Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Inheritance and Fate

Change we embrace you + Arthur Weasley goes AU

by mgenna 2 reviews

The results on the scar are in. Arthur lays down the law.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Sci-fi - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2011-03-23 - Updated: 2011-03-23 - 4330 words

-1Cliche


- 9 - Change we embrace you.



Ian asked a team of healers to take over Harry's care at St. Mungo's Hospital. He knew he was too close to Harry to look at his care objectively. He had mind healers, resident curse breakers, and child specialists performing a battery of tests. Ian explained as much as he could about the tests and the healers. Harry was impatient about the whole process, but was pleased with the level of attention Ian had given him.



"Healer Tonks, can you explain what Harry's results mean?"



"Yes, I will try to explain the scope of the tests. Harry, you have a number of bone fractures and nerve damage that we need to fix. Our healers will come to Hogwarts to fix your injuries over the next year's time. The bruising all over your body has stunted your growth. We have a means to address each problem area.



You have unique scarring to your magic core and different portions of your brain. It will take a while for us to reverse the damage. While we at St. Mungo's have an excellent staff, we have to consult with some other healers to fully treat your magic core and brain. This injury will not keep you from fully participating in any activities at Hogwarts, but it does explain the memory loss.



Ian informs me he has assembled a team of healers who will work at Hogwarts so we can catch abuse like yours early. We don't want any students to suffer the same fate you have. Ian tells me you found a unique solution to abuse. If your remedy works on abuse, each healer will implement it during the year. Any questions?"



Harry asked, "Will you be coming to Hogwarts to check up on me?"



"Yes, I will. You won't see me before All Hallow's Eve. I think it will take me that long to find the right specialist for your brain and core damage. The other healers present at Hogwarts will handle any follow up care for the nerve damage and bone fractures."



Harry thanked Healer Tonks. He responded, "The Druid ritual I used is not my magic to share. I received permission from Leit and Wyatt to use their family magics. If you need permission to use the ritual, you will need to get in contact with both of them. I combined what I learned from the books I received and used that magic. I can't pass that magic onto you."



"It is an honor for wizards to have a family to extend their magic to a non member. I will follow up on the ritual with the two you mentioned. Take better care of yourself, Harry. I will see you in a few months." Healer Tonks left the room.



Ian took Harry back to his home at Privet Drive. "Harry, if I can offer you any more help, let me know."



Harry extended his hand. When Ian shook it, Harry spoke out. "Magic hear my voice. I release Ian MacKenzie from his life debt. I find him worthy in his service to magic."



Ian was infused with a blue light. The chain links tying Harry to Ian dissipated.



"Thank you, Harry. I can begin my family now. I didn't before because I didn't want to pass my debt on to the next generation of MacKenzies."





A few neighboring cities over, a eleven year Muggleborn girl charged around her house checking her packing list. Hermione Granger had been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Professor McGonagall had visited her home to explain the magic community Hermione was now a part of. She had expected in June that she was all set for her next school year.



Hogwarts had changed her expectations by sending a second letter. Hogwarts had reinstated an exchange program for the upcoming year. They sent an option of going to three different schools for the new year. Hermione accepted entry into the exchange program and selected the Avalon School of Sorcery. Their program offered an introduction into the most subjects. Their graduates did research in a broad range of magic phenomena.



Hermione was looking forward to the peer mentoring program. She hadn't made many friends in her primary school. She hoped by going to this school where they offered mentors; she would be easily able to make friends. Flourish and Botts accepted the return of her Hogwarts books and allowed her to buy the new schoolbooks for Avalon.



Her Hogwart's letter assured Hermione that she would be able to meet other Hogwart's students during the short summer session. Hermione could not believe she would get the opportunity to meet two completely different sets of students. She might be able to have books and friends for the first time in her life.



