Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Dark Light Within

Uncovering Secrets

by Concealed-Convict 21 reviews

New OCs introduced as the group take a trip to Daigon Alley

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Fantasy - Characters: Fleur,Harry - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2009-01-12 - Updated: 2009-01-12 - 5226 words

5Ambiance
A/N: I don’t own Harry Potter.

A/N 2: Thanks to everyone who has been reviewing. About two hours after I posted the last chapter I had a fair amount of reviews: you work fast, but it is always inspirational.

A/N 3: Thanks for the ideas on the gifts. I am still willing to receive any suggestions. If anyone wants to design an OC as well I would think about including he/she/it in my story. Please include background information though.

A/N 4: I don’t like this chapter, but it needs to be put in here to introduce a view characters and some other stuff.

Chapter 8: Uncovering Secrets

Harry woke up, reviewing what had happened last night. As he sorted through the images that had appeared in his mind he realised how simple they were; the pain probably shocked him so much he couldn’t comprehend what they would be. He was surprised at what the chamber had done to him and wondered what had happened to Fleur. She wasn’t in the room with him so he went to find her, still dressed in what he went to bed in: his trousers and boxers. He was so tired last night that he hadn’t bothered to take them off before collapsing onto the bed beside Fleur.

As he walked he thought about the bond. Fleur had said it needed affection to form. Harry recalled memories of the end of his fourth year; he decided that the friendship formed after the second task and the occasional run-ins had led to their feelings for each other. Having had no previous experiences in the matter, he couldn’t tell what the feelings were, and more recently the emotions he felt towards Daphne and Tracey while he was around them would have masked any possible relations with the French veela.

“I really didn’t mean for it to happen,” said Fleur’s voice from Daphne and Tracey’s room.

“We know,” said Daphne.

“You don’t have to apologise so much,” agreed Tracey.

“I just want us to get on well. Harry feels strongly about the two of you, and you got him first. It just makes me think about how I felt when I found Bill cheating on me.”

They weren’t arguing, which was probably a good thing thought Harry. He strolled calmly into the room.

“Morning” he greeted the girls.

“Hey,” said Daphne and Tracey.

“Good morning sexy,” remarked Fleur.

“Down girl, calm!” said Daphne, in the tone of voice muggles would use with a dog. This was followed by laughter from everyone in the room.

“So, do you know what gifts you got Fleur?” asked Harry.

“Yeah!” exclaimed Fleur.

After the two had told each other what they had received Daphne and Tracey commented on how cool it was.

“I wish I could’ve got a gift,” said Daphne longingly.

“We’ll find a way,” said Harry, then he quickly changed the subject, “Any idea what we’re doing today?”

“I think I overheard mum saying that we’re going to Diagon Alley to pick up school stuff,” answered Tracey.

“I should probably call into headquarters then, kick Dumbledore and his lot out of my house,” said Harry.

“Harry!” exclaimed Fleur.

“What?” questioned Harry, thinking that he had done something wrong.

“You shouldn’t be able to talk about it! It’s under the fidelius charm!”

“Apparently it’s not any more” joked Harry.

“Get a move on!” shouted Mark from downstairs, “We’re leaving in half an hour!”

*

Harry appeared in the Leaky Cauldron under a dark cloak layered with a shadow charm to hide his identity, everybody was wearing one. The group would split in two. Harry, Fleur, Daphne and Tracey would collect what they needed, while the rest would do their shopping. They were to meat up outside the Leaky Cauldron at four that afternoon. Harry and Fleur would then go to Grimmauld Place and get rid of the Order of the Fried Chicken.

The first stop for Harry and the girls was Gringotts. Harry had decided to allow the girls access to the hidden room so that they could make their own focuses as he was the one the room was intended for: no one else would need them. While the girls were making their focuses he would buy a magical trunk and remove all the remaining ingredients along with some other items. You can never tell when it’ll come in useful.

As he walked through the Alley he noticed that people seemed to be avoiding him; it was probably because he looked like a Dark Lord. He chuckled at the fact that he was, just not in the way that people knew the term.

While his group was walking up the steps to the Gringotts entrance a team of aurors appeared and surrounded them, blocking his path.

