Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Always Attract

Playing The Blame Game

by -impervius 1 review

The morning after.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Humor,Romance - Characters: Bob Bryar,Frank Iero,Gerard Way,Mikey Way,Ray Toro - Published: 2010-12-06 - Updated: 2010-12-07 - 1590 words - Complete

2Exciting
The sun leaked in through the blinds above Mikey Way’s hospital bed. He awoke because he had no choice; the sun was far too bright to sleep through. As he sat up to take a sip of water, he felt the aching of his head, and vaguely remembered that he had not been alone last night. He glanced around the room; Abbey had left. Mikey couldn’t help but feel disappointed. However, he could not blame her. She was with his brother now, and Mikey should have respected that the previous night. He couldn’t say he regretted asking her to stay though; nothing had happened and he had just needed someone next to him, to remind him he was not alone. He sighed as he thought of returning to his empty apartment, and the lectures he was sure to receive from his friends about his behaviour.

Mikey was roused from his thoughts by a nurse entering the room. ‘Good morning Michael,’ she said brusquely. ‘How are you feeling today?’ She did not sound like she cared much, more like she was asking out of obligation. Mikey ran his fingers through his hair and nodded, smiling politely. ‘Yeah, lots better.’
‘That’s good to hear.’ Mikey was beginning to think this woman didn’t mean a thing she said. ‘We’re going to get you an MRI today, which means we’re going to give your brain a scan just to make sure we haven’t missed anything. Provided that the results show nothing abnormal, you’ll be free to go. We’re also recommending,’ she lowered her voice. Mikey was not sure why, the only other person in the room was a sleeping old man who had not woken once the entire time Mikey had been there. ‘That you get some counselling. It’s just hospital protocol, you know.’ She nodded at him, patting him on the shoulder patronisingly and began fiddling with his IV drip.

~

Abbey was sitting on her bed in her room, staring at the door and absentmindedly rubbing Hairy McLairy’s belly. Gerard had called to say he was coming to pick her and Frank up so they could go to visit Mikey and convince him to get sober. Frank entered the room, making Abbey jump with his abruptness. ‘Sorry,’ he grinned sheepishly, after she scowled at him. ‘I was just making cookies and wondered if you wanted to help.’ Abbey looked at her best friend exasperatedly. ‘What?’ He said, shaking his head. ‘I was just asking. But evidently you are far too busy, sitting around doing fuck all. I’m sorry,’ his voice quickly transitioned from sarcastic to condescending. ‘Look at me, I’m Abbey, I’m all deep in thought and have no time for cookies. Hmph!’ And with that, he disappeared from the room, slamming the door behind him.

Abbey had many thoughts running through her head, and Frank was the least of her worries. She found herself thinking of the night before and how nice it had felt to be back in Mikey’s arms. In contrast, she also felt guilty. She had finished the night of her date with Gerard in his brother’s bed. Regardless of the fact that nothing had happened between them, it still did not sound right. Abbey put her head in her hands and rubbed her face tiredly. She couldn’t keep this from Gerard. It was not fair. She got up from the bed and disappeared into the living room, just in time to hear a knock at the door.

Gerard’s grinning face was revealed as Abbey swung the door open, Hairy McLairy jumping up all over him as he entered the apartment. ‘Hey, you!’ He cooed to the dog, scratching him behind the ears. ‘And hey, you!’ He turned to Abbey, and put his hands on her hips, kissing her heatedly on the lips. Abbey quickly pulled from the kiss. ‘Hey,’ she spoke timidly. ‘I have to tell you something.’ Gerard frowned but allowed Abbey to pull him to the couch. She told him everything about the previous night, making sure to leave out no details. ‘I just needed to tell you,’ she gushed. ‘Even though nothing happened and it was all innocent.’ Gerard just sat, staring at her.
‘You spent the night? You said you were just going to talk to him then go home.’
‘I know, I didn’t plan it.’ They sat in an awkward silence, which was interrupted by Frank entering the room, a tray in his hands.
‘Cookies?’ He grasped the atmosphere within the room and stood rooted to the spot, smiling awkwardly. ‘I will just be going then,’ he said, and backed slowly out of the room. Abbey and Gerard sat next to each other, avoiding each others’ eyes.

