Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Dark Light Within

Old Enemies and New Allies

by Concealed-Convict 13 reviews

Harry wakes up in a strange location to discover what has happened to his body. HP/DG

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Fantasy - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2008-12-03 - Updated: 2008-12-04 - 3324 words

5Original
A/N: I don’t own Harry Potter. All I own are the plot, which is probably going to be very clichéd and the original characters. This won’t change no matter how many times I wish for it.

This will probably be a Harry/Daphne story, but I am not entirely sure yet.

*

Old Enemies and New Allies

Harry awoke slowly and lay where he was, trying to remember what had happened to him. The last image he had before he fell unconscious was of a bright white light surrounding his body and then … nothing. He was vaguely aware of being dragged to a car and thrown in before being driven quickly away. His first thought was that he had been kidnapped by Death Eaters, but even as the panic struck him he realised that couldn’t be true – whatever he was sleeping in was very comfortable and he was free to move. He was fairly certain that if he was a prisoner of Voldemort he would probably be in a lot of pain.

Aware that he was in a safe environment, Harry forced himself to sit up and open his eyes. Harry gasped. His vision wasn’t blurred like it normally was without his glasses – in fact, it was better than he had ever known, even with his glasses. It was then that he remembered his vision. Gryffindor had told him that this was likely to happen and he wondered what other changes had taken place. Worriedly he held up his hand “Please don’t be blue, please don’t be blue” he thought. He breathed a sigh of relief; his skin wasn’t blue, although it had gotten slightly darker.

Harry looked around the room. I was definitely feminine, but not overly, it looked comfortable. He spotted a mirror against one of the walls and climbed slowly to his feet. He walked unsteadily over to it and stood in front of it, amazed at he changes the transformation had taken upon his body. No longer was he the scrawny 5’5” boy, now he estimated his height to be around 6’3”. His body was toned now as well, he admired the muscles in his arms and the abs he had developed in such a short period of time. His eyes were still green, though they weren’t as bright and appeared to be slightly red around the pupils. Harry walked over to the window to see how much time had passed since the transformation began. The sun was not yet at the highest point it would reach that day, it looked to be the middle of the morning.

“That’s good,” Harry thought to himself “It’s still my birthday and it looks as if it’s only half ten in the morning. I should probably try to find out where I am.”

Harry looked around the room once more and found a bathrobe that looked about seven inches too short, but decided to put it on anyway, rather than walking round a stranger’s house in only his boxers. The rational side of his brain thought that he had still been dressed last night and that the person or persons unknown had already seen him in only his boxers, but he was too modest and shrugged the bathrobe on anyway, the boxers were likely to rip anyway.

He exited the room and turned left. He let the smell of food and coffee guide him through the building. There were portraits decorating the walls of the hallway, although Harry didn’t recognise anybody in them. He descended a flight of stairs and turned right. Soon the aroma of coffee led him into a large dining room, although there was only one person sitting in it. She sat at the head of the table with a copy of the “Daily Prophet” open in front of her. On the front cover Harry saw a picture of himself, smiling and waving under the headline “Potter – Missing In Action.” Harry cleared his throat and the woman sitting at the table jumped as she first noticed him.

“Oh, child, don’t do that, you scared me!” exclaimed the woman “What are you doing up anyway, the physician said you wouldn’t be awake for another forty-eight hours?”

“Huh?”

“Oh, let me explain what happened, you see, three nights ago, me and my daughter felt someone trying to use our magic and we didn’t know another wizard lived anywhere near us. So we decided to investigate the disturbance and we ended up finding you, unconscious in the room of that house – Number Four or Five Private Drive, I think.”

“Four Privet Drive,” corrected Harry.

“Okay, Number Four Privet Drive, anyway, we saw the state you were in and thought that the treatment you had obviously suffered was no way to treat any child, let alone the saviour of the magical world. Long story short, we brought you back to our house and you have been asleep for three days. The doctor was surprised at the vast changes your body was undergoing and how quickly you were healing. How do you feel anyway?”

