Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Roses of the Valley

Chapter Thirty: Interventions

by Giroro5X 0 reviews

Hey everybody! I'm very proud to have finally reached thirty chapters. I hope you all enjoy, and another thanks to Booter Freak for being so kind as to allow Hon Yan the cameo in Roses of the V...

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Other - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-11-05 - Updated: 2006-11-06 - 5329 words

0Unrated


Roses of the Valley

Chapter Thirty: Interventions



The raft drifted on, Yakone staring nonchalantly towards the starry sky above.

His time at sea had given him opportunity to contemplate his exile, to think carefully about the fate that had befallen him.

The experience struck like a hammer, the resolve of his youthful confidence refusing to budge against it. Between the two he had forged a determined sense of self-preservation, swearing to look out only for himself.

The initial bitterness had faded into an underlying hurt, his anger fading into an apathetic calm.

He sat up quickly, startled by the sudden pause of the raft. Standing cautiously, he made his way to its edge to inspect the cause. It had stopped against a rock, a tall cliff standing in the distance.

The Fire Nation.

His hands motioned slowly in the opposite direction, bending the water beneath the small vessel to reverse its direction. His eyes went wide, freezing as the sight nearby took him off guard.

A body in the water.

Most of his armor had been destroyed, stripped away by either fire or assault weaponry.

Yakone grimaced, turning away in an attempt to ignore the figure. He maintained his bending, the raft continuing forward.

His hands tightened, his eyes shutting with agitation as the sufferer's existence stabbed through the quiet of the gentle waves.

Dropping his hands to either side, he glanced towards the body with irritation.

It bobbed slowly, silently commanding his attention.

The raft approached slowly, the waterbender studying the figure carefully.

He had spent the journey from the North Pole convincing himself to care for no other; to ensure only his own well-being.

The teenager leaned down, pulling the old man onto the raft.

He was a stranger; a soldier whose survival meant nothing to him. Yakone had already sacrificed everything for his kind; his fate was none of his concern.

His hands moved carefully to his side, water slipping out of his water skin before hovering above the old soldier's chest.

A soft wind touched against him, carrying away the thoughts of protest as it passed.

He sighed, spreading his palms over a spot where the wounds seemed most severe. A soft illumination grew from the water as he began healing the injured soldier.

Moments later the old man sputtered, breathing heavy as he gently opened his eyes to the stars above.

Yakone smiled softly, the sound of the soldier's breathing pushing away all doubt he had felt towards his ideals as of late.

Humanity must take precedence before all else.

Waiting for his breathing to calm, he brought his palms back to the areas that had suffered the most damage. The water took on its soft light once again.

"You alright old man?" he smirked as he continued to heal him.

"Hmm," Bo answered quietly, pain coursing through every inch of his body.



The old noble opened his eyes slowly, smiling as he recalled the encounter. Kettles had been arranged around him in a neat circle, his meditation maintaining a steady flame beneath each.

Sun brushed the curtain dividing the kitchen from the main serving area aside, stepping in quickly to replace an empty kettle. She smiled kindly towards the old man, bowing gratefully.

"Thank you for your help, Lord Bo. Watching the fires has always been such a chore." She had become accustomed to his presence in the kitchen, but knew better than to take it for granted.

He bowed his head politely, lifting his cup to his mouth before taking a deep sip.

"Ah, Shui has returned from gathering ingredients," she informed him calmly before making her way back to the front with a fresh kettle.

Grateful for the information, he gave a soft nod of the head. He set the cup down calmly, rising to meet his pupil. They had spent every afternoon since their arrival in Bai-Jing training, the teenager making steady progress in his skill as a firebender.

Shui brushed the curtain aside, smiling with an unspoken determination.

"Master," he hesitated in his statement, fearing that it would be perceived as overconfident or bold. "I feel I'm ready to learn the next set."

