Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Ritual

Chapter 17

by Balder 4 reviews

A shopping trip and Ginny's birthday.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Humor,Romance - Characters: Ginny,Harry - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2014-05-03 - 2100 words - Complete

5Ambiance
The Ritual

Disclaimer: See previous chapters.

Chapter 17
They portkeyed to the backyard of the Burrow and were all engulfed by hugs. Harry also got a punch or two from various brothers under the cover of a hug but he had expected that and with his new, enhanced physique they didn’t hurt much at all.

As soon as everyone let go he said, “Sorry we didn’t come back earlier. The chief Healer there decided that I was finally healthy enough for her to remove the lingering dark magic from my scar. It hurt like crazy and put me out for a whole day afterward but I’m glad she did it. It means I’m no longer connected to Tom Riddle in any way.”

Ginny nodded, “When I saw Harry lying so pale and still in the infirmary I knew I had to stay and help nurse him back to health. I told Hermione to go without me. I forgot that the oaths we swore meant she couldn’t tell you where we’d been or any details of our training. I’m sorry Hermione, I was just so distraught over Harry that I wasn’t thinking straight.”

Hermione hugged her, “I accept your apology Ginny.”

Her mother looked at her with narrowed eyes, “I’m not sure I do. Oath or not, chaperoned or not, you are not a legal adult for several days yet. You should have told me something! I thought you’d been kidnapped! I went looking for you everywhere! I slapped Minister Fudge for Heaven’s sake! After we eat you’ll go to your room and for the next four days until the day of your birthday you’ll see nobody but me. I’ll bring you your meals. The only time you’ll leave that room is to visit the bathroom and I’ll escort you there and back. After you’re a legal adult you can do what you please but until then you are grounded young lady! You hear me?”

Ginny nodded, “Yes mum, I hear you.” Her mind was already full of possible outs and loopholes but she’d make sure that no one but Harry and possibly Hermione saw her outside her room.

Molly glared at her daughter. Ginny had agreed far too easily for her peace of mind and she suspected shenanigans. “Hermione? You can stay in Percy’s old room while Ginny is grounded. Is that alright with you?”

Hermione nodded, “Yes, Mrs. Weasley.”

Molly Weasley nodded, unsatisfied, but unable to think of anything better, “Well then let’s go eat a nice luncheon and you can tell us about it.”

Harry smiled, “I’ll happily tell you as much as I am allowed. I’ll show you some of my new spells later.” He followed her into the house.

“Mum!” Ron shouted. “Is that it? He runs off with Ginny and Hermione for six weeks and all he gets is hugged and fed?”

Molly snorted, “Ron you know, or you should, that Harry wouldn’t take advantage of any girl. If anything happened, and with a female healer for a chaperone it would be difficult to manage, but if anyone tried anything it was your sister. She’s been after the boy from first she saw him.”

Ginny blushed and said, “Nothing happened Mum! They worked us to exhaustion every day. One look at Harry’s new muscles should tell you that. I picked up some muscle myself!” She raised the sleeve of her robe and flexed her arm.

“Wow,” said Fred.

George added, “Our sister is buff! Harry probably got his new muscles fighting her off not exercising.”

“Too true, my handsome sibling,” Fred said nodding. Then both twins jumped as Harry and Ginny cast a stinging hex simultaneously.

“We learned some wandless magic too,” Harry said. “Would you both like to see more?”

The twins both grinned and said in unison, “Oh please spare us oh wise and powerful chosen one! We are not worthy!” They started bowing to Harry and he told them to quit it.

Soon all the males were seated around the dining room table. Molly had commandeered Ginny and Hermione into helping her serve the food but soon they were seated as well.

“I got my eyesight fixed along with some residual malnutrition issues left over from my upbringing,” Harry said with a brief glare at Albus. Before the headmaster could invoke the greater good Harry continued, “It ended up making me grow several inches as well.”

“Well,” said the still suspicious Mrs. Weasley. “It certainly seems to have increased your appetite Harry, and yours too Ginny.” Then she looked at Hermione.

Hermione smiled and took her cue, “I didn’t participate in the physical training so I didn’t get a better appetite or any muscles. Maybe I should have but the library at that location was so amazing that I spent every moment I could in it.”

After lunch Molly marched Ginny up to her room and Hermione moved her stuff from Ginny’s room to Percy’s. Harry went out to the backyard with Mr. Weasley and his sons and showed them several new spells. That he’d learned them only in the last few days he kept to himself. He made sure to add a few from the book that Hermione had learned from as well. The boys were very impressed, not only with the spells but with the power he could now pump into even his oldest, Hogwarts taught, spells.

“Well it looks like you did more than make passes at my sister this summer Potter so I forgive you,” Ron said.

The twins laughed at him. “I hope so Ronniekins,” George said. Fred added, “Because Harry would completely mop the floor with you in a fight.”