“Move out of my way!” Harry ordered, thankful that the cloak also had a charm to alter his voice. He noticed that one of the aurors seemed to want to move, but stayed where he was. He had long unkempt brown hair and looked like Sirius after his escape or Remus after one of his transformations.

“The fucking werewolf is shitting himself!” exclaimed one of the aurors.

“I’m not afraid: this just doesn’t feel right” argued the one the auror had addressed as a werewolf. This was interesting.

“Great. In an effort to improve relations Fudge orders us to accept a werewolf into the Auror Corps and he was assigned to my patrol. First bit of action he shits himself. There’s no way another off your kind will get in again,” said the auror in front of Harry who was obviously the leader.

“Stop arguing among yourselves,” interrupted Harry. “Are you going to try stop us or not?” he asked sarcastically.

The aurors wheeled to face him. “By order of decree 184, I am authorised to place you under arrest for being part of a terrorist organisation,” said the head auror as he held his wand pointed at Harry.

Harry slowly raised his hands into the air. “I could point out a few flaws in your operation here, you know.”

“Like what?”

“Number 1: none of us are Death Eaters; I just like my privacy and number two: just because someone doesn’t have a wand doesn’t mean that they’re defenceless.”

As a look of confusion passed over the auror’s face Harry sent a stunner towards him. At once the girls behind him leapt into action. Within seconds the aurors, except the werewolf, were unconscious. Harry turned to face the werewolf and spoke to him.

“Get yourself a better job. You don’t want me as your enemy and right now I’m not very fond of the Ministry.” It was only advice, but the man instantly threw his auror badge to the ground.

“I’ll not work for a pack of bigoted pricks,” he spat.

A crowd had gathered round to watch the spectacle and Harry turned to face them. He recognised a few people from school who were openly staring at him.

“Let this be a warning to you all. Times are about to change and if you don’t adapt you will be left behind.” It was melodramatic, but it definitely caught their attention. Four people had managed to incapacitate an eight man auror team without much effort within seconds and had proceeded to make a veiled threat.

The girls were already walking inside and Harry pivoted on his left foot to follow them. The crowd outside sat in silence before dispersing. Some attempted to follow the group inside but by the time they had entered they had disappeared.

Harry quickly cast off the cloak as the goblin led them down to his vault. He didn’t want to cause a scene by appearing alone dressed like a Death Eater. After leaving the girls in the room with the instructions he walked briskly back to the waiting goblin.

A few short minutes later Harry stood outside Gringotts, well aware of the attention he was attracting. He nearly laughed as he walked towards the trunk shop; everybody continued to avoid him, even without the cloak. That article in the paper probably scared them all; the pictures must have helped a bit too.

The store had a wide range of trunks which ranged from the standard school model right up to the type the fake Moody had used, complete with magically enlarged bottom drawer. In the end Harry settled on a trunk with five separate compartments. He would use one to store clothes and the rest would be used for potion ingredients, books, weapons and the last would be home to any miscellaneous items such as his Firebolt. He had the money to pay for it; he had even over-estimated the amount he would need.

Harry shrunk his trunk, pocketed it and made two decisions. The first was to protect his trunk and the contents of it; the second was that he had the time and money to buy all the school books for himself and the girls. He turned left as he exited the store and strolled down that side of the street, ducking into each shop to buy what he needed.

As he exited the apothecary he spotted some people he didn’t really want to see. He attempted to hide, but was too late. He could only watch helplessly as Molly, Ginny and Ron Weasley approached. They were obviously shopping for school books. As they got nearer Harry also noticed Hermione. He wondered how she would react: they had been best friends for the past five years and he could sense a confrontation brewing between him and the Weasleys.

“Harry!” exclaimed Molly, “What are you doing here? It’s not safe.”

“Shopping,” Harry responded sharply. “What does it look like?”

“Don’t talk to my mum in that way Harry!” shouted Ginny.

“Fuck off, whore.” Harry’s anger towards most of the Weasleys had been building up inside him and now seemed like a good time to vent it. They were in a public place and what he was about to do would gain a lot of publicity.

“What the hell happened to you, Harry?” asked Ginny quietly.

