Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Harry Potter and the power of Oa

chapter 8: spittish tradition

by bluminous

let's shake on it

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Crossover,Humor,Romance - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2009-03-31 - Updated: 2009-04-01 - 5076 words

?Blocked
Harry Potter and the Power of Oa

By: Bluminous

A/N: I don’t own Harry Potter or DC comics

Chapter 8: Spittish Tradition

Harry walked with Kara and Wally while they followed Hermione and Daphne, who were rushing a bit since the Hogwarts Express was about to depart in 10 minutes. They had attracted many people’s attention, since their tanned, and slim conditioned bodies made them stand out among the crowd. Kara drew plenty of admiring gazes, but she ignored them, as she only wanted to stay with Harry till the last possible minute. They had only kissed once seriously and that was before they started their relationship, and she decided to give him a proper one before he left. They moved past the crowds of parents and students, finally reaching the end of the train upon spotting an empty cabin. Having no time to carry their trunks and Hedwig’s cage, they decided to say their farewells right there.


“See you when I see you Harry” Kara said and Harry hugged her and she returned it, and then moved his face to hers with her hand. She looked into his green eyes and leaned in, kissing him softly. They broke apart after a few moments and she said “Take care, love.” Harry answered her. “I always do Kara, and take care too okay? And take care of mum for me.” Kara chuckled; the Wayne men were now ultra protective of their pregnant Mrs. Wayne, to the point of being ridiculous. She wondered if Harry would be worse than Bruce, and she hoped not; as she would instantly feel frustrated, as she now see with the hormonal Diana and Bruce.


Kara moved to Daphne and Hermione, hugging them tightly and said “Take care of My Harry will you? I saw some of the girls looking at him and I don’t like it.” Hermione and Daphne nodded, even though Harry was not their boyfriend, they were protective of him. “Don’t worry Daphne, he’s in good hands.” Hermione said and Daphne joked by saying “Yeah, no skanky girl will get near your Harry, alright?” The three girls laughed, and Kara winked at them. The time they spent on The Warrior had bonded them; they were no longer acquaintances but friends.


While Kara talked to the girls, Harry was saying good bye to the Flash. “See you later Wally, and have a safe flight ok?” “Yeah don’t worry kid, and don’t kiss any more pussies ok?” Wally joked, and he dodged an attempt to hit him in the head. It was so fast like he had super speed. The whistle sounded, a warning for the 1 minute mark before departure, and after a stolen hug from Kara, Harry picked up his trunk and Hedwig’s cage and moved inside the Train with Hermione and Daphne.


The previously empty compartment they had spotted from outside now housed a passenger, a small girl with dirty blond hair wearing what Harry thought was a necklace made with beer bottle caps in her neck. The girl looked drunk, he thought amusedly, but it was just the permanent expression on her face, a dazed look and he spotted the beer caps to be labeled butterbeer. Wondering if wizards love cholesterol in their blood veins, he just remained silent and observed her. The girl turned her head to see the three second years enter, dragging their trunks with them.


“Hi, can we sit here?” Hermione asked nicely at the lonely first year, and the girl with wide blue eyes nodded, her gaze fixed at Harry. “Thanks” Hermione said, and lifted her trick to the rack, with Daphne and Harry following her actions. Harry looked on with approval, since their training, the girls were now able to lift their own heavy trunks easily, with newly muscles showing as they flexed. Harry sat beside the young girl, and Hermione and Daphne sat opposite her.


It was an awkward moment for the three, since they had an unfamiliar person sharing the compartment, and Hermione finally broke the silence and introduced herself to the girl. “Hi! Are you a first year? I’m in second year, in Ravenclaw house. My name is Hermione Granger. “She extended her hand to the girl and the girl moved her gaze away from Harry and said looked at Hermione.