Her parents liked Avalon because they invited them to come to and participate in Hermione's orientation. There was an Avalon parent association which would better introduce them to the magic world and Hermione's studies. The APA had already reached out to the Grangers to explain the permanent portkey they supplied for each parent. Even though Avalon was a boarding school located in Alberta, Canada, Hermione's parents could visit every weekend if they wanted. The Grangers only had one child and refused to lose contact with her.





Hermione was not the only Hogwart's exchange student who was looking forward to the new school year. George and Fred Weasley finally had an opportunity to learn more potion making skills. Instead of receiving a new book list for this new Hogwarts year, they read and accepted an offer to go to Medini Herbology, Alchemy, and Potion School of Magicks. Molly Weasley had a fit.



George and Fred had waited until their father came home from the Ministry before asking him to go. The letter indicated that Hogwarts accepted payment for the year while Fred and George took advantage of learning new subjects. The school was known for helping its students to find jobs or start businesses upon graduation. Arthur Weasley said yes before he had talked it over with Molly. George and Fred quickly thanked him and sent Hogwarts their acceptance.



Later that evening, Ronnie had asked Arthur the same question. He had received aletter indicating he could go to a chess masters school in Russia. He would learn languages, core magic subjects, and the opportunity to get involved in chess and quidditch tournaments. In exchange Hogwarts expectected Ron, Fred and George to be a part of a summer program next year. Arthur also gave permission for Ron to go.



Percy Weasley was as excited as the rest of the boys. He would have his first year at Hogwarts all to himself. He would finally just be Percy, not one of five Weasley boys. This year would be perfect for him. He had his prefect's badge, a girlfriend, and no siblings pranking him. How much better could things get?



Arthur Weasley was pleased that his boys would have more opportunities than he had growing up. Molly was not speaking to him, but he couldn't stand in his boys'way. Bill lived in Egypt. He'd ask Bill to periodically visit George and Fred in Saudi Arabia. The school was hidden away in the desert and isolated from any other people. Charlie lived in Romania. He'd ask Charlie to watch over Ronnie like a hawk. His youngest son was as spoiled as a boy could be. Molly had taken her excessive energy and poured it out on Ron. The boy didn't have the skills to look after himself. Charlie would be able to even out some of Ron's shortcomings.



It might take Arthur a few weeks to get Molly to turn around, but he figured he might as well take advantage of her anger. He took Ginny aside and asked her whether she wanted to join the local muggle school. No matter how much Arthur argued with Molly, he had yet to send one of his children to the muggle schools. Arthur had already spoke to his muggle liaison in the muggle government. They set up an official record for Ginny. He knew she didn't want to be in the house with Molly all day each day. This would give her a chance to see something new and give the Weasleys a chance to do something different.





Headmaster Dumbledore and Deputy Headmistress McGonagall appeared in front of the Board of Governors. Albus had presided over the summer conclave of the International Confederation of Wizards for the previous 8 weeks. Minerva had visited her sister's family in the highlands across the Scottish countryside for the past couple of weeks. Neither knew why they had been called to this meeting.



The Sorting Hat presided over the inquiry. He sat in the center of the conference table with 3 governors.



"Albus, you've been called before us to account for the dereliction of duty over your tenure as Headmaster. Lady Hogwarts has become active again and wants to understand why her halls are empty over the summer. She wants to understand why her halls haven't been filled during the regular school year."



Minerva looked to Albus for an explanation. She did not know that the castle was sentient. She had been following Albus' lead for the past two decades.



"Well, we stopped holding summer sessions in 1914. Headmaster Dippet decided the teachers needed time away. During this same period, we stopped housing the students year round. The Ministry reduced the number of students eligible for Hogwarts during the war with Grindenwald. The Board of Governors was co-opted by Voldemort's elite guard twenty years ago. We are not the institution we once were. I've done everything in my power to educate as many children as I can."



"Lady Hogwarts has asked me to be her mouthpiece for this meeting, Albus. Hogwarts stands alone and outside the interference from the ministry. You have not been a good guardian over the legacy of the Founders." Lucius Malfoy handed Albus a list of breaches Hogwarts wanted remedied.



