Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Clanluna

Chapter 28: Brith, Death, Partings and Hunting

by selenepotter 0 reviews

Birth, Death, Partings and Hunting

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Crossover,Romance - Characters: Luna - Warnings: [!!!] [V] [?] - Published: 2008-06-29 - Updated: 2008-06-30 - 3012 words - Complete

3Original
Clanluna

Chapter 28: Birth, Death, Partings and Hunting



Harry Potter is owned by JK Rowling
Earth’s Children is owned by Jean Auel



Luna’s Clan List

Deceased members:
Iga – mother of Ebra and Uka
Uba – mother of Creb, Brun and Iza
---Creb (37) – former Mog-Ur, 1st Weez-Ur (Roe Deer/Ursus totem),
---Iza (28) – Uba’s mother, adopted mother of Ayla
---Ebra (41) – Brun’s mate, Broud’s mother
---------Broud (21) – former Leader (Wooly Rhinoceros totem)
Dorv
Zoug (43) – second in command to the leader before Brun



Living Members:

Thonlan (17) – Other, Woodworker, Jondolar’s brother, 14th Ranked male Hunter (Cave Lion totem)
---Luna (23) – Other, Leader, 1st Weech, Creb’s widow, Thonlan’s mate, (Snorkack totem)
-------Zeen – (4) ½ Clan, son of Luna, Goov’s Acolyte, 2nd Weez-Ur (Ursus Totem)
---------Ansalong (12) - Owl
---------Winter Sleeper (3) – Cave Bear

Zar (23) ½ Clan, 1st Ranked male hunter, Goov’s Acolyte, Clanluna’s Acolyte, (Ursus Totem)
---Ayla (17) – Other, Clan’s 1st Ranked Medicine Woman, 2nd Weech, 2nd Ranked Woman-Who-Hunts, Zar’s Mate, (Cave Lion totem)
--------Durc (6) – ½ Clan, Ayla’s son, (Gray Wolf totem)
--------Iza (4) – ¼ Clan, Ayla’s daughter, 3rd Weech (Unicorn Totem)
--- Aris (Ariadneris of the Smilodon Camp of the Sungaea) (26) – Other, Iga’s sister.


Vorn (16) – Clan, 2nd Ranked male hunter
---Uba (11) – Clan, Medicine Woman, Vorn’s mate
------Uma (2) – Clan, Uba’s daughter

Goov (23) – Clan, mog-ur, 11th Ranked male hunter, (Aurochs totem/Ursus totem)
---Ovra (21) – Clan, Goov’s mate, (Beaver totem)
------Oogra (2) – Clan, Ovra’s daughter

Groog (28) – 1/8 Clan, 3rd Ranked male hunter (megaceros totem)
---Iga (24) - Other, (formerly: Andromedanaea of the Sungaea) 3rd Ranked Woman-Who-Hunts, red-foot, Clanluna (one-who-serves-the-Mother) Groog’s Mate
------Griga (2) – 1/16 Clan, Iga’s daughter
---Dyondar (Jondolar of the Zelandonii) (20) – Other, flintknapper, Thonolan’s brother (Cave Lion totem)
---Ody (Odyseusarpedon of the Megaceros Camp the Sungaea) (17) – Other, Ayla’s cousin.


Broog (22) – ½ Clan, 4th Ranked male hunter
---Ena (21) – ½ Clan, 4th Ranked Woman-Who-Hunts
------Boov (7) – ½ Clan son of Ena

Vorv (20) – ½ Clan, 5th Ranked male hunter
---Uva (18) – ½ Clan, mate of Vorv
------Broov (7) – ½ Clan son of Uva (looks full Clan)
------Ugra (6) – ½ Clan daughter of Uva (looks full Others) training to become Woman-Who-Hunts
------Vorva (2) – ½ Clan daughter of Uva
Crug (25) – Clan, 6th Ranked male hunter (wolf totem)
---Ika (23) – Clan, Crug’s mate
------Crik (2) – Clan, Ika’s son
---Oga (20) – Clan, Crug’s 2nd mate, Broud’s widow (hamster totem)
------Grev (7) – Clan, Oga’s 2nd son
------Dorv (2) Clan, Oga’s 3rd son

Borg (12) – Clan, 7th Ranked male hunter, (Boar totem)
---Ona (12) – Clan, Borg’s mate (Owl totem)
------Bona (2) Clan, Ona’s daughter

Brac (11) – Clan, Oga’s 1st son, 8th Ranked hunter (Bison totem)
---Igra (9) – Clan, Ika’s daughter, Brac’s Mate

Groob (9) – Clan, Aga’s son, 9th Ranked male Hunter
---Eva (10) – ½ Clan daughter of Ena, 5th Ranked Woman-Who-Hunts

