Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Slayer, The Avatar And The Guardian Of Light

CH4 - Companions

by GuardianOfLight 5 reviews

The Scoobies are discovered by Adam sneeking around his mansion

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Crossover, Fantasy, Romance - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2006-06-01 - Updated: 2006-06-01 - 2018 words

5Original
Chapter 4 - Companions

Dimension: 165 - Earth
Date: 4th July 2001 AD
Country: USA - California
Location: Sunnydale - The Guardian's Mansion - The Living Room
Time: Afternoon


"If you would be so kind to remove yourself from my lap, I would like to offer my guests a drink."

Willow had never moved so fast in her life. She leapt out of the chair and almost sent herself and Xander, who just happened to be in the way, tumbling to the floor. Willow turned her head and saw that she had been sitting in The Guardian's lap. After she had steadied herself, Willow and everyone (except Anya of course) had the decency to look embarrassed at being caught snooping. The Guardian smiled at their reactions, especially Anya's indifference. He was wearing his black shirt, tie, shoes and trousers again but without the black coat or gloves.

"Please sit down. There is no need to be embarrassed." he stated calmly.

"We...we're very sorry about...." Giles started.

"There is no need to be. I would be worried if you hadn't come and started looking around. Why do you think I was sitting here and didn't jump up and start demanding answers the second you opened the door?"

"How did you know we would come?" Tara enquired, surprising everyone, as she was usually quieter and keeping to the background.

"I heard Buffy say she didn't trust me as I left Mr. Giles's yesterday," he explained.

"That was at least five minutes after you left," Buffy said, confused. "You were outside, listening to what we said?" she said rather angrily.

"No, I was halfway here by then."

"Then how could you hear what I said?"

"I have excellent hearing." he smiled.

"No kidding," Anya chimed in.

"If you don't mind me asking," Tara questioned, changing the subject. "Why do you need the help of people like us if you are as powerful as the book says?"

"There are certain rules I have to obey. If I defeat every evil, then how will people like you gain experience? Certain people must kill or fight certain others in order for history to play out the way it should."

"But if you are to fight this battle, then why do you need our help?" Giles inquired.

"When does evil ever play by the rules? When I fight The First, he's going to bring an army with him. Who's going to fight them for me?"

"Oh," Buffy said, slightly worried.

"Now please sit." doing so as he offered them drinks. All the junior members (including Anya) other than Tara asked for assorted soft drinks, or a beer in Xander's case.

"What about you, Mr. Giles? Tara? Tea? Earl Grey?"

"Please," they both answered, slightly surprised at being offered. "And please it's just Giles or Rupert if you'd prefer."

"The same goes for the rest of us," Willow added.

"In that case, call me Adam. As I told Tara, I get annoyed being called The Guardian or one of my other titles everywhere I go."

"By the way, Giles." Buffy remembered. "Why did you come up to the University?"

"You called me." Giles said, confused by her question.

"I have to apologise, that was me," Adam started. "I knew once Buffy saw me she'd have to follow me on foot and drag Willow and Tara along after my car. And as I foresaw Buffy approaching, I called you using a pay phone, emulating Buffy's voice and told you to round up the others so you could all hear and see everything for yourselves. I apologize for the deception, Rupert."

Accepting his explanation, Giles nodded forgiveness.

At this moment the door was pushed open a crack. Everyone except The Guardian looked around to see who entered. A very large black cat had entered the room, went straight to The Guardian's chair and settled itself comfortably in his lap.

The Guardian didn't even move when the cat jumped on him; he just idly started stroking the cat. The others were studying the cat, although they didn't know why. The cat itself turned and looked at all of them in turn.

Looking into the cat's eyes, Tara was sure she saw something but she didn't know what. If she didn't know better, she would say that it was more than just a cat. As the cat turned its large yellow eyes to her, it seemed to look into the very depths of her soul, making her shiver.

"Everyone please allow me to introduce Mystique," Adam said gesturing to the cat, who as if on cue lowered its head as if bowing. It then proceeded to jump off his lap, land on the table and walk along until it jumped into a very surprised Tara's lap and proceeded to nuzzle her hand. She then cautiously started stroking it, Miss Kitty Fantastical won't like the scent when she returns.

At this point Xander looked around and fell out of his seat with shock, causing the other's attention to be pulled away from the cat.

Sitting beside where Xander had been was the biggest dog or maybe jackal any of them had ever seen. It was pure white and looked to be the most graceful and streamlined creature they had ever encountered. Unlike most dogs, this dog was not looking dopey or soppy by drooling or letting its tongue hang out, it looked sharp, intelligent and aware.

"And this is Lylacor."

Anya reached around the nervous Xander who had perched himself on the corner of his seat to avoid getting too close to the animal and trying to preserve what little dignity he had left after the fall. Anya eagerly scratched the dog under his chin and it leaned into her touch.

"They are my companions," he explained as Lylacor moved around closer to Anya and put his front legs up on the settee and started affectionately licking her hand, while she laughed.

"Lylacor," Adam said in his usual voice.