Hermione thought the girl wouldn’t take her hand, when suddenly the girl raised her open palm near her face and made a weird sound in her throat. “Ahhhk” she suddenly spat saliva to her hand and before Hermione could react, she grabbed her hand and started to shake it. “Hello, my name’s Luna Lovegood. This is a traditional spittish greeting.” She then dropped Hermione’s hand from her grip and looked at the red head sitting beside Hermione. Daphne hid her hands by sitting on them as if afraid the weird girl would grab her arm and give her the same greeting. “I’m Daphne Greengrass.” She said weakly. “Why did you do that? It’s unhygienic! And what is a spittish?” Hermione said her voice slightly hysterical. She looked at her hand that was dripping in icky saliva.


“Spittish tradition, it means that when you shake your hand with the new person you meet, using the spittish way of greeting, your friendship with that person will last.” Luna said seriously, as if explaining a concept to a kindergarten. “Oh, I see… that’s very… thoughtful of you.” Hermione said, her ire vanishing upon the explanation from the girl, and she realized the action had no malice in it.



“AAAAhhhhkkk sput!” Harry had spat on his palm and now held it towards Luna. “Well, Luna, I think it’s a wonderful tradition, my name is Harry Wayne. Pleased to meet you.” Luna looked at him again with that unnerving stare, but Harry had received worse. She shook his hand, then let go. She leaned in closer to him and tilted her head, as if fascinated with a weird creature. “You’re weird.” She said and Harry grinned, not taking offense at all. Perhaps this would not be a boring ride after all. “I think you’re weird too.” Harry complimented her.



The express moved at an agonizing pace, for Harry anyway, he looked outside the window as he remembered the very significant events during summer.



**************



Flashback:



Harry had celebrated his twelfth birthday a day early for his friends, since July 31 was reserved for the whole Justice League. He could not invite his friends, as he would not be able to explain how he had access to Justice League teleportation technology. The Waynes had excused themselves on that day, saying that they celebrated their son’s birthday in a time honored tradition and needed the whole day for it. The girls took the excuse well, and wished them a safe journey as the three boarded one of the Helicopters. As the helicopter moved out of sight, Diana, Bruce, Harry and Kara disappeared in a shimmering light, transported all the way to a private island in the pacific.



The Justice League was already waiting for him, and he was passed around receiving hugs and back slaps. The party started right away, and the yearly reunion started, with a few unlucky members watching the party from the Watchtower. Diana took this time announce her pregnancy, and the league had the pleasure of seeing Batman dropped jawed in shock, with his son wearing a similar expression on his face. The Wayne men rushed towards Diana, and they had a three way hug amidst the cheering and clapping from the members.



The party lasted well into the evening, as the females congregated around a beaming proud soon to be mother. The Male members gave Bruce tips and advice on pregnant women sharing wine and beer, and speculated if the baby would inherit powers from Diana. Meanwhile Harry and Wally made Clark, who was drunk again perform embarrassing acts like bullying him into singing, to the league’s amusement. The man could not hold his drink.



A sudden flash of purple light appeared, and Dr. Fate stepped out of his personal magical portal. Harry approached him, eager for news and wondering if he had finished arranging a meeting with Nicholas Flamel. “Happy Birthday Harry, I wish you well. I have a gift for you, and if you would come with me I will show you.” Harry suspected Dr. Fate was successful, and walked over to Bruce and asked for permission. Bruce was hesitant at first, but he finally relented, and asked that he take Kara with him, he trusted Dr. Fate’s good intentions with his son, but in the realms of Magic, unpredictability was expected.



Harry and Kara stepped into the purple magical portal that suddenly appeared, and vanished with Dr. Fate in a flash of light. They appeared in an old well kept three story house that was surrounded by a beautiful garden with flowers in full bloom. They walked along the cobblestone path and an old woman Harry guessed to be around 60 years of age awaited them. She wore a kind smile, and she wore an apron, it was obvious that she had been in the middle of cooking.



“Bobby dear! So good to see you! Last time I saw you, you were a little tike stealing my cookies and stepping on my garden! Come here and give your Auntie Perenelle a hug!” She opened her arms wide, demanding he step into her embrace.