"Hmm." Bo smiled gently, nodding in approval of the statement. The teenager had demonstrated a sufficient level of skill with the current level of training.

The firebender smiled, grateful that the notion did nothing to offend his mentor. In training with and fighting alongside Bo, he had developed a deep level of respect and admiration.

"You call this jasmine!?" Min's voice rang through the tea shop, the eager expression on Shui's face falling almost immediately to an annoyed dread.

"Why's it open!?" she complained loudly as she stormed into the kitchen, the tiny flower in hand.

"I thought it was supposed to be open." His eyebrow rose as he turned towards her, confused by her question.

"Idiot! You collect jasmine in the morning when the petals're shut tight! Then you store it in a cool place and let it open at night! After a couple of days it's ready for tea!"

"How was I supposed to know?!" the firebender protested loudly.

"It's common sense; everybody knows that!" she narrowed her eyes as she threw the jasmine at him.

The main area of the tea house fell silent; nobody with the exception of Sun and Qiu had known that particular fact prior to Min's rant.

"I apologize," he clenched his teeth as he forced himself to say the words. He was fully aware that he and his master were guests in both the village and the tea house; getting into a shouting match with the old woman would be disrespectful to such.

"Feh, just pick up some more while you're out training!" she commanded, thrusting the pouch back towards him. "And you!" she looked towards Bo.

The old man's eyebrows rose, taken slightly off guard by her sudden beckoning.

"You up for another game of Pai Sho later?" she smirked.

"Hmm," he nodded with a smile.

"Good! Don't forget the jasmine," she narrowed her eyes at Shui while pointing at the pouch, making her way back into the main serving area.

The young firebender scowled after her as she left, securing the pouch as he swore against her silently.

Bo smiled quietly, lifting the curtain as he motioned for his student to pass.

He passed with a quick and thankful nod of the head, storming out of the tea shop before the old woman could offer any other infuriating words.

"Take this," Min offered up a full kettle of mango tea, understanding it to be the old man's favorite. She had prepared it for them each morning before they left to train.

The old noble grasped the handle of the kettle, bowing thankfully before leaving the shop.

The old pain nodded in response with a gentle grin, turning back to the blacksmith's empty cup.

They made their way through the village, a soft wind sweeping through the valley.



"Through guiding a number of units to divert Fire Nation reinforcements, we were able to prevent the surge that would have overtaken us. Their siege has been a steady one that I suspect will dry out in a week. Two at the most." The Earth Kingdom general's words carried a degree of pride, earned through careful planning and victory on the battlefield.

"Excellent general Ting, I hope for your continuous success," Chul smiled before glancing back down to the parchment set before him. "The next order of business is general Seung's request for additional forces in the Kun Valley."

Seung nodded politely, having submitted the request formally following Kazuki's attack. The invasion hinted at Kano's ruthlessness, something he would need better forces to properly combat. His gaze passed over the faces of his fellow generals, their stoic expressions making him uneasy.

"General Seung; I have addressed this particular issue in private with the other generals," there was a slight sorrow in his tone, hinting at the nature of the response. "I'm afraid we are not able to grant your request."

His eyes widened slightly in confusion, unable to fathom the response.

"General Chul, as I indicated in my report, admiral Kano is a ruthless opponent who has every intention of ravaging the Kun Valley." He maintained his calm as he protested the decision.

"Your reports have fully indicated such, general Seung. Admiral Kano's ferocity is well understood by the generals who have encountered him in the past."

"Then I feel I must request to understand why the Kun Valley is being denied the resources necessary to properly combat the admiral." His composure was steady, making a conscious effort to keep anger away from his words.

"The Fire Lord has maintained a steady siege across the Earth Kingdom. It is not a matter of us regarding the Kun Valley's situation as negligible; it is the fact that no general is capable of sparing what forces they have. There are no additional resources to give," Chul sympathized, genuinely disappointed that they could not aid the young general. In reading his reports, he understood that any aid would be beneficial.