“I learnt what you were planning to do to me, that’s what. You were going to lace my food with a love potion and then send me after Voldemort in the hope that I would die. Sorry to tell you, but it isn’t going to happen, bitch.”

Ginny ran away in tears, Molly looked torn between staying and following her daughter. Eventually she chose to follow her daughter. However, Ron had chosen to stay and argue some more.

“What the fuck Potter?”

“Ask your whore of a sister that if you want an answer!”

“Don’t call my sister a whore.”

“Then don’t try to poison me,” said Harry, his voice almost a whisper.

“Fuck you!”

“Your sister would,” said Harry. He knew it was a cheap shot, but it was too good to let slide.

He was surprised by Ron’s reaction though as he suddenly punched him in the face. Harry could feel the blood dripping from his nose. He stood there as Ron tried to stare him down.

“What’s wrong, bastard? Afraid that the Chosen One won’t be able to handle himself. He’s being out done by his sidekick.”

Harry remained silent, which only infuriated Ron further. Ron hit him again. This time Harry felt the rage overcome him. He didn’t think; he reacted.

As Ron went to punch Harry for a third time, he quickly reached up and grabbed his arm. Harry delivered a quick punch to one of Ron’s kidneys and forced his arm up around his back. He spun round and used the leverage on Ron’s arm and the momentum of their turn to force Ron’s head through the window that was behind him a second age. He heard a crack as bone broke, but didn’t care. He left Ron lying, dazed and bleeding, on the window display as he fished into his pocket. He pulled out a few galleons and threw them in the window; hoping it would be enough to cover the damages.

The people milling around the Alley were stunned at the encounter. Harry had been fast and aggressive, quickly forcing Ron out of the fight. Many openly gapped at the remains of the once famous friendship. Hermione just stood there, seemingly unable to do anything except watch as Harry strolled away. There was one last place he wanted to visit before leaving Diagon Alley.

As he approached the fluorescent green shop he noticed that the sign had changed. It now read “Wizarding Wheezes.” Harry stopped and stood to the side of the door before quickly pushing it open. He waited three seconds and entered just in time to get caught in some falling multicoloured dust.

He realised too late that Fred and George had caught him. Instantly he felt his nose starting to bleed.

At once one of the twins started talking “Ah, welcome. I see that you have discovered the wonders of Wizarding Wheezes. The wheeze you are currently demonstrating has shown great potential for getting out of class, and generally skiving off anything unpleasant.”

Harry looked up and stared straight at George. “Oops sorry, Harry. Here, eat this. It’ll make the effects go away.”

“Thanks. What happened to the shop?”

“What do you mean?”

“The name thing.”

“Oh, that. We, that is Fred and I, have disowned the rest of our family. There was quite an argument at our place. Arthur, Molly, Ron, Ginny and Bill all sided with Dumbledore against you.”

“What about Charlie?”

“He’s waiting to hear your side of the story. To be honest, I think the only reason Bill sided against you is that you have been spotted with Fleur. I think he’s still pissed that she dumped him.”

“Didn’t he tell you about why she broke up with him?”

“No, but I get the feeling you are.”

“Fleur caught him, as she put it, eating the face of another woman.”

“Ah, that would be a fairly good reason.”

“I’m sorry about you having to disown your family, by the way.”

“No problem. We always viewed you like a brother, but the rest have acted like real pricks towards you.”

“Thanks,” said Harry, then quickly changed the subject, “Got any new Wheezes for me to try out?”

“We’re working on a new line you might find useful.”

“Is that all the information you’re going to give me?”

“Yeah, full details will be released after it’s done.”

Harry glanced at a muggle novelty clock hanging behind George. “The girls will nearly be done. I’d better start heading back.”

“Where are they?”

“Gringotts.” Harry started moving towards the door, but George grabbed his arm and wheeled him away from it.

“I wouldn’t do that. There is a muggle tripwire hidden there that activates the wheezes. It’s been charmed as well, so it resets itself.”

“Then, how do I leave?”

“Employee’s exit,” explained George, pointing towards a statue which looked as if the twins had experimented on it.

“The password is the same as the marauder’s map.”

Harry left the shop and walked swiftly back to Gringotts, hoping to avoid further confrontation.

