Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Clanluna

Chapter 35: “Sorry ah got inna fight in the middle of your Black Panther Party”

by selenepotter

Ranec vs. Grev vs. Ona

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Angst,Crossover,Humor - Characters: Luna - Warnings: [!!!] [V] [X] [?] - Published: 2008-08-08 - Updated: 2008-08-09 - 3032 words - Complete

?Blocked
to the cowardly person who habitually "-1 Trainwreck"s every single chapter of this fic, but never reviews, I make hyenna noises! ;-0
(chickens were not in europe during this era)
I'm sorry you don't like this fic, and am glad, but mystified, that you are still reading. ;-)

Clanluna

Chapter 35: “Sorry ah got inna fight in the middle of your Black Panther Party”

Harry Potter is owned by JK Rowling
Earth’s Children is owned by Jean Auel


Abraxas Clan of the Clanluna List

Living Members:

Thonlan (17) – Other, Woodworker, Jondolar’s brother, 9th Ranked male Hunter (Cave Lion totem)
---Luna (24) – Other, Leader, 1st Weech, Creb’s widow, Thonlan’s mate, (Snorkack totem)
-------Zeen – (5) ½ Clan, son of Luna, Goov’s Acolyte, 2nd Weez-Ur (Ursus Totem)
-------Mara – (1) Other, Luna’s Daughter, Weech
---------Ansalong (13) - Owl
---------Winter Sleeper (4) – Cave Bear
------------Bop (1) – male Cave Bear
------------Honey Lover (0) female Cave Bear cub

Zar (24) ½ Clan, 1st Ranked male hunter, Goov’s Acolyte, Clanluna’s Acolyte, (Ursus Totem)
---Ayla (18) – Other, Clan’s 1st Ranked Medicine Woman, 2nd Weech, 2nd Ranked Woman-Who-Hunts, Zar’s Mate, (Cave Lion totem)
--------Durc (7) – ½ Clan, Ayla’s son, (Gray Wolf totem)
--------Iza (5) – ¼ Clan, Ayla’s daughter, 3rd Weech, training to become Woman-Who-Hunts
(Unicorn Totem)
--------Mariza (1) Other, Ayla’s daughter, Weech
---Ranec (20) of the Mammutoi, - Other, carver

Vorn (17) – Clan, Uka’s son, 2nd Ranked male hunter
---Uba (12) – Clan, Medicine Woman, Vorn’s mate, Iza’s daughter
------Uma (3) – Clan, Uba’s daughter
------Vuba (1) – ½ Clan, Uba’s daughter
---Uka (29) – Clan, Ebra’s sister, Grod’s widow, Vorn’s Mother

Goov (24) – Clan, mog-ur, 10th Ranked male hunter, (Aurochs totem/Ursus totem)
---Ovra (22) – Clan, Goov’s mate, (Beaver totem)
------Oogra (3) – Clan, Ovra’s daughter

Groog (29) – 1/8 Clan, 3rd Ranked male hunter (megaceros totem)
---Iga (25) - Other, (formerly: Andromedanaea of the Sungaea) 3rd Ranked Woman-Who-Hunts, red-foot, Clanluna (one-who-serves-the-Mother) Groog’s Mate
------Griga (3) – 1/16 Clan, Iga’s daughter
------Wilmar (1) – Other, Iga’s Son

Broog (23) – ½ Clan, 4th Ranked male hunter
---Ena (22) – ½ Clan, 4th Ranked Woman-Who-Hunts
------Boov (8) – ½ Clan son of Ena
------Brena (1) – ½ Clan daughter of Ena
------Ura (7) – ½ Clan, daughter of Oda, future mate of Durc

Vorv (21) – ½ Clan, 5th Ranked male hunter
---Uva (19) – ½ Clan, mate of Vorv
------Broov (8) – ½ Clan son of Uva (looks full Clan)
------Ugra (7) – ½ Clan daughter of Uva (looks full Others) training to become Woman-Who-Hunts
------Vorva (3) – ½ Clan daughter of Uva
------Zoug (1) – ¼ Clan son of Uva

Brac (12) – Clan, Oga’s 1st son, 6th Ranked hunter (Bison totem)
---Igra (10) – Clan, Ika’s daughter, Brac’s Mate
------Broud (1) ½ Clan, Igra’s Daughter.