Brun (36) – Clan, former leader, 10th Ranked male hunter (Bison totem)
---Aba (38) (ground squirrel totem) Brun’s mate

Grod (32) – Clan, son of the mate of Zoug, 12th Ranked male hunter (Brown Bear totem)
---Uka (28) – Clan, Ebra’s sister, Grod’s Mate

Droog (34) – Clan, toolmaker, Aga’s mate, 13th Ranked male hunter
---Aga (27) – Clan, Droog’s mate



Ekwus (3) – Leader of the Centaur Herd
--- 5 Unicorns – Ekwus’ Mates.
------3 Unicorns (1)
------2 Centaurs (1)


Thonlan was going crazy with worry. His hearth was next to Zar’s so he could easily hear and see Luna as she struggled to birth her child. Ayla had been facing away from him when the baby started crying and Ayla made her announcement to the Leader. When Ayla turned towards him, he sprang over the boundary stones to accost Ayla.

‘’Is she alright! Is the baby okay?’’ demanded Thonlan in Zelandonii.

‘’They’re both healthy,’’ assured Ayla.

‘’Thonlan, come look at our daughter,’’ waved Luna when the crowd of women parted to reveal Luna nursing her. ‘’Look! She has your eyes! Let’s name her, Mara, after your mother.’’

‘’This man thinks that she would like that,’’ said Thonlan, as he knelt to gaze into the eyes of the what was obviously not only the daughter of his hearth, but also of his spirit.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

As Iga’s labor progressed, she grew more and more frightened! She was terrified that Luna had chosen the spirit of her rapist cousin, Ajaxerxesirius, to make this baby! Since he had red hair and green eyes like her and her daughter, Girga, she might never know. Ever since Iga first realized she’d been Blessed by Luna, she had been afraid to ask her Goddess whose spirit she’d used, not wanting to know the answer. Ayla’s theory about Pleasures starting babies didn’t reassure Iga either. That narrowed the possible fathers down to Groog, Dyondar, Grev and Ajaxerxesirius!

Iga’s fear grew as she saw the shocked look on Ayla’s face after the baby opened its’ eyes and started crying.

(WHAT’S WRONG! WHAT’S WRONG!) screamed Iga in her mind as she became too flustered to form coherent signs.

Seeing her distress, Ayla handed to the baby to her.

‘’Iga, look! He has Dyondar’s eyes!’’ signed Ayla.

Iga looked in to the eyes of her son, the striking blue eyes of Dyondar and burst into silent tears. Her body shook with silent sobs of joy.

‘’What’s wrong?’’ asked Luna.

Iga pulled Luna down on top of her, nearly crush the baby as she hugged her goddess. When she finally let Luna go, Iga began waving frantically at her.

‘’Oh Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!’’ waved Iga as the tears continued to run down her cheeks.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ayla’s and Uba’s babies were crowning as the same time while Oga was just finishing her delivery. Iga and Luna were attending Ayla, while Aba and Uka attended Uba. This left Ovra and Aga to help Oga.

‘’She’s ripping!’’ signed Ovra, ‘’what do we do?’’

Ayla and Uba screamed in response. It was a combination of the pain of childbirth and frustration.

Iga glanced over and saw how much Oga was bleeding. She knew that even if she could leave Ayla, she’d be unlikely to save Oga. She took her hands out of Ayla where she’d been massaging to help Ayla relax enough to let the baby out without tearing to sign:

‘’Oga is on her way to the Spirit World, Save the baby!’’

Aga nodded and pulled the baby the rest of the way out of Oga. Once she’d done so, the blood really started flowing.
When Luna saw what was happening to Oga, she wished that she’d been able to make a blood replenishing potion. It might have allowed the Clan woman to last long enough for Ayla or Uba to help her. But there wasn’t time to make one now, even if she hadn’t used up the last of the necessary ingredients on Dyondar a year earlier.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Luna looked up from the after breakfast nursing of her daughter to see their visitors, Aris and Ody walking towards her hearth, holding hands. The couple had been inseparable even since the Mother festival.

‘’What can this Leader do for you?’’ asked Luna, recognizing that they wanted to speak to her in her capacity as Leader.

‘’We were very impressed by Oga’s funeral. So we’ve decided that we want to mated here in the Winter, in the Clan’s Cave,’’ signed Aris.

‘’Are you wanting to be adopted into our Clan?’’ asked Luna.

‘’No, we just want to set up our own hearth in the Cave,’’ signed Ody. ‘’It could be a guest hearth after we leave in the spring. This man would like to return for shorter stays in coming years to trade.’’

‘’Alright,’’ nodded Luna.

