Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Inheritance and Fate

Harry looks at himself in a mirror

by mgenna

Harry takes his first few steps into the magical world. He is learning what the components of his legacy are. Note: A reader let me know that my chapters seemed to be missing texts. I have up...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Sci-fi - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2011-03-23 - Updated: 2011-03-26 - 2955 words

?Blocked
Looking in the mirror, it dawned on Harry how bad a horrific situation was. He came to the magic world to escape his mother's blood family, only to find out he had his father's blood to blame for this craptastic choice.



"So you are telling me, I should have received notice before now."



"Not exactly, Mr. Potter. Your founding Potter placed certain conditions on his inheritance." Griphook reviewed the form again to see what language a muggle raised wizard would need to understand what was currently going on.



"Alright, can you recap the entire thing?"



"I pulled you away from Hagrid because there are explicit instructions for all Potters'heirs. You've already missed two benchmarks. If I had not brought you in here now, you would have lost most if not all the money your forefathers put aside for you. You also have some tremendous responsibilities along with the money and the property, but if you want OUT of depending on your current living family..."



"I'm amale, how can I possibly fulfill those outstanding debts to those other families?"



"That is the point of the first two benchmarks: The first test at eight years of age would have tested your understanding of the Potter legacy. The second test at onset of puberty would have examined your fluids to determine whether you could cover the obligations of inheritance. Now, you have to rush through both tests before you leave here today."



"Can you take Hagrid to his vault and explain this to him?"



"We pride ourselves at Gringotts in keeping our clients' confidentiality. Hagrid can know if you tell him. We can keep Hagrid from leaving the bank until you are finished with your testing. Is that acceptable to you?"



"I agree."



What followed was beyond what the magically uninformed could understand. Harry had no idea what his agreement meant for himself and the next 7 years of Hogwarts.

"I have passed the test with limited information. What can you tell me about these debts?"



"You have a puzzle to complete which will explain everything else to you. Gringotts will expect you to produce proof to clear your first Potter debt. At that time, you will receive the next release of funds.



Thanks for coming into our bank today. Since you have not received our owls and for the last three years and did not know of your trust vault, we are going to give you a ledger so we can communicate with you for all your banking needs. The ledger has a wallet, instructions for all its parts, a regular account statement section, and a journal for discussing our services. Remember you should come back in before the school year ends. If you can't rely on your school authorities to bring you into the bank or your muggle relatives aren't trustworthy, Gringotts will send a representative out to collect you. Please keep May 1st in mind to contact the bank.



I suggest you contact a Muggleborn attorney to find out who is tampering with your post. The Muggleborn could explain how to receive mail through Muggle and owl post without alerting the mail thief that you know what they are doing. Ask the shopkeepers today any and all questions you have about the wizarding world."

Harry walked out of the private client area of the bank. He sought out Hagrid and found him leaning on the entryway post. The Goblins guarding the front entrance were watching him, but did not ask him to move.



"Harry, Iam sorry I couldn't take you to your vault on your first day in the wizarding world. I am also on Hogwarts business. Rattler told me Griphook got you squared away. Do you need anything else at the bank?"



"No. Ijust need to get the supplies on this list. Can I get you something? You don't look so good."



"I don't feel so good either. I'm going to point you in the right direction for clothes, books, and potions ingredients. I'll go to the Leaky Cauldron so Ican get myself sorted out. If we get separated, I will look for you in those 3 places Harry."





Harry watched Hagrid walk away from Gringotts. As far as he knew, there were more than 3 places he needed to go to get the supplies.



Why would Hogwarts send a professor who wasn't going to really show him around?



"Doesn't matter. I've always had to make a way for myself. Today will be no different."



A boy approached him from the side. "I don't mean to eavesdrop, but you can come with me and my cousin. I'm waiting for him to finish up inside. When he comes out we can start at the top of your list and go from there. How's that?"



"I am Harry. It works for me. If you help me with the things I don't know here, Iwill help you carry what you collect today. Fair?



"Sure. Iam Cedric."



A tall man stepped out of Gringotts and met the boys at the bottom steps.



"I didn't know you invited anyone else along Ced." He turned to Harry, asking "Do you have any shops you want to make sure you go to?"



"Yes, Iwant to go to the owl post office. Gringotts told me to get some special supplies. Will we have time to do that?"



"I'm Ian. I'm taking Cedric to get his first portkey. It is a rite of passage for each MacKenzie. Since I am the last of our line, I want to make sure Cedric knows what our contribution has been." By this time, we walked pass the stationary shop and the place with musical wind chimes outside. Ian and Cedric were leading him away from the Leaky Cauldron where Hagrid went. The sign called it, Blues Alley.