The Sorting Hat continued with Hogwart's grievances with the management team of Dumbledore and McGonagall. Augusta Longbottom had assigned a proxy to cover her votes on the Wizengamot so she could devote her complete attention on Hogwarts. The changes Lady Hogwarts was demanding would change the face of Britain. She wanted to be sure she added her unique touch to those changes.



Lucius Malfoy also wanted to press his mark to changes Hogwarts made. His son, Draco, received a Hogwarts acceptance letter that allowed him to go to Durmstrang for the year. His wife demanded that Lucius allow Draco to go to Hogwarts. He acceded to her wishes so long as Draco got a chance to experience other institutions. Lucius was convinced once Draco experienced a taste of Durmstrang, Draco would insist Narcissa let him stay for seven years. Lucius would retain his influence at Hogwarts without allowing these changes to impact his son's future. It was a win without the direct fight.



Anita Vance watched as Albus was humbled. She did not know what Minerva had been told previously, but it was pretty obvious that she followed the cult of Dumbledore. Governor Vance wondered why Minerva had failed to investigate any of these grievances prior to this meeting. After the initial list had been read aloud and acknowledged, Anita pressed forward in asking questions.



"Minerva, I am curious. How can you be the deputy headmistress and not know what these obligations entail?"



"Anita, Albus never gave me a manual of conduct to follow. I have tried to keep the students fed, educated, and relatively happy. I make sure we have sufficient food, exercise, and rest. I work with all the staff so they can remain competent in their individual fields. I had no idea that the last 3 headmasters had allowed the Ministry to set policy for Hogwarts. It was an oversight I plan to correct as soon as I receive a copy of all the standards Lady Hogwarts expects."



The Board and the Headmasters discussed what the new leadership team would have to do to get Hogwarts back on the right track. They discussed candidates for the available position of head of house. During the dialogue, Minerva and Albus discovered the reduced number of incoming students for the fall. Lucius indicated he was impressed with the new exchange program Hogwarts instituted. Augusta Longbottom announced she was pleased with the new schools Lady Hogwarts had accepted into the building. Her Neville would get a chance to learn new Herbology techniques based on Demeter School of Harvest partnership with Professor Sprout.



Albus told Lady Hogwarts that he would ask Griselda Marchbanks to preside as Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot in his absence. Minerva told Lady Hogwarts she accepted all the changes she had mentioned. Minerva was overjoyed that she would no longer have head of house or transfiguration responsibilities. Her students would have more adults to learn from, but she would finally be able to focus on all the things which had slid through the cracks. It was a great day to be an educator.

- 10 - Arthur Weasley goes AU: An Interlude





"If you do this, Arthur Weasley, I am leaving you!" Molly said this in the middle of his living room. Her hair swirled. Her face flushed an angry red. She was clenching and unclenching her fists. Her body was taunt with grievance.



At that singular moment, Arthur's whole life with Molly flashed before his eyes. He worked at the Ministry of Magic because she /thought it would be the best job to support his family. They had Bill two years before graduation because /she did not want to take the potion for birth control. He lived in this house because she didn't want to live amongst the rest of Clan Weasley.



Here, she stood telling him off about the future welfare of his children because /she/didn't want them to miss out on all the wonderful things Hogwarts had to offer.



"If you leave, don't stay away for too long. I will give you a year from today. Ayear and a day, we will be going our separate ways."



Molly screamed one last time. Most of the kitchen appliances flashed into the living room. She called up all of her belongings from upstairs. She packed away most of furniture in the family room.



Her children had been mostly silent in the midst of the argument. With her possessions sitting in the middle of floor, her children went to pieces in front her. Arthur stood next to the door waiting for Molly to make it official.



"Fred and George behave yourself at this new school. No one knows you or this family there. Whatever impressions you make, you will make them for the entire family.



