Categories > Books > Harry Potter > At The Heart Of The Matter

Of Law Wizards and Friends

by haymak

After the events of the DOM, Harry starts to slowly reevaluate his life and with truths revealed and a new perspective, he gets at the heart of the matter and sets of on his own path to becoming th...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Romance - Characters: Arthur Weasley, Bellatrix, Bill Weasley, Blaise Zabini, Cho, Dobby, Draco, Dumbledore, Flitwick, Fred, George, Harry, Hermione, Kingsley, Lupin, Molly Weasley, Neville, Oliver Wood, Poppy Pomfrey, Professor McGonagall, Sirius, Snape, Tonks, Voldemort - Warnings: [!!!] [?] [V] [X] - Published: 2006-07-12 - Updated: 2006-07-13 - 2801 words

?Blocked
Authors Note: This chapter has been edited. Thank you all who have review....it keeps my smiling! Same disclaimer....still JKR.

Of Law Wizards And Friends

********

(Thursday, June 6th)


Dear Mr. Rooks,

Thank you for your fast reply to my previous letter. At your earliest convenience, I would like to meet with you. I am currently at Hogwarts and will be finishing this term on Wednesday, June 12. We have a Hogsmeade trip this weekend, if that would be good for you, we could meet then. If you wouldn't mind, I would like to bring two friends with me. One you know, Neville Longbottom and the other is Hermione Granger. Let me know if we can meet.

Sincerely,
Harry Potter


'Boy!' Harry thought, 'Hedwig certainly is getting a work out these last few days.' As he made his way down to the lake, Harry wondered why he'd not heard a response to his letter to the Ministry of Magic, Children's Welfare Department. Thinking maybe he could write to someone else in the M.O.M., he sat down and pulled out some parchment and quill. Feeling a little brave, he figured he'd write to Cornelius Fudge himself...after all, it's the least Fudge could do after everything he put Harry through this year!


Dear Minister Fudge,

I am writing you for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I would like your help in getting a response to a letter I wrote the Children's Welfare Dept. I have not heard from them yet and as Headmaster Dumbledore has forbidden any communication via owl delivery over the summer, I was hoping you could help speed everything up.

On another note, as bad as this year was for you and I, both politically and personally, I would like to extend an olive branch of sorts. With Voldemort and his Death Eaters once again on the move, wouldn't it be better for both of us to work together than to oppose each other? If you ever want to sit down and discuss this further, I would be happy to meet with you.

Thank you for any assistance you may give.
Harry Potter


Harry figured the jab at Dumbledore about owl post would get Fudge thinking. He could only hope that this olive branch would create a more congenial relationship with the Minister and Ministry. The old muggle saying "you get more flies with honey" came to mind. As he pondered his past troubles with the Ministry, the only conclusion he could come up with was that somehow Dumbledore was behind his bad name there. After all, in third year, Fudge had no problem with Harry, even going as far as to help protect him from Sirius.

After writing and sending this letter off with a school owl, Harry sat down by his favorite tree and pulled out the unread letter in the Potter file. Opening it up he began to read:


Dear Harry,

Hi honey, this is your Mum and Dad. If you are reading this then that means we have died and failed to watch you grow up. As I write this, you're sitting on the floor playing with your magical blocks and laughing hysterically. You bring us such joy that words simply can not express. Unfortunately, this letter is a necessity, as we will be unable to tell you this information while you grow and approach your coming of age. Harry, I am not a muggleborn witch as everyone thinks. We, by that I mean your father, myself, Dumbledore, Poppy, Sirius and Remus all know the information I am about to reveal. We decided to just let everyone think that I was muggleborn to hopefully help protect us.

I was adopted by a wonderful couple by the name of Evans. If you did not know, I have a sister who is their biological daughter. She and I got along wonderfully until she found out I was a witch. Once I found out I was magical, my adoptive parents sat me down and explained everything to me. Upon entering the wizarding world, I found out that I was actually apart of the clan Thurox. Don't be scarred by what I say next, it is after all who you are. I am not completely a witch. I, as well as yourself, are part of a magical species known as Chuzzor's. If you go through the Thurox Family Estate folder in Gringotts, there is a letter that explains all about our heritage. Let me just say that it is an honor to be a Chuzzor. I wish I could be there for your transformation, but alas I can not. Just know that I wish you luck and happiness. I love you my precious son and never forget that! Your father and I are so proud of you and we always will be!

