dragon he was going to face.

Fleur was next, and she drew the Norwegian Ridgeback. In the other bag, she drew the number two.

Neville drew the Welsh Green, and drew the number 3 slot, while Krum got the Chinese Fireball and knew he was fourth.

“Excellent! I will now inform the Dragon keepers of the order. Good Luck Champions!” Devereux said.

Karkaroff, Madame Olympe and Dumbledore also left and headed for the judges table.

“Thank you Harry. And Good Luck, although I knew you can accomplish this task easily.” Fleur said.

“Why thank me?” Harry asked as he inspected his clothes, and tightening what he deemed loose in the straps of his robes.

The Tournament Robes for the Champions were provided by the organizers. The robes were special, as they were made of dragon leather and high quality fabrics. It was a good design, as Harry found that it did not impede his movement much when he tested it.

The general design was similar for all champions, but the colors combinations were different. Viktor Krum wore a pattern of Red and black with the bird of prey pattern on his chest.

Fleur’s was a pattern of blue and silver, and Beauxbatons crest on her left chest. Harry’s robe was blue and bronze in honor of his house, and the Hogwarts’ coat of arms on his left chest. Neville did not represent Hogwarts and he only wore the coat of arms of Gryffindor, his red and gold robes in honor of his house.

“I am thanking you for taking on the most aggressive and dangerous dragon.” Fleur teased.

A voice was heard outside and it was in English. It sounded similar to the announcers in boxing before a fight.

“Wizards and Witches…. Ladies and Gentlemen…. All manner of creatures… in the champions corner outside near the tent… representing Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry… standing five foot nine, and weighing…"


“Hmff, even you can handle that dragon Fleur. It looks like I’m up” Harry stood up and he schooled his features to concentrate himself. He looked at Fleur and nodded and headed outside to meet an excited crowd and an extremely agitated mother Dragon.


***********
“Is it me or did he just look scary just then?” Viktor asked. He remembered Wayne’s eyes, and they spoke of confidence… and power. It looked like the eyes of a man who will be facing an ant, or a Quidditch professional facing down a first year student in a quidditch school team. “And you seem very confident that he will handle the task easily.” Viktor observed as he looked at Fleur.


“I am confident that he can easily accomplish this task...” Fleur said as she walked towards the viewing area to watch her friend with Viktor right behind her. “…because he is the best.”
**********


“HERE IS HAAARRYYYYY The SCARYYY WAAAAAYNNNNNNEEEE!!!”

A roar buffeted Harry’s ears as he stepped out of the tent. He noticed that the Hungarian Horntail was watching the crowd with suspicion as she guarded her clutch jealously. The mother dragon, who wastied to the ground by a good length of chain had spread out her wings to protect the eggs, as her motherly instincts went into overdrive. Harry noticed the chain was long, enough for the horntail to take flight but not to long enough to reach the people in the stands.

Dragon keepers stood at the very edge of the arena, ready to step in at a moment’s notice.


The arena looked bigger as Harry stood near the edge. At the very center of the arena was a stone plateau almost 50 feet high in some areas as it angled downwards to the other side. On that 50 foot plateau was the nest, and Harry’s objective.


Harry had two routes then, scale the 50 foot wall or use the longer route that had a gentle slope, but it would take longer and he would have to negotiate through the body and face the impressive tail.


Harry stepped forward and he focused… and soon the roar of the crowd and the voice of the commentator died down as his concentration increased. Harry moved and the Nestling Horntail noticed him and spouted of fire in warning to back off. But Harry was not fazed and continued on and as he neared the edge he took a run and jumped straight to the air.


He landed a good fifteen feet on top of a boulder, and he jumped again as he saw fire rushing towards his position. He ran closer to the mother dragon and it stood up as a threat was approaching her clutch.


Harry was getting near, only 50 feet away from the dragon, and he jumped on the top of the boulders to avoid the fire and the occasional swipe of the tail. As he reached the peak of his jump from the highest boulder near the dragon, he twisted in the air and flicked his wrist. Harry’s wand immediately launched to his grip and he immediately sent four consecutive spells at the four closest boulders.


Harry landed on the face of fifty foot wall, nearly halfway to the top. He looked back to see his handy work and grinned in satisfaction. This was fun! The four boulders he hit had transfigured themselves into wyrens, the natural enemies of the Dragons as they are known to prey on smaller hatchlings or ravage unprotected nests.
The Horntail grew even more furious as it longed to kill these threats to her clutch, and completely focused her attention to the four wyrens. Meanwhile Harry continued to make good progress as he sheathed his wand and climbed the rock face.


