Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Black Ascension

Vestigium Occultus

by Omni_Black 1 review

Post OoTP will have HPB Spoilers. Harry decides that he wants to be in control and away from Dumbledore's Manipulations. Appearences and perceptions are changing, true faces are shown, secrets reve...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Other - Published: 2006-03-15 - Updated: 2006-03-15 - 3148 words

5Original
Chapter 2: Vestigium Occultus


In the morning he was awakened not by his Aunt screaming at him to make breakfast, but an Owl. Getting up he opened the window for an odd looking owl with sharp claws with spidery wings and clever eyes. A Grådighet Owl, if he remembered correctly, from one of the few History of Magic classes he paid attention to. They were used exclusively by the Goblins, so evidently he was getting a letter from Gringgotts. He gave the owl some water and a treat (not realizing Hedwig had no yet made it from Hogwarts) as he took the letter from the Goblin's Owl. 'Well, the only reason they could want to contact me would be for Sirius's will, I suppose. But I wonder how they found out about that. The ministry, as far as I know, is not even aware. Doesn't matter, the Goblins are a lot more competent than the Ministry, it really shouldn't be a surprise. I'll open this later. First I need a shower. Sitting too close to a pig can't be too good for your hygiene.

Walking out of his bedroom he passed Dudley who attempted to push him out of the way to get into the bathroom.

"I suggest you back off. I was here first. Wait your turn." Deciding that this was too good to pass up he continued, "I'm actually surprised Dudley, to see your interest in taking a shower. Good for you, maybe now you won't smell like an ass. But you still have to wait. " This was too much for Dudley, who was trying to think of a biting comeback, but only succeeded in looking constipated. Then, with a near audible grinding noise he got an idea.

"Dad," Duddikens yelled. "The freak won't let me into the bathroom! Tell him to get out of my damn way!" with that, Dudley settled back with a smug look, deciding that his father would take care of everything and that nine months was too long to not see the freak get shown his place. 'He really should have been home for dinner last night, instead of tormenting seven year olds. Well, his ignorance is my entertainment.' Harry thought to himself.

"Leave him alone Dudley," said Vernon from the kitchen in a pained voice. "He's paying for his keep; I'll build you your own bathroom next week." Dudley looked disbelieving for a second, then perplexed. 'Even if the freak was paying for himself, why would dad listen to him? What did he do to them? He must have done something... he must have used his freakishness on them!'

"I don't know what you did to them, but I will find out. And when I do you will pay for it, Freak." Said Dudley in what he thought as an intimidating voice. With that Dudley stalked off, thinking about what he could do to his cousin for corrupting his parents with a sick gleam in his eye. Had Harry seen that look, he might have been worried, but he didn't.

Getting out of the shower he noticed through the foggy mirror that his hair was longer. He quickly wiped the mirror to get a better look.

"What the hell is going on?" he asked the mirror. It looked and felt real. But his hair was never this straight. Or long, or had red in it. Which was odd, he decided. 'Why have I never had to have a hair-cut? And why was it that when I did, it grew back the next day?' He decided to contemplate that later as he got a good look at his face. He looked, well different more like his mum, actually. He had her nose, something that had always looked a little wide, was now smaller and more elegant. His features over all looked more, well, aristocratic. He could still see some of his father in himself, but a lot was subtly replaced by something else. It was something familiar, comforting almost. He just couldn't place it. When had this happened? Yesterday, perhaps? He did feel a little odd during the confrontation with Vernon. Could that be why his Uncle looked scared? 'Whatever it is, it's not hurting me. On the contrary, I look damn good, so it can't be all that bad.' He thought as he left the bathroom.

Entering his bedroom he saw another letter sitting on his desk waiting for him in Dumbles loopy script. 'Well, lets see what the old man wants.'