With all our love,
Mum and Dad


It was such a good feeling to know both his parents loved him and were proud of him. When you grow up not knowing, it can leave an enormous whole in you. After calming down from another emotional moment, Harry spent the rest of the day writing in his journal. He was almost through the events of third year when the sun once again began to set. Heading into the Great Hall for dinner, Harry went to sit beside Hermione when Ron spoke, "Hey Harry, where have you been the last few days. Haven't seen much of you lately?" A quick glance at Hermione told Harry that Ron had been asking everyone where he was lately. "Well Ron, I've been grieving over the loss of Snuffles and trying to get my thoughts in order, so I've been keeping to myself pretty much." Harry wasn't about to tell him what he was really up to. The longer he could keep Dumbledore out of the loop, the better. He knew it wouldn't be for long.

"We are all grieving and we could help you if you let us in. Anyways, you shouldn't take it all that hard, you really didn't get to know him much and that should help make it easier." Nearly everyone at their section of the Gryfindor table froze. Hermione gasped and Harry narrowed his eyes at his so-called best friend. "Was that suppose to be helpful? Are you completely daft or are you just that juvenile and insensitive? Believe it or not, I was quite close to my godfather and have spent much of my time talking and writing to him since we met. You know what? I think for the foreseeable future, you'd best stay clear of me. I can't believe what an inconsiderate prat you really are....true colors are really starting to shine through, huh!"

All of Gryfindor awaited the blowup Ron was festering towards. "I was just trying to help! Merlin, give a guy a little fame and some money and he becomes a complete ass! If you hadn't been so arrogant, maybe you wouldn't have gotten Sirius killed! Yeah! That's right....YOU got him killed....if you had just waited until the headms....." That's all Ron got out before both Harry and Neville landed punches to his nose and gut, respectively, and Hermione and Ginny nailing him in the groin.

"I don't know who you think you are, but you are never to speak to me again. And as for 'a little fame and some money' part of your speech, I have always had that, but when it was convenient for you, you loved it. Your nothing but a jealous loser who can't see he has everything I would give all my money and fame for! A FAMILY! But that's not good enough for Ron Weasley is it? Thinks everything should be handed to him on a silver platter! GROW UP YOU MORON! Get your head out of your ass and look around, you may be surprised at what you see when you open your eyes. I can't believe I ever considered you a friend." He spat the last part out while bending over a fallen Ron.

With that, Harry left the Great Hall heading for his dorm. Hermione, Neville, Ginny and the remaining 6th years left soon after, throwing dirty looks at Ron, to go and offer any support they could to Harry. Ginny was beside herself and decided to write the twins with what had happened. She was sure to get some interesting payback materials from them.

Once in the common room, they found Harry staring intently at the fire, clenching and unclenching his hands, obviously trying to calm down, completely lost in thought. When Hermione touched his shoulder, he looked up, startled to see all his friends there in support of him. Ginny told him of her plans to get the twins involved in the revenge plot and that had Harry laughing for the first time in weeks. "Thanks, Gin....I needed that!" After the group chatted for a while longer Harry said his goodnights and headed off to bed. He was extremely tired, not having slept well the night before.

The next day flew by in a myriad of thoughts while writing in his journal. He finished all his Hogwarts years, and after some consideration, he decided that over the next couple of weeks he would work on writing everything he could remember about his growing up with the Dursley's. At lunch, he received a confirmation to meet with Anthony Rooks the next day at 10am, at the Three Broomsticks.

Saturday dawned bright and sunny for the outing to Hogsmeade. After breakfast, Harry, Hermione, Neville, Dean, Ginny and Seamus all headed to the little village. It was only about 9:15, so they headed over to Honeydukes first. Knowing what summer was like at the Dursley's, Harry stocked up on anything he thought would help sustain him through the coming weeks. He would put preservation charms on all of it to keep it fresh before he left Hogwarts.

As 10am drew near, the new trio walked into the pub, and finding it relatively quite, chose a booth in the corner that could easy be cast in a silencing spell. Soon a very distinguished looking gentlemen walked into the pub, looking around he spotted Neville, who waved him over where introductions commenced.

"Harry, this is Mr. Anthony Rooks, my families law wizard. Mr. Rooks, this is Mr. Harry Potter and Ms. Hermione Granger."

"Pleasure to meet you Mr. Potter, Ms. Granger. Neville, I've told you before to call me Tony, and that goes the same for you two." Tony said, pointing at Harry and Hermione.

