Categories > Cartoons > X-Men: Evolution > Aftermath

CHAPTER 9

by Quillian 0 reviews

Nightcrawler's POV...

Category: X-Men: Evolution - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst, Drama - Characters: Nightcrawler - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-03-23 - Updated: 2006-03-24 - 1038 words

0Unrated
DISCLAIMER: See the Prologue.

SPECIAL DISCLAIMER: See the Prologue.


CHAPTER 9

Sometimes, philosophies like those about my faith's on forgiveness are easier said and done...

Kurt "Nightcrawler" Wagner cherished his religious upbringing and all the philosophy that went with him, including the wisdom about forgiveness, but there were times even for him where it was difficult and seemed almost impossible for him to forgive.

He didn't know if he could forgive people like Kelly, Trask and Stryker and everyone else involved in those mutant massacres, but he had a feeling that if he didn't let go, he would end up resentful and waste his life on those negative feelings.

They may be the ones who did those horrible crimes, but it's your choice whether to not let go of your anger for the rest of your life.

It was a lesson which people like Eric Lensherr and Raven Darkholme were only now learning from - which was a good thing, all things considered.

Kurt didn't feel sympathy for those people, especially after all they had done... instead, he felt something more like pity.

He pitied those three men for wasting their lives trying to rid the world of mutants. If only they hadn't believed their own stereotypes and lies about mutants, they could have done something for good in the world. Kelly could have been an influential educator or senator striving for human-mutant peace, Trask could have used his anthropological or technological skills to help people, and Stryker could have used his military talents to fight against people like terrorists. Instead, they wasted their lives on their own delusions.

As Kurt sadly mused to himself, Sometimes, really important lessons come with heavy prices to be paid. In this case, it took their lives to warn people against doing the sort of things they did.

As the German-born mutant sat on the rooftop of the newly rebuilt mansion, gazing out into the distance, he also thought, Of course, the lives of those three men were only the last to be taken...

He still had nightmares about seeing the bodies of his friends, as well as the Brotherhood, the Acolytes, the Morlocks... but above all else, there was Rogue.

With some bitterness, Kurt thought back to when he was angry at Rogue and wouldn't talk to her after she destroyed Mystique - or rather, a "statue" of Mystique. How tragically ironic, considering now when he was reunited with his biological mother and his adoptive sister was now definitely dead.

It had taken much consolation on Kurt's part and even a faith-oriented lesson or two in order to help his grieving mother, but he was more than willing to do so. While Raven would always bear emotional scars, they did heal bit by bit over time, and would continue to do so.

Also, it seemed to Kurt that some new happiness had entered Raven's life: Logan.

At first, Kurt - along with everyone else - had been shocked by this sudden relationship that was starting to grow between the shapeshifting and feral mutant, mostly because no one would have ever guessed that the two of them could be considered compatible that way. Still, Kurt wasn't about to complain, because after all his mother had endured, she truly deserved it. There was also the fact that at first, Kurt fretted over the idea of Logan being his mother's romantic interest - or even possibly his future stepfather! But the more Kurt thought about that, the more he realized that if such a thing did happen, it would be nothing to fret over: After all, Logan might be tough, but he certainly wasn't cruel, as well as how Logan definitely did what he could to protect his own. Ultimately, while Kurt might not have foreseen his mother in a relationship with Logan, he wasn't about to protest it, either.

And speaking of new and developing relationships...

A few months back, he would have never guessed that he would have feelings for Wanda.

After his break-up with Amanda, he didn't know if he could ever find someone else he could love and be loved by again. Granted, Amanda didn't hate him for his looks or his being a mutant, but the whole human-mutant relationship thing had taken its toll in a different way, ultimately breaking them up.

At first, all Kurt intended was to try and help Wanda with the concept of forgiveness, so she wouldn't be kept chained by her own anger and bitterness like her father. But, as time went on, it was no longer simply a matter of his spirit and optimism being like medicine for her soul, but he actually began to reciprocate with her. Underneath her tough exterior was a sensitive person just like any other person.

Of course... just starting a relationship with Wanda came with a few small prices to pay.

First of all was a certain "talk" given by his mother, and while Kurt did appreciate her doing her job, it still made fighting the FOH seem almost preferable in comparison. Then there was Wanda's father... he made it quite clear that if anything bad happened to Wanda, he would make Kurt pay, not as a tyrannical mutant but as a father, and Kurt was wise to take that seriously. Finally, there was Wanda's twin brother Pietro. While the worst Kurt got out of that were a few funny looks from the speedster, he still had this feeling that Pietro's protectiveness would be something he'd have to deal with on a certain basis in the future.

Kurt saw his life as one trial after another, with some trials being like those which nearly everyone deals with, while others seemed unique in that they only happened to him or his fellow mutants as well. Part of his philosophy was that one just had to appreciate the good and accept the bad in life, taking them together.

Feeling that he'd spent enough time on the roof, he teleported back inside, thinking, I wonder if Wanda wants to do anything at the moment...


A/N: All in all, I think I did this chapter rather well, because I was kind of looking forward to writing this one...

Next chapter is, obviously, about another X-Man... -Quillian
Sign up to rate and review this story