Crug (26) – Clan, 7th Ranked male hunter (wolf totem)
---Ika (24) – Clan, Crug’s mate
------Crik (3) – Clan, Ika’s son
------Dorv (3) Clan, Oga’s 3rd son
------Corg (1) ½ Clan, Oga’s 4th Son

Groob (10) – Clan, Aga’s son, toolmaker, 8th Ranked male Hunter
---Eva (11) – ½ Clan daughter of Ena, 5th Ranked Woman-Who-Hunts
---Aga (28) – Clan, Droog’s widow, Groob’s mother

Grev (9) – Clan, Oga’s 2nd son, 11th Ranked male Hunter
---Ona (13) – Clan, Borg’s widow (Owl totem)
------Bona (3) Clan, Ona’s daughter
------Orga (1) ½ Clan, Ona’s daughter


Does the Leader remember when she told this woman that she could choose her own mate?” signed Ona.

“Yes, you chose Grev because he was the only single man,” signed Luna.

“Is it too late for this woman to change her mind?” asked Ona.

“No. If you are unhappy at Grev’s hearth, you may move to another,” signed Luna.

“Then, this woman chooses him!” signed Ona, as she pointed a Ranec.

Chapter 35: “Sorry ah got inna fight in the middle of your Black Panther Party”

“This Leader can’t make him be your mate, he’s not part of our Clan,” signed Luna.

“What? What’s she saying?” asked Ranec.

“She wants you to be her mate,” explained Luna, in Mammutoi.

“WHAT? But I hardly know her!” exclaimed Ranec, as Ona cringed.

“Perhaps he could move to the guest hearth,” suggested Iga. “Ona could live there too, even though they’re not officially mated?”

“That’s a good idea,” signed Luna, before turning back to Ranec. “The Clanluna suggests that you could move to the guest hearth and Ona could stay with you even though you’re not officially mated.”

“Look, I apologize for the misunderstanding,” said Ranec. “I’m not familiar with your customs. I thought last night was a Mother Festival, like the Mammutoi have. I wouldn’t have given her the Signal if I’d known Sharing Pleasures would obligate me to Join with her.”

“You’re not obligated to do anything,” explained Luna. “She’s just trying to get away from her current mate, Grev.”

“But- But he’s just a kid!” exclaimed Ranec.


“He’s a man, but hasn’t been one very long,” signed Zar. “This man doesn’t think Grev was up to taking on the responsibility of a mate with two children.”

“What?” asked Ranec, as Luna and Iga nodded, in agreement.

“Ona has to have a mate because she’s Clan,” diverted Luna. “Clan people are unable to perform the tasks of the other gender. She can’t leave Grev’s hearth unless she has another hearth to go to.”

“You don’t have to be her mate, you don’t even have to give her the Signal,” signed Iga. “Just let her cook and take care of you until you leave.”

“This woman doesn’t mind if he gives her the Signal,” added Ona.

Once Luna had translated this exchange, Ranec stared deeply into Ona’s eyes for several minutes seeing the silent pleading within.

“Al- Alright,” said Ranec. “I’ll move to the guest hearth. Ona can stay with me until I continue my journey.”

“And you’ll give this woman the Signal?” asked Ona, hopefully.

Ranec didn’t understand any of that except the Signal, and the hope in her eyes. He leaned forward and kissed her gently, then pulled back and smiled at her.

“This Woman will go get her things!” signed Ona as she headed to the back of the chamber where the hearths of the lowest Ranked male and the guest hearth were.

Ona began grabbing her possessions and tossing them into the guest hearth next store.

“What are you doing?!” demanded Grev, as Ona picked her furs up and tossed them in the next hearth.

“This woman is not your mate anymore!” waved Ona. “Luna said so!”

“What! Stop! STOP! STOP!” waved Grev before cuffing her.

Ranec, who had been watching, charged over and leaped on Grev in a flying tackle! Grev twisted around and pulled Ranec under him so he could beat his head against the floor of the cave repeatedly. The taller, thinner man of the Others was no match of the compact muscular Clan man in a wrestling match.

Zar grabbed Grev’s arms and pulled him off of Renec, only to see Grev punched in the gut by the Mammutoi man as soon as he’d regained his footing.

Crug grabbed Ranec and pulled him away from Grev.

“Don’t you Ever, EVER, let me catch you hitting a woman again!” yelled Ranec.

