Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Sojourn: the First Flight

CH 3 Strengthening the muscle

by bluminous 1 review

Harry takes flight

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Fantasy,Humor,Romance - Characters: Fleur,Harry - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2009-03-22 - Updated: 2009-03-22 - 3546 words

5Original


A/N: I don't own Harry Potter nor did I profit from this venture.



Chapter 3: Strengthening the Muscle.



'This is so cool' Harry thought as he ate the sandwich, munching on the tasty bacon and staring at Headmaster Dumbledore suck on his awful lemon drops, while occasionally looking at Harry with twinkling eyes and a serene expression on his face. 'The old codger looks like a mentally warped old baby' he thought and then sniggered and coughed on the piece of bacon lodged in his throat. Ron, tried to slap his back to help him spit out the offending bacon but instead surprised Harry, his right wing suddenly extending and hitting Ron in the face.



"Whatc'ha do that for mate?" Ron said in a nasal voice, rubbing his nose, as the Twins laughed and the various orders smiled in their drinks. Dumbledore's twinkling eyes moved to full blast, 'if he keeps that up I'm gonna fly up and stick his twinkling eyes at the ceiling', thinking of a gross version of the enchanted ceiling of the great hall of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. 'Haven't they seen enough the meeting?' Harry scowled a bit, realizing that some order members, like Hestia, Emmeline, Fleur and Tonks, still looked at him every once a while. He was getting frustrated at all the beaming and secret looks being sent his way, for the past four hours.





Flashback





"What the Fuck?!!" the Headmaster said and Minerva and Molly both said" ALBUS!" "You could have set a better example for the children!" Molly shrilled. "My apologies," Albus said his tone sincere and continued "but imagine seeing Harry sprouting off wings, beautiful wings I must say... Messrs Fred and George Weasley, another version of the Canary Cream perhaps?" now that Albus' shock wore off; his mind was calculating again thinking of this new development. A slight cough interrupted his thinking. Turning to Poppy, realizing she was the source of the cough, he spoke" Yes Poppy? Perhaps you can explain a bit of this"





"A small bit only, Headmaster. This is no prank made by anyone, or a curse he might have received. No Residues of Transfiguration, forced or otherwise, and certainly not caused by any potions, as I would have detected it immediately. And the magical resonance coming from those huge wings of his.... "Poppy trailed off, unsure of what to say next. "Yes?Dumbledore prompted her. This was startling news and he wanted to learn more before he could make a decision on the matter. "Well uhmm... the wings, they're completely synchronized with Harry's magical core! It's like he was born with them Headmaster! And that's impossible!" Poppy sputtered; even she seemed incapable of believing what she herself said. The order shifted slightly as this piece of news.





"Not impossible, Poppy, just something beyond our capabilities, Magic always surprises me, even though I have lived more than a century. It has a wicked sense of humor. Why I even knew of aperson, but I won't reveal his identity, having been born with a fluffy Goat's tail and scruffy beard, kept crying like a goat when he was born. I was there; I must have been 8 years old that time..." Then he trailed off. His eyes widened, realizing he said too much. The order members were using their discipline not to laugh.





Moody could not simply pass this up, and coughed, and it suspiciously sounded "Aberforth." The older Phoenix Members could not keep it in and chuckled, like Minerva and Poppy along with Moody, while Tonks, Hestia, and the younger members exchanged glances amongst themselves, not quite getting the joke.



"If I may suggest Headmaster that we reconvene at the Kitchen for some tea?" Molly asked at Albus and the Headmaster nodded." And the kids can go help Harry settle down with his things. Ron, be a dear and help Harry?" Molly continued. As the youngsters all headed to the stairs, past the Order Members shuffling past them, they still glanced at Harry, stealing looks and murmuring to fellow Members. "Mr. Potter, inform me immediately when you feel sick, or sudden pains, will you?" Poppy asked Harry. "I will Madam Pomphrey and thank you" Harry replied and continued on with Ron, Ginny and the Twins.



As they reached Sirius' old room, the twins suddenly appeared on his left and right.



"The boy who lived..." one started, waiting for his twin to finish his sentence.



"Sprouting wings, a heavenly being amongst the earthly wizards..."



"Smighting the Dark Lord with his angelic presence..."



"... swooping down and stealing your Girlfriends!"