"General Chul, I noted in my report that I have developed a strategy that will permit me to properly defend the valley without a significant increase in the number of soldiers under my command."

The other generals looked towards him, none beyond Chul having been aware of such a strategy.

"Yes. It is definitely an excellent plan, one that I intend to utilize." The proposal had astonished him, impressed by the young general's cunning and strategy.

"I cannot execute it with the number of earthbenders I have at my disposal. I only need a handful more; surely one of the regions is able to spare such?" he looked towards the other generals hopefully.

"Why don't you just ask the Demon of War for help?" one general scoffed quietly.

"I beg your pardon?" Seung peered towards the general.

"Your supposed ally," he started.

"That is enough, General Hung." Chul narrowed his eyes slightly.

"The barbarous criminal wanted throughout the Earth Kingdom; the one who has shown no hesitation in attacking our troops! The one that you," he slammed his fist against the table, glaring towards Seung, "have praised in your reports as being crucial in the protection of the Kun Valley!"

"Hung!" Chul barked, his face wrought with anger.

"I will offer no apology for such," Seung answered calmly.

The other generals turned towards him, the response unexpected.

"We have hunted and fought the Demon of War for years. When Kano attempted to take the Valley, he helped to turn him away. When Kano's pupil infiltrated the village of Bai-Jing, he fought alongside me to defend the innocent." His frame had become rigid, his eyes intense.

Silence held throughout the room.

"In both instances he risked his life to protect the Valley. I feel honestly that his aid was crucial to our victory in both battles. We share the same desire; to protect and guard those within the Valley. In this I consider him my ally, friend and brother. I will not apologize," his tone grew fiercer.

"Seung," Chul started in an attempt to calm his friend.

"And when admiral Kano arrives in the valley with the intention of razing it, I will fight to my last breath beside that brother to protect it, even if we are the only ones who stand to do so." He rose from his seat, failing in his fight to conceal his aggitation. "General Chul, I humbly request you permit me to excuse myself. I feel there is nothing more I can contribute here."

He nodded quietly, understanding the young general's reasoning.

Silently, Seung left the room.

"We deny him what he wants, so he chooses to leave. Such a brat," Hung muttered in jest.

"You will be silent, Hung. Your comment was unwarranted and unappreciated." Chul glared towards him. "You have insulted my friend and my hospitality once; I advise you to pay careful mind not to do so again."

"...Hmph," Hung grunted.

"On to the next order of business then," he regained his calm as he glanced back down towards the parchment. "General Delun, you wished the recommend one of your subordinates for promotion?"

"Yes," he stood with a slight smile. "A soldier who has proved both capable and determined; in his time under my command I have never seen him shrink from combat. It's as if the man has no fear," he laughed.

"How have the other soldiers taken to him?" Chul asked curiously.

"They exhibit an extreme loyalty to him; due most likely to his having started at the lowest of ranks. Through his ascension he has earned their complete respect."

"I have no objections to this promotion; the lieutenant in question has demonstrated both his ability and loyalty." He looked out over the table, studying the others to see if anyone had cause for disagreement. Seeing none he nodded, pressing a stamp firmly to a parchment.

"Delun," he looked up.

"Hmm?" the earthbender sat with a quiet smile, turning towards his fellow general.

"Please congratulate captain Fong on my behalf," Chul smiled.



Chin-Hwa stood directly in his path, his frame firm with determination as he stared defiantly at Gousaru.

The spirit stood upright, beating his chest wildly as he howled.

"Gousaru," he beckoned quietly as he took a single step forward, his eyes maintaining their strength. "Stop this."

He slammed his palm against the ground, chattering angrily as he leapt up and down.

"Stop this!" the old noble screamed, his face tightening with agitation.

Gousaru jumped towards him, towering over the human. Their faces within inches of one another, he unleashed a ferocious and terrifying screech.