Dr. Fate did, and hugged her, while Harry and Kara looked on with shock and amusement. “Bobby?” Kara asked and Harry snickered, they had a new name to call the mysterious Dr. Fate. “Take of that ridiculous helm Bobby, I want to see your face” Perenelle said and Bobby obeyed, and revealed a grin on his youthful face. After inspecting Bobby, she turned to the two children and said “Oh my! Children! How cute! You must be Harry?” Harry nodded and said “I’m Harry Wayne, Madam, and this is my girlfriend, Kara Zorel”



“A good match” Perenelle nodded and said “Come here you two, I haven’t hugged children in a long time, and when I heard you were coming Harry, I baked some cookies.” Harry and Kara awkwardly hugged the unfamiliar but motherly woman, and after introductions were over, she invited them to step inside her home.



After giving the three refreshments and cookies, in the kitchen, she went to the study to fetch her husband. Meanwhile, Harry had a wicked grin. “Hey Bobby,” he said, emphasizing the name, “Nice name.” It seems the mysterious Dr. Fate has the ability to be embarrassed, for his face flushed red and he glared at the two children sporting wicked grins. “My name now is Dr. Fate, for Fate herself has entrusted to me the mission to show the path to thoseshe had chosen.” He said sagely, while Kara said “Whatever you say, Bobby.” Dr. Fate groaned and rolled his eyes and said “I’ll never be able to stop you from doing that, will you?” “Yes” came the chorus reply from Harry and Kara.



Perenelle appeared with a man that appeared to be in his 60s, and Harry, Kara and Bobby stood up as a sign of respect. “Bobby, you scallywag, I didn’t know you would come so early, good thing Penny was prepared.” Nicholas Flamel said, and turned to Harry. “You must be Harry, right?” He asked. Harry nodded and the Old man approached him and kneeled in front of him, looking at his face. “Strange” he whispered, “I sense great power within you… very old… ancient… and very familiar.”



“How rude of me, I haven’t introduced myself; I am Nicholas Flamel, Master Alchemist and a former Green Lantern Corps.” He said and Harry replied “Good day Mr. Flamel, I am Harry Wayne, and my companion and girlfriend, Kara Zorel.” Nicolas nodded politely at the girl and looked back at Dr. Fate. “It was a wise choice to ask me for help Bobby, Harry here is very special, and very unique.” He looked back at Harry and said “Let us retire to the garden Harry and I shall ask you a few questions, and maybe show me your magic and green lantern powers.”



The party moved into the backyard, which was large and surrounded by old oak and redwood trees. Scenic hills and snow cap covered mountains dominated the landscape. “We are alone here, Harry, so you don’t need to worry about your secret” Dr. Fate said and Harry walked further then turned around, facing them. “What do you want to see?” he asked and Nicholas thought for a moment then said “show me your green lantern powers, do you know the exercise for centering yourself? It was taught to Green Lanterns. It brings out your full power to fully manifest visually like an Aura. I want to know how you can use the power of Oa without the ring.”



Harry nodded and said “How powerful do you want it to be?” at this Nicholas raised an eyebrow and then said "The most powerful you can manage. We are isolated for Hundreds of miles, so don’t worry about anyone spotting flares of green light.”Nicholas remembered when he charged at full power, instantly consuming the power in the ring. His aura was bright and Perenelle said her hair stood at the feeling energy humming in the air. He nodded to Harry to start and looked eagerly, his sharp eyes looking for any part of the body that will flare first, where the green light usually comes from as a substitute to the ring the boy was not wearing.



Harry took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, he had only done this once, when earth was in danger, but he was weaker physically then, and he didn’t know if there would be a difference now that he was gaining weight and muscle. He spread out his legs into a stance for balance and raised his arms mid way, then closed his eyes in anticipation of the power that would soon flow through his body.



Suddenly, a green light engulfed Harry’s whole body, and it steadily grew brighter and thicker, until it started to sparkle and crack with contained energy. The hard packed earth around Harry cracked open, and his clothes and hair flapped furiously as if in a wind tunnel. He gritted his teeth and pushed more power to come out to his body. Clouds overhead begin to swirl, as strong winds whipped around him and blasting through his audience.



He knew he was near his current limit, but since he was also curious about how much power he could now release compared to his previous experience, he pushed more. It was getting too much as he felt his body as if it was now burning in a cold flame. He opened his mouth, unable to control the yell he expelled from his mouth.