In seconds he was near the top of the rock face just feet from the Horntail, Harry used his wands again and sent commands to his transfigured creations. The four wyrens acted more aggressively as they leapt towards the Mother Horntail and back again, drawing her away from her clutch.


The Horntail mother’s reaction was fierce as she savagely destroyed one wyren who got near with the swipe of her tail, and it exploded into rubble as the spell ended. The other two quickly followed to their rocky ends as they strayed too near and got roasted by the Horntail’s deadly dragon fire. The mother moved forward, intent on finishing the fourth one as she felt safer to leave the nest. As she pursued the fourth wyren Harry pulled himself up on the cliff and grabbed the Golden Egg among the clutch of the mother Horntail. He watched in fascination as the Horntail destroyed his last creation and turned back to the nest and spotted Harry. It roared, enraged and flew towards him.


“Uh oh” Harry laughed and he ran towards the slope of the other side of the stone plateau. As the Dragon quickly caught up with him he nimbly danced and avoided every strike and burst of fire by moving always on the nick of time. He loved the feeling of excitement as he moved through the peak of his jump. Soon he was out of reach of the dragon and he leapt at the edge of the arena.


He turned around and looked at the shocked faces of the dragon keepers. He observed his surroundings and he noticed the roar of the crowd and the commentator, who is talking nonstop.


“And look at this! Harry Wayne completed the task in twelve minutes! Amazing display of athleticism and transfiguration! One of the youngest champions has set the bar and it is a very tough act to follow! Let us now listen as the judges give their scores.”
Harry gazed at the Judges table high up in the stands. Madame Olympe flicked her wand and ribbon emerged from the tip of her wand and it formed a nine.

Igor Karkaroff frowned, but he gave Harry an eight.

Dumbledore smiled at him and gave him an eight.

Devereux gave him a ten.

“Harry Wayne of Hogwarts gets a 35 out of a possible 40 points. Incredible! And now let us wait as the dragon keepers remove the old Dragon and move the Norwegian Ridgeback and her clutch…”



“HARYYYY!!!!”

Harry turned and saw Kara running at a dead sprint towards him. He smiled and braced himself and opened his arms wide as he knew what Kara would do. He was right, as Kara jumped towards him from five feet and slammed into him. Harry used her momentum and spun them both as he hugged her, preventing both of them from falling.


Kara latched her legs on Harry’s waist and wrapped her arms around his neck. Harry immediately hugged her waist to support her girlfriend. “You were great Harry.” She said and Kara leaned closer to him and gave a sweet kiss on the lips.

The crowd gasped, some cheered and whistled at the very public display of affection. Reporters rushed towards them asking questions as the photographers kept on snapping pictures but Harry quickly walked towards the private box where his family sat. He wanted a good view so that he can watch and cheer Fleur on.


“How was I from your view?” Harry asked as they climbed the wooden stairs.


“Well at first I was relaxed you know? It’s just a dragon… then they brought that monster out… I realized that hey this thing can actually harm you! Bit you made it looks so easy, and I saw it in your face, you were smirking the whole time!” Kara said.


“It was fun I guess… the thrill and the excitement. Let’s hurry up, Fleur's about to start.” Harry said.


As the couple reached their private box, Harry was overwhelmed when Hermione, Daphne and his own mother hugged him all at the same time. Astraea fussed in her father’s arm and Bruce obliged her daughter and moved her closer to the hug pile. The little Wayne Heiress also hugged the pile, her small arms barely spanning her mother’s shoulders.


“Harry! That Dragon was dangerous! Hermione kept telling me that you were facing the most dangerous dragon in the world!” Diana said as she hugged her baby boy.


“I’m fine mum. Not a scratch…” Harry replied.

“Harry! You made it look so easy!” Hermione exclaimed.

“You did it. Good job.” Daphne added.

“Thanks Hermione, Daphne.” Harry said and he stood up pretending to look around.

“Now where is my princess? My baby sister Astraea? My treasured little sibling?” Harry said it loudly so that Astraea could hear his voice.

Astraea looked up and gazed at her big brother from her father’s arms. She raised her arms to say “here I am!” but her brother could not see her! She fussed as she thought of a way to gain his attention.

“HAA WEE!” Astraea said as she raised both her arms towards her big brother, her large blue eyes and face eagerly waiting for her brother to notice her.

Harry immediately smiled and leaned down to pick up Astraea. “There is my princess!” Harry exclaimed as he showered his sister with kisses. Astraea laughed and squealed but reveled in her big brothers attention.