"I will not move!" Chin-Hwa screamed back with unbridled rage. "I will not stand down and permit you to slaughter those who have venerated you!" he took another step forward as he spoke, his tone powerful and commanding.

The spirit leapt up and down once again, jumping away from the old man as he chattered angrily.

"Tell me, Gousaru," his tone grew lower, attempting to appeal to the enraged spirit. "Explain to me your anger, the cause of your rage! What caused you to subject the innocent to such horror, after so many years of peaceful calm!?"

The spirit growled angrily.

"Your violence inspires only fear and hatred; it will do nothing to ease that which pains you," Chin-Hwa pleaded.

His growling lowered slightly, his body slowing as he studied the human.

He thought that he had recognized him earlier; seen something familiar in his features. Now, as the noble's tone eased, he remembered him from the Sarugaran temple.

An infant in the arms of his mother, requesting politely that the spirit of mischief and levity always lift the child's heart in times of sorrow.

A boy who listened wondrously to the stories of the old human named "Zian."

A young noble who never flaunted his wealth, making humble offerings to his statue, following each with a quiet prayer to aid those who were not as fortunate.

A kindhearted man who sat within the temple, smiling softly as he recorded every detail, every feature.

The spirit fell silent, motionless as he stared at Chin-Hwa.

"Please, Gousaru. Tell me that which pains you; permit me to help you. Spare these people of your rage." His gaze grew soft as he lowered to his knees.

His large white eyes followed the noble as he bowed.

"Please," he pleaded once more, his head to the ground. "Allow peace to occupy Wei Min once more; allow those within its walls to smile and live without such terror."

Silence passed between the two, the moonlight bathing the estate in soft silver.

Chin-Hwa looked up quickly, the spirit's sudden screeching drawing his attention.

Gousaru slammed his palm against the ground, chattering loudly before hurrying away from the estate. He looked back towards the motionless noble, screeching at him while jumping up and down.

He rose slowly, staring curiously towards the spirit.

He swung his arm quickly, commanding the familiar noble to follow after.

Suspecting the meaning of Gousaru's motions, he chased after him.

The spirit continued his loud chatter, speeding past the archway to Rou's estate. He passed Gang and Wen Lan without pause, ignoring their presence as he hurried along the main street of the village.

"Hey!" the old firebender barked, turning towards the spirit.

"Wen Lan! Gang!" Chin-Hwa called out as he drew closer. "Follow him!"

The young noble nodded obediently, mustering what strength she could as she dashed after Gousaru. Pain weighed her muscles, the fight having pushed her to her limits.

The gruff bodyguard growled as he chased, refusing to let such a powerful opponent escape.

They followed quickly, Gousaru stopping at intervals to wait for them while screeching impatiently. The path seemed almost random, the spirit guiding them through the forest they had passed through on their way into the village.

"I thought you said the temple was his home!" Gang hollered as they pushed forward.

"It is," Chin-Hwa's eyes narrowed as he attempted to make sense of their course.

"Then why're we running away from it!?"

"Perhaps we will know soon," Wen Lan's eyes remained fixed upon Gousaru, refusing to lose track of their guide.

The spirit slowed as they entered a large clearing, a thick tree standing tall at its center.

The three remained silent, maintaining a careful distance between themselves and Gousaru.

He stepped towards the tree slowly, setting his staff against it. He kneeled carefully, grasping a pair of thick roots. With little effort he spread the roots to either side, revealing a large hole beneath the tree. He leapt up into a nearby branch, looking towards the old noble.

Chin-Hwa took a step forward, studying the spirit in attempt to understand what lay before them.

Gousaru nodded solemnly towards the hole he had just revealed, silent as he watched them approach.

They walked cautiously, unsure as to what waited for them beneath the tree. The moonlight illuminated the clearing, providing them a better view of the contents of the hole as they neared it.

Wen Lan's hand lifted to her mouth, her eyes going wide at the sight.