Ronnie, I don't know what you could possibly learn at a chess masters school. I won't be there to wake you up and get you ready for the day. You will need to do everything for yourself. Your older brothers won't be able to smooth everything over either. No one knows the Weasleys there.



Percy keep your grades up. You've made me proud by remaining at Hogwarts. Be sure to write often.



Ginny get your stuff. You are coming with me."



"No Molly. When you go, Ginny stays here. You are leaving this home and this family in a fit of pique. When you go, you go alone. Ginny will be fine. She will have a new routine and learn new things. Be sure to write and let her know your departure has nothing to do with her."



"Arthur! I will not leave my daughter."



"Then, you will be staying here. Ginny has nothing to do with your anger. Why should she have to learn a new way of living away from her home? She will keep all the comforts of home, here at the Burrow."



Molly took a moment. She hesitated. She looked at Arthur by the door. She watched the tears fall down Ginny's face. Arthur made several major decisions without her input. She was doing the right thing.



"Ginny, I am leaving today. I am going to Aunt Muriel's for a couple of weeks first. When I know what I am going to do with myself, you will be the first to know, baby. I know you believed this year without Ronnie would be difficult for you. Arthur's decision for you to go to a muggle school will give you a completely new experience. You go to school everyday. Your father has squib tutors who will work with you, so you understand the basics. Your nights will be adifferent routine.



I am very angry at your father, but I know he will make sure you get your meals on time and you have whatever money you need. Please floo me whenever you get home from school so we can talk about your day."



Ginny hugged Molly. Molly wept openly. It was a horrible scene. Arthur kept to his resolve. His children's future came first. Both Bill and Charlie were living the lives they wanted to live. They found happiness from the work they did. He wanted that for all of his children. Molly did not think beyond her own needs and wants. Arthur made the only choice available to him. If Molly could not accept his decision, then she was more than welcome to leave the Burrow for as long as she felt necessary.



"Alright boys, take care. Get the most out of learning in your new environment. I will see you during your winter break. I am sure your father and I will work our disagreement out long before then." Molly hugged and kissed each child. She shrank her belongings and put them in a trunk. She looked at her family and her home.



With her back turned to the children, she stepped up to Arthur. A scowl firmly in place, she quietly said, "You should think long and hard about splitting up our family for a matter like where are children will go for an education! Is one year of schooling abroad and in a muggle place worth all of this?"



"Molly, I will do what I must to make sure our children have a future they choose. Is being right more important than having a husband and living with your daughter?"



Molly apparated out of the Burrow trunk in hand.



The boys were clearly upset. Ginny was beside herself. Arthur used his wand to transfigure 3 couches and a chair for the family room. He looked at his children.



"I want each of you to know you always have a home at the Burrow. Weasleys fight. We argue. We lose our tempers. We also will always remain together as a family.



I will support you in whatever choice you make. You are too young to remember the arguments Molly and I had when Bill and Charlie decided they wanted to take careers leading them away from Britain. I took the same position as I have now: your lives will be best served when you make your own informed choices. Molly has a different view.



You have done nothing wrong. Each of you will be set on a particular course based on your school, your friends, your ambition, and your ability to reach out and grab the things you want. I stand firm in my choice to help you make your dreams come true. When you succeed, I will be proud. When you fail, I will be there to help you learn from each mistake.



I am your father. I couldn't love each one of you more. I go to work at the ministry to make sure I have enough money to care for you. This next year will be a growth year for each one of us. We will see where we come out in the end.



Boys, go pack tonight. I have three different schools to take you to tomorrow. Ginny, we are going to visit each school so you get to see the range of options available to you.



The boys ascended the stairs to their rooms. He sat on couch with his arm around Ginny. They sat in silence. He had no idea what the future would bring, but he knew he had to floo Charlie and Bill.





First stop finished. Percy boarded the red train on his way to Hogwarts. Arthur spent the morning explaining what he expected Percy to accomplish during his O.W.L. year. In addition to his exams, he wanted Percy to tell him where he would be working the following summer. He told Percy how Bill and Charlie selected curse breaking and dragon handling by their summer plans after they took their O.W.L.s. Arthur made sure Percy knew he didn't expect him to figure out in one summer or in his fifth and sixth years respectively, but he did want him to explore all his options.