“You two are very close.” Daphne observed the very heart warming scene. She missed her own sister Alana when she saw Harry’s antics.

“Of course we are. Right Astraea?” Harry looked at his baby sister. The baby girl looked back at her brother and said again “HAA WEE”

“See?” Harry said smugly.

************
20 minutes earlier:

“Is he nuts?” Viktor exclaimed as he watched the first champion leap forwards the dragon.
“Just Watch” Fleur said. “and Harry never runs headfirst, he always has a plan… of wow”

“He has excellent reflexes… he can be a good seeker.” Viktor observed the Hogwarts champion evade another burst of fire, it was amazing, it was like the boy had precognitive abilities. “He will be trapped if he continues like that, it’s a 50 feet wall. He should have used the slope at the end.”

“Don’t underestimate him… oh wow. That’s some bit of transfiguration.” Fleur breathed out. “And he did four spells while jumping in the air!”

“What is special with the spell?” Viktor asked.
“If you look closely, those Wyrens are not moving randomly.” Fleur observed. “I suspect Harry added some animation and time delay commands when he used that Transfiguration spell. Look at his face, the little bugger’s smiling, waiting for his transfigured wyrens to act.”

“Now I know why he is a champion.” Viktor observed.

“He made it look so easy, and he was the one that had the most disadvantage. I think he only knew that we were facing dragons, but not the specifics. My headmistress told me the nature of the first task. Did yours tell you the same?” Fleur asked as she saw Harry pluck the egg from an unguarded nest.

“He did.” Viktor said and he peered closer to get a better look at the Hogwarts champion as he was chased by a very angry Horntail mother. “Is… Is he laughing!?” He asked in disbelief.
**********

Present Time

“Introducing, the bell of the ball…. The hottest chick on the planet… she is the champion for Beauxbatons Academy of Magic… in the champions corner Standing 5’8 and weighing at a near anorexic 110 pounds… she loves wearing matching underwear....Here comes FLEUUUUUUURRRRR THE HEARTBREAKER DEEEEHHHLACOOOOUUURRR!!!!”

Fleur came out of the tent wearing a pissed off look as she gazed at the gallery looking for the announcer. It looked like she wanted to ram a veela fireball up the announcer’s ass. The gallery did not notice this as a large cheer erupted from the stands.

After whistling and clapping for Fleur Harry turned to Kara. “Did you happen to see the Commentator’s box?”

“You wanted to see who it is too? It was funny when he said Harry the scary Harry.” Kara said.

“He said that? Who is he?” Harry wondered. He looked for an official and found a woman he recognized as one of Madame Olympe’s staff.

“Mademoiselle? Can I have a moment” Harry asked in French.

The woman looked at the speaker and she was taken a back at who was talking to her. She immediately composed herself and smiled at the dashing young champion. “Of course Monsieur Wayne, What can I do for you?” She asked.

“I was wondering about who the commentator is?” Harry asked.

“There is supposed to be none, just a simple introduction of the champions by Monsieur Devereux. But someone stepped in and we are looking for the source. Any magic we tried did nothing to stop the voice from broadcasting.” The woman said.

“Thank you.” Harry smiled and the woman sat down in her seat looking around for suspicious persons who may have anything to do with the commentary.
Harry started looking around and spotted someone on the very back, whispering in his mouth. The man was all alone and looked to be on his early 30s or late 20s. He narrowed his eyes in suspicion, the man with blonde hair looked very familiar.

His observations were cut off when Kara grabbed his arm and shouted. “Look at Fleur!”

Harry looked at his fellow champion and smiled. Fleur was casting a complicated calming charm, and she used her veela heritage to amplify the source. The Norwegian Ridgeback aggressive stance changed, and the Dragon just stood there, confused.

Fleur smiled and twirled her hand in a graceful pattern and hundreds of small birds came out of her wand.

“Impressive, she modified the avis spell to have a more area effect. That girl knows her charms.” Harry observed.

The hundreds of birds surrounded the dragon, confusing it. The dragon was lethargic from the calming spell as it slowly attempted to bite the birds circling its head.

Fleur kept up the charm and she jogged towards the slope up the stone face. After a few minutes she reached the top and waved her wand, willing the hundreds and hundreds of small birds to surround the dragon.

The mother dragon stood up, as some of the birds even entered its nostrils and it kept on sneezing. Fleur quickly picked the golden egg and rushed outside as the Norwegian Ridgback mother was literally blinded.