‘I thought you’d figured out how you felt,’ Gerard said quietly.
‘Well, not exactly,’ Abbey replied. ‘I just wanted to give you a chance.’
‘What? Like out of pity?’ Gerard’s voice was stiff.
‘No, because I like you, and I wanted to try being with you.’
‘Well I’m sorry Abbey,’ Gerard said sarcastically. ‘But I think you should have been clearer with me about this. I’m not yours to jerk around whenever the fuck you want. Either you want me, or you want Mikey. You can’t have both. This isn’t like a soap opera.’ He stared at her, waiting for an answer. When none came, he stood up. ‘I’m done,’ he spat. ‘Don’t come to the hospital today, my family can’t fix itself with you around.’ He exited the apartment, slamming the door behind him, as Abbey sobbed quietly.

Frank poked his head around kitchen wall and moved to sit next to Abbey. ‘I’m sorry Abs.’ He put his arm around her and rubbed soothing circles on her back. ‘Remember, it’s not just you he’s mad at. He’s worried sick about his brother. I think he just feels like nothing’s going right for him at the moment. He’ll come around.’
‘Maybe I don’t want him to,’ Abbey sniffed. ‘He’s right, I’m only tearing him apart.’ Her phone started vibrating and she made a frustrated noise, cursing in the process. Frank kept his arm around her as she reached for her cell phone. ‘Hello?’
‘Hey Abs, it’s Darcey.’
‘Oh, hey.’ Abbey’s voice was flat; she could not even pretend to be excited for this phone call.

Darcey could hear the unhappiness in her little sister’s voice. ‘What’s wrong?’
‘I took your advice and now I’m in the shit. That’s what’s wrong.’
Darcey was silent for a moment, evidently chewing over this piece of information. ‘What happened?’
‘Gerard and I went out, even though I knew I still had feelings for Mikey, and Gerard found out and doesn’t want me around anymore.’ Darcey listened as Abbey ranted about the situation. ‘I shouldn’t have listened to you,’ Abbey shook her head. ‘I should have just done nothing, because now I’m even worse off.’
‘Hey, you took a chance,’ Darcey conceded. ‘At least you didn’t sit around doing nothing.’
‘But now I’m in a shittier position than I was to begin with! I know you were trying to help, but in the future, don’t ever do that again! Fuck!’ Abbey said angrily.
‘Fine, next time I’ll know better than to try and help my sister!’ Darcey sounded hurt.
‘Yeah, thanks,’ Abbey said sarcastically, and hung up on her.

~

Gerard, Ray and Bob all sat around Mikey’s bed at the hospital. A nurse had just come in to notify the group that Mikey’s MRI was normal, and he was free to go. Mikey had just changed into his jeans, t shirt and hoodie. He had noticed that Gerard seemed agitated and he was trying to figure out why. ‘Where’s Frank and Abs?’ He asked.
‘I’m sure you’d know better than I would,’ Gerard said bluntly. Mikey frowned. ‘Look, let’s cut to the fucking chase. You’re in trouble. You need help. We all love you. Please, at least get some counselling.’
Mikey stared at Gerard. He looked to Ray and Bob, who were both silent but looking at him, waiting for his response hopefully.

‘Two of the people that are supposed to love me aren’t here. Why?’ Mikey asked.
‘They had stuff going on,’ Gerard replied vaguely but curtly. ‘Please, listen to us. You need to get help.’
‘Come on Mikey,’ Ray said encouragingly. ‘We know shit’s been hard with the record and Jamie and everything, but the sooner you get help, the sooner you can feel normal again. You wanna feel normal for the tour, right?’ Mikey avoided his friends’ eyes.
‘I’m fine,’ he said. ‘I’m not gonna do it again. I promise. Let’s just go home. Like you said, I just want things back to normal.’ His tone was dismissive. He did not want to talk about this. He rose from the bed and walked out the hospital door, his friends following him apprehensively. Mikey knew his friends wanted to help him, but he wondered about the two that were missing from the group. Clearly they thought him beyond redemption if they weren’t here?

-----
Oh no, none of them are doing very well today, are they?
Rate and review! Thank you in advance :D
Sign up to rate and review this story