The dog turned to him. Adam gestured to the floor with his eyes and the dog jumped back down, still allowing Anya to stroke him. If anyone had been watching Mystique at this point, they would have seen her rolling her eyes and giving Lylacor a look that said "Dogs".

"Adam if you don't mind me asking, what species of dog is that? I'm afraid I don't recognize it," Giles asked, causing Lylacor to growl.

"That's because he's not from this dimension and he's not a dog. He's a snow wolf, or white wolf, so please call him a wolf not a..." he paused as the wolf turned to him with a warning glance, "D.O.G." Lylacor turned back to Anya after sending Adam a look that if he were human would have said, "Don't be patronizing".

"Oh I almost forgot," Adam explained, clicking his fingers, causing a tray of drinks appeared on the table and each glass or cup floated very steadily to the person in question, all of whom took their drinks carefully out of the air.

At the same time a tray of refreshments appeared, containing cookies, doughnuts, pastries, scones, assorted biscuits, nuts, crisps and some fresh 'dipable' vegetables (like raw carrot and celery) with the appropriate dips, along with a large plate of chocolate fingers.

Needless to say, the others were a little surprised and hesitant to eat until Xander picked up a doughnut and started eating. The others just stared at him as he ate.

"What?" he said around a mouthful.

"Please tuck in. I assure you I have not poisoned any of it," Adam said smiling. After that they did start eating, though more civilized than Xander's 'stuff your face' method.

Adam, Giles and Tara being the most sensible of the assembled group picked up plates to eat their food from, Giles and Adam both took scones, while most of the others helped themselves to doughnuts and chocolate fingers, Tara decided to follow Adam and Giles example and try a scone.

As soon as Giles took a bite out of his scone he let out a moan of pleasure, which caused the others to stare.

"I haven't had a scone this good since I was last back in England," Giles explained around the remains of the scone.

The Guardian made a sound of agreement as he finished his own.

"It's so hard to get good food over here, even in England you only ever get really good scones from Devon and Cornwall, good old fashioned cream teas with home made clotted cream." Adam replied, obviously enjoying the memory.

"You're British?" Tara said while placing cream on her second scone, obviously having enjoyed her first.

Adam nodded. "Can't you tell? Only the British know how to make a really good cream tea," he said, raising his scone to make his point.

"You made these yourself?" Giles asked.

"I did. I made all of these," he stated. "Except the vegetables, I grew those, it helps to pad the time." he added.

"You made the chocolate fingers," Buffy said sceptically.

"They are a very simple recipe."

Buffy stared at him as if to say, "Really?"

He nodded in response.

"Adam, if you don't mind me asking, where did this mansion come from?" Giles inquired "I have been past the town limits before and this mansion wasn't here the last time I passed."

Adam leaned forward and finished his mouthful as if to say, "That is the question I have been waiting for you to ask."

"It's not really here. This is an....an illusion, if you will. It is a partial replica of my house, as it has been a long time since I have been there and I like to be reminded every so often." he said the last words sadly.

"It's all magic?" Willow asked.

"Certainly."

Buffy glanced at the clock and got up like a shot. "Oh shoot, we were supposed to pick up Dawn from school."

"Well then," Adam said, placing his plate on the tray and standing up. "Let's go and get her." he proceeded towards the door before the Scoobies could ask questions.

The others trailed after him, Xander last as he had stopped to get another chocolate finger, leaving the animals in the room.

When they got outside, there was a black stretched limousine waiting for them, complete with driver holding the door open for them.

"Afternoon Sir."

"Afternoon Parker." replied Adam as he moved to get into the vehicle, stopping briefly to ask the driver a question. "By the way Parker, who won the football?"

The driver smiled. "England did Sir." he replied happily.

He smiled slightly and got into the car, followed by the others.

The limousine had a black leather interior, with a wood finish. The seats were arranged so everyone could see each other.

"You like soccer?" Xander inquired.

"Football," corrected Adam "Not really."

"Then why did you ask who won?" Xander asked, confused as they felt the vehicle set off.

"Because I hate it when the French win."

Adam reached down beside one of the seats and lifted the lid to a small concealed fridge. "Drink, anyone? I'm afraid I've only got champagne."

"Only!" exclaimed Willow.
________________________________________________________________________

A couple of minutes' driving later (which confused them as it should have been at least fifteen minutes journey) they pulled up at the High School, just as the bell rang.

Climbing out of the vehicle they waited until they saw Dawn and her friend leave the building before approaching.

Needless to say, Dawn was a little shocked when she saw her sister standing in front of a limo, plus the fact that she was getting the full blown Adam effect. But what surprised the Scoobies was that she for once was speechless.

"Dawn, this is Adam, also known as The Guardian," Giles introduced. "Adam, this is Dawn, Buffy's sister."

Adam moved forward, took her hand and kissed it, sending Dawn's face the colour of Willow's hair.

When The Guardian looked up, he looked into Dawn's eyes and seemed to study her. After a second, he stopped and very calmly said.

"Charmed." making Dawn blush still further.
Sign up to rate and review this story