As Fleur reached the edge of the Arena, she dropped her spell and the mother Dragon came to its senses and roared, roasting dozens of the small birds. With another flick of the Wand from Fleur, the hundreds and hundreds of multi colored birds vanished.

“Amazing display of the mastery of Charms from the Charming hot quarter Veela who has charmed her way into all our charmed hearts! Mademoiselle Fleur Delacour has completed the task in 16 minutes!”

The crowd cheered and whistled in appreciation of their champion. Fleur curtsied gracefully and looked up to the judges.

Madame Maxime gave her a ten.

Igor Karkaroff gave her an eight

Albus Dumbledore gave her an eight

And finally Devereux gave Fleur a ten.

Fleur grinned, she had gotten a score of 36!

“Fleur Delacour of France moves up ahead of Harry Wayne with 36 points! The hot blonde is on fire ahhhh!”

Fleur looked around, irritated at the commentator. She flipped her hair and saw her friends Isabel and Jocelyn running towards her. She locked gazes with Harry and the Wayne heir gave her a respectful nod, admitting he was bested.

That was better than any score and she beamed and headed towards her friends, giddy with her success. She had done her school and her country proud.

***********

“And what are you doing here Hermes?” Harry asked as he sat beside the messenger of the Gods.

“Uhhh… I’m on vacation!”

“You’ve been watching too much pay per view boxing again. That’s a waste of money.” Harry said. “Now what is this about Harry the scary Wayne?”

“Hey! The announcer’s style is really good! And since I had nothing to do and this event should have a commentator! Well you’re scary. You know it took many days for Ares to recover his strength after that fight?” Hermes said as he looked at his notes about Neville Longbottom.

“Seriously? Anyway watch out for Fleur, she’s mad. You’re doing a… unique job in commentating.” Harry grinned at the messenger of the gods and he stood up and headed back towards Kara and his family.

“Harry.” Hermes said.

“Yeah?” Harry turned around.

“You tell you Dogfather to stop flirting with my Hippolyta! Or Hades will have a new guard dog to the underworld.” Hermes said.

“Tell him yourself!” Harry laughed with amusement. His grandmother certainly has a long line of suitors, from gods to animagus ex convicts.
*********

“And Now… From Gryffindfor House…. Under the tutelage, guidance and manipulation of Albus lemon drops Dumbledore… weighing at 170 pounds… the man child of the hour, the master of disaster… the king of the universe! ….look out girls he hates to dine alone…. and he usually does… “NEVILLEEEEEEE THE MEAT GRINDER LOOOOONNNGGGBOTTOMMMMMMAAAHHH!!!”

Cheers erupted from the rousing introduction, while the judges looked around trying to find the commentator. Harry turned to look at Hermes and the god gave a thumbs up sign. Harry sighed and watched his fellow Champion and schoolmate curiously.

Neville stared and looked at the stadium filled with witches and wizards, he grew nervous and looked at the dragon. His eyes widened as he realized that it was a lot bigger than Albus Dumbledore… he stepped forward and the welsh green roared in warning. Neville gathered his Gryffindor courage and descended, to the arena floor. He took out his wand and pointed it to the few boulders beside him.

“Vera Canis!” Neville shouted and the rock transfigured into a cute small poodle. He made it run around near the stone plateau in the middle, and the Welsh green curiously followed it with its eyes. Neville spotted another boulder, this time nearer and transfigured it to another bigger Dog.

The Welsh Green stood up flew down from her perch and chased the two dogs, and Neville eagerly ran to the other side of the stone plateau like he saw Fleur did. He was tired from climbing up the slope, but he was excited that his plan seemed to be working. He quickly moved to the nest to grab the golden egg when the barking of the two dogs he transfigured seemed to stop.

He looked back to the last he saw the dragon chasing the two dogs. The mother Dragon was gone, and so were the two dogs he transfigured. Neville wondered where the dragon could be and decided to hurry up and bent down to pick up the gold egg.

The stone formation shook and Neville fell down on the ground and he fearfully looked back to see the Welsh green Dragon perched halfway up the cliff face, her massive head and two talons hanging on the edge of the cliff.

“GRRRRR”

Crouching on the ground, Neville saw a small boulder, the size of a lemon behind him. He transfigured it to a small dog and slowly looked back as the dog ran near the head of the Welsh Green.


The dragon’s eyes observed the small dog running near its talons and it narrowed its eyes as the dog bit into its front limb. The mother dragon absently flicked the dog and it flew to the air barking “yip yip yip!” before it transformed back into a rock and crashed to the ground.