The next stop was for the twins. Medini Herbology, Alchemy, and Potion School of Magicks was set in an austere environment. The permanent portkey Arthur had obtained dropped them off in the bleakest of deserts. Arthur could not see one building for miles around. Fred's and George's instructions said they were to wait for someone to get them. After ten minutes, a woman peeled back a portal like the one taking wizards from the Leaky Cauldron into Diagon Alley. The woman introduced herself as Hamra Taub and gave them a tour of the twins new school.



Hamra explained the twins were invited to come early so they could understand their new environment better. She described the international flavor for their school. The school was completely cut off from their muggle counterparts, but the school had classes to help the students blend in if they ever left the magic section. When the twins saw the potion storage for their dorm, the instruments for the science of chemistry and alchemy, and the hydroponic herbology section; they knew they had made the right decision. They doubted they would go back to Hogwarts after this year.



Hamra gave Arthur a welcome packet with the parent's association information. She told him he would be expected to return for Fred and George when they completed their semester projects. Medini had 1 short break every 4 months. They would be home at Christmas, sometime in early May and the last of August. Arthur and Ginny could visit as much as they wanted.



He, Ronnie, and Ginny hugged both boys. He told them he expected them to write at least once a week and would not tolerate them misbehaving. He didn't write howlers. He would come to Medini and take them back to the Burrow if he heard any bad news. He made sure he received a copy of their student handbook before he left.





Their next stop was St. Petersburg, Russia. The Wizarding community remained here when the muggles moved their capital to Moscow. The temperature difference was pronounced and unbelievable. They could actually see the school and business district laid out before them. Ron would have regular access to Russia's Diagon Alley.



Kashchei Chest Master School of Wizardry was a magnificent fortress. Ron's new head of house met them at the gate. "Welcome, welcome. You are first Western student in a long time. We're surprised you heard of us. My name is Ruslan Peterovich Popov. I will show you around and give you some information about us."



Arthur was thrilled. His son would have strict discipline in this school. Ron was excited because he would be immersed in logic games, riddles, chest tournaments, and war games. They even offered a quidditch league in the spring and summer. Professor Popov assured Arthur that Ron would be a man when he finished this school.



Arthur and Ginny hugged Ronnie before they left. He told Ron that he should use the post box he gave Ron to send him a daily letter. He told Ron he expected him to study hard and make the right choices.



Ginny and Arthur returned to the Burrow exhausted. Three schools in three days was more legwork than Arthur had done before. He wanted his children to know even though they were further away than Scotland, he would be right there if they needed him.



The house was cleaner than the family had left it. They could smell their dinner cooking in the kitchen. Ginny's face lit up. Arthur grabbed Ginny's hand.



"Ginny, don't get your hopes up. I hired an elf, Sarai, to take care of the house and most of the chores. She is willing to stay for a year while Molly and I work this argument through to its conclusion. You will still be responsible for your room and helping with dinner."



Ginny stopped running toward the kitchen and stood in the middle of the floor. Arthur set her down on the couch. He placed his arm around her again.



"I will be working partial days at the ministry for the rest of this year. We will leave here at 7:30 each morning so you can get to school on time. I will pick you up and take you to your tutors each evening after school. We will eat dinner here every evening together.



We will get through this. It might not be what we want, but it is what we have."



They sat on the couch a long time that night.





Meanwhile, Molly was listening to Muriel rant. She wondered whether she sounded like that. She hoped not.



She finished mailing letters to her sons asking how their first day at school had gone. She knew she would not be able to live with Muriel longer than two weeks. She asked herself what she would do with her time now that she was away from the Burrow. She had a lot of thinking to do. She decided she would reach out to Ginny tomorrow.





Sign up to rate and review this story