They both laughed, they always knew how to make serious situations light, and Harry grinned, they were trying not to make a big deal with his wings. "Oi knock it off you too" Ron said, his face still a bit in daze, he was still not finished comprehending what at all happened. "Well Ithink they are very pretty, Harry, your wings I mean" Ginny piped up from behind the Twins and blushed when Harry looked at her. "Well they are really beautiful..." she sighed.



"They are not pretty Ginny!"Harry replied, a bit offended for emasculating his wings. "I think they are very manly, wicked and not at all beautiful... not at all girly!" he turned to them, and remembering the sensation of this new muscles now on his back and how they unfurled his wings resting in his shoulder, he tried them again. The wings sprang forth, hitting the Cabinet and knocking off a few books.



"Wicked Harry!" George said, he was wearing aWeasley's Wizarding Wheezes dragon skin brown jacket with a red G encrusted on the collar. Perhaps that was how they were recognized by their assistants in their shop, from what the twins told him in their letters business was booming and they had to hire assistants to help watch the store. Fred meanwhile, walked around Harry, observing the spread out wings, ducking as he went under one and continuing on. 'Perhaps he's planning to make a variation of the canary cream' Harry thought.



He felt a hand touching the outer feathers and saw Ginny touching them, a weird look on her face. "See Ginny?" he said. " Not pretty, very Manly in my opinion" But Ginny simply did not respond, he continued on stroking the feathers gently. Another blow on his masculinity was thrown out when she suddenly looked in his eyes, and said "and so soft too..."The twins laughed again, and Ron twitched a smile.



After answering a few questions about the last 24 hours, and donning a simple white shirt, it was uncomfortably tight at the back, the Weasley siblings started treating like normal. Ron talked excitedly as The Chuddley Cannons won, well technically won when the opposing the Apple Bee Arrows all got Dragon Pox. Ron defended that a win is a win. The twins very curious about the muscles on his back, occasionally asking about how his body when moving his wings. They were planning on copying the effects of his new condition, already having a name: Potter's Pies. In Harry's opinion, the name sucked.



Mrs. Weasley's voice was heard as she called for an early breakfast, and the Weasley siblings plus Harry headed down to the kitchen, the order having finished the emergency meeting. Harry was seated beside Ron and Ginny, and directly across from Dumbledore. Various members were also seated, with Mrs. Weasley bustling forth and placing delicious sausages, eggs, bacon and toast on table. Making a bacon sandwich for himself, he realized he was a bit hungry, and it was still early, around three in the morning.





End of Flashback





"Well Harry, let me be the first to greet you a happy sixteenth . The Weasleys also greeted him as well as the Order members. Harry nodded his tanks to everyone and resumed eating, as Hedwig flew in from the window and landed on his shoulder. " Hey Girl have a nice flight?" The owl looked at him as if expecting him to fall down in pain again. " I'm fine now Hedwig, don't worry." The Owl looked at Harry for a moment tilting her head as if checking if her master was indeed fine, seeing he was indeed well, she said"Hoot" for confirmation and nibbled his ear as he finished his sandwich.



"Why do you talk to your owl as if she understands you?" Tonks said and she chuckled. Hedwig's head swiveled and pinned Tonks with her amber eyes. At the same time, Harry looked at Tonks and replied "But she does, don't you girl? Hedwig hooted in confirmation. "Now continue hunting, I'm sure there are still rats running around, the suns isn't up yet and a have asafe Flight." Harry said. Hedwig hooted in reply and took off from his shoulder and circled the room before cuffing her wing on Tonk's head as she drank her tea and then flew off to the window into the night. This caused the drink to spill into her robes and she cried "Bloody bird!" "You were asking for it Tonks, when you insulted Hedwig's Intelligence" Harry replied as he snickered, along with the rest of the order.



"And talking about safe flights, Harry" Dumbledore cut off from the snickering. Dumbledore continued. "We are moving you and the Weasley children to Burrow in a few hours, seeing as we need to determine if you can take flight" Harry's eyes widened and so did everyone else's eyes. He did realize he could possibly fly on his own power, without any aide from as spell or broom. The thought of flying with his wings... his wings with his own familiar made him smile a special smile that lit up the room. "Flying?" Harry replied excitingly.



"Yes" Dumbledore answered with a smile. "We can't very well practice here, and outside would break the secrecy laws, and the Hogwarts is not a good place for keeping secrets, as the board of governors are currently there supervising the contactors for the new installation of greenhouse. Pomona is deliriously happy these days. The Burrow is the best place for a bit of flying." Dumbledore continued, referring to the Weasley's made up Quidditch pitch. That was hidden among tall groves of trees and amuggle repellant ward in place. Harry and the Weasleys nodded in confirmation excitedly.