“AAARGGHHHH” Harry screamed and he opened his eyes, and every part of them were now glowing green, unlike a regular green lantern whose irises were the only part that was green. Huge uncontrolled bolts erupted from his body, striking the trees and boulders, instantly pulverizing them and carving deep trenches on the ground.



Of the four in the audience, only Kara and Dr. Fate saw Harry’s full power, and they stepped back a few more meters, remembering the spectacular display of power that was about to commence. As expected, an amazing green light sprang forth from his body and Nicholas eyes widened; he could not see where the power originated from! He cast his wand at detection charms and was stunned at the results. His power was not emitting from a single point in his body, it was everywhere in him, balanced and spread out perfectly to the stray strand of hair on his head. The boy was like a living Oan Ring battery, as he never detected a drain on his power, in fact it was steadily growing at an alarming rate. He was suddenly thrown off his feet as a strong wind picked him up and slammed him 30 feet to Dr. Fate’s awaiting arms. He looked to his side to see his wife supported by Kara.



“This is amazing!” He said, but his wondrous expression quickly turned to fear. Harry’s energy was now causing damage, and the earth beneath him cracked under the sheer pressure of his power. Opposite the ground, clouds above him swirled, and he was actually starting to create a hole in the atmosphere. Huge waves of power pulsed around Harry, sending everyone flat on the ground. “If this keeps up I’m afraid he might accidentally destroy the house! Good thing I have that warded!” Nicholas screamed over the howling wind. “Destroy the house?! I fear he could destroy much much more.” Dr. Fate said calmly. Kara was not easily frightened. She could take most hits, and had even gone one on one with Grundy at the age of 14. But this was frightful, and the intense energy she could feel was making her hard to breathe.



“HARRY STOP!!!” Kara screamed and He must have heard it, as he slowly powered down. He closed his eyes and when they opened again, the green film of light covering them were gone, except his irises still glowed. “A bit too much huh?” Harry said looking around the destruction he caused. Kara ran to him and hugged him hard, scolding him for his reckless actions, and kissing him repeatedly on the face. Nicholas stood up dusting his pants. He needed to study the information he collected, but he knew one thing. That boy is no green lantern; he was far above their power and capabilities, an endless ocean to their drop of water.



After his impressive yet destructive test, his magical skill was tested. Nicholas was impressed with his knowledge for transfiguration and charms, as well as the few wandless magic spells he could cast. “Transfiguration is easy for us who have worn the ring and used its power, since it is very similar to Transfiguration in one aspect. Do you know what is it Harry?” Nicholas asked, walking back and forth. “Will, you need strength of will to focus the lantern powers, and will again to make the transfiguration one casts to be successful.” Harry replied and Nicholas beamed with pride. “Exactly Harry, exactly. Good answer.” Harry grinned at the praise and as he eagerly listened to the man’s lecture. “I have been chosen by the Guardians of Oa to wear the ring 624 years ago” Harry nodded, that meant Nicholas was chosen to wear the ring when he was 25 when he was chosen. ”Like all Green Lantern corps I protected my sector to the best of my ability. Like all scholars I researched the power of my ring and the Lantern Battery given to me, and there I discovered after hundreds of hours in research a new way to use the lantern power.”



Harry’s eyes widened, there was only one way to use green lantern powers, as John and Kat taught him. Only one way and nothing else. “What is it?” he asked and Nicholas looked out into the window of his study and continued his lecture. “There was an issue however when I helped defended Oa from attack, and I used my magic in tandem with my Ring, fusing them into a single deadly weapon. We were successful, and repulsed the attack of the manhunters, our predecessors that policed the universe before they changed, warping into a twisted existence and logic.



“However the guardians saw my new skill and determined that it was too dangerous for me to use it. My new power would only cause an imbalance in the corps, promoting distrust and envy. They gave me a choice, to only use one of my powers and give the other up, and of course I chose my magic. They let me keep my ring, since they knew my magical oath never to wear the ring and wield its power was enough. From since then they only chose mundane or normal people to wear the ring, to maintain the balance and integrity of the corps. I was the last, until you Harry.” Nicholas finished his story, and was now looking at Harry.