He reached the entrance just in time to see the girls step confidently from the carriage that would’ve brought them back to the surface; obviously they didn’t mind the speed. Fleur ran towards him and wrapped her arms around him, planting a kiss on each of his cheeks. Harry’s face quickly became red with embarrassment due to the public display of affection.

“I’ve got all the shopping done,” said Harry.

“Thanks, Harry, what do we owe you?” asked Daphne.

“You don’t have to pay me back, look at every thing you have done for me.”

“Look at every thing you’ve done for us, as well. We will pay you back,” argued Tracey.

“Right, we’ll decide that later. Anyway, how about we explore muggle London for a couple of hours?” asked Harry, neglecting to mention the earlier incidents outside the apothecary.

As he turned around to lead the girls out he felt his shoulder collide with someone, who promptly fell to the ground. Harry held out a hand to help the girl up. She took it gladly as he said his apologies.

As she straightened up she looked at Harry, “Potter.”

“Zabini.”

Blaise Zabini was the role model for any pureblood female. She held herself straight and appeared quite aloof, even unemotional at times. In her first year she had been bullied and developed a mask to hide behind; this led to her being referred to as the Ice Queen of Slytherin, but only behind her back. Her grandfather was a professional dueller and had taught her a few tricks, as well as spells. There were stories of how a third year Slytherin was unfortunate enough to say it to her face: he didn’t leave the hospital wing for more than a week.

Their staring match was interrupted by a pair of squeals from behind Harry.

“Blaise!” screamed Daphne and Tracey.

Zabini’s usually unreadable face broke into a smile as she recognised the girls. “Daphne! Tracey!” The girls shared a hug while Harry and Fleur stood awkwardly to one side. “What are you doing here?”

“We’re here with Harry,” answered Daphne, craftily dodging the question.

“Since when did you call Potter Harry?”

“Since I saved his life,” stated Daphne nonchalantly.

“What the hell? Explain now.”

“Is there anything you need to do here? It’s quite a story.”

“Not any more, I was just returning some money I hadn’t spent.”

“Cool, look, we’re going into muggle London, want to join us?”

“What will Potter say?”

“Who cares what Harry will say? If he disagrees I know a certain veela who can punish him thoroughly.”

“Hey, let’s not go that far,” interrupted Harry. “I don’t mind. You two trust her, so she can come with us.”

“That’s good Harry,” said Fleur smoothly, “I would have hated to remove certain privileges you have.”

“What privileges are those?” asked Zabini, who was obviously confused.

“Let’s just say that a couple of nights ago, nobody within about a mile got any sleep. Fleur was screaming I pleasure. The stupid bastards forgot silencing charms.”

“Oh.”

Harry lowered his head, embarrassed again, but Fleur spoke up. “It was great, I wanted the world to know that Harry Potter can and will make a woman feel unbelievably good.”

“Harry, you’re going to have to put a leash on her or something; she’s out of control,” said Tracey.

“Sounds like fun,” was Fleur’s quick reply.

Zabini spluttered at Fleur’s openness.

Harry decided to quickly change the subject and spoke to Zabini.

“Look,” he said, “I trust these girls and they have a high opinion of you, but it appears as if we have some … misconceptions about each other, so how about we give it a fresh start?”

“Hey!” exclaimed Zabini, holding out her hand, “I’m Blaise.”

Harry took her hand gently in his own and kissed her knuckles, “Harry,” he said simply.

*

Nearly two hours later the group left a muggle restaurant and started walked slowly back towards the Leaky Cauldron. After an hour and a half of shopping Harry managed to convince the girls to get a bite to eat. He had grown tired of having to tell the girls how wonderful they looked as they tried on clothes and the jealous looks he was getting from nearly every man made Harry feel uneasy.

They had forced Blaise to take an oath of silence before telling her what had happened during the summer. Harry also found that once you got passed the girls’ emotionless exterior she was a warm and bubbly person with a great sense of humour. He had no idea why she had been bullied, but decided not to talk about it because it might be a sore topic. Instead he extended an invitation to her to visit them at Potter Hall. The holidays were nearly over though so the chances of that happening were fairly slim.