Dear Harry,
I hope that this letter finds you well. I apologize for any pain I may have caused you. I assure you that this was not my intent. All I can say, once again, is that everything I have done has been in your best interest.
That said I am sorry to inform you that you will not be able to leave your home before the end of summer. I may be able to retrieve you for your birthday, but you would have to come back the next day. The Order will, of course, be monitoring your neighborhood to ensure your safety and that of your family.
I realize you may not like your aunt and uncle, but it is necessary to live with them in order to ensure the blood protection, for their sake as well as yours, during the summer. I also regret to inform you that due to the danger of interception, you will not be able to send or receive post from your friends.
Sirius's death was not your fault. Many events amalgamated together to give us the nightmare that was the Department of Mysteries. You must study harder at occlumency to make sure that something like this does not happen again. During the beginning of the year I will be unavailable, so you must continue with Professor Snape again. Perhaps this time you will give him your full attention?
If you are not yet aware, let me tell you that Gringotts will be contacting you soon for the will reading of Sirius Black. I stress to you the importance of your safety and the major security risk that this event encompasses. In light of this I have decided that I will act as your representative and pass along anything you will receive. I'm sorry that things have to be this way. I truly am.
Albus Dumbledore
'Well isn't that special,' thought Harry. 'So the old man thinks an apology is going to fix things. "In your best interest", what does the old man know about what is best for me? He is locking me away, trying to cut me off from the world with the excuse of my safety. More like the less I know, the more dependant on him I am. Can't even leave the house! There monitoring me. That may make things slightly more difficult. No post, I wonder if Ron and Hermione will realize that with so many bodyguards they could easily pass along a note with one of them. Probably not; Ron is too stupid, and Hermione will think that no post means absolutely none.'
"I may be able to get you out for your birthday, but you would have to come back the next day", 'He may be able to get me out? He's the one forcing me into this prison. It's not like anyone is pulling his strings. Just trying to make sure that I am grateful for being paroled for a short time. Merlin, the man has orbs to say something like that.'
"Necessary to live with them in order to ensure the blood protection, for their sake as well as yours, during the summer", 'well that explains some about the blood wards. They only protect me during the summer, but it protects my family through out the rest of the year. Screw that, they have done nothing for me but abuse me, physically and mentally. It's muggles like them that created Voldemort. If they are attacked after I leave, then so be it. It won't be any more than they deserve.'
'Is he really suggesting that it was my fault that I was unable to learn occlumency? When the oil slick can't see past my resemblance to a dead man to even attempt to teach me? He did nothing more than rape my mind for his perverse pleasure. Pulling up any and every horrible memory I had. "Clear your mind" my ass. He probably made it easier for Voldie to get into my head. There's no way Occlumency is supposed to make you so weak. Snape will get his the next time I see him.
'Well now I know that the Gringotts letter is what I thought it was for. Who is he to tell me that I can't go to the will reading of the only family I have ever known. True, I never got to know him very well, but he was like a really cool dad. He has no right to tell me I can't go. I'll figure a way. Goblins, while greedy little individuals are clever, and if their protections on the vaults are anything to go by, more powerful than wizards give their lot credit for. Could be useful if I could get one or two to help me out.
No, he's not sorry. Not yet anyway. He'll be sorry when he realizes he has screwed my life up almost as bad as Voldemort, and that I am aware of it. He has lost his weapon forever. Never again will I be controlled by him.
Ripping the letter up into little pieces until even a 'Reparo' wouldn't fix it helped ease his anger a little. Getting up he looked at the letter from Gringotts. Looking closely, he could make out a somber grey colored outline around it, like the outline of the lights he had seen around the people at Hogwarts. He noticed that it felt a little heavier than a regular letter and resembled a small package more. Upon opening it, three things fell out. The first item was a folded letter which was attached to the second item, a square leather pouch that couldn't possibly fit into a letter envelope without magical aid. The third was a chain with a large pendant at the end that looked like the Gringotts seal.
He decided read the letter, the answers to what the items were would most likely be explained.
Dear Mr. Potter
We here at Gringotts send our deepest sympathy for your loss. We are contacting you to make sure that you are aware of your summons to Gringotts for your part in the will of Sirius Orion Black as main beneficiary. The will must be executed no later than August the 1st. After that date anything and everything that has been left to you will go to the next of kin. In this case, Bellatrix Black Lestrange and Narcissa Black Malfoy as the only kin not disowned. There will be a public reading on July the 13th for all named in the will.
However, if it is not possible for you to attend (due to circumstances beyond your control), contact us through the mail pouch. Simply put your letter into the pouch, and tap your wand on the seal three times, stating who you are, the subject of the letter, and who the recipient is at each tap. It is a much faster and more secure way of sending information as it can not be intercepted. The chain and pendant show you as a beneficiary and cannot be stolen once it takes a blood sample. This helps if you wish to not alert anyone to your presence. Simply show it to a goblin and he will bring you to me.
Again, we extend our sympathies to you.
Yours in Business,
Silverhook, Black family Account Manager