The next day Bill came home and brought his fiance. Harry was grateful because it took most of the attention of him. Bill was shocked upon seeing Harry and said, “Wow, Harry! You look so different from the frail boy I met before the Quidditch World Cup. Even last summer you were pretty skinny. You must have been exercising every day like a fiend!”

“I was Bill!” Harry agreed enthusiastically. “Every morning at dawn they got the two of us up. Exercise for an hour before breakfast then more exercise after. The first few days I was thinking I should have bowed out like Hermione did but I’m happy with the results. My spells have a lot more power to them now and I’m in the best shape of my life. We also learned all sorts of new spells, I got my eyes fixed, and that horrible connection from my scar to Tom Riddle was removed.”

Harry grinned then, “But enough about me. Tell me how you managed to get engaged to my former Triwizard competitor?”

Bill smiled and said, “Well I’m a senior enough Curse breaker now that I could manage to stay in England. However they aren’t any cursed tombs to be entered here so I was assigned different duties. All Curse breakers assigned to the home office are on call in case a customer brings in or inherits a cursed item and wants Gringott’s help with it. Some of us are also assigned an apprentice to teach.”

Fleur smiled then and took Bill’s arm, “William was the only one not to drool on ‘is shoes when he saw me so I requested him. When the goblin in charge heard my reasoning he agreed and William also got a commendation for his resistance to Veela allure. We have worked together every weekday for the past year. After six months or so I asked him out and a month ago he proposed and I accepted. We took all six weeks vacation that we had accrued. We shall spend three weeks here then in September go visit my folks for the other three. Next summer we get married.” She insisted on taking Harry shopping upon hearing he had grown several inches and would not take no for answer.

By the date of Ginny’s birthday Harry had a whole new wardrobe and Fleur had helped him buy a great gift. On the day they bought Ginny's birthday gift Harry said, “I have one more thing I’d like your help in purchasing but I need you to swear not to tell anyone. At least until the end of August.”

“Mais Oui, ‘Arry,” Fleur said her accent getting stronger with emotion. “You are un ami vrai. Ask of me what you will.”

He smiled, “Thanks Fleur! That means a lot to me. Are you sure I cannot purchase something for you? Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley may not be Paris but they do have some good clothes.”

Fleur smiled, “Let us first attend to your so mysterious errand ma ami. Perhaps I will find it so arduous that afterward I shall require a whole new wardrobe. If you are content to let me set the price then I choose to do so after I have rendered my service.” At the Jeweler’s she had smiled and said, “I think I comprehend Harry. You wish my assistance choosing a ring?”

“Yes,” he said blushing. “I plan to ask Ginny to marry me after her birthday but before we return to school.”

“Should I plan a double wedding for next summer Harry?” Fleur asked with a grin.

“Well I think you should wait and see what she says first,” Harry said. “If she does say yes then I’d be honored if you shared your special day with us.”

Fleur smirked, “I somehow doubt she will say no but if she does then have no fear I shall not plan any such thing.” She was planning on corresponding with Ginny over the next few months to see if such a thing was something the girl would want but saw no reason not to tease Harry about it whether they did it or not. He was such fun to tease, especially for her who had to be so careful with men.

They looked over the rings and Harry eventually settled on a red gold ring with a three carat diamond. “Are you sure you can afford such a ring Harry?” Fleur asked. She knew he supposedly had an inheritance but didn’t know the extent of it and worried he might be spending a significant percentage of it on the ring.

Harry smiled, “I am sure. I can tell you are genuinely concerned so I will do something rare for me. I’ll tell you my net worth including both Potter and Black inheritances.” Harry then leaned in close and whispered in her ear.

Fleur’s eyes widened when she heard the amount. It was more than all her relatives combined including grand-oncle phillipe who owned a vineyard and winery. Then she smiled, “In that case Harry I would say that ring is perfect. Furthermore I shall take you up on your so generous offer. You can indeed by me some clothing afterward. It will be as much a present for Bill I am thinking but you do not object to that yes?”

Harry smiled, unaware of what was coming, “Sure! We can buy stuff for both of you.” Harry purchased the ring and had several anti-theft charms placed on it. “Okay Fleur, I’m all yours for the rest of the afternoon. Lead on.”

Fleur smirked and led him to a lingerie store in non-magical London. Harry turned red and might have run if she hadn’t taken a firm grip on his hand and made sure he followed her in.

After an hour, several embarrassing questions, and one faint Harry was finally able to finalize the purchase and leave. Fleur apparated them both back to the Burrow and hid the birthday present and the ring behind notice me not charms. It was fortunate that Bill did not forget the silencing charms that night or no one would have gotten any sleep.

The day of Ginny’s birthday dawned clear and sunny. It was a bit warm out in the sunny backyard but cooling charms had been added plentifully and there was a breeze. Friends from class, nearby magicals such as the Lovegoods, and relatives started showing up around lunchtime and by dinner the yard was full of people and the table for presents was piled high with brightly wrapped packages.

So when the Death Eaters attacked they were a lot of potential victims around.
Sign up to rate and review this story