Categories > Cartoons > X-Men: Evolution > Aftermath

CHAPTER 11

by Quillian 0 reviews

Cyclops' POV...

Category: X-Men: Evolution - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst, Drama - Characters: Cyclops - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-04-01 - Updated: 2006-04-01 - 794 words

0Unrated
DISCLAIMER: See the Prologue.

SPECIAL DISCLAIMER: See the Prologue.


CHAPTER 11

/You would think that I'd lost enough people in my life/, Scott Summers mused as he sat down next to Jean at the dinner table.

He couldn't help but notice a lot of empty seats which he felt should have been occupied.

"Cyclops" had taken his share of teasing from those he had led and instructed. A few times, he had even been accused of sing his position of leadership for the control it gave him (this coming mainly from more rebellious students like Evan or Bobby).

Not really true. He liked being the leader of the X-Men, but because he was able to lead and guide the others that way, not because he liked bossing them around.

Ever since he lost his family that night when their airplane went down, he felt truly horrible about losing them, and especially failing to protect his younger brother, Alex. When Professor Xavier took the orphaned Scott in as his first mutant student and gave him his codename, Scott vowed to himself that he wouldn't let anyone lose to him be lost like that again. Even after he found out that Alex was alive and was reunited with him again, Scott still kept his vow to protect those close to him.

When the mansion was bombed by Stryker and his minions, all those traumatic memories vividly came back to haunt him... and his failure to protect those he was meant to protect.

And yet... all was not lost, however. With help from their former enemy Magneto, he was able to save his brother again, and not lose him a second time.

Speaking of former enemies, one thing which Scott still marveled about from time to time was how he was able to get along with Magnus and Raven. Granted, he didn't forget what they did to him in the past, such as manipulating him at Asteroid M or leaving him out in the desert to die... but he was able to eventually forgive them for those things. He had come to hate those events and deeds, and not those people themselves.


All in all, it seemed to be like a kind of recurring theme or lesson in Scott's life: Always remember and never forget, but at the same time, be able to move on.

It had taken some time, but the other surviving mutants whom he fought alongside also managed to move on, fixing destroyed things that could be fixed... some of those things dating back to before this had ever happened. Scott wasn't the only one reunited with his family; motivated by the opportunity of another chance, both Magnus and Raven had taken it upon themselves to try and make peace with their respective children. Scott of all people knew just how priceless and precious the opportunity to rebuild a family was.

/At least being able to live in a world more tolerant of mutants is not the only thing I have going so far in my life/, Scott thought to himself as he glanced over at Jean.

The two of them had taken their relationship to a more serious and mature level even before this horrible event, and ever since their relationship had reached that point, Scott felt a very strong bond with Jean - not a telepathic one, but one between lovers, between two people who were meant for each other. He knew he could and would spend the rest of his life with Jean. He was even willing to kill for her - and he did, when he used his powers to take down Stryker, Kelly and Trask all in one swoop.

He definitely looked forward to spending the rest of his life with her... yet even still, he thought about some things which he would find very difficult. Scott knew that every man who was to become a father would be nervous over having children, but this wasn't just about normal jitters. One day, he would very well have to tell any children he had about this "Mutant Holocaust." How would he go about doing such a thing?

Then again... that prospect was a long way off, and since the future was always changing, that left him with plenty of time to prepare for such a scenario.

After dinner was over, Scott prepared himself for the task ahead of going over wedding details with Jean. Even though Jean's leg had already healed, he still enjoyed doing things with her as simple as walking somewhere together.

Besides, after we get that out of the way/, Scott thought, /Jean and I will have the entire night to ourselves...


A/N: Well, I hope this one turned out well...

Next chapter is, obviously, about another X-Man... -Quillian
Sign up to rate and review this story