'Interesting,' thought Harry after reading the letter. 'Yes, Goblins are definitely not given enough credit. This will help might just help me to get around the Bird Club. It seems as though Dumbledore isn't as loved as he would claim to be. He must have done something to piss the Goblins off like this. I wonder if the pouch can send items too. I'll have to find out. Given enough incentive, I think I might be able to get Silverhook to assist me in my jail break.'
'I'll write to Siverhook later to tell him of my situation. First I need to think about what I want to do and what I need to get.' So sitting down at his desk he began to make a list.
- Need to go review what I should know
- Need books on all the subjects. Charms, Transfiguration, etc. and Occlumency/Legilimency, Animagus, Runes, Arithmancy
- Need Clothes
- Way to do magic outside of school
- Find a way to become more powerful, fast (Voldie isn't going to wait around now is he?)
- Fix eyes (Glasses are no good in a battle)
- Take care of business at Gringotts
- Better shape (Quidditch may help for stamina, but I'm still weak)
- Figure out a way to get to Diagon Alley without alerting the Burnt Turkeys
- Get money out to pay the Pig
- New wand (Can't kill the Dark idiot with my wand)
- Living appliances (Got to make sure I can live where I am going)
- Leave quickly after attaining what I need
- Figure out what this sight thing is
Well, that's out of the way. I hope I can get this done fairly quickly. 'Where is Hedwig, I wonder? Maybe it's a longer flight than I thought. I should write to Silverhook now.'
Dear Silverhook,
Unfortunately our mutual friend has deemed that it is too great a security risk for me to leave my house for any reason this summer. That said I would like to get this taken care of as soon as possible. I can't do what I need to do in this prison so I will be leaving soon. I believe that the rest of the Wizarding world does not give the Goblins enough credit. This mail pouch is amazing. Something like this could put Owls out of business.
Provided that enough incentive is given, I was wondering if you knew a way around this pesky underage magic law. It's really limiting me, and I would like to do away with the blasted impediment.
Thank you,
Harry Potter
Putting the letter in the pouch and tapping it three times while saying 'Harry Potter, Confirmation, Siverhook, Black family Account Manager'. The leather glowed an ethereal black and emerald before filling up with air and deflating itself. Opening the pouch up, Harry saw that the letter was no longer there.
'I don't need another confrontation right now. I'll wait until Vernon's gone for work and Dudley has left the building before getting something to eat. Well, lets get to work. I have five years of work to review, and the sooner I can get that out of the way, the sooner I can leave.'
Gathering all his books together he realized that he could only use two of the five defense books from school. Those were the ones picked by Remus and the Mad-eye Imposter. 'Funny,' Harry thought, 'I have been taught more about defense from Death Eaters and 'Dark Creatures' than by any other teachers. That's just sad.' He concluded. Deciding to do one subject a day he figured that he would be done by the weekend
He decided to start on potions first as it was his worst subject, then do Charms, Transfiguration, Herbology, and finally Defence. History of Magic was a lost cause, as was Divination. If he had enough time he might try to pick up Ancient Runes and Arithmancy. Runes were used in some Rituals, Wards, and Enchantments which could all be very useful. Arithmancy was used in spell creation and modifying spells.
Going through his potions textbooks he couldn't quite understand why he had could comprehend, or enjoy potions for that matter. Going through his notes he realized that there were reasons certain ingredients reacted badly with each other, and once those reasons were understood, potions were quite simple. It was a lot like cooking, if you understood how different foods would react together, you get the desired taste. However, if Snape would have explained these little facts, things would have been easier from the beginning. He attributed his ability to comprehend the art of potions to his new state of mind. He was about half way through his Potions textbooks when the Mail Pouch inflated, alerting him to mail being received. Inside were a letter and a bottle of an amber colored liquid. 'I guess that answers the question about whether or not items can be sent through the pouch.' He thought to himself as he opened the letter.
Dear Mr. Potter,
Yes, our friend can be incredibly vexing at times. Money and flattery will get you everywhere with Goblins, Mr. Potter. Something the Potter family never quit understood, I am told. But you seem different Mr. Potter. Enclosed is the 'Vestigium Occultus Potion'. This potion only works on small, magical items, as it is technically a poison and is potentially fatal if ingested. It eliminates any tracking charms placed on the item, even Ministry regulation tracking charms for underage Magic use. Simply place the item in the potion until it absorbs all of it. This potion is a level 3 Ministry regulated item, Mr. Potter. If you are found with it, you did not get it from us.
I will assume we will discuss this 'Incentive' you mentioned when you next come in? We hope that this helps you in your endeavors, and hope to see you soon at Gringotts.
Yours in Business,
Silverhook, Black family Account Manager

'This is excellent' he thought to himself, 'Now the Ministry won't know about my magic use.' Placing his wand in the potion, he sat down to finish his potions book from 3rd year. Ten minutes later his wand had soaked up every last drop of the potion and glowed the same amber color for a moment. When it was done he decided to test it.
"Reparo!" he shouted. Like a tape on rewind, all the broken items that littered his shelf were fixed. "That was more than expected. If the potion worked, then the Ministry is no wiser and I wont receive an owl." Fifteen minutes passed by and Harry continued to look out the window, looking for anything in the distance resembling an owl. Then he saw it. An owl, heading dead straight towards him.
0000000000000000000000000000
That's the end of this chapter, tune in next time. I hope you enjoyed it. Review if you will. It helps so much in writing to get feedback. It it sucks, tell me. If you like it or think that it can be improved, tell me. Alright, I'm out.
Sign up to rate and review this story