She focused on the main threat, the bigger creature and opened her mouth, prepared to roast the human for daring to attempt to approach her nest.


Neville wanted to move, but he was paralyzed with dragon fear. He kept his head down, praying for Dumbledore to help him. He couldn’t think and he couldn’t breathe, his gut was tightening and he was stunned.


As the dragon opened her mouth, fire ignited on the roof of her mouth and she inhaled and prepared to release a flammable amount of gas her body stored. She was close to the human when…


“PFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTtttttttt….. Pft”


Neville lost control of his guts and farted, and from his position the deaqdly gas traveled at a deadly velocity, straight to the nestling mother’s mouth.
Unfortunately the Welsh Green’s mouth had already ignited with fire, and when the gas from Neville’s fart reached the flame it combusted.


The Welsh green coughed and choked as fire and gas suddenly engulfed her mouth and throat. She kept on scraping the taste and smell from her tongue with her talons and lost her perch on the cliff and fell. The dragon slammed on the ground and her head hit a boulder, knocking her out.


Neville’s eyes were still closed when he heard the cheer and he looked up and saw the students applauding him. Neville looked back and was surprised the dragon wasn’t there, ready to eat him.


The audience cheered although they were a bit confused, one moment the third champion to face the dragons was about to be roasted, and the next the Welsh Green suddenly lost her grip on the cliff and fell. No matter, the champion completed the task and the audience appreciated a good show.

Neville grabbed the golden egg, and peered over the cliff. The dragon was breathing, but it was unconscious. He saw Dragon keepers arriving on brooms and casting charms to check if the Welsh Green suffered any injury.


Neville grinned, he didn’t know what happened but he would take it! He raised the egg high and headed towards the edge of the arena near the Judges table.


“Incredibly disturbing! Neville Longbottom accomplishes the task in 34 minutes in a very convincing fashion, knocking his dragon out with his secret weapon! That gives a new meaning to silent but deadly!!!”


Neville looked hopefully to the judges who looked confused at what happened.

Madame Maxine gave him an eight

Karkaroff gave him a seven

Dumbledore gave him a ten!

Devereux gave him an eight!

“And Neville Longbottom gets a respectable 33 out of a possible 40! Good stuff… some nasty but good stuff overall”


******
“What happened?” Kara asked Harry who had been observing the scene closely.

“Trust me, you don’t want to know.” Harry eyed the fallen dragon that was currently being transported by a team of dragon keepers. Poor Dragon. He glanced back at his fellow champion smiling and celebrating with his Gryffindor housemates, that sure was a deadly attack.
********

Amazingly, Viktor scored the lowest with 32, as he used a very aggressive tactic on the Chinese Fireball Dragon. It was a Durmstrang trait to shoot first and think of the consequences later. Viktor sent a powerful Conjuntivitis Curse and blinded the Dragon.


Harry admitted it was a great shot, powerful and accurate, right between the eyes of the Mother Dragon. But the Fireball panicked and she trashed, crushing half of her eggs before falling off the stone structure and breaking one of her wings.


Viktor Krum accomplished the task in 15 minutes, but points were deducted from him for damaging the eggs. Overall its was a very exciting start to the TriWizard Tournament as the champions showed promise and even exceeded the expectations of most people. There was one thing that the people were sure off, this was going to be an exciting tournament, closely fought between the four champions.


There was Fleur Delacour, the favorite to win, and showed her skill in charms. She was the favorite of most and even some of the males in the other schools, the tournament’s darling.


Then there was the young Monsieur Harry Wayne, quiet but showed incredible grace and athleticism in the first task. He was the dark horse, and could possibly even win the tournament. He was supported by mostly the younger female students who fancied him and the muggleborns who recognized his face and his name.


There was Neville Longbottom, who was placed in the Tournament in a plot by someone who seeks him ill will as claimed by Albus Dumbledore. He used unknown and deadly magics to subdue his dragon, and the dragon keepers in Romania actually asked the spell from the young champion.


Then finally Viktor Krum, Quidditch superstar and the champion from Durmstrang. Many consider him to be Fleur’s closest Rival, and the greatest threat to a French victory of the Triwizard tournament. He was brutal, fast and efficient in his tactics.


All four champions had their own tactics and preferences, and the media hyped it up while people started gambling on their favorites. During the next task an announcement was made by the organizers that the Ministers of Magic of France, Bulgaria and Britain would arrive and personally watch the champions.


************
A/N: Comments? Suggestions? this is unbetad
Sign up to rate and review this story