Gang's stared in disgust, his mouth hanging open slightly.

In an instant Chin-Hwa understood the spirit's rage.

Beneath the tree lay a vast collection of hog monkeys. They were thin, their ribs visible through their thin malnourished fur. The sound of pained breathing and low whimpers of suffering permeated the air.

"They're starving to death," the old noble's eyes narrowed as he observed the scene, lowering to his knees.

Gousaru landed beside them gracefully.

"That must be why they stole our food earlier," Wen Lan whispered.

"Look," the old bodyguard squinted as he studied the farthest part of the hole.

The hog monkeys that had not survived had been lined up beside one another, set away from the others.

"Same number as the villagers that were killed," he said gruffly, piecing it together.

"He claimed one villager for each hog monkey that died." Wen Lan's tone carried a great sorrow to it, her eyes going soft as she watched the suffering creatures.

They watched as the spirit lifted his hand towards the tree, plucking a lone berry. He scooped up an infant hog monkey in his palm, placing the small fruit carefully over its mouth.

It clutched his mighty finger weakly, chewing slowly on the food.

"I don't understand," Chin-Hwa stared with distress towards them, speaking in a hushed tone. "The trees appear as healthy as they ever have, yet there are no berries...What could have caused this?"

"And how is it connected to Wei Min?" Wen Lan asked curiously, looking with pity towards the tiny hog monkey in Gousaru's hand.

Gang folded his arms, squinting as he peered towards the suffering creatures. He shook his arm slightly as he felt a drop of liquid fall from his armor to his flesh.

His eyes went wide as he recalled the room on Rou's estate that he had been thrown into earlier.

"...I know where they are," he glared angrily.



Hon Yan stepped towards the ledge, smirking as he looked down towards the travelers. He lifted his hand, the bandits behind him waiting carefully for his command.

Ryoko's eyebrow rose as she turned the corner, a large patch of boulders obstructing their path. She grinned, turning towards her student.

She had spent years journeying, surviving the attacks of bandits, pirates and soldiers alike. Through these encounters she had gained an understanding of certain strategies, experience enabling her to decipher what was to follow.

Jung looked up towards the rocks, understanding that a bandit raid was imminent. From the expression on his master's face, he understood the intense excitement that the knowledge had caused her.

Hon Yan waved his left hand forward, his right firmly gripping his pole arm as he ordered the bandits forward.

They charged ahead, shouting with wild excitement as they tore towards their victims with weapons drawn.

The young lieutenant leapt, digging the blade of his pole arm into the face of the slope behind him to give him better control over his descent.

"Yes!" Ryoko's eyes lit up as she watched the incoming bandits, cracking her neck to the side, shaking her hands in an attempt to loosen up before the fight.

Jung glanced to the opposite side of the Pass, facing towards the second wave of bandits as they hurried towards them.

The first bandit cackled as he jumped at Ryoko, lifting his axe over his head. Her eager expression perplexed him for a moment, his confusion interrupted by her fist slamming hard into his gut.

She gave no pause for celebration, stepping quickly over his writhing body as she grasped the next attacker by the head. The violent mentor brought her knee up, pushing his face down to meet it before throwing him aside.

A third bandit took the opportunity her tactic had provided him, his sword piercing through the air as it stabbed towards her shoulder.

The shield on her left forearm rose quickly, intercepting the strike. She smirked as she brushed it aside forcefully, her hand gripping the attacker by the face. In one fluid motion she brought him to the solid rock beneath them, the back of his head slamming hard against it.

Three bandits leapt towards Jung, trusting in the advantage of sheer numbers.

He brought his knuckles together, the two Earth Kingdom shields stopping the attackers as they drew closer. His foot slammed hard against the earth as he pushed them away. With another step he slammed his mask hard into the face of the first assailant. His right arm lashed out, his shield striking fiercely against the second's temple. Stepping back he brought his elbow up to greet the jaw of the third.

