Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > One For Sorrow

Four For A Boy

by CatscanFlyy 4 reviews

It isn’t far now, two more minutes of the icy cold and the danger of being jumped, then Gerard will be warm in the bar with Mikey.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG - Genres:  - Published: 2012-04-30 - Updated: 2012-05-01 - 2769 words - Complete

5Funny
The air is like a blanket, smothering the rotten streets of Belleville with an eerie calm that Gerard has always loved. He walks briskly though, as the heat of the sun has been lost to the night, for some time now, and the woman’s cut leather jacket does little to protect him from the chilled air. He also guesses it’s probably not great to dordle at night in North Jersey.

Gerard thinks Mikey probably felt bad about the other night, since despite the fact that Gerard stayed over, the two didn’t really get a chance to speak and catch up. Gerard misses Mikey, like a lot, and he’s not quite used to not seeing his brother everyday, even if it has been years since they actually lived together. He knows that they’re still close, still some of the closest brothers in NJ, but compared to what they used to be like, these meets every few weeks feel like years and Gerard can just feel Mikey slipping away, through his fingers and into this family life that Gerard will never be apart of or ever have for himself. The thoughts scare him, so he does his best not to think them.

It’s not like he wants that family life anyway, he’s terrible with kids like really fucking terrible and even the thought of Gerard Way with a wife is enough to make anyone laugh out loud. Gerard will choose being the goofy, not so hygienic, gay uncle, over the tired, straight-laced father any day.

He cuddles his jacket closer and curses under his breath when a particularly cold gust of air knocks around him and his hair whips violently across his face. It isn’t far now, two more minutes of the icy cold and the danger of being jumped, then Gerard will be warm in the bar with Mikey.

As he rounds the last corner the dull ache of the silent night trips into a typical, Tuesday evening at the House Of Wolves, the air is soon full of loud, drunken Jersey girls and couples fights that have been forced from the confines of the old pub and onto the bitter streets. Gerard almost smiles to himself at the familiarity as he pushes past a group of teen girls, smoking outside the door, all clad in grey sweatpants and Fred Perry jackets.

Gerard remembers coming here as a teen, though he never had to do the whole- drink away your nicotine addiction or freeze to death outside- deal (these were the days of indoor smoking after all,) he knows exactly what it’s like for those kids, all eager to grow up and drink and smoke and just be in a bar. He sort of misses how excited it made him feel, with his age a long with many other things, Gerard has lost that fear element of staying up late and drinking beer.

Gerard spots Mikey almost instantly in the bar area where The House is not as busy, most of its occupants choosing to lounge in the back room where the bands play, every Tuesday, Thursday nights weekdays, and then all weekend. Mikey however always chooses the same spot, the booth with the faded red seats on the left of the door leading into the back. His hand rests on the table next to his tall coke, fingers not touching the wet, smooth surface of the glass, but close enough to signify that- he is not done drinking and if you dare try and take a sip he will hit you. Mikey nods his head, not quite in time with the fast punk band, spilling from the back room and Gerard notices how comfortable Mikey looks, sitting alone in a New Jersey bar.

Gerard guesses that Mikey is probably okay with sitting alone because, well Mikey isn’t really alone. And not in the ‘Oh I’m just waiting for my brother to arrive’ kind of not alone but in the, wife and kids, lots of friends, very happy kind of way. For some reason this really irks Gerard.

Like Gerard is fine with being alone, he spends most of his life sitting in that empty apartment shouting “Fly, you fools!” whilst he paints and that’s totally fine. It’s just that, he hates, completely and utterly hates, being alone with people. He’s not sure if that even makes sense but he never feels more alone than when he’s in the middle of public, because it’s like everyone can see he’s alone, see through his skin. Yet, Mikey seems completely contempt with sitting by himself, half listening to a terrible punk band, half ignoring the world in the middle of one of Belleville’s busiest pubs, and Gerard can’t quite stand that Mikey got over his fear of people before him.

Gerard sits down opposite Mikey and grins a little as Mikey jumps, clearly shocked to find that he is no longer alone in this sea of bodies and aggressive guitars. “Fuck you gave me a fright” Mikey swears, glaring a little

“I do try” Gerard smirks then steals Mikey’s drink because he hates that and so Mikey kicks his big brother under the table because he hates that.