"We would also have a small party for your birthday Harry" Mrs. Weasley added. Harry thanked her gratefully. "I Have already informed Ms. Granger about the party and she would be Flooing to the Burrow at nine. I have not yet the time to inform her of your new wings"Dumbledore added. Harry nodded and after a few minutes of farewell, most of the Order left, and Fleur and Tonks volunteered to help them pack for their move to the burrow.



As they packed Ron suddenly replied "oh hell!"and laughed hard. He was pointing at Harry. "What's the matter with you?" Harry asked as Ron continued laughing, drawing odd looks from the twins and Ginny along with Tonks and Fleur. "Hermione" Ron finally said. And in that one word Harry knew why Ron was laughing hard.



Hermione, the force of nature, he was thinking what would her reaction be if she suddenly saw him with his new wings. He would be a lab rat, a source of study, every hour asking questions and conducting research. Every day. "Oh Merlin's Balls" he breathed out , and that made Ron laugh again, The Twins and Ginny sharing wicked grins, with Fleur and Tonks not getting it and just helped in packing.





He had to head Hermione off early before she got into a roll.





Packing was a bit messy with Weasleys, as Ron was disorganized, and Ginny as a girl was a bit messy. Ginny was a bit miffed as Fleur continued to refer to her as "jenneh." The Twins were worse, already being messy, and they had no help because Fleur and Tonks were afraid of touching anything belonging to the Twins.

Finished packing, they trooped out into the Kitchen where the Floo was, their escort being Fleur and Tonks with Moody, they would stay at the Burrow until September the first. Harry was concerned at first that his wings would get caught and hits something, and so determinedly tried to fold his wings as tightly as he could close to his body with what mediocre control with his flight muscles that he had. The fear proved unfounded, and there was no incident, aside from Harry falling face first from the floo, but that was normal.

Fleur and Tonks volunteered for the 3 man security detail, for they genuinely knew their hosts and Harry. The security detail was also asked by Dumbledore to help Harry train, if he ever wished to do so.



"Let uz go jenneh" Fleur asked as she would be bunking in with Ginny and Hermione, along with Tonks. Ginny's face turned an angry red but kept her frustration to herself. She instead chose a very mature response, poking her tongue out at Fleur's Back. Harry would sleep in the spare bed in Ron's room again, and the Twins left for their room, a worried look in their face. They were a bit scared when Alastor Moody said he might bunk in with them. No one wanted to sleep in the same room with Mad eye Moody. There were rumors of him firing spells in his sleep. Kingsley added that Moody was known to go right up to your face when you are sleeping, poke you with his wand and when you would open your eyes, he would scream "CONSTANT VIGILANCE!"



After an Hour of getting settled, Ron fell down to sleep again, he had not been able to sleep since the emergency. Harry went down to Quidditch pitch, excited about wanting to fly. Seeing he was alone, he stripped off his shirt and breathed a sigh of relief. Those shirts are so confining! Flexing his Flight muscles, and the wings sprang out. There was aslight breeze and a few feathers ruffled and he felt wind resistance against them. He now knew why his wings were so massive, reaching 12 feet in length if he stretched them hard enough. It needed to support his considerable weight after all.



Taking a deep breath, he flapped his wings and he felt a strange sensation on his back, a few muscles flexing and relaxing. After afew minutes making sure he memorized the pattern, he tried to beat his wings faster. It was tiring a bit but he persevered. Finally he lifted off a few inches and his wings were beating furiously, in beating the air. He finally dropped down to his knees and panted. "This is Hard Stuff!" he said aloud.



Getting a bit frustrated for his slow progress, he really wanted to fly. A loud hoot was heard and he saw Hedwig watching him in atree twenty feet away. "Hedwig!"Harry said. He began walking towards his owl but Hedwig took of suddenly and zoomed straight for him. His eyes widened as Hedwig soared past him not before cuffing his face with her wings. "hey!" Harry exclaimed as his eyes watched circle him. Then Hedwig flew near him and cuffed him again. "What's your problem girl?" Harry asked, a bit miffed. Hedwig dived again, slowed her dive into a glide and pecked Harry gently on top of the head.