“Will you teach me Mr. Flamel?” Harry asked.



“Oh yes I would love to.” Mr. Flamel said, wearing a wicked smile. Take that smelly old blue farts!



End of Flashback



******************

Harry realized that his name when was being called by Hermione when he heard Luna’s voice “Don’t bother him, he’s held by wrackspurts.” Wondering what wrackspurts was, he asked the question and got an answer. “They’re sprites, creatures that capture your attention and show your mind significant memories. They could be very distracting, especially when you are bored. That’s why I wear these.” She said, pointing to the butterbeer caps necklace. “Good job Luna” Hermione said weakly. She deduced that the small girl had some issues, and needed to be handled gently. Who knows if those creatures do exist? She decided to research on wrackspurts later.



Later when Harry was alone with Luna when Daphne and Hermione went to the toilet, she looked at Harry more closely, sniffed a few times and whispered “Why are you not rotting? And you don’t smell. You really don’t look dead to me.” Harry’s eyes widened to give away his shock. “What did you say?” his voice, once warm and friendly was now cold and impassive. “How did you do that? Can you teach me? The way you speak chills my spine, it can be useful for the summer.” Luna said seriously and for once, the great Harry Wayne didn’t know what to say.



“Eh?” he said and Luna answered him. “Don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone, but the boy who lived really was a good hyphenated name. You’re cute though” she said and a small blush appeared in her cheeks. Harry almost passed out in shock and finally, he just said “Thank you.” He had to get close to this mysterious girl, to see if this was just an act, a mask to fool her surroundings. But she would never fool Harry Wayne, and he would discover her secrets, or so he thought.



The train stopped as it reached Hogsmeade station and students began to pour out of the compartments. “Let’s stay in here for a minute, I don’t want to get crushed by that mob.“ Daphne said and Harry, Hermione and Luna agreed. As the three sophomores and Luna separated, they climbed inside the carriages with hundreds of skeletal horses pulling them. “Weird” he said out loud and Hermione and Daphne looked at him. “Luna” Daphne asked and Harry shook his head. “No, not her she’s ok, I was thinking about those hundreds of skeletal horses pulling the carriages. Daphne and Hermione looked towards the front window to see if there was indeed a horse pulling their carriage, and when they saw empty air returned back to their seats. “I don’t see anything” Hermione said frowning. Daphne was quiet for a moment and then she remembered her mother’s conversation with Madam Malkin about Thestral hairs and their possibilities in using them in robes. ‘Kinky’. She thought and then said “I think what you are seeing are thestrals Harry, you need to have seen someone die to see them.”



Hermione was intrigued about what type of magic causes this when Harry said “Oh, yeah I saw someone die before. Don’t ask me ok? It’s creepy enough as it is.” Hermione looked like she wanted to ask, but she remembered his ‘other responsibilities’ and instead said “I understand Harry, but wow! How could they remain invisible to other people?” Soon an intellectual debate started among the three Ravenclaws, arguing whether it was a natural repellant, an illusion, or death magic that made the thestrals invisible.



*************



Dumbledore was ready, he had cast a charm that would make a voice resonate from the sorting hat if it acted weirdly. But the hat was also prepared, and this would be a battle of wills. Besides, it wanted to share its experiences in the summer with the children to make them see a bigger world than the prejudiced one they are living in.



Harry, Hermione and Daphne all sat beside each other in the Ravenclaw table chatting when a hand touched Harry’s hand lying on the table. “Hey Harry” an older third year Girl that Harry remembered that was named Marietta. “You had a very good summer I see, do you want to study together sometime?” she asked in what she thought was a sultry voice. Harry looked at her and said “You know an hour before my hand was covered in saliva.”



The Hand hastily disappeared and she walked off, muttering about disgusting, cute and immature boys. Daphne and Hermione grinned and looked at Harry proudly. That was done very well, no direct insults, threats or force was used to discourage an admirer. He was getting better.



The Deputy Head appeared with the first years behind her. it seemed the weather from last year did not changed for they all looked liked wet drowning kittens, and wore fearful expressions, except for Luna who was squeezing water from her wet hair. “The first years, Headmaster” the transfiguration teacher said and Albus nodded to start the sorting. He stared hard at the sorting hat, wand at the ready to cast the charm if needed.