“Asshole” He snaps when Gerard finally passes back the frosty glass of coke zero

“Love me” Gerard says monotone, but Mikey just shakes his head

“Who’s playing tonight?” Gerard asks after a few moments of silence (well silence between the brothers, the rest of the bar is still noisy as fuck)

“Oh uh, Frank’s band; I Am A Graveyard”

“Frank’s in a band?” Gerard gawps because OMG so not fair Frank is not allowed to get any more amazing

“Yeah, yeah” Mikey says “Did he not tell you on your night of intense conversations?”

“No he did not” Gerard replies “and it was not a night of intense conversations, we just chatted”

“What about the in-depth details of your depressing childhood?”

“He told you what we talked about?” Gerard finds himself getting far too exited at the idea of Frank talking about him.

But Mikey’s all I’m gonna piss on your parade before you go any further with your crazy talking sex fantasies and says, “No, lucky guess”

“Oh” Gerard says and looks down because Oh

“He did say you were really cool though”

And Gerard can’t help but grin because cool has never been a word used to describe him before, most people settled on words like ‘loner’ or ‘interesting’ unless of course they are MikeyWay in which case, more often that not, terms like ‘Delicate little fairy’ or ‘princess’ are recurring. Gerard doesn’t know why he hangs out with Mikey.

“Really?”

“No I just said it so I could raise your hopes only to dash them mercilessly to the ground” Mikey snaps “Yes really, or words to that effect at least”

Gerard smiles down at the table and Mikey rolls his eyes, but not unkindly

“Can we go see them?” Gerard asks then, because though he can hear Frank’s band fine from here, his mind keeps trying to sneak round the corner and into the mosh pits to see just what Frank does in his band and he can’t quite stand not knowing for much longer.

Mikey nods and downs the rest of his coke “For sure”

So they get up and make their way into the back room. The backroom is busy, very busy and Gerard’s never really been able to work out just how The House is filled on even cold Tuesday nights by un heard of bands, that usually can’t play for shit. But every night, whether it’s a fast, aggressive, punk band, an indie set, or a feminist band that can’t quite master their instruments, playing the bar is full.

Gerard guesses a lot of it is to do with the fact that the bar staff don’t check for ID but he also suspects that the crowding is partly because of the way the place feels. Like some pubs just have really nice atmospheres, they’re places people want to hang at, they’re places that always have and always will be apart of a town or city, they’re places where anyone and everyone feels at home. And it’s cliché as fuck but it’s only cliché because it’s true so people say it a lot.

Gerard pushes through the crowds of kids till he can actually see the stage. Frank is the band’s front man, singing like Billy Corgan, in that slightly too high and out of tune voice, hammering on his guitar as he does so. The song seems to be filled mainly with teen angst, this only adds to Gerard’s suspicions of Frank being a fucking kid, but the delivery is great and Gerard just knows that Frank and his band have the crowd in the palms of their hands.

Gerard quickly finds a spot at the side, next to a guy in a beanie. There’s not so much moshing here and Gerard prefers that. He’s too old for mosh pits and he knows it, he would much rather stand, leaning against the wall simply enjoying the music in a calm, sensible fashion. Gerard has turned into someone he hates.

Mikey however is some kind of scene kid god because girls with mad hair and far too much eyeliner instantly surround him almost blocking Mikey from Gerard’s view. Gerard remembers when Alicia was one of those eyeliner chicks. He was there when the now happily married couple first met over in one of the bars in Soho. At the time Gerard hadn’t thought much of her, she was pretty sure she was pretty, but her face had been covered in backcombed black hair and the smudgy eyeliner had practically dripped down her face. She was exactly the kind of girl Mikey hooked up with every Friday night in his nineteen-year-old life, but the next day when Gerard woke up and Alicia was still there, having toast with Mikey and his mom Gerard had guessed the punk girl was different.

She was more than pretty without all the makeup, her tanned skin and bright eyes shone with charisma so when Alicia finally did leave two days later and Mikey confessed that ‘She was the one, she had to be the one’ Gerard believed him.

Gerard wonders why he has yet to find his only one, he had been so convinced it was Bert all those years ago but now he’s not so sure. He doesn’t want Bert back, not at all, but he has yet to meet anyone that can knock him off his feet in that way since, well at least not anyone legal.

“Hello, Stranger” comes a voice from behind Gerard and Gerard is startled for a second before he recognises the girl in front of him. Standing there in a cropped leather jacket and a yellow polo top is the bookshop girl, Alice.