Goov agreed to perform their mating. He was even able to find totems for them. Being amongst the Clan had overcome Aris’ shyness and she made no effort to be quiet during their period of isolation.

Ena, Uva, Oga, and Igra’s babies were born without incident.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

‘’The snows are almost gone, we should have Eva’s womanhood hunt,’’ suggested Ayla.

‘’This Leader had forgotten about that with all these births, Matings and death,’’ replied Luna. ‘’This Weech could make a portkey to get us near the glacier and we could hunt mammoth.’’

‘’That’s a good idea,’’ replied Ayla. ‘’We’ll need some extra food for the Clan Gathering. But it’s too soon for Ena to go hunting.’’

‘’We have to make it up to her next autumn,’’ signed Luna. ‘’We’ll need to have more hunting in the Autumn to make up for the Clan Gathering.’’


By now, the women-who-hunt had gone on enough mammoth hunts that Luna didn’t need to scout ahead. She just made portkey and whisked herself, Ayla Iga and Eva off to the edge of the Great Northern Glacier, where the Mammoth herds sheltered from the winter storms.

As soon as they arrived, Luna pulled her broom and crystal ball out of the pocket of her parka and enlarged them. After Ayla had stripped down, Luna handed her the broom and silently cast a quick warming charm on her shivering friend. (She hadn’t bothered to tell Ayla that nudity was not necessary for flying) Ayla kicked off and soared into the air while Luna began scrying.

‘’I see them!’’ called out Ayla, in English, from her high vantage point in the air, before zooming off to scout out the herd.

In a few minutes, Ayla had flown back and landed at the feet of the women.

‘’There’s more than many (20) of them,’’ signed Ayla, while saying out loud the counting word for 20 that Luna had taught them.

‘’We don’t need that many,’’ signed Luna. ‘’Two will be enough. And we should let Eva make the first kill since this is her Womanhood hunt. Ayla, this Leader wants you to stay in the air and be ready to rescue anyone who is in danger of being trampled. They may stampede once we attack.’’

The women nodded, Ayla once again, proud of how well Luna had learned hunting strategy from her. Ayla took to the air as the other three women began sneaking up towards the herd in a triangular formation with Eva in front. They made a wide circle in approaching the herd so they could approach from up wind. When they finally got close enough, Ayla nodded in approval as Eva carefully notched an arrow, and took aim at an old female. Eva patiently took aim and let the arrow fly.

It went straight into the eye socket of the mammoth and deep into her brain! The old mammoth collapsed in convulsions as her brain bled out.

The rest of the herd began panicking! Stampeding in random directions, including straight towards Luna! Ayla dove to rescue her friend when Luna disappeared with a ‘pop!’

Pulling out of her dive, Ayla grazed the woolly hairs on top of the mammoth’s back as she passed over. Just as she began pulling up, Iga’s and Eva’s Arrows went into the beast’s side, bringing it down.

‘’Where’s Luna?’’ called out Ayla, in distress.

‘’Over here,’’ answered Luna, from on top of the Glacier.

By the time Ayla had retrieved Luna, the herd had scattered away, leaving two of them dead on the tundra. Eva Whooped in Joy! She was now, officially a Woman-who- hunts!

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ

‘’Iga, now that it’s Spring, this man needs to return to his people, the Zelandonii,’’ said Dyondar.

‘’You don’t have to leave,’’ replied Iga. ‘’You would be welcome to stay here and officially be Mated with me as the second man of our Hearth. You could even bring in another woman if you like.’’

‘’Nothing would make be happier than to be mated to you,’’ signed Dyondar. ‘’But this man doesn’t belong here. He is not really Dyondar of the Clan, I am Jondolar of the Zelandonii and always will be. Come away with me! You could journey back with me to the land of the Zelandonii. We could have Zelandoni perform the Joining!’’

‘’And what would this woman do amongst your people?’’ asked Iga. ‘’This woman can never speak again! Would she be dependent on you to translate for her? Besides, your people would never accept a woman who Shares Pleasures with a flatheads! And enjoys it! Even more than you are Jondolar of the Zelandonii, this woman is The Clanluna of the Clanluna, first amongst those-who-serve-the-Mother on Earth! How can you think this woman would ever give that up?’’

Iga ran out of the cave silently sobbing and into Groog’s arms for comfort.

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ

‘’I still think you should reconsider this, Jondolar,’’ Said Thonlan, in Zelandonii. ‘’You’re breaking Iga’s heart.’’

‘’All the more reason for me to leave now,’’ replied Jondolar. ‘’I don’t want to hurt her any more.’’