"Hedwig!" cried Harry and he distinctly hear the owl make a few hoots in succession, as if laughing. The owl landed neatly in abranch of the tree and looked at him. "hoot" Hedwig said in a mocking tone. He started to jog towards the tree, determined to pay Hedwig back and ruffle a bit her plumage, she was very vain about that and kept on preening it. But Hedwig noticed this and took off again and towards the opposite side of the make shift pitch. Grinning Harry took on after her and she flew a bit higher, just out of jumping range. He ran a bit faster and then Hedwig took off into the sky.





Harry jumped after Hedwig and got nearer to her, but Hedwig again went higher still. The owl leaned her wings to glide to the right and Harry copied her. And then he realized he was flying! He looked back and saw his wings beating a few flaps every few seconds or so. He whooped in joy and the game was on.



They played tag with Harry trying to catch Hedwig, the owl was a little devil in flight. She was maneuverable and He tried to copy them by imitating a bit her wings, various feathers subconsciously

moving to adjust for better flight. His legs and arms would sometimes move to help with drag and slow speed, or shift his weight better. This is pure freedom, and he let out a whoop of joy. Loyal Friends, Master and Familiar circled the grounds as they danced in the air. Both their wings playing with the wind.



Molly heard a shout and a laugh as she cleaned the tea cups and pots. Thinking they were already playing quidditch, she glanced out the kitchen window and dropped the cup. It shattered but did not pay any heed to it. She was mesmerized at the ethereal being at her grounds, Silvery white wings showing their full magnificence out in the sun. The wings were glowing and she saw a white speck, a white owl besides the winged being. "Harry" she breathed out. Molly went to Ginny's room, she knew her daughter would love the sight.



"Yes mum?" Ginny replied absently as she pushed a bundle of clothes to the hamper. Fleur and Tonks were expanding the room and flicking their wands in a complex movement. "Harry's flying with Hedwig, using his wings if you want to know" Molly replied. The three girls snapped to her direction then took off. Out in the back porch near the pitch they stood as they saw Harry circling, well gliding around and would then try diving, tucking in his wings before swooping up and fanning out the wings. The girls sighed as once mesmerized. "e iz magnifique oui?" Fleur asked absently."yeah..." Tonk and Ginny absently replied. The four women stood there for several minutes mesmerized at the sight.



Suddenly the Floo turned green and one Hermione Granger stepped out, dragging her trunk with Crookshanks, her pet familiar cradled on her chest. She noticed no one greeted her which was most unusual. She dropped of Crookshanks who went out the front door to presumably chase garden gnomes. He loved playing with them. Drawing out her wand she walked towards where she heard whispered voices.



"Such a heartwarming sight"



"ee is very amazing non? Only a few minutes and he iz able to do zis!"



"if that's not beautiful, I don't know what its"



Recognizing one as Ginny's, she opened the door past the kitchen into the back porch. "Good morning Ginny, Mrs. Weasley, Tonks and Fleur, What are you doing out here?" She asked rather loudly, wanting them to know she was here and not eves dropping on their conversation. "Shhh!" Ginny said and pointed to the sky at the qudditch pitch. Following the finger, she gasped and saw a man with Silvery Wings, flying gracefully out in the sun, the wings flashing whenever it caught the right angle. It was impossible, even in the world of magic. Perhaps... Hermione thought. But they do not exist. Maybe Luna was right. But here is proof right before her eyes. She could not contain her curiosity anymore and blurted out loudly "ITS AN ANGEL!" The angel having heard this turned his head in their direction and angled his wings toward them.



The angel flew up then then dived, tucking its wings in a w shape and before hitting the ground, swept out its wings, breaking the fall and then landing. The angel looked at Hermione and grinned. Emerald eyes sparkled in delight. "Hermione!" it said in a familiar but deeper male voice. "I'm no angel Hermy" it teased, and Hermione stopped looking at the wings. She glanced at its muscled arms then sweaty well formed chest and she unconsciously licked her lips. She looked at the familiar face, the emerald green eyes and a scar on its forehead. A lightning bolt scar.'Impossible' She thought. "Harry? She asked weakly. "Hey Hermione. Thanks for the pants", Harry grinned cheekily. It was him, oh Merlin and she fainted.



---------------------------------------------------------------------



A/N: Thank you for the reviews for my first ever attempt at Fan fiction. There will be no Harem, as Harry would be a one "bird" only kind of man. Although it would be funny to see various girls try flirt with him and shoot down his chosen "mate". There will be no Evil Manipulative Dumbledore in this Fan Fiction, That is so clich
Sign up to rate and review this story