“Oh hey!” Gerard grins, “You following me? I thought I told you I bat for the other team already.” He laughs and Alice gives him a sly wink

“Oh don’t flatter yourself,” She scolds, “I’m up next”

“Up next?”

Alice grins a crazy smile and Gerard suddenly wonders if he wants to be alone out of site with this girl. “On stage” she clarifies “With ma boy!” She shouts a little now and gestures to the beanie guy who raises one hand solemnly

“Hey” Gerard says

“Hey” Beanie guy says

Gerard guesses that Beanie guy isn’t much of a talker, but that’s okay. Alice goes on to tell Gerard about her music she sings in a sort of ‘dance meets LSD meets bible camp’ sort of deal with her friend Ethan (Beanie guy) called Crystal Castles and they’re kind of the ‘new blood on the scene’ and still like ‘finding their feet’ but they have a ‘pretty good following as it goes.’ So Gerard’s all I’m really fucking glad I wasn’t a total asshole at work today because this chick is awesome

“That’s really cool” Gerard says, because it is really cool

Then Alice says “I know right!” because- yeah.

It’s a few minutes later that Gerard realises that he has talked through nearly all of Frank’s set because Frank’s saying goodbye in a voice that totally does not match the way he sings, and then he’s jumping into the crowd guitar and all and wondering towards Gerard. Gerard doesn’t even have time to panic before Frank is like in front of him all smiling and happy and very very sweaty.

“Hey Gee, I thought I saw your face” Frank shouts a little as if he had lost all his hearing on stage.

Alice says, “Gotta go, see ya” and wonders towards the door marked back stage

Gerard waves to Alice’s back before turning again to face Frank, who is still sweaty. “Hey, you guys were really good” he says almost automatically

“Oh really? You were listening?” Frank asks and Gerard’s not really sure what that means but he nods anyway.

“I’ll get you a drink?” Gerard offers and totally not in that ‘Hey let me buy you a drink’ sleaze ball kind of way, just two guys having drinks after a gig.

“Sure, uh coke is great”

Gerard nods and wonders off to the bar, thinking deeply. Frank is drinking coke. Coke. Okay. Because sure he drinks coke all the time, it’s one of the few non alcoholic drinks that doesn’t feel totally lame to be ordering at a bar, but also Gerard orders coke because he doesn’t drink. This line of thought somehow trapezes into Frank not only being young, but also a child. Fuck.

Gerard tries not to think about this too hard as he carries the two (fucking) cokes back to his and Frank’s spot in the bar and sees Mikey and Frank chatting, surrounded by teen girls. He grins as he passes the drink over to Frank, still being careful to think nothing of it.

“Oh hey” Mikey says sipping on his own drink, “I was just telling Frank about your eighty-year-old lover down the street” He laughs when Gerard scowls.

“Fuck you” Gerard mutters “and she’s only seventy-eight,” he adds on before taking a sip of his own drink.

“I was totally kidding but now I’m kind of creeped out” and Mikey does look very worried for a few seconds before Gerard diverts his attention to Frank.

“She’s called Mrs Harte and she’s my neighbour and our relationship = completely platonic JS” Gerard says with a slightly pleading look in his eyes

Frank just holds up his hands in defence and says, “Whatever you’re into dude, I don’t judge”

And Gerard wants to object but Alice is on stage and is really fucking loud and Gerard realises that the description of her duo was perfect.

Crystal Castles are the last band Gerard listens to before Mikey gives him a lift home, he would have walked but Mikey made a fuss about rapists and muggers (They have knives Gerard, they have knives, knives!) and Gerard was to tired to argue with his stubborn little brother so he just accepted the lift.

Frank totally lets Gerard ride shotgun because “I’ve only got small legs and you get out first anyway” and they listen to Nirvana Unplugged all singing loud and badly as they round the few blocks to Gerard’s apartment where they say goodbye and call it a night. Gerard sleeps well that night, tired out from the singing and the moshing and happy enough that his usually darks thoughts don’t riddle his skull for too long before he goes to sleep.

A/N Fuck yeah new chapter! I’m so glad you guys liked Alice because we’re actually getting married and I was totally going to invite you all to the wedding so that’s cool. Anyway this was a little iffy idk my words weren’t making the sentences I wanted them too so I hope this was okay!

as a reward for reading here is a picture of my soon to be wife Alice http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0oqkgOBnT1rqy5wfo1_500.gif

3 reviews= update next tuesday
Sign up to rate and review this story