Zar glanced at Goov and The Mog-Ur rose and followed Zar and Crug as they hustled Grev and Ranec into the chamber used for men’s ceremonies. Realizing, they would need a translator, Thonlan kissed Ayla goodbye and followed them back into the cave. The men stumbled around in the dark by memory as they hustled the perpetrators to the circle and forced them to sit. Zar pulled out his firestone and flint. Ranec gasped when zar struck them together and a spark lit up the chamber. Zar was lucky and that single spark was enough to start the tinder and soon the fire was going. By the time the chamber was fully lit, Vorn and Groob had drifted into the room. The rest of the men filtered in as Zeen took up a place guarding the entrance to make sure none of the other children or women saw the men’s conversation. Zeen had his back to the passage, so he couldn’t see them either.

“MEN DO NOT HIT OTHER MEN! It’s not Clan!” signed The Mog-Ur. “We may not be Clan anymore, but The Mog-Ur thinks that we can all agree that it’s not Clanluna for men to hit other men either.”

There were nods all around as Thonlan translated:

“It is forbidden for men to hit each other amongst our people.”

“But it’s okay for men to hit women?” shot back Ranec, defiantly.

“Ranec, I agree with you,” said Thonlan. “I was born to the Zellandoni, and adopted by the Sharamudoi. Both peoples are Children of the Mother, like the Mammutoi. But Grev and Ona were born Clan. They didn’t even know about, much, less honor the Mother before the Clanluna came. Now that we’ve become a new people, we’ll have to have a new way of doing things. I think this new way should include no hitting at all. But even if we all agree to that, there will be times when people who were born Clan, slip into the old ways.”

The other men nodded their respect of Thonlan’s wisdom.

“Can we all agree that people hitting each other is not the Clanluna way?” moved Zar.

“But men have always disciplined women!” waved Brac, angrily. “It’s Clan!”

“But we’re not Clan anymore!” pointed out Groob.

“We should probably, ban hitting but make the punishment less severe if a Clan man slips up and cuffs a woman,” signed Vorn. “Cuffing a woman is a lot less serious than fighting one, like Broud used to do.”

“This man doesn’t think there should be any punishment at all if a man cuffs his own mate,” signed Crug.

“This man doesn’t think hitting women should be allowed under any circumstances,” signed Groog.

“This man is perfectly able to express his displeasure at his mate without hitting her,” signed Broog.

“This man agrees with Broog,” signed Vorv. “He’s never cuffed his mate either.”

“Men, we’ve strayed from the topic a bit,” pointed out The Mog-Ur. “Grev and Ranec were fighting each other. . . What should their punishment be?”

“Ranec is not actually a member of the Clanluna,” pointed out Zar. “So we can’t really punish him for breaking our rules . . . especially if we haven’t agreed on what our rules actually are. And Grev was only defending his self from Ranec. This man thinks no punishment should be given.”

“What’s he saying?” asked Ranec.

“That you and Grev should not be punished for fighting,” translated Thonlan.

“What about for hitting Ona?” asked Ranec. “Amongst my people not man would dream of being so cowardly as to hit a woman!”

“This man will show you cowardly, you hyena!” waved Grev, as Vorn put a restraining hand on his shoulder.

“I don’t like it any more than you do, but Grev was acting according to the Clan customs that used to rule us,” explained Thonlan. We’re still trying to figure out what Clanluna customs are.”

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The meeting broke up without deciding anything concerning violence towards women. When Ranec stepped into the first chamber of the cave, he saw Ona with her two children sitting at the guest hearth, looking at him expectantly. Aga was still sitting at Grev’s hearth looking down demurely. Having spent the night with Grev, she’d never left.

Ranec smiled at Ona and gave her a quick kiss before going over to Zar’s hearth to gather his few possessions.

“Why are you still here?” Grev asked Aga.

“Luna said this woman could have you as a mate,” explained Aga. “She’s going to have The Mog-Ur perform the mating tonight!”

Grev gritted his teeth in frustration!

While Ranec was gathering up his knifes, spears and the bloody remains of his tunic, leggings and parka (his clothes were decorated with bone beads that were salvageable), Ranec spotted something strange at Zar’s hearth. It appeared to be a couple of leather flaps with a stack of some unknown material between them. The stack had a leather strap tied around it with a shiny stone fastener. Overcome with curiosity, Ranec fiddled with the buckle until he figured out how to undo it.

As soon as he did so, the book snapped at him! Ranec backed away as the book continued to try to bite him until, finally, he had to take refuge by standing on a ledge where the book couldn’t get him!

Seeing his predicament, Ayla leapt back to her hearth to rescue him. Since she was learning Care of Magical Creatures, Luna had loaned her the 1st year textbook on the subject. Although Ayla and Iza didn’t have trouble with the Monster Book of Monsters, the other members of their hearth were not so lucky. As a result, Ayla had to keep the book tied shut when she wasn’t reading it.