As the walked down the road Harry’s sharp eyes picked out a man wearing a hooded robe in front of them. After telling the girls this they fell back and waited to see what he would do.

Suddenly, they heard a screech of a muggle vehicle’s brakes. Harry quickly looked up and took the sight in. There was oil on the road; the car had been in the process of overtaking. It had skidded and the driver had applied the brakes, which only worsened the problem. The car looked as if it was going to hit the robed man ahead, and at the sort of speed it was travelling at the man would die.

Before he stopped to think Harry began running towards the man, but he was too far away. Harry could only watch as the car rapidly closed the gap between itself and the man. The driver was struggling to control the car, but the man stood motionless. Harry was getting nearer and nearer, but was going to be too late. That didn’t stop him trying though. Suddenly the man raised his hands and the car seemed to be blasted into the air where it froze, motionless about two feet of the ground. The muggles in the vicinity stared at the figure.

Harry thought quickly; that was very high level wandless magic. The aurors would be here any second with a team of obliviators. Harry didn’t know why, but he had a feeling that the man would not want the attention of the local police force, so he continued to run. As he sprinted past the man he lifted him into the fireman’s lift and turned right into the Leaky Cauldron. He hastily asked Tom, the barman, for a room and explained that he would pay later.

He unceremoniously dumped the man onto the bed, before looking at him. What he saw surprised him: it wasn’t a man; it was a teenage boy, about the same age as him. His face was pale and his eyes were a bright red: he was a vampire. The boy slowly lowered his hood the rest of the way. His long pure black hair was tied back into a loose ponytail. As he spoke Harry could see the sharp looking fangs.

“Who are you?” he asked.

“Harry Potter,” replied Harry honestly.

“No shit. Who are you?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean when you grabbed me. I thought about struggling, but some sense told me not to. Who are you?”

“The Dark Lord,” said Harry. Something about the boy exuded trust and he told him the events of the summer, but left out certain details about his relationships with the girls. “What about you?”

“Shit that’s a story, although it does explain why I wouldn’t hit you. I could’ve, but something told me not to. Anyway, my tale isn’t half as good as that.”

“I want to hear it anyway.”

“My name’s Peter Johnson, born 8th August 1980. Both my parents are muggles. I was kidnapped when I was eight by vampires. Everyone thinks I’m dead, which I am, in a way, and I learned how to survive as one of them for two years. When I was ten I started doing accidental magic. My clan didn’t like that, they started hunting me down. I barely managed to escape and have been on the run for six years.”

“Shit, how did you survive?”

“I stole from muggles. You know something?”

“What?”

“For the Dark Lord, you trust people too easily.”

“What was that you did outside?”

“Magic.”

“Yeah, but I’ve never seen anything like it. How did you do it?”

“I dunno; I just sorta feel it.”

“Right, where were you going anyway?”

“I was trying to find food. I guess I would just sit around for a few days after that.”

“What about after those days?”

“I got an invitation to Hogwarts. It said something about learning control.”

“So, you’ll be going into first year?”

“Nope, I’ve got to do exams once I arrive before they decide what year I’m in.”

“You’ll nail the practical shit. Do you have a wand?”

“Don’t need one; my wandless magic is strong enough.”

“Right, what are you going to do before Hogwarts?”

“Dunno, same as I’ve always done probably. Wander around and steal food.”

“Don’t you have anywhere to stay?”

“Not since my clan nearly killed me. They don’t like wizarding magic.”

“Come with me then.”

“What?”

“It’s only for a few days. It’ll be a place to rest and get food. You’re also magically strong, but probably weak on theory. We’ll help you get ready for those exams.”

“We?”

“Yeah, me and the ladies listening outside the door. Two are students in my year and the third is going to be an assistant professor.” At this the three women in question walked sheepishly into the room. Harry heard someone else move outside and leapt to his feet.

The person slowly walked into the room with his head down, wearing auror robes. As he looked up Harry recognised the werewolf auror from earlier. He knelt before Harry, bowing his head. Harry was seriously confused.

“I want to thank you for earlier,” he started. “I know it was you beneath those robes: it is your scent. It is one of the benefits of being a werewolf: increased senses. The discrimination is terrible though, it has driven many of my kind to evil and I was outcast for agreeing to join the aurors, even if it was only on a trial basis.”