"I'm Harry. Maybe you can teach me some things too. Do you mind?"



"Sure. We will duck into Leit's Transport, get the key and start on your list."



The shop keeper met us at the door smiling at Ced. "Today's the big day?"



Ian looked at Ced. When Ced didn't respond, he told Leit "I want the package deluxe deal that all MacKenzies receive."



Harry walked around the shop where the booths were. Leit stepped into the shop's storage area. Harry saw a table filled with magazines, books and Transportation keys. He looked through the booth to figure out what this place sold or even how it was used.



Ian called Harry over to sit with he and Cedric. "Since Ced invited you with us today, I want you to see what my family is known for."



Leit brought back a jewelry box.



"Okay, Cedric this is a multi-pack transport. This device is a Mac Delight. I only have access to them because your great granddad patented the initial design. He gain my family exclusive rights to make or sell these devices to light families. You and your family will continue to receive residuals from this device. I haven't sold many since Harry Potter defeated Voldermort, but I'm the reason so many light families survived in the last blood war. Your great grandad's idea allowed a few to escape Grindenwald. Your legacy will benefit many for an age. You should be proud of your line."



Ian put his hand on Cedric's shoulder and smiled at him. "Do you know now why you are here today?



"You want me to know why there are only two MacKenzie's left?"



"Yes. Your mother and I are all that survived. I know you just finished your third year, but Hogwarts won't teach you what you need to know to survive or protect your family. I want you to work in this shop for the rest of this summer so Leit can teach you how we both made it through the last two wars.

When Isaw you speaking to Harry on the steps and you invited him with us, I thought we should offer him the same chance."



Cedric looked at Leit, "What time do you want me to come into the shop?"



"Anytime after 10 pm."



Harry pulled Ian to the side to ask him a couple of questions about Mac Delight.



"What does it do? How much does it cost?"





"The Mac Delight supplies portkeys in the first drawer. The second drawer diagrams how to erect a portal between two places. It has the chalk, the location markers, and the runes needed so you can journey between two distant points. The third drawer shows you how to enchant items big or small to fly to specific destinations. The glass portion of the jewelry box is a decoy so no one but you knows what it is.



Harry, it is an investment cost. Hogwarts costs 4,000 galleons a year. Most wizards at the ministry make about 350 to 500 galleons a month. This device is 1000 galleons. Cedric is coming back to learn how to fully use Mac Delight. In order to enchant bigger items, find locations outside of Britain, or create international port keys; you have to come back and buy other things. Cedric will learn the mechanics of the device because as an heir he has to learn how to improve it. Each one of us MacKenzies have placed our personal stamp on how it operates."



"Is this something that will violate the underage wizardry law?"



"No, it is not traceable. The ministry has nothing to do with our family magics. You know about it because you saved our lives---Grace Diggory and mine. This gives me the opportunity to repay my wizard's debt and save your life one day.



"I don't understand."



"Each pureblood family owes you a life debt who stood against Voldermort. He eliminated entire lines in the 1970s. You put a stop to it. Your mother and father paid the ultimate cost. The reason we survived is Voldermort and his Death Eaters disbanded before the last MacKenzies were killed. They killed over 45 of my family members in 8 years: men, women, and children.



You will find a list of life debts in Hogwarts' Library. There is a wall panel next to the Restricted section. Place your heir's ring next to the painting of Merlin. Most pureblood families know to walk directly into room from their common room. Since Dumbledore has kept you under wraps for 10 years, I want to make sure you know the legacy of the Potters. The number of life debts owed to you will be contained in that room."



"After today, can I write you and ask you more questions about this?"



Leit and Cedric finished their discussion. Ian shook Leit's hand and pulled Cedric to the side. Harry approached Leit.



"I want to buy Mac Delight. Can you sell me an instruction manual or a guide to magical transport?"



"I can and I will. I need your money, a vow, and your blood to make this work."



"How does a vow work? Why do you need my blood?



"In order to sell you MacKenzie family magic, I need your vow that you will take their property and not make yourself rich from their work. The ministry makes aprofit from family magics by taking away the licensing deal. I need your blood to seal away the promise in this jewelry box. It will look like a regular keepsake to anyone I haven't cleared to know the secret.



I will sell you a book which will make life as a young wizard much easier. It includes a self help guide to runes and other magic you can practice over the summer. If you have questions or can improve on it, owl me."



