Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Faring Well

Chapter 8

by whoah-that 8 reviews

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Angst - Characters: Gerard Way,Mikey Way,Ray Toro - Published: 2010-11-24 - Updated: 2010-11-25 - 1436 words

5Ambiance
“Hurry up and finish your cereal, Mikey,” Gerard said, running into the kitchen and grabbing the pot of coffee that was boiling over off the heater. “Shit!” he said, dropping it when he realized that the handle was burning hot. Hot coffee splashed up onto his work shirt, splattering the Ray’s Records logo over the left breast. “God dammit!”

“Gerard!” Mikey gasped. It was a rare occasion, indeed, when Gerard cursed more than once without correcting himself.

“Not now, Mikey,” the teenager said, not even realizing that he’d just swore in front of his little brother. He poured the scalding hot drink into a cup and downed it as quickly as possible, feeling it sear the back of his throat on its way down. By the time the coffee had made it to his stomach, he was already back in his room, changing his shirt. Thank goodness he had two.

He pounded back down the stairs, looking for his shoes. Not in the hall closet, not in his room…”Mikey!” he called out, checking behind the sofa in the living room. “Have you seen my sneakers?”

“You left them outside to dry because you stepped in a big puddle on the way in last night, Gee. Remember?”

“Thanks, Mikes!” Gerard ran out to the porch and slipped into his still slightly damp sneakers. “Are you ready to go?” he asked, running back into the house and throwing a water bottle into his messenger bag.

“Yep,” Mikey said, standing up from the table.

“Put your bowl in the sink and then we’ll go.” Gerard hit the tap that was too high for Mikey to reach, and his little brother dropped the bowl into the sink with a clash of plastic on cheap porcelain. “Got something to keep you occupied while I’m working?”

“I packed my new comic books.”

“Where did you get new comic books from?” Gerard asked sharply, knowing he hadn’t bought new comics for the boy in quite a while.

“Bobby was getting rid of some he didn’t want and gave them to me.” Mikey smiled, reaching into his bag to pull out the comics to show his big brother.

“Okay. I’ll look at them when I’m on break, Mikey. We gotta go.” Gerard picked up his little brother around the waist and carried him out the front door, making sure to get all three locks before running to the car, still carting Mikey.

Just as he was throwing his little brother into the passenger’s seat, a silver pick-up pulled into the Way brothers’ driveway. Gerard groaned. “Not now, Ray,” he sighed as his curly-haired friend stepped out and stumbled forward, gripping his head in his palm and squinting his eyes.

“This is serious, Gee.” Ray stood in front of the car door, so Gerard had no choice but to look at his friend and hear what he had to say.

“I’m going to be late for work!” In response, Ray just cocked and eyebrow, not budging from where he stood. Gerard sighed dejectedly. “Okay, what is it?”

“Harper hooked up with Bob Bryar last night!” This was what was making Ray so livid as to drive to his friend’s house unbearably early in the morning, with a hangover, no less?

“Oh my God, Ray, I don’t care! I don’t care what Harper does on her own time. I have to get to work!” He tried to sidestep his friend, but it didn’t work. Gerard grunted in a frustrated manner, running a hand through his hair.

“You should care, you piece of shit!”

“Hey!”

“Sorry Mikey,” Ray said quickly, waving at the tiny boy who was still waiting in the car. “She’s our friend, Gerard!”

“Okay, and what does it matter if she hooks up with Bob Bryar?” Gerard crossed his arms and tapped his foot impatiently.

“It just does! She shouldn’t be doing stuff like that!”

“Unless it’s with you, right?” Gerard said, his patience snapping. He would now have to drive double the speed limit just to make it to work before his boss fired him.

“What?” Ray yelped, his eyes growing wide. “No! That’s not what I said at all! Why would you say that?” He bit his lip. Gerard sighed and shook his head, reaching into his pocket.

“Where are my cigarettes?” he huffed, patting down his back pockets in search of the little package.

“You quit again last week, Gee, remember?” Mikey’s little voice piped up from the passenger’s seat. Gerard sighed again, gritting his teeth.

“Right. Well, I’ll talk to you tomorrow, Ray. I’m sorry,” he added at the look on his friend’s face. “I just really have to go. I can’t afford not to have a job right now,” he said under his breath, jabbing his thumb in Mikey’s direction.

Ray sighed in defeat. “Okay. See you tomorrow, man.” With that, Ray got back into his truck and drove off, waving and honking the horn good-naturedly.

“Alright, Mikes, let’s go.”

“How long are you quitting smoking for this time, Gee?” Mikey asked innocently, clutching his Transformers backpack in his lap as Gerard weaved illegally through traffic, pushing the speedometer needle farther along than it had been in a long time.

“Hopefully for good, Mikey.” Gerard said distractedly. He was concentrating on not running over any pedestrians.

“That’s what you said the last few times.”

“Well, it’s hard to just stop something you like doing. What if I asked you to stop reading comic books forever? Wouldn’t it be hard?”

“Yes!” Mikey said, clutching his bag closer to his body.

“Exactly.” The conversation was dropped, and the rest of the trip to the record store was silent and short-lived. As soon as the car was off, both brothers had jumped out of the car and were sprinting in through the front door of Ray’s Record Shop.

“Just on time, Gerard,” the owner of the store, also named Ray, said, walking by carrying a large box full of CDs yet to be shelved. He smiled at Mikey, waving and making Mikey laugh with a funny face.

“I’m so sorry, Ray,” Gerard said. “My friend--er, Ray--wouldn’t let me get into my car.”

“Why’s that? Haven’t been drinking, have you?” Ray said sharply. He was a nice guy, but pretty old-fashioned about rules and laws. It was all in good intentions, though; he didn’t have any kids of his own, so he made sure to watch out for all the kids that worked in his store. That was why he let Gerard bring Mikey to work with him every shift.

“No, sir,” Gerard said. “He was just upset about something stupid. That’s a teenager for you.” This made Ray laugh, so Gerard laughed as well.

“Certainly is. Well, Mikey, you can go to the break room, or you can look at some records, or whatever, just as long as you let Gerard work, right?” Mikey nodded. “Good boy. Now, Gerard, Gabe called in sick--”

“Again,” Gerard murmured under his breath. His coworker, Gabe, was always calling in sick whenever he was scheduled to work a weekend or Friday night, making the other teenagers at the shop pick up his slack.

“--and I’m gonna need you on register today.”

Gerard had to stifle a groan. Register was the worst job at the store. Thanks to iPods, barely anyone bought CDs anymore, making cashier the most boring position to hold. All you did was stand there, and you weren’t allowed to leave, even if it was a slow day, not even for a moment. “Okay,” he sighed, slouching behind the counter, preparing to while away the hours until his shift was over.


Hey, guys! I'm so sorry I haven't updated in such a long time, I've just been swamped with drama stuff. We had the fall play the 12, 13, 14, and then competition on the 20, and then we have a kids' show on 4 December, and then another competition 11 December. So it's been pretty hectic. I'm glad I got a chance to update this on my day off, though. So...what do you think is going to happen while Gerard's at work? You know something's happening, but I'm not telling what it is. ;D By the way, who else is in love with Danger Days? I'm dying, it's so good. So...yeah. Look alive, Sunshine. Killjoys, make some noise!...In the comments, that is...go comment and subscribe. OverAndOutxx
Sign up to rate and review this story