“Okay…” said Harry, who was really confused now.

“I heard what you said about being the Dark Lord and I want to ask you a favour.”

“What?”

“Will you hire me? I will work for you as a bodyguard for my keep. I’ve been outcast by both the wizarding society as a whole and by the werewolves, simply for trying to bridge the divide between the two.”

Harry thought to himself about the advantages of having a bodyguard: it would be another wand when the fighting started; it would also help to have someone with heightened senses around, including a sixth sense. He couldn’t see any reason why he shouldn’t hire the werewolf and told him so.

“What about during the full moon? What will you do then?” he asked.

“I am unique.”

“What do you mean?”

“I can control the transformations. It was the only reason the aurors agreed to take me on. For me, lycanthropy is like an animagus transformation. I’ve been affected since birth. I must transform on the full moon, but I am still myself. I can transform at other times as well.”

“Right, well, I have some other business to attend to,” said Harry. “I’ll just go back to Potter Hall and adjust the wards to allow you access. What’s your name?”

“Matthew Hunter. I’m a half-blood, my dad’s muggle-born.”

*

The Order of the Phoenix meeting was in progress. Seated around the table were Tonks, who was reporting back to Harry, Dumbledore and nearly all the Hogwarts teachers, Arthur, Bill and Charlie Weasley and Remus Lupin. Most of the other members were standing inside the room. Moody’s eye was whirling around furiously and nearly always seemed to return to a point outside the door.

“We’ve got a guest, Albus,” he interrupted quietly.

Harry took that as his cue to enter the room.

“Correction: I’ve got a lot of guests,” he said.

“Harry, where have you been?” asked Dumbledore, acting like the grandfather figure again.

“As if you give a shit.”

“Harry, don’t go down this path.”

“What the fuck are you on about?”

“”Don’t turn dark, Harry. It is a long and dangerous path; one that I do not wish for you to take. Now, can you explain your actions at the Delacour’s mansion?”

“Fleur asked me for help and I saved them.”

“You killed people Harry, yet you don’t appear to care.” Dumbledore was still trying to get Harry back under his thumb using the grandfather route.

“I grew up; it’s kill or be killed. The Ministry is full of bigoted pureblood pricks and any of the bastards which are arrested will be released within a week. You know this.”

“Harry -” Dumbledore started.

“You know what?” interrupted Harry sharply, “I don’t have time for this. All of you can get the fuck out of my house.”

The people in the room were shocked at Harry’s actions towards the Headmaster and started to protest at Harry’s announcement. He turned to walk out of the room, ignoring them, and declared “You have five minutes.”

He heard someone start an incantation for a spell and dived to his left. As he rose he saw Bill Weasley pointing his wand at him, his face a mask of anger. “You little bastard!” he shouted. “You stole my girlfriend and then you have the audacity to kick us out of here! I’ll fucking curse you so badly the muggles technology combined with magic wouldn’t be able to revive you.”

Harry responded calmly and watched as Bill grew angrier and more out of control. “Number one: I didn’t steal Fleur; she left you because she caught you. Number two: this is my home and I am fully within my rights to kick you out. Number three: you couldn’t curse your way out of a wet paper bag.”

Bill aimed his wand at Harry, only to get hit in the back by a stunner. As Bill fell to the floor Harry saw Charlie holding his wand behind him. At once the room erupted into madness as people defended either Harry or Bill. Instead of joining in Harry calmly stepped out of the room and shouted “If you want more information talk to the twins at Wizarding Wheezes.” As he exited the front door the room descended into chaos.

*

A/N: Sorry about this chapter again: I don’t like it. It’s shit.

A/N 2: Still willing to take suggestions for the gifts given to Harry and Fleur by the chamber.

A/N 3: I’m going to put this here now: There is a way around the bond for Daphne and Tracey. I’m tired of reading reviews and PMs from people complaining about that.

A/N 4: I’m also getting bored of people saying that my story is clichéd. I stated in chapter two that it would be so if you don’t like the fact why bother reading the story?

Thanks for reading. Please review
Concealed-Convict
Sign up to rate and review this story