Harry bought the device, the guide, and some of the books on the display case he saw when he first came into Leit's Transport.



The Owl Post was in Cannon Alley. Harry bought a year's subscription service after Ian told him he should have received post from other light families trying to negotiate their life debts. Harry received ivory mail box that automatically shrunk when it was not in use. He could send out any post he needed and his correspondents had a place to send any requests or information.



Ian and Ced took Harry to Wyatt's Luggage and Upholstery Equipment in Knockturn Alley for his special needs. Wyatt sold furniture and kits to pull refurbish poorly used items. Harry asked Ced to look for bunk material for beds while he directed Ian to find equipment for desks. He approached Wyatt on his own because he didn't want anyone to know all of the things he needed.



"Can you help me outfit a four bedroom house?"



"I can. Why don't you go to Kitty Alley to get all the furniture you want? It will cost you more in my shop."



"Ian said you specialize starter kits for furniture makers. I am underage and the tools I need to use can't have active magic in them. If I want to furnish my own place, I have to build it up from scratch with no active magic. Can you help me or direct me to another shop?"



"It will cost you 1000 galleons to get a starter kit, special instruction, supplies/material, upholder equipment, and the trade secrets connected with building/outfitting/redoing a four bedroom house. Can you afford it?



"If you throw in series of model homes and businesses that I practice taking apart and put back together along with the materials Ian and Ced are collecting for me, then you have a deal."



Ian and Ced brought up the materials I asked them to fetch. They told me they'd meet me outside the door when I finished the purchase.



Wyatt wanted the same blood, vow, and galleon deal I gave Leit. It must be how they do things here in the magic world.

Ced and Ian dropped me off at Rudy's Trunk store. It had been 3 hours since he left Gringotts. I wondered whether I would need to catch the London Rail to get back to Surrey.



Ian recommended I make another investment purchase before Hagrid returned. He steered me away from the standard trunk for Hogwarts.



"Harry, you just bought 3 items that will force you to use an unlimited amount of space. Assuming you get the remainder of your list, a standard trunk won't hold all of your purchases much less last through 7 years of Hogwarts. Get acommercial trunk that is designed for a traveling professional. Most of the items in which Rudy make students pay extra are included in a commercial trunk plus you can come back and add features you need as your career grows and changes. Why pay twice for something you are going to need for a lifetime?



"Done." Harry asked Rudy what it would cost to get a periodic update on the commericial trunk before he decided.



"Harry, would you consider paying full price up front with a contract to update features over time?"



"No, you or I could die before it is time for an update."



"How about if I include instructions on how to update the separate compartments and you come into the shop if you have questions or you have problems refining any updates you set?"



"I will pay full price only if you include periodic updates so long as we both shall live, you provide me with an instruction manual that explicitly details how you layer different compartments on top the standard format you've laid out here, and you allow me to use this information to charm my bookbags, briefcase, suitcases, grocery bag, or any other storage item I may need or use."



"That is worth far more than full price."



"You will have my blood, my vow, and my money. I won't compete with you or use your family magics to make a profit. I will even increase your sale price by 2/3rds."



"I owe your family a life debt. You forgive me my debt and it is yours for no money, but the vow and blood stand."



"Since Idon't know what the debt concerns, you give me the trunk and manual. I give you my vow and blood along with the 2/3rds price. When and if I look up the debt and find that it is an even exchange, you refund me the cost of the trunk and/or release me from the vow and the blood seal. Deal?"



"It is only a deal if the even exchange cancels the debt."



"We can settle this now if you tell me how you incurred the debt."



"I can't tell you directly. Get back to me when you do know. For now, pay full price. I will let the manual go with a vow and blood with our joint promise to re-examine this exchange."



"Done."



Harry thanked Ian and Ced for teaching him as much as they had. Harry promised to keep in touch. Even though Harry spent twice as muuch as he planned without getting most of his Hogwarts supplies, he figured he had learned as much as he could absorb in 4 or 5 hours.

Hagrid came into Rudy's trunk as all three were leaving. Hagrid thanked Ced and Ian for watching after Harry.



"I haven't finished this list yet, Hagrid. Will you bring me back before school starts?"



"I will pick you up in two weeks." Hagrid handed Harry a catalogue of crafts and services in Diagon Alley. He also showed Harry how to catch the Knight Bus just in case Harry wanted to bring the Dursleys with him to Diagon Alley.



After he left Hagrid, the problem remained how would inherit the Potter legacy and how he was going to pay Potter debts as a male. Harry started reading the manuals I had received, maybe the answer would come to him.
Sign up to rate and review this story