“Hungry, but apart from that I feel great, wait, did you say I was unconscious for three days?”

“Yes, child, my daughter spent most of that time by your side, worried sick about the whole thing.”

“Please ma’am, call me Harry.”

“Then you must call me Hilda – my dad was the Swedish ambassador to your Ministry of Magic – I won’t have any of this ma’am business.”

“Okay”

They both turned towards the door to the dining room as a teenage girl sprinted in.”

“Mum, he’s gone, he’s gone – someone must have taken him, we have to do something!” exclaimed Daphne.

Harry laughed and the girl in front of him whirled round to face him.

“Who are you and what do you – oh” shouted Daphne as she turned around.

Harry recognised the girl and his expression was instantly cold. “Greengrass,” he said.

“Potter.”

“Now, you two, don’t behave like that, try to put the whole house competition thing behind and act civilly,” said Hilda “Please.”

“I’m leaving” declared Harry “I won’t stay where I am not wanted.” He faced Hilda and said “Thank you for your hospitality.”

Both Hilda and Daphne replied at the same time.

Hilda said “And where do you think you’ll go?”

Simultaneously Daphne muttered “Sorry.”

Ignoring Daphne, Harry said “I’ll find somewhere – I am sure the Weasleys or someone will look after me until we get back to school.”

“Oh no you don’t, young man,” said Hilda sternly “You aren’t leaving these grounds, not until you are fully recovered. How do you think anybody would react when they see the changes on your body, especially with the news that you have been missing for three days?”

“What, you want me to stay here until you can contact Voldemort and he can come to kill me?” shouted Harry angrily.

Hilda’s voice was instantly cold “Whatever you have heard about us Harry, you should know that we are not dark. In the first war we were neutral and after You-Know-Who’s resurrection the bastard murdered my husband and forced my daughter to watch.”

“Sorry” Harry mumbled “I didn’t know.”

“It’s alright Harry, although in the future I would advise you not to leap to conclusions about people based on what house they are in at Hogwarts.”

“Thanks.” Harry turned to face Daphne, staring at his feet, “I’m sorry to you as well. I never meant to hurt you.”

“It’s okay” replied Daphne.

“Err… can we make a fresh start?” said Harry.

In reply Daphne held out her hand and said “Hi, I’m Daphne.”

“Harry,” said Harry and they shook hands.

“Well, isn’t this a momentous occasion – a Gryffindor and a Slytherin shaking hands,” joked Hilda.

Harry chuckled and then realised he still hadn’t eaten in three days as a rumbling noise came from his stomach.”

“Oh, I forgot you two haven’t had breakfast yet, what would you like to eat?”

“As much as possible” said Harry.

Even before he had finished speaking the dining table was covered in a wide selection of food – everything Harry had ever thought about having for breakfast was there and then some.

“Wow, I haven’t seen this much food anywhere except for Hogwarts” said Harry as he piled food onto a plate which had appeared in front of him.

“Yes, our house elf is very proud of how much work she does.”

Everyone sat at the table in silence as Harry and Daphne ate. Daphne was thinking about Harry. “He isn’t scrawny anymore, he’s really tall and he’s built. Wow, am I attracted to Harry Potter?”

At the same time Harry was admiring Daphne. “Hogwarts robes really don’t flatter the girls. I didn’t notice Daphne before and even if she is a Slytherin there is no way any sane male could ignore those curves. Okay I gotta stop thinking about her like this – she’s a Slytherin, for crying out loud” he thought.

As the two teenagers ate Hilda noticed the glances they were sneaking at each other, and as they finished eating she said “You two, we can’t spend all day staring at each other. We have to get Harry some new clothes.” She nearly laughed at the bright shade of red the two people in front of her were turning.

“Right, but what am I going to do about all the stuff I left at the Dursley’s?” questioned Harry.

“Already taken care of” was the reply from Daphne “We sent Winky to collect everything.”