"Thank you Tony. I can't thank you enough for the quick response to my letters. In a few days I'll be back at my muggle relatives and have been informed that I won't be able to receive or send letters through my owl Hedwig."

Surprised by that comment, Tony asked Harry to explain. "Well, the Headmaster said it wouldn't be safe for me or my friends if we wrote during the summer. He said that owl post could be intercepted and that was a risk he wouldn't allow me to take."

Gathering himself from this information, Tony asked, "What say does he have once you leave school for the summer? Is he your guardian and if so, why are you being sent to your muggle relations?"

Harry, Hermione and Neville shared a knowing look as Harry explained to Tony. "As far as I know, my guardian is my Aunt Petunia. But according to my parents will that I got a copy of a few days ago, she never should've been given guardianship of me. What I do know, is that Headmaster Dumbledore put me there because he said that there are blood wards that protect me from Voldemort due to my mother's sacrifice. I have tried to explain that I don't believe the wards will recharge and/or work anymore considering Voldemort used my blood during his resurrection. How can the wards stop him if he has my blood?"

At this Neville spoke, "I've read up on some of these blood wards both prior to finding out this situation and since. From my research, the wards will have failed last year and the Headmaster's wrong. What I don't understand, is why Dumbledore thinks he can dictate Harry's life?"

Not to be outdone, Hermione added, "To top it all off, the information Harry has received from Gringotts about the will of his parents and the Potter Legacy, Harry should never have been placed with the Dursley's to begin with. Dumbledore, it would seem, has taken it upon himself to circumvent the wishes of the Potters and do as he wishes. After you read the information in Harry's packet, I think you will better understand why we starting to question everything the Headmaster has done in the last 15 years, as it pertains to Harry's life."

Harry finished by saying, "My Aunt Petunia isn't even blood related to me, so the blood wards could never have existed. I can't really reveal to Dumbledore that I know this, but I can tell you he knew of my mother's adoptive status and that she is actually a mixture of wizarding blood and Chuzzor blood. I also found all this out in the packet. What I'm hoping you can find out, is why my parents will was ignored and why Dumbledore got away with it. If you find anything that suggests that he broke any laws, I want you to start investigating any and all pertinent laws he broke, how he was able to break those laws, and what repercussions I can seek. To be perfectly honest, I want to nail him, and anyone else involved, to the wall. I'm tired of the mistreatment I've received at my muggle relatives and in the wizarding world. I would also like to know why the other possible guardians didn't step in and stop Dumbledore? Also, I've written to Minister Fudge asking for his help in getting some of the information we seek from the Ministry. I offered an olive branch of sorts and am hopeful that he will come through."

"Well, Harry, Neville, Hermione, that is certainly a lot of information you've given me. I can tell you without question that laws have definitely been broken and no doubt by Dumbledore. Within 36 hours of your parents death, our firm was relieved of our responsibility by Dumbledore, so I had no prior knowledge of what your parents will stated. I promise, we will get to the bottom of this!" Tony said the last part with such conviction that the other three occupants of the table were left with little doubt as to the validity of his claim. He almost seemed to be taking this personally, and if Harry ventured a guess, he was, due to the friendship between himself and his parents.

Harry had one question though, "Tony, if you were my parents lawyer, why didn't you know about what was in their will?"

"In a lot of the older families, the will is made and kept at Gringotts. What I want to know is why they did nothing to step in and administer their own rules and regulations regarding this matter?" Tony asked, more to himself than anyone at the table.

"From what I can gather, they were under the impression that the will was carried out. My suspicion is, the Headmaster has a goblin in his pocket, for lack of a better term. We'll need to confirm my suspicions and speak to the higher ups at Gringotts to get all the information lined up. I would like to also ask what ramifications would there be if I just didn't go to my muggle relatives after I return to Kings Cross Station. Do I have to go there or can I go to Neville's or Hermione's until I turn 16 and can choose one of the Potter estates? I think for know, I need to give you the copies of everything that I have and I will await your response."

"That sounds like a good plan. I'll immediately look into where you can or can not stay for the summer. I also think that it was both a personal and politically savvy move to write to Fudge. Hopefully he will get back to you soon. For now, why don't you finish enjoying the day and let me get to work." Tony said the last part with a chuckle. Tony thought 'Merlin, this is going to rock the British Wizarding World to its core'

As the group departed, Harry realized for the first time is his short, but long 15 years on this earth, that he could be free to live his own life as he saw fit. And that is exactly what he planned to do.
Sign up to rate and review this story