Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Pride of Gryffindor

SERIOUS TALKS

by Quillian 0 reviews

Harry talks with a couple of people about things that need to be said...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Harry - Published: 2005-05-18 - Updated: 2005-05-18 - 1474 words

0Unrated
DISCLAIMER: See Ch. 1.

NOTE: People have commented on Harry being too super powered towards the end of HoG (which, in retrospect, I have to agree with), so here, I compensate for that. (By the way, does Snape's explanation make any sense?)

Also, this chapter is dedicated to GreenGecko, since her story "Resonance" inspired some of the Harry/Snape interaction here.



CHAPTER 9: SERIOUS TALKS

It was midway through July when Snape showed up at the Burrow, wanting to talk to Harry about something.

"Something wrong?" Harry asked, sitting down on a bench in the extended garden.

"Not in the sense you may be thinking of," Snape said, collecting himself and sitting down on an opposite bench, his black robes contrasting with the symphony of bright colors around him.

"If you are going to pursue your desired career path and be an Auror, you are going to need to fill out applications at the beginning of the upcoming year."

"That's it?" Somehow, Harry had been expecting something else.

"Not really. I would just like to impress on you that it's one of the most dangerous career choices."

"But surely it can't be that difficult... not after how I killed Riddle just last month."

"Actually, that's part of the problem. The Headmaster and I have been doing research into how you came through in a clinch with all that power during the final battle. It would seem, Harry, that you somehow managed to get a surge of power at that point in time, most of which you used up during the final battle, especially culminating in how you survived Riddle's Killing Curses and killing Riddle himself. Do not worry; you still are powerful enough; it just might even take years before you have that kind of power again."

"Okay," Harry said, nodding. "I understand."

"Good. Now, of course, this significantly may make things harder for you. Just promise me you will be careful. Needless to say, it is one of the most hazardous occupations a wizard can have."

"Of course, Severus."

For a moment, an unspoken thought seemed to have been shared between the two of them: Snape was merely trying to fulfill his role as Harry's guardian.

"There is one other thing: Is there any particular amount of time you continue to wish to stay here for?" (They both knew that Harry was staying at the Burrow for old time's sake.)

Something about Snape's simple inquiry puzzled Harry; it almost sounded as though he missed his ward...

"Well, after my birthday, the Weasleys and I were thinking about going on vacation for Ginny's birthday. Hopefully, for the second half of August, I'll come back to the manor."

"Ah. Well, in which case, I hope you enjoy your vacation, and I will see you then." As he got up and turned to leave, he gave one last bit of advice. "Just so I remember to say it now, Harry: Enjoy your time with Miss Weasley, and try not to accidentally produce any unwanted progeny."

Harry felt his face instantly go red, but before he could protest, Snape was gone; he had Disapparated.



A few minutes later, Percy walked into the garden. He was taking a sip from a flask he wore from his belt; it was part of his medication after the event where Voldemort shot him through the chest with that nasty, deadly curse.

Harry was still sitting there after having some conversation with Snape. Percy asked, "Mind if we talk?"

The younger wizard noticed Percy, looked up at him, and said, "No, not at all."

Percy gingerly sat himself down opposite from Harry, in more or less the same spot where Snape had just been.

"Getting any better?" Harry asked.

"Somewhat," Percy said.

"So what did you want to talk about?" Harry asked.

"I..." Percy stopped for a moment, thinking about what he wanted to say before he continued. "I just wanted to apologize for that whole feud that went on for several months."

Harry looked at Percy. "You already did."

"I know, it's just that... let's face it, we're both dancing around the subject, trying to pretend it never happened."

'How observant,' Harry thought. "Yes, I was thinking about the same thing."

"I'm sorry I got so desperate to make you look bad in order to make myself look better, I'm sorry my impulse got in the way of my reason, and I'm sorry I turned everything upside-down and ruined things for so many people," Percy said, the words just streaming out of his mouth. "I'm just glad I was able to do anything at all, like find where Riddle was hiding you."

Harry took a moment to unpack all that, and said, "It's okay, I forgive you. Again."

Percy sighed. "I know, I just feel like even now, I'm not doing enough..."

"Try this, then, Percy: Forget about it and just move on."

There was an odd silence between them, which Harry quickly broke by saying, "I'm sorry if that sounded rude or anything..."

"No, it's not that," Percy said semi-quietly. "I just figured... Well, if I were to ever make a mistake, I'd just work to compensate for it... and maybe work some more, just to make sure."

'Hm,' Harry thought to himself, 'Some people use self-flagellation as punishment, others use paperwork. Now there's an interesting insight into Percy's mind...'

"Percy," he said, collecting himself, "Why don't we leave it at this: We both made mistakes over the war, we both tried to fix those mistakes, we were both critically injured because of those mistakes and nearly died because of them, Voldemort and most of his goons are dead, we're alive and relatively healthy, so let's just move on and be done with it."

After a moment of contemplation, Percy gave a small smile and said, "I like it."



From one of the rooms on the upper levels of the house, Mrs. Weasley was watching her surrogate son and third oldest son, glad that the two of them were finally taking steps to put things back together.

A moment later, she went back to sorting through her daughter's laundry, when she noticed an unfamiliar white T-shirt with a subtle yet strange aura around it.

'What's this?' she wondered to herself. Taking out her wand, she performed a minor spell, and some unexpected words began to form in purple lettering...



Ginny was watching her boyfriend and third oldest brother from the kitchen, glad that things were finally coming back together.

Just then, her mother's voice called down from her room.

"Ginny?"

"Coming, mum," she said, sprinting up the stairs to her room.

When Ginny entered, she stopped dead in her tracks.

Her mother was looking at a certain white T-shirt with purple letters on it, a peculiar expression on her face.

"Ginny, love," Mrs. Weasley said calmly, "Could you please explain what this is?"

She held up the shirt so its message was now visible: I lost my virginity to Harry Potter and all I got was this lousy shirt.

Ginny could have died of embarrassment on the spot, and she was sure that if her face got any redder, something in the room would catch fire.

With excruciating slowness, Ginny looked up into her mother's eyes, expecting to see some emotion (most likely anger). But that was far from Mrs. Weasley was actually feeling at the moment.

First, the corners of her mouth started to twitch. Then, Mrs. Weasley started chuckling. Then it finally came down to hearty laughs at the situation.

Ginny could then only stare at her mother.

'Oh Merlin... I've just driven my own mother insane,' Ginny thought horrified. "Er, Mum...?"

Mrs. Weasley shook her head, still laughing, and neatly folded the shirt, purposely putting it at the bottom of the pile.

"Then again, I'm not going to ask," Ginny finally said.

"I doubt even your twin brothers could have thought of that," Mrs. Weasley said with a snort.

Ginny rolled her eyes. Ever since the joke shop had opened up a year before, Mrs. Weasley had been more tolerant of their career path. Interestingly enough, that had been after Fred and George had cut their mother five percent of their profits.

"Oh, and don't worry, Ginny dear..." her mother added. "I know that... er, the statement is invalid."

Blushing again, Ginny asked, "Um, and do I want to know how you would know that?"

"Call it maternal instinct, dear," Mrs. Weasley said to her daughter with a wink.



TBC...

A/N: HAHAHA! I'm sorry, but that shirt was begging for an encore appearance! XD

Next chapter is Harry's seventeenth birthday... -Quillian
Sign up to rate and review this story