“You mean Winky, Mr Crouch’s old house elf?”

“Yeah, that’s the one, why, do you know her or something?”

“I’ve run into her on a few occasions. I thought she was working at Hogwarts.”

“She was, but she really needed to be bonded to a family, I met her in the kitchen one time. One thing led to another during the year and at the start of the holidays mum bonded her to our family.”

“Okay, that explains it.”

“We can either sit here all day chatting about things that don’t matter or we could do something productive, like getting Harry’s new wardrobe sorted out,” interrupted Hilda.

“We really don’t have to do that, you know. I don’t need any new clothes.”

“Yes you do. You have grown by nearly ten inches. Even those old cast-offs you were wearing wouldn’t fit you now.”

“I guess your right, but there is another problem – I don’t have any money to pay for new clothes.”

“Today’s your lucky day then. I’ll cover the cost for you, and if you really feel that you need to pay me back, you can do it after we visit Gringotts.”

“That’ll do.”

“Now that that’s sorted Daphne would you please go find the tape measure and one of those order-by-owl catalogues you always have scattered around your bedroom floor.”

It only took Daphne a minute to return to the dining room with the tape measure and a handful of catalogues, which she dumped on the table. Hilda flicked her wand and the tape measure seemed to leap towards Harry and start taking his measurements. Over the next two hours the trio sat looking through the catalogues, picking out clothes which would form Harry’s new wardrobe. By the middle of the afternoon the form had been sent away and Harry was several hundred galleons in debt.

“Don’t worry about it Harry. You needed new clothes and we got them for you. Besides, you’re a Potter; it’s not as if you would struggle to pay the money back” was all Hilda would say when Harry started to worry about how he would pay them back.

*

Harry and Daphne spent the rest of the week waiting for Harry’s clothes to arrive and getting to know each other better. Harry discovered that Daphne’s birthday was 28th November, she enjoyed horse-riding, shopping and acrobatics. She had also tried out for the Slytherin quidditch team as a chaser, but Malfoy didn’t like her and he persuaded the captain to turn her down, even though she was a good flyer. Harry was surprised to learn that Daphne could use a bow reasonably well – it was a skill her father had persuaded her to train in.

When Harry’s packages arrived that Friday she insisted that he tried everything on - from the boxers to the dragon-hide cloak. Everything fit Harry perfectly and the two Greengrass females could tell that he felt more confident wearing clothes that fit and looked good for the first time he could remember.

Later that afternoon, as the two teenagers relaxed in the living room with Harry lounging in a chair and Daphne lounging in a sofa opposite him, Hilda approached them. They watched her come closer and Harry noticed how much Daphne looked like her mother.

“You two haven’t done anything all week, you’ve sat inside since Harry arrived. I think that tonight you should go out and enjoy yourself. See muggle London. It’ll get you a bit of fresh air at least.”

The trio agreed that Hilda would drop the teenagers off in the centre of London. Harry and Daphne would find somewhere to get dinner and then proceed to a club which had opened recently. When the club was closing Hilda would return and pick the two up.

*

Later that evening, Harry and Daphne stood at a street corner watching the black Aston Martin drive away.

“I still can’t believe my mum is actually letting me do this,” remarked Daphne. “Usually she would never let me stay out as late as she is planning on letting us. And, if I am honest with you, this is my first time going anywhere without Tracey Davis – you remember her, we have been told we are inseparable at Hogwarts, probably because we are the only Slytherins in our year who refused to bow down to Draco Malfoy – but that’s beyond the point.”

“Your mum must know that I am a charming young man who would never get a lady like yourself into danger,” Harry replied jokingly, surprised at how comfortable he was with Daphne,

“Yeah right, Mr Potter, Danger follows you around. It must be addicted to you.”

They both laughed as they strolled down the street.

“Do you have any idea where we are, Daphne?”

“I think so, if I remember correctly there should be a really good restaurant just around this corner.”