Another stepped in, yelling viciously as his blade hacked away at the Demon. His yelling stopped, faltering into a pitiful whimper as he felt a mighty hand clamp over his wrist. He looked towards it quickly, turning back towards the target just as a powerful fist struck against his face.

Ryoko laughed wildly as she continued beating on the bandits, her love of combat coursing through her veins. Her laughing stopped suddenly, interrupted as she noticed someone approaching swiftly out of the corner of her eyes.

She twisted her body quickly, sliding back as a pole arm struck hard against her shields. Lowering the shells, she raised an entertained eyebrow towards the attacker.

Hon Yan glared, ignoring her as he continued towards the Demon. His subordinates had provided him the perfect opportunity, occupying him enough that his back was turned. Turning to the left he tightened his grip over the weapon, twisting his body as his attack gained momentum, the blade cutting powerfully through the mountain air.

His shield crashed hard against the neck of the remaining bandit, peering back quickly towards the sound of approaching footsteps. Widening his stance he lifted his left shield, clenching his teeth as the pole arm slammed hard against it.

The two stood poised against one another, the teenager annoyed that his subordinate had failed to keep the Demon busy just a moment longer.

Jung's right arm shot up, pushing the pole arm away as he motioned to step in.

Hon Yan refused him the chance, his body spinning to the right as the instrument picked up speed once again, a mighty horizontal slash whipping towards his target.

Slamming both shields against the edge of the weapon, the warrior stepped in to offer another attack.

The lieutenant stabbed the weapon into the earth beside the Demon, pushing it against the ground. He slid back quickly, pulling the pole arm with him as both hands gripped its shaft. His eyes went wide as he became aware of footsteps behind him.

Ryoko sailed through the air, her fist poised as she neared the teenager. Her eyes grew wide as a figure darted between them.

Hon Yan's slight panic calmed, turning his attention back towards the Demon of War.

Jung remained still, observing the scene carefully.

She landed with a grin, tilting her head to the side as she studied the figure.

"Next time you get in over your head like that," Koro grunted, "I'm letting them kill you."

The lieutenant glared, despising any notion of debt to the old man.

"Hey, I know you," Ryoko smirked. "Dual Dragon Koro." She had made a hobby of examining wanted posters in each town, interpreting the price on a criminal's head as a testament of their strength.

He remained silent. He came for the price on her head; not conversation.

Her expression grew stern as she became aware of two figures behind her, the bandits' clumsy nature betraying their attempt to sneak up on her. She whipped her arms back, her elbows slamming hard against their throats.

Koro took the motion as a cue, kicking forward as he readied his katars.

Hon Yan did the same, lashing his pole arm out towards the Demon once again.

Ryoko dodged back from an attack, her shield lifting to greet the second.

"So I've been wondering," she grinned. "How do I get a stupid nickname like yours?"

The old bandit ignored the taunt, both katars crossing one another before stabbing towards her throat.

Her left shield rose to intercept the strike, stepping in as her right fist shot towards the sky in a fierce uppercut.

He tilted his head back, the strike barely missing as he stepped forward with another slash.

Jung's shields moved forcefully, blocking each of the bandit's powerful strikes.

Hon Yan glared, considering the situation carefully as he guided the weapon forward. He grinned with a vicious delight as a flawless strategy came to him. His hands tightened their grip on the pole arm, his muscles burning as he began swinging in another powerful horizontal attack.

Widening his stance, he brought both shields up to deflect the maneuver.

The blade of the weapon slashed hard against the shield, the lieutenant continuing and picking up momentum as he moved into a second strike. Without pause he motioned into a third, nearly losing his footing.

The Demon slid back slightly, the attacks failing to render any harm upon him.

Hon Yan turned one last time, releasing the pole arm as it launched towards his opponent.

Lifting the Earth Kingdom shields quickly, the weapon forced him back another step before falling harmlessly to the ground. He lowered the shields, narrowing his eyes curiously towards the smirking teenager.