‘’She wants you to stay. I want you to stay. Even Luna wants you to stay,’’ said Thonlan. ‘’Why do you think she picked your spirit when she blessed Iga and Ayla. Surely you’re noticed that both their babies have your eyes?’’

‘’Don’t tell me you believe Iga’s nonsense about Luna being the Great Mother!’’ retorted Jondolar.

‘’Yes I do,’’ replied Thonlan.

‘’Oh Thonolan! What am I going to tell our mother? That my little brother has moved in with a pack of flatheads and is Sharing Pleasures with them?’’ asked Jondolar.

‘’You leave Uba out of this!’’ yelled Thonlan. ‘’She is a good Clan woman! Jondolar, you don’t realize how good we’ve got it here! All you have to do is make the Signal, and any woman in the Clan will Share Pleasures with you, Even Ayla and Iga! And it doesn’t take much affection to make sure that Sharing of Pleasure is mutual. But if you’re so ashamed of me, tell Mother I died!’’

‘’Thonolan!’’ pleaded Jondolar.

‘’I’m serious!’’ retorted Thonlan. ‘’I did die! That cave LION KILLED ME AND I WENT TO THE SPIRIT WORLD! I saw Jetamio and our child there! Luna brought me back from the Spirit world! I’ve seen her do it with her previous mate. She IS the Great Mother! And I am lucky she let me into her furs!’’

‘’You’ve been taking too many of Iga’s mushrooms,’’ said Jondolar, picking up his pack.

‘’At least stay for Grev’s manhood hunt,’’ pleaded Thonlan.

‘’No,’’ said Jondolar. ‘’Goodbye, Brother.’’

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Vorn led the all-Clan contingent of Hunters as they slowly crept up on the herd of Musk oxen. As they snuck forward, they spread out, Brun, Grod, Vorn, Grev, Brac, Borg, Crug, Groob, Droog, and Goov. Far beyond their flanks, Zar and Groog led two other groups, armed with the new spear throwers. Zar’s group, on the right consisted of Himself, Thonlan, and Ody. Groog’s group, on the left had Himself, Broog and Vorv.

When Zar, with his keen, Clan eyesight had judge that all groups were in position, he slowly raised and lowered his spear so that Groog and Vorn would know to be ready without his having to make a sudden movement that would frighten the herd. Thonlan and Ody followed his example and each put a spear in their Atyl (spear thrower). When Zar cast his spear, the other two followed his example. Their spears flew through the air. Zar’s stuck deeply into the chest of a Musk Ox that fell to its’ knees and rolled over dead when Ody’s speer sunk into its’ neck. Thonlan’s spear killed another one. The Herd began stampeding away from them and straight for Groog’s group.

A few well placed spears at the front runners killed three more and turned the herd towards Vorn’s group.

Vorn watched the Herd grow closer. At his signal, the men with him, jumped up and began running at the herd yelling. Vorn cut one off from the herd and sent it towards, Crug, who sent it at Grod, who sent it at Groob, who sent it at Brun, who sent it at Brac, who sent it as Goov, who sent it at Borg, who sent it a Droog. Finally the beast, stopped running, exhausted.

At Vorn’s signal, Grev ran up and plunged his spear into the heart of the beast before throwing back his head and roaring, in Triumph! He had done it! He was a Man!

Zar ran to Grev’s kill, cut the liver from it and gave a piece of it to each man, the first one going to Grev. Grev thought no mean had ever tasted so good.

‘’Thonlan, run get the women, there are so many, we’ll have to butcher these here,’’ Signed Zar. ‘’Let’s drag these all together so they’ll be easier to guard.’’

By the time Thonlan returned with Ayla, Iga, Ika, Uba, Ena, and Aga, the men had the six musk oxen all together and Zar had already removed and buried their hearts as an offering to the Spirit of the Musk Ox. Although, Thonlan and Ody helped the women with the work, most of men guarded the women and carcasses from the predators the blood attracted. Although, the women mostly let the men handle the predators, Ayla and Iga couldn’t stop themselves from using their slings to drive off hyennas that came within range before returning to their work.

Ayla made travois to carry most of the meat. But Grev’s kill was left intact, after it was gutted, so that Grev could lead the procession back to the cave, with Vorn and Crug carrying his kill behind him.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

‘’This mog-ur thinks he will let you lead the Men’s Ceremony tonight, Zar,’’ signed Goov, as he and his acolytes prepared for Grev’s Manhood Ceremony.

When Zar did lead the Men’s Ceremony, the mixed men thought Zar did a better job than Goov usually did. They caught a few glimpses of their father’s memories. Thonlan and Ody didn’t notice a difference. The Clan men thought Zar was not as good as Goov. Grev was disappointed in his first Men’s Ceremony.






Sign up to rate and review this story