The two turned round the corner and ducked into a small restaurant, which looked French. Harry stared dumbly at the menu, unsure of what anything was.

“Err, Daphne, do you have any idea what some of this stuff is?”

“No, I was hoping you did.”

“I guess we are going to have to go for a lucky dip and see what we get then.”

“Okay, but you are ordering first.”

In the end, Harry ordered a spring onion with noodles to start followed by roast lamb with vegetables and potatoes with a summer fruits tart for dessert. Daphne ended up with a prawn cocktail as a starter, baked cod and a rocket salad as her main course and finished with a chocolate mousse. Both teenagers agreed the meal was delicious and hoped it was worth the price, as neither knew the conversion rate for muggle currency.

Once the meal was finished and paid for, the pair walked leisurely towards a club. As they approached the music got louder and the neon sign appeared to glow even brighter, if that was even possible.

They had just joined the queue of people waiting to get in when one of the bouncers spotted them and approached saying “You Harry Potter?”

“Yeah.”

“Right this way then sir, you don’t have to wait in line, your godfather owned this place. He used to brag about you all the time. Do you know what’s going to happen to the place now that he’s dead?”

“Sorry, I don’t know. Although I will probably find out whenever his will is read.”

“Okay sir. Here you go.”

As they entered, one of the people in the line shouted “How come they get to skip us?”

Instantly the bouncer replied “If you got a problem with the way the owner runs his business you take it up with him, although it’s a lost cause. These two are personal friends.”

The duo didn’t hear the reply as they were already being ushered into the club and a waitress was offering to get them a drink.

“What can I get you two lovely people to drink?”

“What would you recommend?”

“The bartender makes a good martini.”

“We’ll have one each then.”

“Very good sir, and would you prefer them shaken or stirred?”

“Shaken, not stirred.”

“Right away, sir.”

The two teens found a booth in a quiet corner of the club and sat down to take their drinks. Daphne bet Harry to drink it all in one go.

“Only if you do it as well,” was Harry’s reply.

“Okay then, on three. One, two three.”

Both teens knocked the strong drinks back and gasped as it hit the back of their throats.

“Wow that’s strong. It’s nice but when it hits the back of your throat…” commented Harry.

“I know what you’re saying” said Daphne. “Two more,” she shouted to the waitress.

After the next round of drinks the duo decided it was time for a dance. Both enjoyed the sensation of the other grinding against each other, although neither of them admitted it. Many of the other patrons noticed how close the teenagers were dancing and also spotted how uneasy they were doing it. A few even joked about it – two good looking teenagers being uncomfortable dancing close to each other. The night continued the same way – sitting down for a few drinks and then dancing with each other.

By the end of the night both Harry and Daphne were thoroughly drunk. Neither of them wanted to leave the club and its loud, fast-paced music, so when they were asked to leave by the manageress after the last song Harry started to complain and he became mildly aggressive.

“You, sir, are drunk” the woman said to Harry.

“And you are ugly, at least in the morning I won’t be drunk any more,” Harry snapped back.

At this point the bouncers realised what was going on and escorted Harry and Daphne out of the club, where they found Hilda waiting impatiently for them. The two teens clambered into the back of the car, and Daphne rested her head on Harry’s shoulder. Hilda’s first thought was that her daughter was growing up, but she didn’t say that. She did, however say “You two are going to regret all that alcohol in the morning” as she pulled away from the corner.

*

A/N: This is more along the lines of the chapter length I am aiming for, although in the future I won’t update so quickly. I am trying to get the main story up and running a.s.a.p. which is the reason for the speed of the updates.

This will probably become a Harry/Daphne fic. with Dumbledore as a real meddler – Harry’s actions definitely are not helping his plans.

A few lines in this chapter were inspired by James Bond and Winston Churchill, but can anyone tell me what these lines are? (The James Bond one should be pretty obvious.)

Reviews are welcomed and very much appreciated.

Thanks
Concealed-Convict
Sign up to rate and review this story