Stepping carefully and forcefully, the lieutenant lifted his fists as he slammed his foot against the ground.

Jung peered back, having been pushed to the patch of boulders that had obstructed their path. They shook slightly.

Hon Yan repeated the motion a second time, glaring with frustration towards the rocks.

They toppled over towards the Demon, gravel rolling along the mountain path.

He smirked, stepping towards the rocks proudly. His expression altered quickly to a hateful stare as they began shifting once again.

The muscular figure of the Demon rose from the pile, lifting one of the boulders over his head as fine dust and earth rained over him, coating his body.

The teenager sneered as he lifted the pole arm off of the ground, awaiting the Demon's next attack.

Jung growled lowly, his muscles burning as he held the boulder above him. The growl grew to a powerful yell, hurling the chunk of rock towards the earthbender.

He positioned himself carefully, stepping forward before slamming his fist hard against the incoming attack. It was a basic earthbending technique, one that he had only mastered well enough to halt the boulder's approach. It fell harmlessly to the ground in front of him.

The Demon approached slowly, his gaze fixed upon the young bandit.

Hon Yan glared, moving his weapon slowly as he prepared to strike once again.

Ryoko took two quick steps back, dodging the veteran bandit's fierce attacks.

He motioned the katars towards her hands, altering their course quickly to cut toward her chest.

She turned to the right, punching the shield on her right arm forward to deflect the blades. Hooking her right ankle behind his left, she brought the shield back quickly towards his chest to take him off his feet.

Forcing his left hand towards her stomach, he attempted to gore her as he felt her shield touch against him.

Recognizing the motion she broke her attack, sliding back with a grin. She relished combat, savoring the encounter with silent respect for the old bandit's skill.

Koro stood with frustration, scowling at the woman. His katar traced the edge of his do as he approached, muttering lowly. "This ends here."

"I couldn't agree more," a voice called out from the ledge above.

The four combatants peered up, the bodies of the fallen bandits scattered around them.

The bandit stood smugly, his subordinates surrounding his as they gazed down at the four.

Koro and Hon Yan glared hatefully towards him.

"Friend of yours?" Ryoko took the pause in combat to pick an irritating bit of wax out of her ear. She flicked it aside, her eyebrow rising as she studied the distant figure.

"Guang. Leader of the Emerald Scorpions," the old man grunted.

"Koro, I just want to say thank you for gathering four worthwhile bounties into one convenient location for me," Guang grinned. "I figure I should say it now, since you'll be dead in a matter of moments."

Hon Yan silently counted the number of bandits escorting Guang, calculating their odds.

"You've been trying to kill me for years," he barked back fiercely. "Every time I give you a new scar and kill as many of your men as I can."

"Yes yes, Dual Dragon Koro is very tough, so scary," Guang mocked. "But not scary enough that the Earth Kingdom army would team up with his rivals to defeat him. Not even when he's traveling with his loyal little poodle-monkey," he smirked towards Hon Yan.

The teenager glared, hoping that he would be the one to give the fatal blow to the Emerald Scorpions' leader.

"But throw in Ryoko and the Demon of War..." he mused.

Earth Kingdom soldiers stepped towards the ledge, gazing coldly towards the four.

Koro glared, realizing the situation to be more difficult than he had imagined.

Ryoko sneered, peering from side to side. Her fists tightened as she glanced towards Jung, nodding.

Her student returned the nod, clenching his fists.

Hon Yan gripped the pole arm, understanding the threat before them to outweigh the bounty on the Demon and Ryoko's head.

"And they become more open to negotiation," he grinned arrogantly, signaling the Emerald Scorpions to advance.

The soldiers and bandits rushed forward, descending with incredible speed.

The sound of battle filled the Howling Wind Pass.



Hon Yan is copyright Booter Freak. Thank you very much for granting me permission to use him!
Sign up to rate and review this story