Ayla stroked the book until it calmed down then refastened the belt around it.

“What is that thing?” exclaimed Ranec.

Ayla held it up so he could read the title, before remembering that he didn’t know how to read.

“This is where some of my Weech knowledge comes from,” explained Ayla, in Mammutoi.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

That night, Grev and Aga were mated. Supposedly, Grev was not being punished for fighting, but you couldn’t tell it from his expression during his mating. With Grev and Aga in seclusion, there were no new incidents between him and the visitor.

Ona’s wealth had dramatically increased by living at the guest hearth! Last fall, Grev had picked more meat as his share of the hunts instead of hides. As a result, Ona had been using scraps to try to enlarge the winter clothes of her children. Once she’d moved to the guest hearth, the other women gave her enough hides that she could now make new tunics, boots, leggings and parkas, not only for both her children, but for herself and Ranec too. Ranec started carving gifts for each of the women who had given them supplies.

When they were Sharing Pleasures, Ona would make fake moans during the valleys, just to bother Grev by letting him know how much she enjoyed Relieving Ranec’s Needs. But as she got closer to Relieving her own Needs, she’d go silent and her breathing would get deeper and faster as she lost herself in Ranec.

It was the longest winter any of them could remember. Twice a day, Luna still had to go out and milk the snorkacks, even in blinding snowstorms. Every time she did this, Thonlan feared she wasn’t coming back.

Once he’d gotten settled, Renec decide to go into the storage cave that adjoined the first chamber to get Ona some more furs. In the dim torch light, Ranec spotted a couple of piles of furs. The one on top was a bear skin with the head still attached. When Ranec grabbed the fur and pulled on it, trying to pick it up, it opened its’ eyes and growled at him.

“Aaaahhhh!!!!” yelled Ranec and he ran back to get his spear.

“What’s wrong?” asked Ona as he ran back to their hearth and grabbed his spear.

“There’s a Cave Bear in the cave!” yelled Ranec. As he started back to the other cave, Zeen intercepted him.

“No!” yelled Zeen as he wrapped his arms around Ranec’s leg.

“Let go! There’s a Cave Bear in there!” yelled Ranec as he tried to shake off the boy.

“Ranec, that’s Wintersleeper, she and Bop live with us,” explained Luna.

“She’s got a new cub too!” signed Zeen once he was sure it was safe to let go of Ranec.

TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

“Do your people have a taboo against Sharing Pleasures with a- you know a-“ asked Ranec.

“a flathead?” finished Thonlan, as Ranec nodded. “Yes, it’s probably the biggest taboo amongst the Zelandonii and the Sharamudoi. The Mammutoi are the same way, aren’t they?”

“yeah,” admitted Ranec, sheepishly. “Did you ever break that taboo?”

“A couple times with Uba,” admitted Thonlan. “I think breaking the taboo made it hotter! Why are you asking about this? Are you thinking about becoming one of us?”

“Thinking about it, yes,” admitted Ranec.

“You know, Ona is going to insist on Joining with you, if you do,” pointed out Thonlan.

“Believe me, that’s a good thing, not a bad thing,” laughed Ranec. “I just hope I’m up to the responsibility. Can you believe the way she waits on me hand and foot?”

“All the Clan women are that way,” replied Thonlan. “It’s so bad that amongst the Clan a woman has to Share Pleasures with ANY man who asks her. The Clanluna has tried to change that and make it so the women know that can say, no. But I don’t think any of them, besides Luna believe it.”

“Really,” said Ranec, as his brow furrowed in concentration.

“Yeah, even with Clanluna’s reforms and a female Leader, men are still all headmen here,” said Thonlan.

After finishing his conversation with Thonlan, Ranec walked straight up to Luna and announced that he wanted to join the Clanluna.

That night, Ranec was adopted into the Clanluna and mated to Ona.

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Grev was relieved when his period of isolation with Aga had ended. When he had been mated to Ona, she had constantly tried to offer her the benefit of her older year by giving him advice. Grev found it annoying. But if Grev though Ona was a nagging harpy, she was nothing compared to Aga! She was old enough to be his mother and treated him like a child! Her disapproval took away his needs.

After he saw Ona mated to Ranec, Grev followed Groob and Eva back to their hearth.

“Is there something this man can do for you, Grev?” asked Groob.

“This man would like your permission to Relieve his Needs with your mate,” asked Grev, politely.


Note: Anyone have a copy of TMH and know the long version of Ranec’s ties? I’d like the same for Thonolan too.
Sign up to rate and review this story