The hat sat on the stool but it did not open its tear to sing. Instead, an instrumental noise in what appeared to be an organ and light tapping of a drum’s high hat and snare emitted from every corner of the great hall. The hat started to sway, that reminded Harry of Clark the Superdrunk’s sways on the beach before getting a face full of sand. The tune was very familiar and he remembered Kara playing it in her room. Dumbledore was curious and listened in, the tune was very pleasant, relaxing even, and saw the student body listening curiously. The hat’s tear then opened, it looked like it was ready to sing.



“No….. Woman no Cry….”

“No! Woman NO Cry”

“No… woman no cry!”

“No woman no cry!”


“Said - said - said: I remember when we used to sit”

“In the government yard in trenchtown,”

“Oba - obaserving the ypocrites”

“As they would mingle with the good people we meet.”

“Good friends we have, oh, good friends weve lost”

“Along the way”.

“In this great future, you cant forget your past”;

“So dry your tears, I seh.”



The Hat was silenced again, and a standard Hogwarts song recorded from past years issued from its closed lips. The instrumental music however continued, and it was so ridiculous that most started to laugh. Harry was laughing and spotted Fawkes among the shadows, and it looked like he carried a small sphere that appeared to have caused the instrumental music.


Albus Dumbledore was frustrated, and wondered if he could enchant a new sorting hat, he saw a lovely purple one with pink stars on display on the catalogue, and he mentally made a note to order one. After the confusing sorting song was finished, he gave another nod and started calling out the new first years. The sorting went smoothly, until...



“ LOVEGOOD, LUNA!” Minera shouted, and looked at the daughter of Selene step out from the ranks. She smiled a bit, as the girl look exactly like his mother when she was young. Luna stepped sat on the stool, her face serene and put the hat on her head.



A few minutes later, the hat was swaying again on top of her head, but it looked more genuinely drunk. “Ohhhh maaannn…” the hat said. “Pardon?” Albus asked, and the Hat turned around to see the source of the voice. It saw Dumbledore and said “Hey ALBbeeeee!”


“Where is Ms. Lovegood to be sorted.?” He asked.


“Ohhhh… can I keep her?”


“No.”


“Awwww… pleeesh?” Albus shook his head. “Fine… RAVINGCLAW!”


Harry clapped loudly, he was happy for now he could observe this mysterious girl closely, and he liked the girl.


The sorting continued, but it was clear something was wrong with the hat. It laughed and giggled loudly, playing the names of the houses like Hufff me a puff or Slytherdor and even Gryffin bong.

************


Draco Malfoy eagerly stared at the small red head female Weasley patting her front pocket as if to assure herself of something that was on her person. He listened in to his Father talking on the Floo with McNair, and heard the diary contained great power. He wanted the diary, and if he could just corner her this week, he’ll get stronger from the magical artifact, and show that Weasley how powerful he was. He wanted to steal the diary from his father, but then he saw him place it on the red head Weasley’s bag that day on Diagon Alley. He will get it later.


***********


A Handsome man with a handsome smile looked on at the sea of young luscious ladies from the staff table. He eagerly spotted his favorites on every level, and planned to start ‘working’ on them for the school year. A curvaceous looking seventh year with brown hair in Gryffindor, a petite sixth year from Hufflepuff…. Nice tits on the blondie in Slytrherin…



He continued on, mentally undressing each girl naked in his mind, and then when he reached the first years, he marked a pretty red head sitting beside a boy and a girl with brown hair. ‘Collection Complete’ he mentally said, smiling at his adoring fans. He eyed the youngest in his collection but was drawn to the frightening stare of the boy, his emerald eyes flashing in the torch light. He needed to get the bodyguard away from the girl he thought. He could handle one sophomore, after all, how powerful could he be? He need not worry about discovery, for Gilderoy Lockhart was very good at memory charms.



**************

A/N Happy summer! Well summer for this country I’m in. 34 celsius! Reviews? Comments?
Sign up to rate and review this story